Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:17:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 292243 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #200 on: April 06, 2009, 12:25:05 PM »

I had a couple gripes about Yankee Stadium, too...but they're INCREDIBLY minor.

First, the obstructed view bleacher seats......there aren't a lot of them (about 400 or so) and they DID try to give those seats SOMETHING (ie: currently 3, soon to be 5, HD monitors on each of the "obstructing" walls), but the fact that they exist is a little bit of a pet peave. Granted, with the open concourses, the ability for the bleacher fans to actually get to the REST of the ballpark (something they couldn't do, before), and the fact those seats only cost $5, I'm probably quibbling.

Second, the "dark corridor" that leads from the field level seats over to the bleacher area.  It's about 15 feet wide (1/2 the size of the rest of the concourse, at best), dark, and feels very gloomy/spooky.  They HAVE to find a way to brighten this up or decorate it.  It's terrible, and it doesn't "fit" with the feel of the rest of the park.

Third, they need more cheesesteak places. Seriously.  20 minute wait on Friday night...an HOUR BEFORE GAME TIME...for a cheesesteak.  During the game, I heard waits were 30 to 45 minutes, with lines snaking down the concourse.   Smiley

One other thing:  Whoever decided for the setup to dictate that YES has to shoot 90% of it's live game footage THROUGH THE NET behind homeplate should be castrated, hung out side of the stadium, and allowed to be "stoned" by the fans.  You'd think, given the team owns the damn network that SOME KIND of better plan would have been taken into account when building the park.  Having watched the game from HOME on Saturday....it's VERY distracting/annoying.

Otherwise, the park is gorgeous.  Lots to see and check out.  Monument park is really classy, and nice (and you can get a peek into the Yanks bullpen).  The museum area is likewise interesting and beautiful....and the Great Hall has to be seen to be believed. Words, and even the pics I've seen, just don't do it justice.  If you're a Yanks fan, it's awe inspiring and breathtaking. 

The concourses are nice and wide, and it's a GREAT change to have them open to the field.  We'll see how much of a logistical nightmare it becomes when fans end up not taking THEIR seats, and ringing the concourse around the field seats to watch the game.  I think they planned it well enough that it will "work" just fine.

While I was there, I ended up with 2 tickets to April 18th...again in the Audi Club (which was stupendous...beautiful, great food, great service...view was OK.  You're basically wrapped around the left field foul pole, set back and up...you can see a good shot of where it is by watching Cody Ransom's home run on Friday night).  I'm bringing my wife this time...can't WAIT to go back!

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #201 on: April 06, 2009, 03:34:10 PM »

Opening day!

Pop open a cold one, throw some dogs on the grill, and enjoy the renewal of the best things in life: throwing out a runner at the plate, setting up a hitter high and tight before throwing a breaking ball low and away, taking a "sick day" because you've got baseball fever...this just might be my favorite day of the year.  beer

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2009, 07:08:17 PM »

Opening day!

Pop open a cold one, throw some dogs on the grill, and enjoy the renewal of the best things in life: throwing out a runner at the plate, setting up a hitter high and tight before throwing a breaking ball low and away, taking a "sick day" because you've got baseball fever...this just might be my favorite day of the year.  beer
My favorite day(s) of the year are the first 2 days of March Madness.  12+ hours of college basketball on that Thursday and Friday can't be beat for me.  Though, opening day in baseball probably comes next.  Although today kind of sucked being a Red Sox fan, getting rained out.  I had it all planned out to get out of work early enough to catch the whole game and Mother Nature had to interfere.  Luckily they called it early enough so I could move my schedule around and work a semi short day tomorrow for opening day take 2 at 4pm.  Why the heck are the Sox opening at home against the Rays anyway?  You're just asking for bad weather when you could be playing in a dome.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »

Opening day!

My favorite day(s) of the year are the first 2 days of March Madness.  12+ hours of college basketball on that Thursday and Friday can't be beat for me.  Though, opening day in baseball probably comes next.  Although today kind of sucked being a Red Sox fan, getting rained out.  I had it all planned out to get out of work early enough to catch the whole game and Mother Nature had to interfere.  Luckily they called it early enough so I could move my schedule around and work a semi short day tomorrow for opening day take 2 at 4pm.  Why the heck are the Sox opening at home against the Rays anyway?  You're just asking for bad weather when you could be playing in a dome.

Yeah, those first two rounds are magical.  After that my interest level falls off.  Probably something about the odds of one game out of four being worth watching, definitely love the upsets and buzzer beaters (though those seemed down this year).

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2009, 07:11:54 PM »

phils finally got a W! and what a way to get it. unbelievable game. and they got their rings today so it was nice to finish the day off with a dramatic win.

it was great to see the bats come alive and steal a win. and the bullpen looked as deadly as they did last year. Madson was hitting 96mph consistently with a changeup around 83mph. and when Lidge has his sinker going, that's probably the nastiest pitch in the game.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2009, 11:55:48 PM »

Texas Rangers have actually won two games now!  I know that's not a real big deal to anyone else, but it's cool in my house!!
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #206 on: April 09, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »

Just got offered the following trade in fantasy league, looking for some input...

I receive Brian McCann and Mark Teahan.

Bob receives Jared Saltalamachia and Kevin Youkilis.

What do you guys think?

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #207 on: April 10, 2009, 12:07:06 AM »

Big upgrade at catcher.  Big downgrade at 1B.  Salty hasn't lived up to the hype since he left Atlanta.  Teahen is average at best.  In my opinion, Youkilis is the best player in the deal and I never like to be the one giving up the best player in any deal.  But if you have a better option to replace Youk then Teahen than it'd be easier to deal with.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #208 on: April 10, 2009, 02:50:29 PM »

what are the stats in your fantasy league? that is important. how many teams in the league?

Mccann is a huge hitting Catcher though and they are a lot more scarce than good hitting first basemen.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #209 on: April 10, 2009, 03:03:08 PM »

I managed to get this trade out of him..

I Get:
Brian McCann (C)
Mark Teahan (1B, 3B, OF)
Felipe Lopez (2B, 3B, SS, OF)

He Gets:
Jarrod Saltalamachia (C)
Kevin Youkilis (1B, 3B)
Marco Scutaro (2B, 3B, SS)

I have Garrett Atkins to move from 3B to 1B on my roster, Lopez can play 3B for the time being, maybe a possible trade in the future. I'll also have Mark Teahen to hopefully put up some nice numbers in KC...

Our stat categories are...
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG, OBP, SLG
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2009, 12:11:51 PM »

I like the trade a lot more with the addition of Lopez for Scutaro.  Lopez could put up some quality numbers, he has done so in the past.  Scutaro is a decent player, but not a factor in fantasy despite his hot start in week 1.

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #211 on: April 11, 2009, 06:07:38 PM »

Yeah I figured it was a better trade overall. Plus Lopez is a fantasy nut being able to play all those positions...
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2009, 04:15:34 PM »

Fan cries foul over Yankee Stadium ejection
Man sues, was booted for going to restroom during 'God Bless America'

NEW YORK - A baseball fan says he was ejected from Yankee Stadium for leaving his seat to use the bathroom while "God Bless America'' played.

Bradford Campeau-Laurion filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday against New York City and the Yankees.

The lawsuit contends he was made a victim of political and religious discrimination on Aug. 26.

It says two police officers who ejected him were enforcing a Yankees policy that keeps spectators in their seats during the song.

A spokeswoman says the city law office has no immediate comment. A Yankees representative did not immediately return a call.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30230537/

Seriously?  I didn't realize the Yanks were in the North Korean League.

Is this really a policy?  What if you have a medical condition? 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2009, 07:35:36 PM »

That is rough, don't they stop selling booze around that time?  What kind of a policy is that to interfere with last call?  I guess the guy should've just urinated in his seat, that would've been much better for everyone, right?

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #214 on: April 15, 2009, 07:40:03 PM »

That is rough, don't they stop selling booze around that time?  What kind of a policy is that to interfere with last call?  I guess the guy should've just urinated in his seat, that would've been much better for everyone, right?

In all honesty, I'm not sure why we're singing God Bless America at ball games anyway.  Do they do this in lieu of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #215 on: April 15, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »

In all honesty, I'm not sure why we're singing God Bless America at ball games anyway.  Do they do this in lieu of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"?

God Bless America was added to the 7th inning stretch after September 11, 2001.

Take Me Out To The Ballgame (or whatever song each individual stadium uses) is sung/played immediately after.

As far as the lawsuit goes, I have no idea if that really is a stadium policy or not.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2009, 09:05:30 PM »

Police spokesman Paul J. Browne said the officers, who were being paid by the Yankees to work at the Bronx stadium, ejected Campeau-Laurion, 30, after they ?observed a male cursing, using inappropriate language and acting in a disorderly manner while reeking of alcohol.?

He said the officers ?decided to eject him rather than subject others to his offensive behavior.?

i'm not gonna assume which side is lying, but my gut is telling this was just your typical drunk asshole - ya know, like most yankee fans. heyoooooooooooo!  hihi

just kidding. but there are two sides to the story and i'd be shocked if he was thrown out for simply walking during "god bless america." and i'd be shocked if the yankees have that policy.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »

God Bless America was added to the 7th inning stretch after September 11, 2001.

Take Me Out To The Ballgame (or whatever song each individual stadium uses) is sung/played immediately after.

As far as the lawsuit goes, I have no idea if that really is a stadium policy or not.

Yeah, I knew they added it...just didn't know they were still doing it at EVERY game.  Seems excessive, for such an international sport. 

Police spokesman Paul J. Browne said the officers, who were being paid by the Yankees to work at the Bronx stadium, ejected Campeau-Laurion, 30, after they ?observed a male cursing, using inappropriate language and acting in a disorderly manner while reeking of alcohol.?

He said the officers ?decided to eject him rather than subject others to his offensive behavior.?

i'm not gonna assume which side is lying, but my gut is telling this was just your typical drunk asshole - ya know, like most yankee fans. heyoooooooooooo!  hihi

just kidding. but there are two sides to the story and i'd be shocked if he was thrown out for simply walking during "god bless america." and i'd be shocked if the yankees have that policy.

I really hope this isn't a policy.  Talk about thought police, if it is.  Geez.

In my opinion, warn the guy once for disorderly behavior (drunk at a ballgame is hardly abnormal); boot him for a second instance.  I am curious what disorderly is.  "Cursing"?  It's fuckin' New York.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #218 on: April 15, 2009, 11:30:49 PM »

Yeah that sounds like a lame excuse.  If you get kicked out of the ballpark for swearing and reeking of booze, I'd never make it past the 3rd inning, and I'm a mild mannered guy.  But it's a frigging baseball game, give me a break.

I believe the Yankees are the only team that still plays God Bless America at every home game during the 7th inning stretch.  I've heard people question why they even sing the National Anthem at games.  I believe that tradition was started during/after WWII.  But honestly, why do that at a sporting event?  Why not before a movie at the movie theater?

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2009, 01:14:42 PM »

I got to walk onto Dodger Stadium after the game!  Stuck a few blades of grass in my pocket.

Also got to go to the Dodger bullpen.

I'm still buzzing about it!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: