Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 08:30:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 293319 times)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #920 on: October 23, 2009, 08:32:18 AM »

Sorry but we did. Our bullpen was terrible tonight and deserved that loss. You can't put it on bad calls they've gone both ways. The bullpen needs to shut them down after the offense gives them the lead. Period.

As for Swisher we need someone up there that can do more then pop the ball up or strikeout. He should be embarrassed by how he's not hitting.

Our bullpen was SET UP to lose.  Girardi has cost us TWO games in this series now.  Not cool.

Why do you leave Burnett in the game going into the 7th?  It makes ZERO sense.  He'd been shaky all night long.  He'd just sat for 20+ minutes.  You don't put him back in the game in the 7th.  And if you DO put him in...as soon as that first guy gets on base, you pull him.  You hand the bullpen 2 runners on base with no outs?  Not exactly setting them up for success.  And the numbers say BOTH Hughes and Joba pitch better when they start an inning, not when they're pulled into one in the middle.

7th should have been Joba, 2 outs in the 8th should have been Hughes, 4 outs to Mo.  They've practically freaking DIAGRAMMED it that way for the post-season.  Why wouldn't you stick to the plan?  Like I said, I just don't get it.  It makes no sense.

It's now a 2 game series.  Yanks gotta take one...hopefully game 6.  Because you NEVER want to play game 7, were anything wacky can happen. 

i agree 100%. good point about him sitting for so long as well - that was a long inning. i'm not familiar with the yanks bullpen (aside from Mo) but from what i've seen they are pretty good. no reason to be scared to turn things over to them in the 7th. i was pulling for the yanks (only because i want the WS hype to begin) and couldn't believe he came back out. angels fans must have been celebrating when they saw burnett coem back out.

i'd be stunned if the yanks lost this series. they are clearly the better team. it also seems like they have been coasting and turn it on when needed. everytime they need to score some runs, they do. they just need to get off to a good start. pettite at home should get it done.

the big issue looming for the yanks is IF it does go 7, CC would be unavailable for Game 1 of the WS.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #921 on: October 23, 2009, 03:32:48 PM »

Sorry but we did. Our bullpen was terrible tonight and deserved that loss. You can't put it on bad calls they've gone both ways. The bullpen needs to shut them down after the offense gives them the lead. Period.

As for Swisher we need someone up there that can do more then pop the ball up or strikeout. He should be embarrassed by how he's not hitting.

Our bullpen was SET UP to lose.  Girardi has cost us TWO games in this series now.  Not cool.

Why do you leave Burnett in the game going into the 7th?  It makes ZERO sense.  He'd been shaky all night long.  He'd just sat for 20+ minutes.  You don't put him back in the game in the 7th.  And if you DO put him in...as soon as that first guy gets on base, you pull him.  You hand the bullpen 2 runners on base with no outs?  Not exactly setting them up for success.  And the numbers say BOTH Hughes and Joba pitch better when they start an inning, not when they're pulled into one in the middle.

7th should have been Joba, 2 outs in the 8th should have been Hughes, 4 outs to Mo.  They've practically freaking DIAGRAMMED it that way for the post-season.  Why wouldn't you stick to the plan?  Like I said, I just don't get it.  It makes no sense.

It's now a 2 game series.  Yanks gotta take one...hopefully game 6.  Because you NEVER want to play game 7, were anything wacky can happen. 

Someone needs to smack Girardi upside the head and threaten his job security or something. He can't be allowed to keep that shit up. If he does that against the Phils it will be us that die fast and quiet.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #922 on: October 24, 2009, 07:45:52 PM »

Yankees game postponed till tomorrow night ... opposite the Giants game.  Undecided

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #923 on: October 25, 2009, 10:41:13 AM »

the postponed game 6 helps the phillies a little, maybe alot. Burnett will definitely pitch before pettitte in the WS. that may have been the plan anyway (i'd be curious to hear what the yankees fans in here think), but now it's not even an option. personally, i would much rather face burnett than pettitte, particularly in light of our lefty-heavy lineup.

IF this thing goes 7, now the yankees wouldn't have CC (or pettitte) available in either games 1 or 2. that would be a huge. although i don't think the angels have a prayer in toinght's game.

as much as i would like to see this thing go 7, i really don't want to see the angels in a position to steal this thing. that would be a huge let-down.       

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #924 on: October 25, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »

the postponed game 6 helps the phillies a little, maybe alot. Burnett will definitely pitch before pettitte in the WS. that may have been the plan anyway (i'd be curious to hear what the yankees fans in here think), but now it's not even an option. personally, i would much rather face burnett than pettitte, particularly in light of our lefty-heavy lineup.

IF this thing goes 7, now the yankees wouldn't have CC (or pettitte) available in either games 1 or 2. that would be a huge. although i don't think the angels have a prayer in toinght's game.

as much as i would like to see this thing go 7, i really don't want to see the angels in a position to steal this thing. that would be a huge let-down.       

Pettite (which doesn't bode well for tonight, but we'll see) has had MUCH better numbers on the road than he had at home.  For Yanks fans, you want him pitching game 3, not 1 or 2.   HOWEVER, if we lose tonight, you'll face AJ and Pettite (assuming we win game 7) in games 1 and 2, and then face CC in game 3.  Pettite, pitching on Sunday, SHOULD be available Thursday, though I suppose they could throw Chad G out there game 2 to get Andy more rest.

Our best case scenario is to win tonight.  Then our rotation is lned up perfectly going into the WS.  If not...it's dicey.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #925 on: October 25, 2009, 05:37:13 PM »

I don't know if such a long rest is good for the Phillies.  Rust sets in fast, why don'tcha know?  The Yankees will stay red hot while the Phils just might cool off.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #926 on: October 25, 2009, 06:00:05 PM »

Yankees should have this game tonight...should be another memorable one though...series has been awesome

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
sandman
Legend

« Reply #927 on: October 25, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »

I don't know if such a long rest is good for the Phillies.  Rust sets in fast, why don'tcha know?  The Yankees will stay red hot while the Phils just might cool off.

you may be right. i think it's possible that rust can be a factor. but the phillies had the exact same amount of days off (6) last year. it sure as hell didn't slow them down then.

the teams in recent years where rust MAY have come into play were the rockies and the tigers. but both lost to teams that i believe were clearly better (red sox and cards, respectively).

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #928 on: October 25, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »

I don't look for rust to be a factor at all for the Phils, they've been there before and know exactly how to handle the lay off.

As for tonight, I look for the Yankees to come out early get a lead - hopefully stepping on the pesky Angels throats and putting them away for good..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #929 on: October 25, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »

Yeah, but they had the Rays last year...

The Rays.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #930 on: October 25, 2009, 08:33:30 PM »

HUGE news coming out of St Louis tonight:

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/commishs-hot-stove/commishs-hot-stove/cardinal-beat-updates/2009/10/tlr-back-mcrae-out-big-mac-appears-in/

TLR Back, McRae Out, Big Mac Appears In
By Joe Strauss
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The Cardinals will announce at a Monday morning press conference Tony La Russa?s decision to return for a 15th season as manager. Today?s run-up, however, features mounting evidence that La Russa?s return after a 2-week deliberation will be dwarfed by former Redbirds first baseman Mark McGwire?s return from a self-imposed 8-year exile to become the team?s hitting coach.

The club on Friday notified hitting coach Hal McRae it would not renew his contract, the Post-Dispatch has learned.

Multiple sources, including McRae?s son Brian, have confirmed McRae?s ouster following a five-year term as hitting coach.

A club source confirmed a plan to bring back McGwire but cautioned that a formal announcement could wait until after Monday?s press conference. McGwire is believed to still be negotiating a deal that would put him back in uniform for the first time since he abruptly retired after the 2001 season due to chronic injuries.

Club sources indicated Saturday that La Russa?s return was all but certain; however, La Russa deferred, saying he still had loose ends to tie before confirming he would be back.

General manager John Mozeliak offered no comment Sunday. La Russa, who arrived in St. Louis to attend a Sunday night Bruce Springsteen concert, did not return phone messages.

As recently as the day after the Cardinals were eliminated from the Division Series by the Los Angeles Dodgers La Russa insisted he did not foresee changes to his coaching staff should he return. Growing speculation arose during the season?s final weeks that the club was considering replacement McRae, whose contract expires Oct. 31. McRae becomes the fifth hitting coach dismissed during La Russa?s term in St. Louis. His 5-year term is the longest of any.

The club remains extremely sensitive to reaction about McGwire?s return. After setting the single-season home run record by hitting 70 in 1998, McGwire became the face of an ongoing controversy surrounding the prevalance of performance-enhancing drugs in the game. The club offered him a spot as a guest hitting instructor during 2007 spring training, an invite McGwire briefly entertained before rejecting due to a family issue.

McGwire has operated a de facto off-season hitting camp in Orange County for a number of major-league hitters in recent years. Current Cardinal outfielders Skip Schumaker and Matt Holliday along with recently-traded outfielder Chris Duncan are among the campers. Daric Barton, Bobby Crosby and Garrett Atkins also have attended.

McGwire has eased a bit from his seclusion from media in recent months, serving as a panelist on a Sporting News opinion board. He also spoke to the Post-Dispatch shortly before the 10th anniversary of his breaking Roger Maris? single-season home run mark. However, he has yet to address the smear to his reputation that followed him from Congressional hearings on steroid abuse on March 17, 2005. McGwire famously insisted he did not attend to ?talk about the past.?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #931 on: October 25, 2009, 08:48:16 PM »

Where have you been all day?  hihi
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #932 on: October 25, 2009, 08:57:53 PM »

Where have you been all day?  hihi

Had been hearing rumors but thought it was just that.

Still not confirmed but looking highly likely.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #933 on: October 25, 2009, 11:29:38 PM »

Anyone else having a heart attack with me?  hihi
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #934 on: October 26, 2009, 12:22:04 AM »

It's cool they gave CC the MVP.  ok

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #935 on: October 26, 2009, 12:34:40 AM »

Yeah i still think A-Rod should've gotten it but both were well deserving. Speaking of A-Rod, D, oh where art though?  hihi
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #936 on: October 26, 2009, 12:50:12 AM »

Yeah i still think A-Rod should've gotten it but both were well deserving.

I think Alex would even agree that he's got something else to prove before he should get it.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #937 on: October 26, 2009, 12:55:40 AM »

Yeah i still think A-Rod should've gotten it but both were well deserving.

I think Alex would even agree that he's got something else to prove before he should get it.

He proved plenty to get it for this series, remember CC didn't have a good postseason past either.
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #938 on: October 26, 2009, 01:07:31 AM »

He proved plenty to get it for this series, remember CC didn't have a good postseason past either.
IMO, they're apples and oranges.  A-Rod needs to prove to himself and the baseball world that he can come through and win the big one.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #939 on: October 26, 2009, 01:10:57 AM »

IMO, they're apples and oranges.  A-Rod needs to prove to himself and the baseball world that he can come through and win the big one.

And you can still say the same about CC. He's won nothing yet either. Both are proving so far they can come through, now we get to see if they can win the big one. Its gonna be an exciting series. I hope my heart can last it.  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: