Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:19:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 292866 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #640 on: September 16, 2009, 09:35:52 AM »

Manny's return to Boston will hopefully inspire the most booing of any ballplayer ever to enter the Fens - Bucky Fucking Dent included.

As much I loath everything Red Sawk these days, he quit on both his team and the fans and cheated while doing it.  An absolute disgrace.

Who knows about his future in LA next year - still very puzzled how/why a storied franchise
like the Dodgers would embrace and promote (Mannywood?? Are you kidding me??) such a posterboy for everything wrong in baseball.

I'm sure Manny would get booed quite heavily, but I don't think he deserves it.  Like I said before, he earned every penny of that ridiculous contract he signed up until the last month plus when he ultimately quit on the team.  So yes, he screwed the team in the end, but for 7 years prior to that he performed at a high level on the field and was a key component of 2 World Series championships.  As for the steroid thing, this has been covered before.  So many players were on the juice back then.  If he was the only one I'd agree with you, but he certainly wasn't alone.  Do A-Rod, Pettitte, etc. get booed because they cheated?

I think Manny would've gotten booed with or without the steroid scandal, of course that just adds to it.  Now it's a no brainer.  Still, I don't agree with it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #641 on: September 16, 2009, 09:48:16 AM »

In a different note, I think a hefty suspension is in line for Jorge stemming from last night. You could tell he wanted a piece of Carlson as soon as he threw the pitch behind him. Lets play a guessing game -- how long is Jorge's suspension?

5 days?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #642 on: September 16, 2009, 10:02:47 AM »

As a fan of baseball in general the steroid issue with Manny is secondary for me.  

His quitting on his team, a loyal fanbase and a city is unforgiveable no matter what he contributed (while cheating) along the way.

As for booing ARod and Pettitte (and others who have been busted) it's case by case for me personally based on how they handle it and their general standing within the game.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #643 on: September 16, 2009, 10:03:51 AM »

In a different note, I think a hefty suspension is in line for Jorge stemming from last night. You could tell he wanted a piece of Carlson as soon as he threw the pitch behind him. Lets play a guessing game -- how long is Jorge's suspension?

5 days?
I didn't see the whole thing, just the fracas itself.  Wasn't aware Jorge had incentive, with a pitch thrown behind him.  That would make sense for it to be retaliation.  5 games is usually the norm for position players.  Good thing they're not in a race and can afford to sit him down.  I'd make sure Burnett pitches twice during that stretch.  Bring him back on 3 days rest so he doesn't have to deal with Jorge.  I'm kidding of course.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #644 on: September 16, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »

As a fan of baseball in general the steroid issue with Manny is secondary for me.  

His quitting on his team, a loyal fanbase and a city is unforgiveable no matter what he contributed (while cheating) along the way.

As for booing ARod and Pettitte (and others who have been busted) it's case by case for me personally based on how they handle it and their general standing within the game.

I agree, his quitting on the team was shameful.  And who knows, if he sucked it up and played out his contract without all the drama the Sox could've possibly won another World Series.  For that reason, he probably would get booed.  But the steroid issue doesn't help his case.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #645 on: September 16, 2009, 10:27:48 AM »

The steroid issue is just icing on the proverbial booing cake for Manny, here's to Boston fan going Frisco fan - let the batteries fly..(kidding of course..)

Posada?

With it having no bearing on the pennant race, it's (for the most part) a non story..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #646 on: September 16, 2009, 10:45:36 AM »

The steroid issue is just icing on the proverbial booing cake for Manny, here's to Boston fan going Frisco fan - let the batteries fly..(kidding of course..)

Posada?

With it having no bearing on the pennant race, it's (for the most part) a non story..

Oh no denying that since it will barely have any effect on the race. It's just interesting to see what he gets.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #647 on: September 16, 2009, 11:39:18 AM »

Posada?

Oh no denying that since it will barely have any effect on the race. It's just interesting to see what he gets.

Yep, agreed.

Probably 5, reduced to 3 upon appeal.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #648 on: September 16, 2009, 01:09:41 PM »

The Hispanic fans absolutely love him, and the Dodgers, well, ummmm, are taking advantage of that!

I hate Manny and the Dodgers dumb marketing tactics, but they're putting butts in the seats.  They hiked up those field box seats from $25 to $100.  And when they were $25, they were empty most of the time.

But now Mannywood is filled to capacity.

Point taken..

But..

They're the freakin' Dodgers for cryin' out loud!

They're going to draw 3 million plus Manny or not - they sure as hell don't need the
(little) additional revenue that his presence may generate.

Andre Ethier is a budding superstar, something to build a franchise (and a marketing plan) on.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #649 on: September 16, 2009, 04:19:42 PM »

Andre Ethier has come into his own with Manny hitting behind him, while David Ortiz's numbers have dropped off since Manny left town.  I don't think either of those things are complete coincidences.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #650 on: September 16, 2009, 06:25:14 PM »

The Hispanic fans absolutely love him, and the Dodgers, well, ummmm, are taking advantage of that!

I hate Manny and the Dodgers dumb marketing tactics, but they're putting butts in the seats.  They hiked up those field box seats from $25 to $100.  And when they were $25, they were empty most of the time.

But now Mannywood is filled to capacity.

Point taken..

But..

They're the freakin' Dodgers for cryin' out loud!

They're going to draw 3 million plus Manny or not - they sure as hell don't need the
(little) additional revenue that his presence may generate.

Andre Ethier is a budding superstar, something to build a franchise (and a marketing plan) on.

McCourt has to somehow pay for his $50,000,000 investment in Malibu beachfront property...

Fucking parking lot attendant...

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #651 on: September 16, 2009, 06:57:04 PM »

Well both Posada and Carlson got 3 each and neither is gonna appeal so suspensions start tonight.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #652 on: September 16, 2009, 07:16:31 PM »

Andre Ethier has come into his own with Manny hitting behind him, while David Ortiz's numbers have dropped off since Manny left town.  I don't think either of those things are complete coincidences.

His presence in a lineup and effect on those hitting around him are without question, dude can flat out rake.

Now, in my best Peter Gammons voice:

"But..."(long pause generating interest in the following observation)

Dude's a convicted baseball felon and worst of all  - a quitter.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #653 on: September 16, 2009, 07:21:11 PM »

Faldor can't talk shit about Manny.

The whole entire BoSox team was on the juice in 2004.  Where are all those players now?

Yeah, they collapsed just like the statue in the anti-steroid PSA's we see during ballgames on TV.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #654 on: September 16, 2009, 07:23:51 PM »

The whole entire BoSox team was on the juice in 2004.  Where are all those players now?

Yeah, they collapsed just like the statue in the anti-steroid PSA's we see during ballgames on TV.
Sox had the best cheaters those 2 seasons.  Simple as that.

I hated the baggage that Manny brought with him, but I couldn't argue with his production.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #655 on: September 16, 2009, 07:32:35 PM »

I hated the baggage that Manny brought with him, but I couldn't argue with his production.

Break the curse with a clean team, then we'll talk business.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #656 on: September 16, 2009, 07:45:49 PM »

Damn faldor, call 'em like ya see 'em without Red Sawk blinders on - well done  ok.

The whole "Cowboy Up" horseshit was bad enough, so fucking not cool.  The 'roid revelations
are the taint that stirs the drink...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 07:48:36 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #657 on: September 16, 2009, 08:05:38 PM »

Damn faldor, call 'em like ya see 'em without Red Sawk blinders on - well done  ok.

The whole "Cowboy Up" horseshit was bad enough, so fucking not cool.  The 'roid revelations

Well I don't have much of a choice.  Manny was a full blown cheater and Ortiz is certainly in question, though he's maintained his innocence.  It's quite possible there were others too.  They can't take away those 2 championships though, so it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  This isn't college basketball where they take away wins if you break a rule somewhere along the way.  I'm looking at you John Calipari.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #658 on: September 16, 2009, 08:58:51 PM »

Painting your sock with your kids' watercolors...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #659 on: September 17, 2009, 11:50:29 AM »

Well I don't have much of a choice.  Manny was a full blown cheater and Ortiz is certainly in question, though he's maintained his innocence.  It's quite possible there were others too.  They can't take away those 2 championships though, so it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  This isn't college basketball where they take away wins if you break a rule somewhere along the way.  I'm looking at you John Calipari.

Very cut and dried with Manny for sure, Ortiz was more of a disappointment than a surprise for me.

Though the roid taint does take a bit of the 04 sting from their victory over the Redbirds, as you said - those 2 championships aren't going anywhere.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: