Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 03:18:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Friends (non-GNR fans) reviews of CD
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Friends (non-GNR fans) reviews of CD  (Read 4726 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« on: January 02, 2009, 05:36:28 PM »

I couldn't find a thread for this, so if one exists feel free to fuse together.  Just wondering if any of your friends, family members, acquaintances have heard any of the new songs and what their take has been.  I purchased the CD for a friend of mine whose birthday just happened to fall on the release date (Nov. 23).  She is not a fan of GNR per se.  She enjoys the radio hits but wouldn't know any of the obscure songs.  She knows of Axl and Slash, but that's about it.  Other than what I've told her over the years, but I didn't beat her over the head with information (until recently).  Anyway, she's promised a full review, although she's releasing it in pieces.  She told me she liked about half the album, could do without half, and HATED one song and could do without ever hearing it again.  BUT, so far I've gotten reviews to the first 4 songs and they've all been glowing.  Still waiting for the negative reviews to kick in.

1.  Chinese Democracy

I have to say that the beginning of the song scared me a little bit.  After 1:30 of what sounds like aliens trying to reach their homeland I was excited to finally hear music.  After centuries of not recording an album they sure did want you to wait a little longer to hear what they came up with.  When the actual words came though I immediately began rocking my head as if I were standing in the audience with the boys themselves.  It got me moving and to this day still find it a good song to walk on the treadmill listening too.  It brings back such great memories of Paradise City.  I had almost forgotten what they had sounded like when they sang.

Some of the words in the beginning of the song I did not understand.  I felt a little retarded but then went online to see the lyrics and realized that these words would make sense to no one.  Yes, I did research.

The chorus is AWESOME.  Why they needed to ruin the song talking about masturbation is beyond me however I do enjoy singing that part and even if that is really NOT what they are saying I make sure I sing it loud and proud.  Any excusable chance to use the word masturbation is a good day for me.

The ending was wonderful.  It was wrapped up nicely with the guitar solo and calmed the nerves for what was about to be an off the chain beginning to song two!  I'd give the song 4.5 out of 5 stars

2. Schakler's Revenge

First I would like to say how much happier I was that this song started promptly after the intro.  I am not really into the long lead ins.  They tend to kill or make a song and most of the time it kills it.  For me anyway long intros suck!

Overall I was pleased with the song.  It seemed short for the band but I think it was a nice choice after Chinese Democracy.  I don't necessarily love the lyrics though.  Someone seems very bitter.  Since I am not a HUGE Guns N' Roses fan I am sure there is a story behind it but I might be missing a key point. 

Out of 5 stars I give this one a 4.  It's catchy, it's short, and I have no problem blasting it and singing in my car.

The boys are 2 for 2 so far in my book.   Stay tuned!

3. Better

I have to say I LOVED this song.  Just when I thought I couldn't love a song more than #5 (If The World) this song came along and brightened my world.  I love the lyrics (especially the rhyming of them), I love the pace the song progressed, and I loved that is wasn't hardcore like the first two.  It amazed me in ways I was not expecting.  It's like opening a gift and being sure you weren't going to like it once it came out of the box, only to tag it as one of your favorite overall gifts.  Amazing.

The only complaint I have with this song is the two guitar solos.  The first one was well timed and broke the song up nicely.  The second one pissed me off and still does.  I am ready to move on with the singing and here I have to wait.  Not only do I have to wait though but there are like 16 na na na's after the solo which drags the song on even more.  The boys overall did well and this has quickly become one of my favorite songs.

Out of 5 stars I give it 4 1/2.  If it wasn't for the second guitar solo I would definitely given it a 5.

4.  Street of Dreams

This song reminded me of November Rain in so many ways.  The slowness of it all excited me in the beginning.  I knew a slow ballad would be on the CD and was waiting for it.  I thought the lyrics were great too and overall liked the song.  I am not sure I liked the way the words were pieced together though.  It almost seemed like some of the lyrics stretched on too long and could have been fit in someplace else.  It is not a major complaint though.  More of a suggestion.

It's heartbreaking and I feel bad for Axl, I really do, but I think he did a great job of letting us feel the pain that he was in and positively expressed that without being a dick.

Love the song.  Out of 5 starts I give it 4 3/4.

So far I am so pleased with the CD! 

That's all the reviews for now but I promise more will come soon!

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:56:52 AM »

I have a friend that I would call a semi-fan, as he's not really updated on the new band but liked the hits back in the day.

As he heard the record, the first thing he commented on was the overall production of the album, how exceptionally great it was. He was really pleased about all the details you can hear in the songs.

Also, there were not a single song he didn't like (to my experience that's really unusual coming from him). He told me that his absolute favourite song was "Riad N' The Bedouins".

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:03:21 PM »

I had a listening party with some friends the Friday prior to the release and they seemed to enjoy the album.  We were rocking out by the end of the night.  And since then I've played  it for friends and have gotten positive comments, no negative.  Don't know how much of that is them just being nice, but I've heard compliments on "Better", "Street of Dreams", "If The World", and "I.R.S." in particular.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 03:03:12 AM »

My 4 year old son.  He had herd some other GnR songs (stuff without swearing) and he didn't really like it.  But this new album every time we get in the car he is telling me to turn it up. 
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 07:23:40 AM »

One friend said he heard the album and thought there were four really great tracks the rest were ok. Not sure how much he has heard it, but just the fact there were four really great tracks is very positive

Two of my cousins, old gnr fans, who haven't followed the progress of the new band, picked up the album and loved it. One of them played it in his car as he was giving me a lift back home on boxing day.

The way I see it, there are lots of people out there who just need a little more reminding and pushing.

Here today...ready to rock
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 08:20:52 AM »

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the album and I listen to it every single day...BUT...when I've tried to recomend it to my friends who are well known about the old line up etc but they are not die hard GN'R fans, the reactions were like: "Is this GN'R? Where is the rage? Where is the atmosphere? What the fuck?"

I'm trying to explain that they just have to realize that we are living in 2008 (2009 already Tongue) and that THIS is the world according to Axl and the band but I have a responce for example like: "There was something that touches me in the heart when I listen to songs like Estranged, Jungle, Paradise etc. CD is a good album but it doesn't touches me anywhere..."

The songs that are most likeable are Madagascar and Better. Anyway, the album is great in my opinion. They just don't understand it. Maybe they need time. 

"...It don't really matter..."
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 08:38:07 AM »

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the album and I listen to it every single day...BUT...when I've tried to recomend it to my friends who are well known about the old line up etc but they are not die hard GN'R fans, the reactions were like: "Is this GN'R? Where is the rage? Where is the atmosphere? What the fuck?"

I'm trying to explain that they just have to realize that we are living in 2008 (2009 already Tongue) and that THIS is the world according to Axl and the band but I have a responce for example like: "There was something that touches me in the heart when I listen to songs like Estranged, Jungle, Paradise etc. CD is a good album but it doesn't touches me anywhere..."

The songs that are most likeable are Madagascar and Better. Anyway, the album is great in my opinion. They just don't understand it. Maybe they need time. 

Hopefully we will see some more hard rockers as time goes on...I think Axl's 'rage' is what a lot of younger fans used to associate with him, maybe as you've said he's moved on.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 08:46:13 AM »

I tried to get ross and phoebe to listen to it 'cause we all know they are pretty openminded when it comes to music and they liked it, monica liked the clean and perfect production, we all know she's the perfectionist of the gang,, rachel mostly listen to john mayer and britneys new album, while chandler mainly made jokes about axl and joey only cares for the females

ok
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 09:36:28 AM »

what about the monkey?

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »

None of my friends, family or co-workers think much of it.  I do think CD takes a few listens to "get" and for people not familiar with the last 15 years to reset their expectations.  But still, after one listen, nobody was really impressed.  A few old school fans REALLY disliked it. 

my gf liked Better a little bit and This I love, but not to the point where she was wow'ed or has asked me to play them again.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 01:25:37 PM »

None of my friends, family or co-workers think much of it.  I do think CD takes a few listens to "get" and for people not familiar with the last 15 years to reset their expectations.  But still, after one listen, nobody was really impressed.  A few old school fans REALLY disliked it. 

my gf liked Better a little bit and This I love, but not to the point where she was wow'ed or has asked me to play them again.

same here. some friends think it's ok; some don't like it. most just don't care. still: a song almost everybody digs is "better".

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
western_chaos
Rocker

The Adrenaline Runs Through My Veins.

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 01:38:38 PM »

To me, it depends on their overall music tastes are how willing they are to really just listen to the cd, not listen to a song for 30 seconds, like some people I know.

Cause I know my dad doesn't like it, but my mom who's very open she does enjoy it.

My New Social Network Is Here:

http://writersparadise.ning.com/
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 05:00:27 PM »

My nephews likes to sing and dance to some songs Grin

I doooooooon't belive it cute Tongue

2. Schakler's Revenge

hihi

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 06:04:27 PM »

My mate does not mind the album (disappointing for me), but his huge gripe is with the drums. Way too simple, no solos and overall, just not as technical as it could be. He thik s too much time was spent on the guitars and the drums were neglected.

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
western_chaos
Rocker

The Adrenaline Runs Through My Veins.

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 06:26:47 PM »

I don't really agree, I think the drums are great.

The drums are what makes the album for me.

My New Social Network Is Here:

http://writersparadise.ning.com/
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 09:44:05 PM »

I played Scraped for my hip-hop loving friend, and all he said was, "WOW!"

Like Axl said way back in the day, there is something for everyone on Chinese Democracy.

Let us rejoice.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 10:11:16 PM »

I can't really speak for other people's opinions as far as the ENTIRE album goes, but 'Better' is definitely the song that my friends like more than any other. They fucking love it. I know a couple people that can't stand Axl and won't give GN'R a chance solely based on that... and those two people think 'Better' is amazing.

So, most of my friends like what they have heard so far and only a couple have actually gone out and bought the album. Nick (not even a casual GN'R fan), a good buddy of mine, went out and bought CD. I couldn't fucking believe it when he told me that. But he said he only listens to tracks 1,2 and 3 and won't go past those. He said the rest of the songs on the album are "A bunch of November Rain wannabe songs." So he obviously hasn't listened to them at all and I stopped listening to him after he said that.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 07:40:36 AM »

my two former best friends HATED chinese democracy.  i was so excited to play it for the, because i thought that they would eat there words after trashing axl for 15 years.  but they are stubborn people who refuse to even consider liking new music.  anyways....

they laughed when the riff for chinese democracy came on and started singing 'rock you like a hurricane' to the song instead of the real lyrics.  it didn't even matter to them when i explained what the falun gong was and how meaningful those lyrics could be.  they made fun of all the ballads, espeicially the blues and this i love, which they used derogatory words for homosexual to describe.  riad got a little bit of headbanging, but they are old school rock fans and wouldn't let themselves enjoy the shredding by bucket and bumble.  they said it sounded like computer game sound effects, which it does but that's okay because it's so amazingly difficult to play. i tried to explain it to them, but they still didn't care. 

when prostitute was almost over, my one friend let out this long, sloppy fart sound.  but the outro lasts like a minute, so they just kept making more and more fart sounds the whole time.  it was really insulting and degrading.  it's like they wouldn't even give the music a chance at all.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 10:50:03 AM »

but 'Better' is definitely the song that my friends like more than any other. They fucking love it. I know a couple people that can't stand Axl and won't give GN'R a chance solely based on that... and those two people think 'Better' is amazing.

irresistable force of the music. That's how a real great tune works.  Cheesy
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 12:38:44 AM »

My 9 yr old daughter has heard some of the songs, and has 4 favorites.  Her favs have changed with listening to them.  First she heard a *ahem* version.... of Better that she said was her favorite.  The first time I saw her after listening to the album, I slapped the headphones on her and made her listen to This I Love hihi

Anyway, here are her favorites in approx order, most liked first

Scraped
She LOVES this song.  She says that she could listen to this song over and over again, and insists that I play it at least twice everytime she hears it.  She likes the 2 different voice styles and the message that your worth more then they tell you.  I made her listen to this one by accident, while trying to find another song.  She doesn't want to listen to the whole album, but I'm working on her!

Sorry
Oddly enough, the "I don't want to do it" is her favorite line hihi  I love it myself Grin  She knows all of the words by heart, just skipping over the words that she won't allow herself to say, like hell.  That's not my rule, btw, she's made this rule up for herself *shrug*

Better
She's loved this one from the first listen.  Just likes the tune I guess.  And probably likes watching me chair dance and headbang hihi

This I Love
Makes her want to cry every time hihi She loves the emotion in this one and just wants to give Axl a big hug after listening to it lol

She also said something that completely surprised me tonight.  In other threads, I have expressed my doubt that every song is about either Stephanie Seymour or the old band. I've never actually discussed this outside of this forum, there's no one for me to discuss it with in real life lol.

Tonight, my daughter said "All of these song seem like they are about either ex girlfriends or old band members".  I was driving at the time, and almost missed a stop sign in my astonishment! hihi  I almost asked her what her screen name on HTGTH is lmao.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:42:31 AM by LittleFly » Logged

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: