Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 08:45:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why don't they play new GN'R on the radio?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why don't they play new GN'R on the radio?  (Read 11475 times)
dk
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 02:53:04 PM »

I live in LA and I've stopped listening to stations like KROQ, KLOS and 98.7 during my morning/afternoon drives because they don't ever play new GNR.

The only mentions I've heard is from KROQs Kevin and Bean show.  And all they ever do is make fun of Axl.

I really don't understand why KROQ rarely plays GNR and seems to want no part of mentioning/playing them.  I guess replaying Cold Play, Foo Fighters and Nirvana ad nauseum is their agenda.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:38:36 PM by dk » Logged
neon2002
Rocker

What the hell is a hab?

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 03:40:18 PM »

I don't get the impression that "Better" has been officially released to rock radio stations as a single yet.
Better gets a ton of airplay here in Ontario,Canada on 97.7 hitz fm...and they play it and CD on 102.1 TheEdge frequently as well...

I've yet to hear "Better" on the radio in Toronto. When do they play it? 3AM?

I've heard "Chinese Democracy" a few times, but not lately.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:43:28 PM by neon2002 » Logged

"This Melody Inside Of Me Still Searches For Solution"
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 10:11:41 PM »

I really don't understand why KROQ rarely plays GNR and seems to want no part of mentioning/playing them.  I guess replaying Cold Play, Foo Fighters and Nirvana ad nauseum is their agenda.

KROQ is an alternative rock station. They do have GNR on their playlist since Inland Invasion, and Ive heard SCOM a couple of times. But you shouldnt expect them to play GNR.  KROQ Djs used to laugh at people who requested Metallica also. But now they are in the rotation.
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2009, 02:16:37 AM »

E-mail your radio stations and ask!

/jarmo

Why? It's a bit strange we should ask these kind of things to our radio stations. One should expect that a new single is announced, it is played on a 'normal' rock station.

Why?

You expect us to know why your radio station doesn't play GN'R?

You think there's an universal answer to that question?

Radio stations play what they think will get listeners so they can sell ads.

/jarmo

That's bull.
My radio stations play GN'R, they just don't play 'Better' and even 'Chinese Democracy' isn't played much. I do not have to ask them why. There is no sort of 'conspiracy' against (new) GN'R....
There is just a lack of promo for the new material or a lack in officially announcing and releasing new singles. According to me, the radio stations don't play it because they do not even know 'Better' is a single in the first place (ok: this is maybe something I can ask, but fuck that, i know they will play it when they have it). Heck, are we (GN'R fans) even sure it is released a single (officially)? It is not because some radio stations elsewhere in the world play it, that it is a single as some also play other new GN'R stuff and even played new stuff before the release of CD...

And some extra info: my radio station doesn't need ads, it's a public station. GN'R is rather popular band for its listeners... (CD was voted nr. 6 in an 'important' rock chart without real promo).

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2009, 07:16:39 AM »

That's bull.

Is it?

You just proved the point. It's hard for us to guess why your station doesn't play the new tracks or GN'R at all.

According to me, the radio stations don't play it because they do not even know 'Better' is a single in the first place (ok: this is maybe something I can ask, but fuck that, i know they will play it when they have it).

Yeah, and the track has charted on US radio station charts.

So according to you stations that don't know the song exists are playing it?  Tongue

And some extra info: my radio station doesn't need ads, it's a public station. GN'R is rather popular band for its listeners... (CD was voted nr. 6 in an 'important' rock chart without real promo).

As I said, there's no universal answer.

Many radio stations do rely on revenue from ads.

And I still don't know why it's weird for fans to request songs or ask why their favorite band isn't played on their radio station that they listen to. Unless they listen a country station....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2009, 07:59:13 AM »

I wouldn't be making fun of country at the moment they are doing pretty well with the teen market.

When GNR release The Blues they will get more air play.  Stations were risking playing that song before it was released.  Change the name back and give them what they want.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 09:41:20 AM »

i emailed the dj at my classic rock station (kz106) a bunch of times like mysteron suggested.  after sending requests for a solid hour, we got into a pretty heated argument about chinese democracy.  this guy was a predictable mullet-head slash whoreshiper who said he didn't like the new music very much and that it wasn't getting a good reaction from listeners.  i pointed out how he and all the 'listeners'  probably didn't have the intelligence to appreciate music that's this complex and meaningful since he can only like a song with three chords and lyrics about cars and fucking.  after a while, he stopped answering my emails/requests but i kept sending them.  still no plays of better that i've heard.  but i honestly don't know how much harder i can request it.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2009, 09:59:22 AM »

There's really no need to be an obnoxious jerk....

It's not increasing your chances of hearing the song on the station.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2009, 10:02:29 AM »

/jarmo

i know, man.  i really do.  but i didn't start it.  i was being positive, but then he started hating.  what's a guy to do?  my days of sitting back and passively taking abuse are over. 

some people flat-out refuse to even consider liking the new album because they can't get over the past.  what are you supposed to do then?  if you just ignore it, then chinese democracy doesn't have a chance. 
maria
Opening Act

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2009, 10:09:54 AM »

Hi at all gunners!!! Smiley If there are italian fans, I have a little list of radio e-mail and cell.number :

radio 101 : 347.80.90.101 - infor101@r101.it
radio deejay: diretta@deejay.it
radio 105: diretta@105.net
rtl 102.5 : 349.34.91.025
radio rai2 : radio2@rai.it
radio kiss kiss: info@kisskissnetwork.it
radionorba: 333.64.44.410
radio manbassa: 333.43.43.378 - diretta@manbassa.it

who wants sends e-mail can write in italian:
Ciao! Sono (your name) e vorrei richiedere il nuovo singolo Better del nuovo bellissimo album Chinese Democracy dei Guns n'Roses. Grazie!!
Soul Monster
Headliner

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »

i know, man.  i really do.  but i didn't start it.  i was being positive, but then he started hating.  what's a guy to do?  my days of sitting back and passively taking abuse are over. 

Did he abuse you? How did he do that? Telling you that he doesn't like GNR and neither does his listeners, is hardly abusing you, neither is it abusing GNR.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2009, 10:18:23 AM »

try country stations  Tongue  modern/alternative rock ones there shouldn't be a slash worshipper incognito.

Sandrine
Headliner

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »

/jarmo

some people flat-out refuse to even consider liking the new album because they can't get over the past.  what are you supposed to do then?  if you just ignore it, then chinese democracy doesn't have a chance. 
you don't help GN'R acting like that  Wink. Be cool, if they don't want to play GN'R , well Fine... try an another radio
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »

look, i know that.  it's just that this particular situation was different.  i did exactly what mysteron wanted and emailed requests from several different email addresses.  the smart assed dj said he could tell they were coming from the same person, so he started making fun of me and saying that gnr sucks without slash.  we all know that's bullshit, so what are you going to do?  sit back and take it?  i tried to politely tell him he was wrong and that this music is just more challenging, but he just kept up with teh slash stuff.  so i had to put him in  his place.  any sensible loyal fan would do the same.
Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2009, 11:35:23 AM »

Saying GnR sucks without Slash isn't really bullshit, it's an opinion.  Just because people like you and me don't agree with that opinion doesn't make it any less valid (or any less widely held).

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
grabaraxl
Rocker

stick to your guns

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2009, 12:05:27 PM »

record companies act very "mafia like" nowadays, so if "your" radio station isn't playing "Better" is because there is no pressure from Universal for it to be played.
Radios aren't given albums anymore, they have promo cd singles or downloads so that they'll play that nickelback song the record company is trying to put down you throat and not the dj's favorite track of their album. Then they (record co.) can persuade every station to play whatever they want by giving away merch, travelling come dj's for a show of their fav band, promising exclusive premieres for some future releases on the label, etc...
that's one side of the story.
the other is that most playlist managers send like 30 to 40 songs to some market statistic company, where they hire a bunch of average joes to come in and listen do 30 sec clips of each song and get them to vote on the songs they knew, the one's they liked, etc... then they send the radio station a chart with the "most popular" songs and thta's what gets on the playlist. so it takes a while before a song is playing on most radios, since it will take a while for those average joes to recognise it. that's why you're still listening to the ac/dc single or coldplay's viva la vida.
damn, this post made me sad. i miss the old radio days, actually this was the reason why i quited being a radio dj 4 years ago.

The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2009, 01:57:22 PM »

Is it?

You just proved the point. It's hard for us to guess why your station doesn't play the new tracks or GN'R at all.

Correct, but I finally decided to email them, and as expected my guess was correct: they don't have the single! They don't know there is a new single out from GN'R.

Yeah, and the track has charted on US radio station charts.

So according to you stations that don't know the song exists are playing it?  Tongue

I didn't mean that. What I meant was, that there are radio stations (like the typical well known US stations) playing new GN'R stuff without having an official released single. Meaning, they can also play (or could have played in the 90's) for example 'The shotgun blues', this was also never released as a single by my knowledge.... (also not saying radio stations actually played that song)

But if you say it's charting, then 'Better' must probably be released (in the US), but over here nobody knows....

And I still don't know why it's weird for fans to request songs or ask why their favorite band isn't played on their radio station that they listen to. Unless they listen a country station....

/jarmo

As said, they do play GN'R.... it's weird because I expect them to play the new singles from popular bands (like GN'R), like they do without asking . I never see fans of other popular rockbands complaining (AC/DC; Metallica; Foo Fighters; Red Hot Chilli Peppers; whatever...) 'bout the fact radio stations do not air new stuff. (and with that I mean the released singles by those bands).
Maybe, it's just hard to be a guns fan  Undecided
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:02:40 PM by The Prez » Logged

Black Betty
Headliner

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2009, 02:00:56 PM »

Simple, Interscope isn't paying for GN'R to be played. Actually, Interscope is doing shit! Neither is Best Buy. What a campaign!!! What a crock of shit.
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2009, 02:03:20 PM »

Simple, Interscope isn't paying for GN'R to be played. Actually, Interscope is doing shit! Neither is Best Buy. What a campaign!!! What a crock of shit.
They already invested enough maybe in the making of CD?  Wink  Grin

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2009, 02:14:22 PM »

There's definitely something weird going on when you hear Street Of Dreams at Virgin Megastore but not at Best Buy....

/jarmo

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: