Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 03:14:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Matt Sorum Interview With Frazer.ca
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matt Sorum Interview With Frazer.ca  (Read 11398 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: December 19, 2008, 02:11:44 PM »

Here is some of the interview...

Matt Sorum Interview

November 26, 2008

Laurie:
So, you?re on hiatus right now, but Velvet Revolver is coming back, right?

Matt:
Yeah, well, we?re looking for our new singer, ?cuz Weiland went back to STP. But it?s pretty exciting because now we can think about where we want to go musically. The first album came out fairly aggressive and kind of punk rock. I guess there may have been elements of Guns n? Roses, but not really. But at that time we didn?t feel that we could be a retro band and get away with it, or rest on our laurels from where we?d been and come out with this riff rock, almost retro-sounding kind of stuff. With the producer that we chose and everything we did at the time, it sounded a little bit more modern than my liking. There was more compression, and we had the guy that mixed Lincoln Park, but he also did Nirvana and other big bands. But it worked, so I can?t say why that is. Then we went with Brendan O?Brien and we wanted to make that kind of a record again. But on our second outing, something happened in the mix again where we didn?t have the fire of the first album. So, I think the second record came off a little bit soft. I think there were some good songs, but with Weiland being gone now, I?m very excited about it. I don?t want to say anything bad about Scott, but I think we wrote more for Scott on the second album.

Laurie:
Now you?re going to be able to write what you want.

Matt:
Yeah, even with Guns n? Roses when we wrote the Use Your Illusion albums, Axl was never around. So, we wrote the heaviest riffs and the best stuff that we could come up with while thinking about a vocal. It was the same kind of thing in Velvet Revolver, where Weiland wasn?t always around when we were writing. But when it came to our second album, Weiland wanted to go a little bit trippier and more artsy on it, and looking back in retrospect, maybe we should have just done something similar to what we did on the first album, which was to write a bunch of shit, give it to him, and see which ones he liked. For the first one we had 50 riffs and he came in and chose 13 or 14 of them that he thought he could lend his voice to and make something cool out of them. On the second album he was around more and saying he didn?t like this or that, and I don?t think it worked as well. So, I?m real excited about our third album, because we?re going to be able to do more of what we do with me, Duff and Slash.

Laurie:
I?ve just got one more question if you?ve got time, mainly because Stevie asked me to re-direct the question to you, and it concerns the change of the face of music in the digital age. Do you see more changes coming?

Matt:
I think something is gonna pop soon, because it has to. I?m really excited about it, because I?m feeling a real rock n? roll thing coming back. In the time of a recession, which we are in, rock n? roll rides it out. If you look at AC/DC, they?re selling out in four minutes. Then there?s Metallica, even the Chinese Democracy album finally coming out ? it?s interesting about the timing. And I see one good thing happening and I think it relates to a game called Guitar Hero. I think that maybe in the next five or six years, you?re going to see a generation of young guitar players that are coming from a game that has nothing to do with a guitar (it?s not about strings, it?s about buttons), but what?s happening is that these kids playing Guitar Hero are now coming up listening to the bands that we grew up listening to, like Aerosmith and Gun n? Roses and AC/DC. These kids are just getting hip to it now, but through a game. So, it?s gonna inspire them to play guitar hopefully and create a next generation of real musicians. ?Cuz I think a lot of musicians get lazy with things like ProTools and cutting drum tracks together with this thing called Doctor Beat. But where we come from you had to be good to go out and play, you had to look good and you had to have it all together. You had to be a pretty serious musician to get the gig, and fairly flamboyant and present, and now kids have lost that a lot. But now, these kids playing these music video games, in a few years will be inspired to put their little band together and imitate these bands like AC/DC, and Guns, and even Led Zeppelin??cuz if it goes a little further back like that, that would be even better.

http://www.fazer.ca/2008/12/02/stevie-salas-matt-sorum-interview-november-26th-2008/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 05:58:22 PM »

I wish Matt Scrotum would stop acting like he had some huge involvement in the UYI albums.   Most of the material was already written so he's talking out his ass.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 06:03:19 PM »

Matt:
Yeah, well, we?re looking for our new singer, ?cuz Weiland went back to STP.

I thought he was fired.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 06:45:05 PM »

Matt:

/jarmo

Did Weiland not go back to STP?  Was it not announced before he was "fired"...
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 07:36:05 PM »

Did Matt even write anything on UYI?

i am looking forward to VR's New Record, i've grown quite found of them, specially with the new guns record out. Both Bands sound very different and they offer different takes on Rn'R, so it's all good.

I used to think that you'd either be a VR fan or a Gn'r Fan, but that doesn't really make any sense.

Chinese Democracy!
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 09:28:46 PM »

i am looking forward to VR's New Record, i've grown quite found of them, specially with the new guns record out. Both Bands sound very different and they offer different takes on Rn'R, so it's all good.

I used to think that you'd either be a VR fan or a Gn'r Fan, but that doesn't really make any sense.

I think Robin on Chinese Democracy only has one songwriting credit, but that does not mean he didn't have any musical input on the rest of the songs? Sae with Dizzy, Tommy-I'm sure Matt had some infuence on UYI musically
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 09:30:38 PM by Eric Draven » Logged

libertad
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 10:04:39 PM »

I think Robin on Chinese Democracy only has one songwriting credit, but that does not mean he didn't have any musical input on the rest of the songs? Sae with Dizzy, Tommy-I'm sure Matt had some infuence on UYI musically

Matt had no input at all. He was told what to play and how to play it. He even said that during Makin' Fuckin' Videos Part II: November Rain.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 10:12:30 PM »

Matt had no input at all. He was told what to play and how to play it. He even said that during Makin' Fuckin' Videos Part II: November Rain.

Axl told Matt he wanted it to sound like Elton John's drumer-to say he had no input on the druming of 2 albums is silly

libertad
Pine Barrens
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 11:43:24 PM »

Matt:

/jarmo

That is what I thought, too. I read an interview with either Slash or Duff, can't remember which, where they said they'd known for a long time that they were gonna get rid of Weiland, they just had to complete the tour dates which they were obligated to do. Never been a big fan of Matt and his revisionist ways.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 02:50:46 AM »

Yeah and Robin was there from the start of new guns, little diffrent than the way Matt was in the band.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
user FKA webmoster
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 04:08:23 AM »

Matt:

/jarmo

I think it was very mature of Matt to put it that way. It's a lot easier to simply say "He went back to STP", and avoid possibly talking shit than to say "After we fired him", which could come off as having a negative connotation
jeffaz02t
Opening Act

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 07:58:30 AM »

I see we are already bashing Matt, eh? Can a previous member say anything without being blasted? Stop acting like you all were there when UYI was made. You weren't. I just do not get the nit-picking at everything that any old member says. Axl is not perfect. He can try to blame every issue with the old band on everyone else... But- I will ask you this, how many shows were canceled due to Duff, Matt, or Slash not showing up? How many riots were started and people hurt because Matt, Slash or Duff stormed off stage like a diva? I mean, I love Axl, but it seems like Jim Bob has something stupid to say about any ex-member talking about the old band. Jim Bob, were you there? Do you have any clue what Matt, Slash, Duff and Izzy may have been doing in rehearsals while Axl was not around? Axl is a genius musician, but you seem to worship him as God. Axl posts his side of the GnR saga, and you treat it like it is the sequel to the Bible. It would be like me saying that Slash's book is the 100% story of GnR. It is not, it is just one side.

Can you people not see that you are just like the Axl bashers you all claim to hate so much? The difference is that instead of blasting Axl and sounding like an immature little fan boy, you are blasting Slash, Duff and Matt, and sounding like an immature fan boy... '

Again, how many shows canceled and riots started due to the actions of Duff, Slash and Matt? What excuse will you guys have for Axl's behavior?
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 08:37:21 AM »

^ haha, don't even try man. the rest of us gave up trying to talk sense into some people quite a while ago now.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 09:09:44 AM »

Scott has also said recently a reunion could happen again-I think on both sides things have cooled down-even they have to realize there would be money to be made with a reunion tour maybe someday

libertad
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 11:45:31 AM »

This has nothing to do with Axl so all you Matt fans might as well stop trying to amake it about him (again).

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 11:52:17 AM »

and we had the guy that mixed Lincoln Park

wow, they used an urbanist to mix their album. now I understand why it sounded so boring.  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 12:00:42 PM »

wow, they used an urbanist to mix their album. now I understand why it sounded so boring.  hihi

That's funny....

Regarding my original comment: I remember when this shit went down how certain VR members said they fired Scott.

While Scott said he left.

Now even Matt says Scott left....

/jarmo

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 12:18:16 PM »

That's funny....

Regarding my original comment: I remember when this shit went down how certain VR members said they fired Scott.

While Scott said he left.

Now even Matt says Scott left....

/jarmo

this is so interesting, Im just gonna listen.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 01:29:47 PM »

So, I?m real excited about our third album, because we?re going to be able to do more of what we do with me, Duff and Slash.

lol poor Dave...

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 01:35:41 PM »

So, I?m real excited about our third album, because we?re going to be able to do more of what we do with me, Duff and Slash.

lol poor Dave...
thought about that too
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: