Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 04:17:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rox Off, Albums of the Year
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rox Off, Albums of the Year  (Read 2179 times)
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: December 19, 2008, 02:08:11 AM »

ALBUMS OF THE YEAR 2008

Chinese Democracy (Guns N' Roses)
As the final song, Prostitute, tapers off like the setting sun, one can't help imagine what a perfect farewell this would have made for Axl Rose. Clinkety clink, bye bye. But now he's out blogging, at long last giving his version of why there's no tophat in Guns N' Roses anymore. It's hard not to believe a man this dedicated. Frontline media waved handsome pots of green but Rose spilled his version of 'whodunnit' for free. Something that really underlines what Chinese Democracy is all about - this is rock n' roll's first Declaration of Independence. Whatever the hell that means, you'll know when you hear the music. It's stunning. Album of the year. - JOHN PETOILI

Dear Science (TV On The Radio)
Two songs in and you're looking over your shoulder; why aren't these Brooklynites a global phenomenon? Brilliant, sparkling funk, tinged with rock, punk, intelligence and off-kilter street. Taut and crassy, bellbottomed and roomy, Dear Science is prescription-free medication for the burn-out generation (that's you and me). Never forced, never arbitrary. A call to arms and a primal scream, check out some of the weight; "I'm living a life not worth dying for." The receptive ear will find healing, hope and beauty. Did somebody say 'Yes, we can'? - JOHN MACK

Death Magnetic (Metallica)
I never imagined this bone would have any meat on it. I was wrong. Metallica's journey from punkish idiot-metal (the classic Kill 'Em All) to the bear-cornered-in-its-cave, sandblasted purgation of mature middle age (the classic St. Anger) continues. I thought mighty Metallica had come full circle. Well, I was wrong. The San Francisco foursome sound rejuvenated on Magnetic, that is wisely drained of all fat by Rick Rubin, the miracle worker and real Magik behind the Blood Sugar Sex. The veterans are stripped of their medals, airlifted and taken for a second tour in the war zone. The enemy? Creeping death - as in mortality. Do they get to win this time? I believe Colonal Trautman's (Rubin) words of choice were: "This time.. it's up to you." - PETER VENKMAN

Reviewers: ADB, AGR, BUR, DF, JOM, JOP, LIS, PEV, RAC, VIT.
The three albums of the year are culled from submitted top ten lists.

From all of us to all of you - Happy Holidays!

peace

/RF

grog mug
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 02:19:19 AM »

Can you post a link to this?
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 02:20:01 AM »

It's a mailing list - so no.

Smiley

grog mug
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 02:34:30 AM »

Oh ok...good read none the less.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 12:24:16 PM »

ALBUMS OF THE YEAR 2008

Chinese Democracy (Guns N' Roses)
As the final song, Prostitute, tapers off like the setting sun, one can't help imagine what a perfect farewell this would have made for Axl Rose. Clinkety clink, bye bye. But now he's out blogging, at long last giving his version of why there's no tophat in Guns N' Roses anymore. It's hard not to believe a man this dedicated. Frontline media waved handsome pots of green but Rose spilled his version of 'whodunnit' for free. Something that really underlines what Chinese Democracy is all about - this is rock n' roll's first Declaration of Independence. Whatever the hell that means, you'll know when you hear the music. It's stunning. Album of the year. - JOHN PETOILI

Words of the year.  Grin
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 12:34:29 PM »

Awesome

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 04:10:27 PM »

Ha!  Just got the middle one.  Not feelin' it as much as Mack, but it's promising.

Merry Christmas  peace

Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 03:09:49 AM »

I've been listening pretty much nonstop to Dear Science since I got it. Same goes for Chinese Democracy. A lot of the more serious magazines, sites and lists had both albums on their top ten of last year.

Good stuff.

Anyhow, I just noticed this lyric from the track Dancing Choose (Dear Science) yesterday..

I see you figured in your action pose
Foam-injected axl rose,
Life size
Should something shake you
And you drop the news,
Lord, just keep your dancing shoes
Off mine

peace

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 03:23:39 AM »