Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 10:36:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228116 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy co-worker says the album will do well in the long run
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy co-worker says the album will do well in the long run  (Read 5948 times)
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« on: December 10, 2008, 02:26:55 PM »

The guy is claimed to be a GN'R insider too, take that for what it's worth.

All Guitars Tech Drums Classifieds Marketplace RSS Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy nosedives on the charts
An insider offers his thoughts

Joe Bosso, Wed 10 Dec 2008, 5:43 pm UTC

Can anything stop GN'R's downward spiral?

View in gallery
For Axl Rose, it's bad times. A week ago, his much-anticipated album Chinese Democracy debuted to less-than-steller chart showings - in the UK it was handily beat by The Killers' Day & Age, and in the US it did even worse, coming in at Number 3 behind Kanye West and Taylor Swift.

And now it appears that the raging apathy of once-fervent Guns N' Roses fans continues.

Final sales figures are still coming in, but in the UK, Chinese Democracy dropped off the Top 10 and slid to Number 11. And in the US the story is even grimmer, where the record nosedived to Number 17 -that's a 78 percent drop-off from its first-week sales.

Some see a turnaround
With radio stations turning a deaf ear to the album, it would seem that the goose that is Chinese Democracy is cooked. But some insiders close to the Guns N' Roses camp still view the record as a long-term winner.

Bob Chiappardi, the New York City-based CEO of Concrete Marketing, has worked with Guns N' Roses since the Live Like a Suicide EP. Recently, his company worked on TV ads for Chinese Democracy and serviced the album to gentlemen's clubs in the US. According to Chiappardi, the record has yet to receive its moment in the sun.

"It's going to follow the same kind of life of the Kid Rock record, where songs keep coming" Bob Chiappardi, Concrete Marketing"We all expected a situation with the numbers falling off," says Chiappardi. "First off, it's not in every record store in the country, which doesn't help. But I hope it's going to follow the same kind of life of the Kid Rock record, where songs keep coming - then we'll have really good numbers by summer."

Believe in ballads
Radio's resistance to the title cut is "disappointing," says Chiappardi, but he believes that several of the album's ballads "are going to come through. Maybe not on a November Rain basis, but there's some tracks there."

Above all, Chiappardi claims that Chinese Democracy needs time and nurturing. "The record is like a unicorn - there's a legend around it," he says. "It's hard to explain. I think once the smoke clears, it'll rise to the top."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-nosedives-on-the-charts-186624

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:35:45 PM »

I agree with this stance. I believe if 'TWAT' or 'TIL' or 'SOD' is released as a single, this album will take off. It needs to get on more mainstream radio stations like 'November Rain' was. Though I don't think it's the BEST song off the album, I think 'Street of Dreams' really has the best chance to really win over music lovers. It's the song that sounds closest to the 'old' GN'R in terms of their ballads and I think it could then open the door (and ears) to songs like 'TWAT.'

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:37:14 PM »

I agree with this stance. I believe if 'TWAT' or 'TIL' or 'SOD' is released as a single, this album will take off. It needs to get on more mainstream radio stations like 'November Rain' was. Though I don't think it's the BEST song off the album, I think 'Street of Dreams' really has the best chance to really win over music lovers. It's the song that sounds closest to the 'old' GN'R in terms of their ballads and I think it could then open the door (and ears) to songs like 'TWAT.'

Yeah, that's what I've been saying all along. If you get a song like that out there, it's going to wonders. It has appeal to most music fans.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 02:52:27 PM »

It seems like Better is finally getting that push.  It's a great song, I could see it pushing this album back up top.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
mrarkadin
Headliner

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »

I hope he's right.

I thought Chinese Democracy did as good on the radio as that song could--it's a great album opener, but compared to Rock N Roll Train it's not a great single. Is Better too complex? Too poppy? Too heavy? Maybe it too just needs time to catch on.

Part of what helped along those old singles--November Rain especially--was the visual association the videos and their narratives. They also had the association with really exciting live performances. If I remember correctly, Welcome to the Jungle didn't catch on until people saw the video.

So, I don't know if Axl is going to tour or do videos, but those visual associations do help people warm to a tune that is maybe a little too this or that to catch on as a classic single.
eddiesson
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »

Part of what helped along those old singles--November Rain especially--was the visual association the videos and their narratives. They also had the association with really exciting live performances. If I remember correctly, Welcome to the Jungle didn't catch on until people saw the video.

These were different times though. Back then people were buying whole albums even though they knew a couple of songs, mp3 and download was two words that were not invented yet, rock was popular, music videos were effective, MTV was the biggest influence in music industry.

Now the scene is totally different. Just look at MTV to see the difference. There's everything but music on it.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 03:49:13 PM »

I think the band needs to tour in order for the album to rebound long term.

A few pressers wouldn't hurt either.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »

Why are some of you sounding like broken records?

Don't you think one thread is enough for the same shit?

We get it. You want the album, only the album will do.

Oh wait! It's been released.

You got the only thing you ever wanted, but now you want something else. A tour!

I remember when a tour wasn't good enough! It was a year or two ago.

Two weeks after the release you're done with it and are here asking for more.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
SkinnyPuppy
Rocker

What, me Worry ?

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 05:54:21 PM »

Why are some of you sounding like broken records?

Don't you think one thread is enough for the same shit?

They're just dissecting the scenario and trying to evaluate the current fiscal performance and public demand of their favourite record.

And in doing so they are offering their thoughts on what our favourite band should do next.
Nothing wrong with that mate.

Wounds heal, chicks dig scars, and glory, glory lasts forever. (falco)
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 06:05:42 PM »

They're just dissecting the scenario and trying to evaluate the current fiscal performance and public demand of their favourite record.

And in doing so they are offering their thoughts on what our favourite band should do next.

In my opinion there is something wrong with it, when two weeks after the album they claim to have waited for for about 15 years was released, there's no sign of any kind of excitement or positivity from certain people.

This is supposed to be the time when these people actually got the album they bitched about how Axl should "just release it" for years.

Now what are they doing?

They're just doing the same old in every other thread. Complaining and asking for more.

When will you fucking get that the complaining isn't gonna help anybody? Except maybe yourselves because I guess it makes you feel great knowing you can always log on and put "your favorite band" down from behind a computer....

What a bunch of bullshit.

I hope you're all sending your CVs to Universal Music and other companies since you're all experts on marketing, touring, promotion and so on.  ok

When a fan starts using the word "units" when taking about the album he/she "waited" for since the 1990s, something's not right. Suddenly the art has just become a product.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 06:14:17 PM »

i for one am satisfied....i got the cd and it rocks.  i was expecting a lot of negativity because nothing, and i repeat, nothing, can live up to 15 years of hype.  we had to expect some people would be dissappointed. 

regardless, we got cd and i couldn't be happier

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:17:33 PM »

I'm glad you're able to enjoy the music instead of focusing on the other stuff.

ok

That's what it's all about.

The music.

It's out there, enjoy it.

/jarmo

doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 07:08:58 PM »

I'm glad you're able to enjoy the music instead of focusing on the other stuff.

ok

That's what it's all about.

The music.

It's out there, enjoy it.

/jarmo

yeah...i remember that's all anybody wanted...now we got it.  the music speaks for itself.  sure, i'd like a tour and all that, but even if we don't get all that we still got an awesome cd!!

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 08:10:10 PM »

Well, I do not demand anything (who am I to do that?), and I dont think at all that the number of copies sold are dissapointing.

But I really feel that GNR and its management should do something more to promote the album, simply because the album is a masterpiece. I consider ''Chinese Democracy'' the best GNR record ever (by far) and its a pity that a lot of people will never listen to the phenomenal songs the disc has inside because the album release news is happening almost unnoticed.

For example, GNR is #2 in my country, and lots of stores have the album sold out. Guess what? ZERO promotion. Just a minimum promotion (one unpretencious / cheap video-clip, for example), one or two cool interviews and I'm sure sales will be a lot better.

If GNR's decision is not going to promote the album, that's cool for me. I have the album in my hands and I cant stop listening it, and I discover new things every time I hear it. I'm absolutely in love with the album. It's all I have ever dreamed and more.

Let the people know GNR is back. I see a lot of you saying that video clips are not longer useful in the USA. But ... there's life outside USA! Teenagers in my country just listen and buy a record if they like ''the song that's on MTV''. This is the first time I see ''singles'' without physical release and without video-clips simultaneously.

All I want is more and more people to feel the same than me when listening to masterpieces like TWAT or Prostitute. It's not a critic, not a demand, not bitching. Just a wish.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Vitor_Icewall
Headliner

Chinese Democracy!!

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 08:53:42 PM »

In my opinion there is something wrong with it, when two weeks after the album they claim to have waited for for about 15 years was released, there's no sign of any kind of excitement or positivity from certain people.

This is supposed to be the time when these people actually got the album they bitched about how Axl should "just release it" for years.

Now what are they doing?

They're just doing the same old in every other thread. Complaining and asking for more.

When will you fucking get that the complaining isn't gonna help anybody? Except maybe yourselves because I guess it makes you feel great knowing you can always log on and put "your favorite band" down from behind a computer....

What a bunch of bullshit.

I hope you're all sending your CVs to Universal Music and other companies since you're all experts on marketing, touring, promotion and so on.  ok

When a fan starts using the word "units" when taking about the album he/she "waited" for since the 1990s, something's not right. Suddenly the art has just become a product.

/jarmo

Man...

A lot fans want to see your favorite band rockin the world. They waited too long just for listen the chinese songs, thats true. But think about it: They was imagined how cool will be, listen the album, watch the videoclip, watch GNR in a big tour! I think the just want the best for GNR, and sometimes I think that way too...

But I know how smart Axl and the guys are, and they know whats they have to do! If Axl dont want a super marketing, for me, thats great anyway! I have my album and I'm happy with it...

But try to be cool with people, Jarmo, cause I think that they just want the best for GNR!!!

Sorry for my bad english!  Grin

Chinese Democracy

Cause it would take a lot more hate than you
To end the fascination
Even with your iron fist
More than you got to rule the nation
When I all I've got is precious time
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 09:02:07 PM »

And, I think some people are worried about the sales because it may put the rest of the supposed 'trilogy' of albums in danger of ever being released. If CD were to fail, who would want to back him up with another two albums?

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 09:09:39 PM »

And, I think some people are worried about the sales because it may put the rest of the supposed 'trilogy' of albums in danger of ever being released. If CD were to fail, who would want to back him up with another two albums?
That is the only reason to be concerned about sales.  As long as the record sells enough to ensure the next release, then that is all that has any effect on us as fans.

Beyond that, no one should care.

Ali
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 09:16:25 PM »

A lot fans want to see your favorite band rockin the world. They waited too long just for listen the chinese songs, thats true. But think about it: They was imagined how cool will be, listen the album, watch the videoclip, watch GNR in a big tour! I think the just want the best for GNR, and sometimes I think that way too...

I understand that too, but I don't understand why a tour needs to happen within two weeks of the release?

Why does everything have to happen at once?

Isn't there enough to keep people occupied for a while? 14 songs.....

It just seems like some people are constantly asking for more and can't be happy with what they have gotten so far.

/jarmo

Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 09:28:53 PM »

I wanted 15 songs.  Not 14.

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
Vitor_Icewall
Headliner

Chinese Democracy!!

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 09:45:07 PM »

I understand that too, but I don't understand why a tour needs to happen within two weeks of the release?

Why does everything have to happen at once?

Isn't there enough to keep people occupied for a while? 14 songs.....

It just seems like some people are constantly asking for more and can't be happy with what they have gotten so far.

/jarmo

I agree! I think people have to be patience, cause the tour dont have to start now!

In my country have a lot fight about the chinese: some love it (me!!!  ok ) and some hate it just because we love it so much... So, we been years saying "Wait for the chinese and you will see how great it is" and when this album release, this haters just come up to me on the messenger and say:

"See! This album is a crap! Axl has fear to realease a videoclip and show your face to the world! He saw how shit he did!"

And I and a lot fans start a fight! lol

This happened on orkut, messenger...

So thats why a lot fans want to see GNR rockin the world! lol

But in the end, to me, I'M VERY HAPPY WITH THIS ALBUM!! AMAZING!!! THANKS AXL!

Chinese Democracy

Cause it would take a lot more hate than you
To end the fascination
Even with your iron fist
More than you got to rule the nation
When I all I've got is precious time
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: