Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 12:32:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228560 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  how many "new" fans do you think bought the album
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: how many "new" fans do you think bought the album  (Read 3712 times)
nateinthehon
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: December 03, 2008, 04:24:08 PM »

So, I guess the final tally is 261k + whatever Itunes totals are.

I wonder how many people, kids mainly, bought CD who have never owned a GNR album, nor have they really been "into" them. I doubt that the figure is high(so far). I think that is a key demograph that hasnt been tapped into. Maybe the Alt rock station listeners, ones who dont listen to classic/hard rock mainly
reed2009
Headliner

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 04:50:21 PM »

i am 20 years old and one of a different breed i worship this band and axl but in my age group id say from 12 to 25 there really isnt many diehards or even fans of guns, yes i have a select few friends that rock out with me but i say that it will take time for this album to express its self to newer younger fans! and i am hoping it does!! im sick of the bullshit so called rock out there now! axl thanks for this terriffic album and younger fans go buy it!  ok

scraped
jeffaz02t
Opening Act

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 04:53:08 PM »

I hope many new fans buy CD, but with the lackluster promotion, I fear they will not. Shackler's Revenge in that video game may help, but I do not think it is the best song to attract new fans. My guess, the vast majority of people who bought CD have bought other GnR albums in the past.
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:21:42 PM »

Must be a few 'mats, primus and bhead/praxis fans who weren't previously GnR fans and grabbed a copy...
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 06:02:04 PM »

Not enough...

That can change in an instant if "Better" or a song like "This I Love" catches fire as a single someday though...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 06:11:08 PM »

It sold 260,000. Outside of the hardcore Internet fans? Not many.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 06:38:23 PM »

It's still a big seller..Just not as big as hoped..Dissapointed RS does'nt have them on the cover..But damn Britney looks good!!!
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 06:46:21 PM »

Sales figures have been revealed, no number 1, not even number 2...just a bronze medal. If Slash and co. were around things would be different, don?t get me wrong, Chinese Democracy rocks. I read the news on MTV and they are also reporting on the rumours about the classic lineup reunion.

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 07:30:33 PM »

I doubt anyone who bought this album never owned a GnR album before.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 07:37:42 PM »

hope there won't be too many young kids at the tour (if and when it happens)

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 07:40:25 PM »

just makes u wonder if all the diehards didnt buy 2 and 3 albums a piece how many it would've sold?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 07:55:37 PM »

did the pre orders count in the final tally?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »

Well, although I had Appetite For Destruction well before "Sweet Child O' Mine" was released as a single, many weren't sold until that song broke out huge in the summer of 1988.

I think "This I Love" could very well be the SCOM of the new generation. Younger people will eat that song up once they hear it. I really hope it will be the next single after "Better", because I want to see the younger kids embrace GN'R the way I did all those years ago.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
bigcash2002
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »

I can't believe that this CD only sold 250K copies so far.  I love this album, in the end, I guess that is all that matters.  However, IMO this statistic is pathetic considering who released the album and the anticipation and controversy that naturally follows Axl.  I know that sales could take off when a tour, more singles, video, etc. happens.  But at the same time, I think this was a missed opportunity to sell 3 times the product in the opening week.  I was expecting a huge campaign and push as the album approached.  IMO, this released should have been an explosion of GNR and they should have been everywhere.  Not to preach to the choir here, but damn, I am disappointed in the following:

1) Axl decided to do zero promotion for this album.  I know, and love Axl for what he stands for.  However, I think he could have still done a few promotional things without crossing the line and "pimping himself out"
2) While I love the Best Buy Exclusive....their promotion was a joke.  They should have advertised this much more and earlier.
3) I can't believe that GNR singles were pushed harder for radio play.  This could have been done much better if promoted properly.
4) We have not see any members of the band out promoting this album
5) I would have liked to see articles and photos of the band in almost every music magazine and newspaper this month
6) I can't imagine how or why GNR's top notch management team decided that his was the best way or enough promotion for an album like this one
7) At a minimum, I would have thought that an interview and cover of Rollingstone would have been done

I hope more is to come from the band...but damn, this was a poor start IMO
bigcash2002
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 09:37:27 PM »

just makes u wonder if all the diehards didnt buy 2 and 3 albums a piece how many it would've sold?

Great point.  That makes the sales numbers more pathetic.  For example, I purchased 15 or so on the 23rd.  I am sure I will probably purchase at least another 12 copies before it is all said and done.

I have been giving them to friends and others that love music to try and bring something good to people that may have not purchased it.  Maybe, in my own funny way, I am promoting the band throughout Ohio hihi
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 09:48:06 PM »

I know of one for sure.  She lived with me back in 06' when the first batch of songs leaked, she loved Better and SOD/Blues.  She was a first day buyer, although I hounded her for a couple weeks prior to release. 

You could tell she was a first time buyer because a couple days after she texted me and asked.....so the original band got back together right?   I replied that Axl is in the band and that's all that matters for now

Who knows whether the die hard purchasing had too much of an effect on the overall sales, other than maybe it was enough to at least get the album number 3.  Without the die hards buying mutliple copies it could have landed at number 4.   I snagged 12 copies, and may pick up one more vinyl.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:50:32 PM by JuicySwoos » Logged

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 10:12:24 PM »

so the original band got back together right?   

Who knows, maybe she?s foreseeing the future. Anyway, The album has sold more than Spaghetti...which is good considering that, even though GnR back then was not at their peak, the classic lineup was still together. You might also want to consider that it ain?t easy to have a rock record go to number 1, if you are not pop, then you?ll have to settle for a second or third place, with exceptions of course.

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 01:24:34 AM »

I think "This I Love" could very well be the SCOM of the new generation. Younger people will eat that song up once they hear it. I really hope it will be the next single after "Better", because I want to see the younger kids embrace GN'R the way I did all those years ago.
[/quote

I love This I Love, but I have to disagree, for a few reasons:

1.  Try singing along to it.  At that high range, it's impossible for the average person on the street to even attempt it.   

2.  There's no chorus to it.  No hook.  There are two or three succinct parts to Sweet Child that everybody knows, even if you're not a big fan.

3.  Even a long epic ballad like November Rain had a chorus that was catchy, and that's why it had such a long shelf life, even to this day.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 01:31:19 AM »

what is the "chorus" to november rain?

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV