Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 03:30:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  What?s the deal with the Vinyl revival?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What?s the deal with the Vinyl revival?  (Read 7639 times)
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 01:21:02 PM »

And you have an Enuff Z' Nuff single, woah!
Haha, I also have a fair few Ratt and Poison albums  Cheesy
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 01:39:36 PM »

RATT, awesome. Which ones? hopefully Out of the Cellar and Invasion of your Privacy, those two are classics.
Extra kudos if you have the RATT EP.

html sucks
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 01:55:43 PM »

RATT, awesome. Which ones? hopefully Out of the Cellar and Invasion of your Privacy, those two are classics.
Extra kudos if you have the RATT EP.
'Tis the EP and Invasion... Picked them up in a charity shop, they really are one of the ultimate places for collecting, although you have to be careful now they are getting smarter and pricing things higher...
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 02:12:31 PM »

yeah some old RATT t-shirts on ebay were selling for stupid prices!

html sucks
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 02:17:57 PM »

Haha no I don't mean Ratt specifically I mean charity shops.  Vinyls used to be real cheap and they had no idea what some were worth, now though, they KNOW when they have good lps and price them up, unfortunately...

...D probably won't like me saying this, but as far as rock artists go, Bon Jovi's records were all over charity shops i've been to, more so than any other rock artist.  Cheesy
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 02:30:11 PM »

Haha no I don't mean Ratt specifically I mean charity shops.  Vinyls used to be real cheap and they had no idea what some were worth, now though, they KNOW when they have good lps and price them up, unfortunately...

...D probably won't like me saying this, but as far as rock artists go, Bon Jovi's records were all over charity shops i've been to, more so than any other rock artist.  Cheesy

I picked up "shout at the devil", and a few AC/DC records last week for only a buck a pop at the good ole goodwill last week.  They are a great place to find cheap vinyl. 

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 04:18:26 PM »

Its has nothing to do with sound

It has everything to do with being a pretenious wanker

'oh I listen to the album on vinyl, you mean you dont?! Oh how drool'

Its like smoking weed - those that do it have to tell everyone else in some desperate attempt at self validation

Vinyl died because it was shite

Vinyl died because CD's are a shinier and cheaper toy (to make, no to buy, of course). Easier packaging, lower freight, more units. Now they want to get rid of that too. All digital, straight from an automated hit machine. Flushing out copy after copy of the easiest digestible, most forgettable plastic sounds made for man, attached to a jerk off inducing busty digistar.

Vinyl represents a time when a little effort went into what once used to be about the art. And the sound is indeed better, if you're listening to real music.

as opposed to fake music.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 12:06:31 AM »

I picked up "shout at the devil", and a few AC/DC records last week for only a buck a pop at the good ole goodwill last week.  They are a great place to find cheap vinyl. 

Yep, 92 cent classics at Goodwill.
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 01:53:26 PM »

I have been playing CD on my record player daily,  yesterday it finally occurred to me that I don't have any 45's left in my life, then it got me thinking how cool it would be if GNR actually put out one of their singles for all of us born again vinal lovers onto a 45.  I'm sure the possibility doesn't even exist, but for me and maybe a few others out here would be great to have.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 06:39:44 PM »

Chinese Democracy (the song) was put out on a 45!
Albert S Miller
Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »

Chinese Democracy (the song) was put out on a 45!
I really had no idea, thank you so much ok
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 11:09:48 PM by msaxl43 » Logged

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Albert S Miller
Legend

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 11:27:40 PM »

K... where do I find it plez?

Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »

The simple answer is vinyl does sound better.  Analog recording in general is still the best way to hear rock n roll.

Chicago 11/15/11
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 07:01:45 PM »

I think you had to pre-order it from HMV.
Albert S Miller
Legend

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 07:20:42 PM »

I think you had to pre-order it from HMV.
Thanks again

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 07:48:57 PM »

Sound in its nature is analogue so vinyl is the best way to hear music as it is a complete identical copy of the master. Digital is based on highs and lows and works by filling in those gaps where the other frequencies should be (not all of them) so the human ear doesn't notice. When those frequencies are all in the signal like they are supposed to be you can hear the difference. I generally find drums on vinyl to be far more punchy and better represented than on cd.
No it is not an "identical" copy of the master - nice try though. Nothing beats a live instrument.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 07:47:28 AM »

The simple answer is vinyl does sound better.  Analog recording in general is still the best way to hear rock n roll.
You know im sure CD is the superior, the only reason it doesnt sound so good lately is the bands compressing everything when they record. Thats nothin to do with the CD.

html sucks
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 12:42:58 PM »

The technical answer is this.

Digital - You have a top and bottom end limit to frequencies.  You see things like 44.1 K, 48K, 96K.  A computer is analyzing and putting the frequencies (sounds) onto a bit map.  The higher the number, the bigger the map. When you put it to compact disc, you go back to 16 bit. Hi-def sets you up at 24 bit.

Analog - Tape frequency range is infinite.  So most high level bands can afford to record tracks on 2" tape and lose no frequency range.  Then you can put the master onto say 1 or 1/2" tape and lose none of the frequency range.  Yet, when it is transfered to disc, it still has to convert to 16 bit digital, then it sounds "squashed".  The big $ amounts in studios are spent on the best analog to digital converters. Vinyl on the other hand has the same properties recording-wise as tape, so the original frequency ranges are left in tact.

In all fairness, 96K/24 bit has helped in this regard, but you still have to put the thing on this 16 bit cd, unless you again go hi-def to 24 bit.  The flip side is the integrity of the cd is easier to keep vs. vinyl.  You have to take good care of vinyl or you get skips and pops more readily.  Plus, it's a real bitch to play vinyl in the car.  The cassette tape went away because of degradation.  You play a tape a hundred times and the magnetic force that keeps the sound on the tape starts to weaken.

Mathematically, analog is the best way to fly.

Also would agree nothing beats a rocking live band.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:51:21 PM by Layflats » Logged

Chicago 11/15/11
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: