Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:33:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  What?s the deal with the Vinyl revival?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What?s the deal with the Vinyl revival?  (Read 7662 times)
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« on: November 29, 2008, 09:45:57 PM »

Ok so, Vinyl releases are huge right now, again, but why is it? is it something nostalgic? is it better sound quality?

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 07:13:50 AM »

Probably nostalgia. I don't own any vinyl - except for two GNR singles that I found - though I was thinking about buying CD on vinyl just to have it.

People say the sound quality on vinyl is better but having never listened to one I wouldn't know. Tongue I've grown up with CDs and they sound alright to me. Grin

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:26:26 AM »

i hate vinyl.

its big, its messy and easy to damage.

I guess im just part of the CD generation so i cant stand the thought of "memory cards" replacing them.

html sucks
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:25:34 AM »

I have mucho love for vinyl.

One of the best aspects before even getting into the sound quality is being able to see the front cover properly.  I was kind of annoyed that with Chinese Democracy the records were just in blank sleeves, with my Appetite and Illusions Vinyls you have all the pictures on the sleeve.

I got into vinyl years back and have loved collecting them and sound wise do prefer it, I don't listen to it as much as I would like to these days just for the sake of convenience, since I often listen to music on my laptop from room-to-room.

Anyway I created a thread a while back to worship it's greatness...  Cheesy http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=14035.0

But on a side note CD's are great to.  Fuck the memory card/itunes thoughts/ideas.  I like booklets in my hands and decorated CDs dammit.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 11:01:46 AM »

i hate vinyl.

its big, its messy and easy to damage.

I guess im just part of the CD generation so i cant stand the thought of "memory cards" replacing them.

Yeah, what's up with the memory cards? That shit ain't right.

I bet when I'm 40 or whatever, there'll be a CD revival and we shall all marvel at their greatness and going down to the old HMV (the modern equivalent of the old back street record shop) to buy them and how the kids these days don't know what they're missing.

iTunes is good for just getting a track or two off an album. That's what I use it for anyway. Only ever bought one full album off there and that was a while ago.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 12:25:11 PM »

Vinyl has a sound of it's own which is often mistaken for "better quality".   

Throw one on if you have a chance.  There IS a difference.  Just don't get sucked into the "vinyl is better" hype. 

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 01:18:33 PM »

I have mucho love for vinyl.

One of the best aspects before even getting into the sound quality is being able to see the front cover properly.  I was kind of annoyed that with Chinese Democracy the records were just in blank sleeves, with my Appetite and Illusions Vinyls you have all the pictures on the sleeve.

I got into vinyl years back and have loved collecting them and sound wise do prefer it, I don't listen to it as much as I would like to these days just for the sake of convenience, since I often listen to music on my laptop from room-to-room.

Anyway I created a thread a while back to worship it's greatness...  Cheesy http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=14035.0

But on a side note CD's are great to.  Fuck the memory card/itunes thoughts/ideas.  I like booklets in my hands and decorated CDs dammit.

I agree on the CD, memory card and itunes crap. I want the booklets and the CD/LP!
when it comes to vinyl though, it's just normally too much work for me to bother with it.
I'll probably like it more when I have a good and easy stereo setup some day.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 02:14:36 PM »

iTunes is good for just getting a track or two off an album. That's what I use it for anyway. Only ever bought one full album off there and that was a while ago.
True.  I've used it for B-Sides I can't find elsewhere and "Itunes" exclusive tracks, but dammit that's not right!  Monster Magnet had the right idea with the bonus track on their last record....Vinyl Exclusive!  Cheesy

People should post some pictures of their vinyl collections here, would be really cool to see, especially Picture Discs, I love collecting them!  yes
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 03:04:18 PM »

My vinyl collection - this likely warrants the purchase of a new turntable- my old one died a couple years back...( The Zep box set actually does not belong ( that was the 4-CD set) but all else is vinyl)

BTW- much of it were hand me downs from my parents so there is an LP or 2 which seems a bit odd....

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »

Its has nothing to do with sound

It has everything to do with being a pretenious wanker

'oh I listen to the album on vinyl, you mean you dont?! Oh how drool'

Its like smoking weed - those that do it have to tell everyone else in some desperate attempt at self validation

Vinyl died because it was shite

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Evolution
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 04:40:15 PM »

Its like smoking weed - those that do it have to tell everyone else in some desperate attempt at self validation

Bah humbug!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »

Holy shit, Senator! you just gave me a major flash back! that picture looks EXACTLY like what i have seen for years at my house growing up and still to this day at my parent's house. underneath the receiver, CD player, etc on the bottom of the stereo case, we kept the large vinyls that didn't fit right in the seperate shelves we had. same wood frame with led zep first, Bruce live next, followed by a bunch of other albums.

i love vinyl! to me it sounds more real. almost as if i'm listening to a live cut.

i'm actually shopping for a better storage system for my dad for xmas for his whole collection.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 07:09:03 PM »

Bah humbug!
Careful, responses like that will get him started on why he doesn't like Christmas  Lips Sealed

Nice collection Senator Blutarsky good spread of taste, from Van Halen to Creedence Clearwater Revival  Cheesy
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »

Vinyl has a sound of it's own which is often mistaken for "better quality".   

Throw one on if you have a chance.  There IS a difference.  Just don't get sucked into the "vinyl is better" hype. 

That is a decent take.  Vinyl does sound different.  Just like taste, everyone's ear is different as well. Some will prefer the sound of vinyl, some will prefer CD, some will not notice a difference.  Heck, most may not notice a difference between MP3 and vinyl/cds

The nostalgia factor is also a reason for the resurgence.  The "collection" aspect of vinyl adds to the experience for many.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 07:27:08 PM »

Vinyl died because CD's are a shinier and cheaper toy (to make, no to buy, of course). Easier packaging, lower freight, more units. Now they want to get rid of that too. All digital, straight from an automated hit machine. Flushing out copy after copy of the easiest digestible, most forgettable plastic sounds made for man, attached to a jerk off inducing busty digistar.

Vinyl represents a time when a little effort went into what once used to be about the art. And the sound is indeed better, if you're listening to real music.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 07:46:57 PM »

Too many to get into one pic so here's a bunch, some GN'R, Crue and 12" and 7" Picture Discs.

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 08:14:39 PM »

Yeah. that's what I'm talking about. No further reasoning necessary. ^

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »

Get a load of angry Grandpa....

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 09:31:11 PM »

Too many to get into one pic so here's a bunch, some GN'R, Crue and 12" and 7" Picture Discs.

That's awesome.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 12:44:41 PM »

Hammy, that is one amazing collection.

And you have an Enuff Z' Nuff single, woah!

html sucks
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: