Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 05:48:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228140 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Record Palyer
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Record Palyer  (Read 10828 times)
RitzWalker8
Rocker

I love my Pancreas!!!

« on: November 23, 2008, 06:31:35 PM »

I bought the vinyl and the Cd.  I know nothing about vinyls records and record players.  Does anyone know where to get a good record player for a good price.  How much do they cost?  Is it worth getting and can you the tell the difference?

Ritz Reeves III
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:35:02 PM »

should have asked someone at Best Buy that question...they have a wide selection of them. some are USB and can be plugged into your PC, others can connect to a stereo system.

some say that LP's are much better than CD's due to something with the compression, I myself have not tried the record yet so, that remains to be seen.
Olorin
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:57:12 PM »

I bought the vinyl and the Cd.  I know nothing about vinyls records and record players.  Does anyone know where to get a good record player for a good price.  How much do they cost?  Is it worth getting and can you the tell the difference?

Its the stylus and cartridge that determines if you can tell the difference sound wise. Professional turntables mostly aimed at djs and are very robust and powerful, to withstand mixing, scratching and loud vibrations are quite expensive. They also come with a huge market of stylus and cartriges which also vary in expensive and even the basic professional stylus will be superior to what you would get on a standard household record player. Standard household record players are limited usually to the brand cartriges that come with the player.

A stylus, is the needle. A cartrige is what the needle is attatched to, its like the head at the end of the arm that you lift up and put on the record. (excuse my drunken spelling)

Its not worth worrying about for what you are looking for, the differences in sound will be minimal.

If you find a record player that you like the look of and can afford it, then go for it.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 07:04:34 PM »

I would try and take a listen somehow before you go out and buy a turntable.  Not everyone's ear is the same. Some people can't tell the difference between MP3 and CD, and many will also not notice a difference between vinyl and LP.   It will even come down to the actual album you are listening to as well.  Some albums could sound better on vinyl, some you won't notice any difference.  Like many things, it will come down to personal preference.   For instance, I think Chin Dem sounds much better on vinyl, so it is a great album to jump into vinyl.   On the flipside, many people won't notice a difference.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 07:33:42 PM »

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7367324&type=product&id=1122653506956

This is what I picked up about a year ago. Cheap, works good.

Axl is God.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »

^ I did not know they had those...cool as shit!

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 12:57:00 AM »

It's crazy reading this, when I was a kid that's what we had.  Singles were on 45's which is size of disc and the albums were played on a 33" disc.  You had to put a little piece onto the middle of record player to allow 45 to fit in to place, the album itself had small hole in center as you see if you bought a vinal. It's wierd now so obsolete.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 01:21:50 AM »

It's crazy reading this, when I was a kid that's what we had.  Singles were on 45's which is size of disc and the albums were played on a 33" disc.  You had to put a little piece onto the middle of record player to allow 45 to fit in to place, the album itself had small hole in center as you see if you bought a vinal. It's wierd now so obsolete.

Yup.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 02:43:16 AM »

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7367324&type=product&id=1122653506956

Thanks! Ill pick that one up!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Olorin
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 05:24:14 AM »

Why on earth would you want to buy the album on vinyl, then buy a record player that converts the album to mp3?  confused

Here's what I have, well I have 2, from my dj days -  Technics SL 1210

The king of turntubles for 25 years, only recently been given a slight revamp with the mrk 5 model.

http://www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds975/content/vinyl01.html

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 12:26:49 PM »

There is a similar turn table is on sale at...wait for it, in it's randomness:

Bed, Bath, and Beyond

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=15875453

I have no earthly clue as to it's quality....but I know about it because my MOM asked for it for Christmas.

Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »

Why on earth would you want to buy the album on vinyl, then buy a record player that converts the album to mp3?  confused

Here's what I have, well I have 2, from my dj days -  Technics SL 1210

The king of turntubles for 25 years, only recently been given a slight revamp with the mrk 5 model.

http://www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds975/content/vinyl01.html

Well actually, I picked it up for my father, who loved that feature because then he could convert all his old weird vinyls that I can't find anywhere. So that's why.

Axl is God.
Olorin
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 01:17:06 PM »

Fair enough  Smiley I wasnt directing my comment at anyone in particular, just taken aback with the number of people buying the vinyl for the better sound quality, then playing it back through their computers.

I'm a vinyl buff Undecided
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 01:41:30 PM »

Fair enough  Smiley I wasnt directing my comment at anyone in particular, just taken aback with the number of people buying the vinyl for the better sound quality, then playing it back through their computers.

I'm a vinyl buff Undecided

The turntable I linked to will be hooked up to both....her stereo system (via RCA line out on the turntable) AND her PC via usb

Because you can't carry a record player with you in your car....or, rather, you probably can, but it wouldn't be very practical once you'd designed the stabilization system, wired it into you stereo, and figured out some way of changing discs and sides while moving (and not scratching your vinyl), all WITHOUT loading a custom Rockola into your trunk...and she has a LOT of old vinyl you just can't find anywhere, anymore.  Old christmas albums, old groups that most people have never heard of before, lots of stuff you just can't buy on CD.  So she can now take all that old stuff and both LISTEN to it at home, AND make it more portable (via CD or mp3).  Best of both worlds.  Sure, you might lose the "vinyl" sound to get "portable", but that's secondary (for her) to losing the ability to listen to it AT ALL.

She never owned a stellar turn table, so I suspect the ION that's being bandied around will work just fine for her.  I have a vinyl copy of CD, which I bought to frame (rather than play), but I may give it a spin, at some point...just to do it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:45:30 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Olorin
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 02:27:43 PM »

Who's on their high horse now?

I understand the function and many uses of usb adaptable turntable, I own one myself and its been very useful for putting some rare records onto a more readily accessible format.

Mine doesnt allow playback through, its usb only and I mistook the ones above for converting only, hence being a waste of time for looking for the vinyl experience.

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 04:21:54 PM »

Who's on their high horse now?

I understand the function and many uses of usb adaptable turntable, I own one myself and its been very useful for putting some rare records onto a more readily accessible format.

Mine doesnt allow playback through, its usb only and I mistook the ones above for converting only, hence being a waste of time for looking for the vinyl experience.

Hey, question for a vinyl buff.  I recently purchased two Klipsch power subwoofers (just for CD believe it or not), and now I am getting major feedback from my turntable when I turn the volume up.  I think the stylus is picking up on the vibrations or something.  I looked up online how to resolved this, and everthing seems to mention"suspending" the turntable, but that is just not feasable for me.  any suggestions?

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Olorin
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 04:36:37 PM »

I dont think vibrations wont give you feedback, it would just make the needle skip

Is there a little wire on the back of your turntable to earth the turntable?

Have you tried conecting the turntable through a different channel?

Did the turntable work ok at a high volume before connecting up your subwoofers?

What kind of turntable is it?

Have you tried moving the subwoofers or turntable somewhere different, couldnt be a clash of magnets between electronic equipment?

Do those subwoofers have an internal amplifier? Sometimes 2 amplifiers competing can mess the sound output up.

Are the wires connecting the cartrige and stylus firmly in place?

Sitting the turntable on a polystyrene sheet or putting wide polystyrene blocks under the the feet of the turntable helps absorb vibrations.
When my friends and I started out we used to use community halls and gym halls for our events and discovered standard gym matts were amazing for absorbing vibrations. Mabye try putting something rubbery or foamy underneath, its just as effective as suspending the turntable.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 04:48:42 PM by Olorin » Logged
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 05:09:28 PM »

I dont think vibrations wont give you feedback, it would just make the needle skip

Is there a little wire on the back of your turntable to earth the turntable?

Have you tried conecting the turntable through a different channel?

Did the turntable work ok at a high volume before connecting up your subwoofers?

What kind of turntable is it?

Have you tried moving the subwoofers or turntable somewhere different, couldnt be a clash of magnets between electronic equipment?

Do those subwoofers have an internal amplifier? Sometimes 2 amplifiers competing can mess the sound output up.

Are the wires connecting the cartrige and stylus firmly in place?

Sitting the turntable on a polystyrene sheet or putting wide polystyrene blocks under the the feet of the turntable helps absorb vibrations.
When my friends and I started out we used to use community halls and gym halls for our events and discovered standard gym matts were amazing for absorbing vibrations. Mabye try putting something rubbery or foamy underneath, its just as effective as suspending the turntable.

My reciever does not have a phono input, so I had to go with a model that had its own pre-amp built in, and therefor no ground cable. I know this is not the most prefered method but it difficult to find a reciever now a days with a phono input.  I may return the turntable and look into purchasing a separate pre-amp and then find a TT with the proper ground wire.   I will try the turntable on a different input tonight, and will see if I can't find something to put under it to help with the vibrations.  I have a Sony turntable, which is considered entry level but did get good reviews, so that might have something to do with it too.   I do not have the constant "hum" that is consistent with grounding issues, but rather just intermitent low frequency hum that comes from the subwoofers, sounding like feedback.

The turntable worked fine without the subwoofers, but at the same time the sytem did not put out those really low frequencies.  Both are powered subs, and neither are close to the TT.  My tower speakers however  are somewhat close to the TT, but that is the way it has to be due to room setup restrictions.  I have no issue with compact discs in regards to the subwoofers.   I prefer the sound of vinyl hands down to CD, but also love to "feel" my music, so the subwoofers are staying.  I may have to take a break from vinyl for a bit until I can afford a schamcy fancy TT, but from what I have been reading I don't even know if that will solve the problem either. 

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Olorin
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 05:21:01 PM »

Feedback is usually caused by electonic equipment being too close, being connected wrongly or  just not being compatible.

Its nothing to do with the how good the turntable is, it sounds like a decent one you have anyway.

What is the turntable connected to and what are the sub woofers connected to?

Does the turntable play without feedback, when the subwoofers are not connected? Can you use the sub woofers without the feedback, playing cds through that source?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:25:22 PM by Olorin » Logged
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »

Feedback is usually caused by electonic equipment being too close, being connected wrongly or  just not being compatible.

Its nothing to do with the how good the turntable is, it sounds like a decent one you have anyway.

What is the turntable connected to and what are the sub woofers connected to?

Does the turntable play without feedback, when the subwoofers are not connected? Can you use the sub woofers without the feedback, playing cds through that source?

I did not notice anything absent the subwoofers.    When I use CD's, it is crystal clear, no feedback or goofy noise, so it is not the woofers.  The woofers are connected via the recievers subwoofer pre-out with decent sheilded subwoofer cables. The TT was connected to the "Tape" input, but I am going to switch to another input this evening to see if that helps.   

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »