Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 06:02:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228140 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Record Palyer
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Record Palyer  (Read 10830 times)
Olorin
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 06:12:55 PM »

It might very well do, I  have had similar problems and simply switching around the channels you connect it through often solves it.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:19:30 PM by Olorin » Logged
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 08:05:28 PM »

I tried it and it did not work.  I can't help but think the stylus is picking up on something.  I have hardwood floors, and I notice when I moved one of my speakers with the TT was playing, I could hear it from the subwoofer.  Then I kind of stomped my foot a bit, and again, that would play through the subwoofer.   Weird.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »

Why on earth would you want to buy the album on vinyl, then buy a record player that converts the album to mp3?  confused

Here's what I have, well I have 2, from my dj days -  Technics SL 1210

The king of turntubles for 25 years, only recently been given a slight revamp with the mrk 5 model.

http://www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds975/content/vinyl01.html

wanna sell me one? Smiley

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Olorin
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 03:50:16 AM »

You should definently try and  insulate the turntable from vibrations then, if you have hardwood floor it will not absorb low frequencies causing vibrations.
If you get a thick towel and fold it up so the turntable sits snugly on it, you can see if it makes a difference to the noise your hearing. You can try sitting the subwoofers on something that will cushion the vibrations also. If this makes a difference then you know its vibrations causing it.
 Because of your hardwood floor, I would go over the top in cushioning both turntable and speakers in an experiment, then you can rule it out if it makes no difference at all.

If you look around on ebay you will find lots of second hand Technics 1200's and 1210's. 1200's are the silver original design, 1210's were the next design released in the 80's 90's, they are black, basically the same, just some little improvements . They are very robust and generally last forever when looked after properly.  You would be able to pick a good condition one up cheap as most people buy them in pairs, then get bored of trying to be a dj and sell them on, often individually.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 03:53:44 AM by Olorin » Logged
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 01:01:27 PM »

I will try that.  One major thing I noticed when looking at other TT's last night.  Mine only weighs 6 pounds, and something like the 1200 weighs 20+ pounds......do you think that has anything to do with my TT picking up on something because it is so light?

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Olorin
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 01:45:45 PM »

Yeah, you will definently need to cushion it somehow, it might spoil the look of your set up but should make a difference. What about putting together a little shelve just for the turntable, fixed to the wall? You could have thick rubber washers between the shelf and the wall brackets to act like suspension.

The Technics weigh a tonne lol  Grin they are driven by a motor, a direct drive - rather than a belt drive and overall just built very very solidly.

I remember when I was about 8 or 9, my older brother and his friends were all into djing. My brother had borrowed  his friends 1200's and a box of records, they asked me to help carry all the gear back to this guys house about a mile away. I thought, fuck carrying that big box of records I'll take this record player instead  no Worst decision ever.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »

Do you know anything about stanton and or numark turntables?  I noticed guitar center has a bunch of those. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:33:14 PM by JuicySwoos » Logged

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Olorin
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »

Stanton have always made stylus, they are famous and long running brand for that, one of the very best. They branched out into the cheaper turntable market when bedroom djing became mega popular in the late 90's. I wounldnt bother with their turntables though, they havnt been in that side of things for long enough and are not a renowed electronic manufacturer. Its more like they sponsered a turntable with their famous name imo.
Numark traditionally made mixing equipment, very good brand, one of the best. The also started making turntables and cd turntables late in the game, but are traditionally a company that produces high quality electronic equipment, if you bought a numark mixer you knew no matter what price range it was in, it was quality.  I seem to remember there turntables getting good reviews when launched as well.
If I had to choose between Stanton and Numark, it would be Numark without a doubt.  Though it would be cold day in hell before I even considered buying a Numark stylus over a Stanton, if you get me, because thats Stantons market and imo make the best.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 05:07:47 PM by Olorin » Logged
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 05:29:56 PM »

OK. So numark over stanton for the TT. But get a stanton stylus.

Another tid bit.  Belt drive vs direct drive.  Seems like direct drive is geared more toward DJ'ing, with belt drive being more for home audio.  Obviously, a decent direct drive TT will be better than a crappy belt drive TT.  What are you thoughts on this debate?

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Olorin
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 05:51:57 PM »

I think the Numark will come with a Stanton cartrige and stylus anyway, I dont think Numark would even bother to bring out a stylus, that market is governed by a few brands.

Belt drive will be cheaper and for playing records at home are absolutley fine.

The thing is when you are mixing and scratching, you have whats called a slipmatt which you put on the actual turntable wheel, this is just a thin felt mat for sitting the record on. When you scratch you move the record back and forth rapidly, the slipmat moves back and forth with you and the turntable isnt damaged.
Now when you touch a belt drive turntable it will slow down and it will also take a few moments to go back to the speed it was playing. A direct drive will also slow down but it is not as sensitive and will go back to the original speed much much faster. When you are mixing 2 records at once this is a very noticable and important difference. Also belts become slack with the kind of wear and tear bedroom djs put them through and can later in life begin to not hold the same speed as they used to. This is why pro turntables will always be direct drive, you dont get that problem. With the Technics you actually need to apply a little force to the wheel when mixing because its so powerful compared to a belt drive. On the other hand going back to belt drives when used to using Technics is incredibly difficult, you have lost that tender touch needed.

Beltdrives are absolutely fine for a bedroom dj starting out and are much cheaper, if you can learn to be very skillful on those then you will be learning the hard way and be much more talented for it.

For playing records at home for relaxing and listening to, belt drives are all you need..
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 06:48:18 PM »

If I wish to upgrade my stylus and cartridge....are they essentially one size fits all??

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Olorin
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 07:00:40 PM »

If I wish to upgrade my stylus and cartridge....are they essentially one size fits all??

The cartridge is changable on a turntable, and stylus's are made to fit a certain type of cartridge. If you are going for the type of turntable above then most pro cartridges, i.e Stanton or Ortofon would fit the turntable. They just screw off easy peasy.

For the likes of your Sony you have just now, that will be probably restricted to the type Sony used in the first place, but worth googling to see if there are suitable alternitives.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:05:47 PM by Olorin » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 06:58:39 AM »

Who's on their high horse now?

I understand the function and many uses of usb adaptable turntable, I own one myself and its been very useful for putting some rare records onto a more readily accessible format.

Mine doesnt allow playback through, its usb only and I mistook the ones above for converting only, hence being a waste of time for looking for the vinyl experience.

Not at all.

You asked a question.  I gave you an explanation.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 07:04:15 AM »

Feedback is usually caused by electonic equipment being too close, being connected wrongly or  just not being compatible.

Its nothing to do with the how good the turntable is, it sounds like a decent one you have anyway.

What is the turntable connected to and what are the sub woofers connected to?

Does the turntable play without feedback, when the subwoofers are not connected? Can you use the sub woofers without the feedback, playing cds through that source?

I did not notice anything absent the subwoofers.    When I use CD's, it is crystal clear, no feedback or goofy noise, so it is not the woofers.  The woofers are connected via the recievers subwoofer pre-out with decent sheilded subwoofer cables. The TT was connected to the "Tape" input, but I am going to switch to another input this evening to see if that helps.   

Easy test:  They're powered subs, right?  Connected via an RCA cable to an LFE port on your receiver?

Power one sub down, and play the album.  See what you get.

If you still get interference, power the other one down and see if you get interference.

Mix and match to see if it's a specific sub, both, or neither.

At the very least, that will help discern if it's a specific sub causing issues (could be connection, vibration..though I doubt it...or a host of other things) or something else..

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 07:06:50 AM »

I will try that.  One major thing I noticed when looking at other TT's last night.  Mine only weighs 6 pounds, and something like the 1200 weighs 20+ pounds......do you think that has anything to do with my TT picking up on something because it is so light?

Another suggestion:

Buy a "yoga mat" (or 2)...you can find them cheaply enough..cut it to size, and put it under the turn table.  You might need two layers.  I've insulated OTHER "vibration prone" stuff (not turntables, but I assume the principle would be the same) that way.

Together again,
Olorin
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 07:46:27 AM »

The yoga mats are quite a good idea, you can make them quite discreet and not spoil the look.

If the subs work fine playing cds, with none of that noise, I think the subs are set up and working correctly. The turntable works fine without the subs so thats ok.

CD's are read by a laser, strong sudden vibrations might cause it to skip, but constant low vibration wouldnt give out a constant sound.

A record is read by the needle responding to tiny grooves and bumps in the record, as the record revolves this vibrates the needle. This is basically how it works, the stylus reads vibrations.

Resting your subs on a hardwood floor and having a very lightweight turntable will absolutely cause the stylus to pick up the vibrations, and these will be amplified and heard through the speakers. The stylus doesnt even have to be on the record for it to pick up vibrations, and these will be amplified.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:58:12 AM by Olorin » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 09:58:34 AM »

If the subs work fine playing cds, with none of that noise, I think the subs are set up and working correctly. The turntable works fine without the subs so thats ok.

CD's are read by a laser, strong sudden vibrations might cause it to skip, but constant low vibration wouldnt give out a constant sound.

A record is read by the needle responding to tiny grooves and bumps in the record, as the record revolves this vibrates the needle. This is basically how it works, the stylus reads vibrations.

Resting your subs on a hardwood floor and having a very lightweight turntable will absolutely cause the stylus to pick up the vibrations, and these will be amplified and heard through the speakers. The stylus doesnt even have to be on the record for it to pick up vibrations, and these will be amplified.

Absolutely.  I hadn't gotten through the rest of the conversation when I posted that first suggestion.  If the subs are working fine with CD's, and you're in the environment described, the above conclusion is likely spot on.

The yoga mats work well because a) they're good at absorbing the vibrations with a relatively small "footprint" and b) they can be had in a variety of colors, etc (including black and navy) so they can be used where aesthetics comes into play.  Styrofoam (well, polystyrene foam sheets) works a bit better (again, I'm not talking turntables..but other equipment) at "subduing" the vibrations, but generally looks like crap and they aren't very durable (they can flake, over time, which is annoying).  The yoga mats have "done the job" well enough when I've used them in the past.  I don't know, exactly, how much vibration you're generating, but unless you're rattling fillings, I think the yoga mats will probably work quite well.

Together again,
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 01:16:22 PM »

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions guys.  I went to guitar center today and checked out some turntables.  Of course they had the heralded Technics 1200, man that thing is a tank.  The best part of be going there was they had the rap music blasting in the turntable section, which allowed me to kind of "feel" the vibration if you will.  I put my hand on some of the cheaper TT's that had plastic bases (much like my now returned Sony) and you could feel the vibration on the TT.  Then I put my hand on the Technics 1200, a nicer Stanton, and a nicer Numark, and you could not even feel a thing because the bases are not flimsy plastic.  There was a Stanton there marked down from $500 to $250 that was very tankish like the 1200 that intrigued me.

I really think getting a yoga pad along with a TT that is made to withstand vibration should work perfectly.

I know there are some nice TT's made for home use like the Rega P1 and Project Debut III that can be had for a decent price and are considered more "audiophilish", but I can't help to think I will run into the same issues with one of those models.   I think I need a tank like the 1200. 

I also went to some thrift stores today in hopes someone "donated" an older 1200, but no such luck....I did pick up a Van Halen LP is perfect condition for a buck though!

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Olorin
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 04:04:51 PM »

I had a look at those, I wouldnt recommend them, there is no proper feet which act as suspension. The tone bar looks too rigidly attached to the base, no good for vibrations.

I reckon you would be best going for something more aimed at a dj, as these will have been designed to take vibrations into consideration, like the numark or the stanton. Have a look around dj equipment sites and they will have a whole range of turntables.

You could look around online for a 2nd hand pro turntables like Technics or Vestax. Look in community portals for your region where people sell and buy things, ebay and ad newspapers, you know those ones just for people to sell things.

Honestly, the amount of people who get dj equipment on a whim, then lose interest and sell barely used equipment on, its unbelievable.

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2008, 04:50:29 PM »

I had a look at those, I wouldnt recommend them, there is no proper feet which act as suspension. The tone bar looks too rigidly attached to the base, no good for vibrations.

I reckon you would be best going for something more aimed at a dj, as these will have been designed to take vibrations into consideration, like the numark or the stanton. Have a look around dj equipment sites and they will have a whole range of turntables.

You could look around online for a 2nd hand pro turntables like Technics or Vestax. Look in community portals for your region where people sell and buy things, ebay and ad newspapers, you know those ones just for people to sell things.

Honestly, the amount of people who get dj equipment on a whim, then lose interest and sell barely used equipment on, its unbelievable.

You're talking about the Rega and the Project right? 

I have been looking at craigslist, ebay etc. There are a couple 1200s available for around $200 in my area, which much cheaper than new($450).  I am hesitant about ebay, because if they don't ship it correctly it could arrive in crappy shape.   

I haven't looked into Vestax, I will check those out tonight.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »