Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:30:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228556 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy - Metacritic Score
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy - Metacritic Score  (Read 4383 times)
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« on: November 21, 2008, 05:32:43 PM »

Thought it would be a good idea to have a thread on how CD is getting on over at www.metacritic.com

For anyone who isn't aware, it is a website that compiles and scores reviews (out of 100) from different sources (rollingstone, newspapers etc.) and gives an average for the album. It is a good way to fairly get a true idea on how the album is being received.

It also has links to the reviews from the different publications, so it's pretty cool to have them all in one place.

Chinese Democracy is currently at 67 out of 100 (based on 22 reviews) as of 2nd December 2008.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/gunsnroses/chinesedemocracy
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:33:06 AM by Jimmy? » Logged
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »

All the main review sites have stated it is a great album.  No album could live up to the hype.  However I would say that it will depend on sales to see how succesful this album truly is.  GnR has never done well on the Radio except for AFD. 

Also I think world wide sales are what needs to be looked at.  The U.S. seems to be more about what is hot now and considering Highschool musical and Hanna Montanna are at the top really speaks volumes to what is driving the music industry right now and it has nothing to do with music.
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 06:42:22 PM »

All the main review sites have stated it is a great album.  No album could live up to the hype.  However I would say that it will depend on sales to see how succesful this album truly is.  GnR has never done well on the Radio except for AFD. 

Where I grew up, the first 5 UYI singles (as well as Patience) were all over the radio.
Bucketofguns
Rocker

Proud down loading motherfucker

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »

I agree that worldwide sales need to be looked at, but what to compare it to.  AC/DC has been number 1 for weeks, and Mettalica also was number 1 worldwide for a few weeks.  I don't see CD having the same type of staying power.

makane
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »

Also I think world wide sales are what needs to be looked at.  The U.S. seems to be more about what is hot now and considering Highschool musical and Hanna Montanna are at the top really speaks volumes to what is driving the music industry right now and it has nothing to do with music.

Since when have sales determined album quality? I honestly dont give a damn if it sells a trillion copies. It's all about the content.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Jimmy?
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 06:53:50 PM »

An album is only as good as you "personally" think it is, technically other peoples opinions mean fuck all.
makane
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 06:56:32 PM »

I agree that worldwide sales need to be looked at, but what to compare it to.  AC/DC has been number 1 for weeks, and Mettalica also was number 1 worldwide for a few weeks.  I don't see CD having the same type of staying power.

AC/DC and Metallica just sold by the name. The albums were actually huge letdowns.

If CD somehow sells less than Metallica, it doesnt mean its worse  Angry
 beer rant

The rating is quite low now, but there is only 8 reviews, so remember half of these reviews are "haters" who give 10-50 points. Lets see what the rating is at ~50 reviews.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:59:23 PM by makane » Logged

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 07:03:18 PM »

All I ever care about is that any band I like sells enough copies of their current album for their label to consider it worth releasing their next album. Beyond that, I could care less what it sells or where it charts. It's no sure indicator of quality either way.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 07:03:32 PM »

AC/DC and Metallica just sold by the name. The albums were actually huge letdowns.

If CD somehow sells less than Metallica, it doesnt mean its worse  Angry
 beer rant

The rating is quite low now, but there is only 8 reviews, so remember half of these reviews are "haters" who give 10-50 points. Lets see what the rating is at ~50 reviews.

I don't think the rating is "quite low" if you go by the Metacritic standards.  I don't think that is accurate.  Plus, they included one review that wasn't even a review and many of the reviews haven't been added to that list.

Ali
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:20:31 PM »

I disagree, I quite enjoy the new AC/DC.

If CD somehow sells less than Metallica, it doesnt mean its worse  Angry
 beer rant

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
neon2002
Rocker

What the hell is a hab?

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:36:42 PM »

I've seen probably 100 reviews for CD and most of them were very good - but they only have 8 posted? Where are the rest?
 Huh

"This Melody Inside Of Me Still Searches For Solution"
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 10:39:56 PM »

Where I grew up, the first 5 UYI singles (as well as Patience) were all over the radio.

Same here.

And there goes the challenger...
Jimmy?
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 04:03:18 AM »

I've seen probably 100 reviews for CD and most of them were very good - but they only have 8 posted? Where are the rest?
 Huh

They'll update soon i'd imagine!
mrarkadin
Headliner

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »

Some of the best reviews haven't been posted yet like LA Times. Neither has NY Times. At metacritic anything about 75 is pretty good and over 80 is excellent. Not that any of this matters in any tangible way. Sales will be more important in allowing Axl to do a lot of interesting things.
TWT
Rocker

GNR's next lead guitarist

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 09:06:25 AM »

It started out at 60, so it's creeping up. It's a shame they see fit to include that infamous Observer Music Monthly 'review'. That quote they've used from it is basically the entire review!
stan1ey
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 12:04:33 PM »

They also included a blog review from one of the publications (this isn't the final review).  Wonder if they will update it? confused
Is he struggling?
Rocker

Why are you reading this?

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »

It started out at 60, so it's creeping up. It's a shame they see fit to include that infamous Observer Music Monthly 'review'. That quote they've used from it is basically the entire review!

That OMM review was for the Single, not the Album, so it shouldn't be included on Metacritic.

It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly!:

www.reverbnation.com/papersun
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 01:58:25 PM »

This should be discarded and shouldn't even be talked about.

If u look at the reviews, 2 of the bad ones weren't even about the album. They were obviously personal vendettas for whatever reason by stupid fucking biased reviewers cause they didn't even mention the album.

If u take the REAL reviews, they'd be in the mid 70's at the lowest.

I can handle bad reviews as long as the reviewer , u can tell actually listened to the album and are basing it on that.

not the old band, the time, the money, the reputation or what have u.

The bad reviews here were written 10 years ago so they don't count.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jimmy?
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 04:31:29 PM »

So i just checked metacritic again and Guns are 68 out of 100 from 20 reviews. So not alot of movement.
western_chaos
Rocker

The Adrenaline Runs Through My Veins.

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »

So i just checked metacritic again and Guns are 68 out of 100 from 20 reviews. So not alot of movement.

Some reviewers will rate it low just because it's axl rose and there is no slash in the band, etc...

Reviewers are biased...

My New Social Network Is Here:

http://writersparadise.ning.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: