Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:29:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Better - The Song Discussion
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Better - The Song Discussion  (Read 12607 times)
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2008, 03:33:30 AM »

I posted this as just a discussion on gnrsource..... figured as it maybe fun to at least speculate here also......

Just a wild idea , and a thought, probably more geared to US, and maybe just something I think would be completely cool. But on NYE, there are many broadcasts that run simultaneously. If Axl wanted to make a splash, and statement, how cool would it be if during any, like MTV,s of perhaps all the stations having countdown parties aired, to have a world premier video for. "BETTER". Probably grasping at straws, but it could be sponsored by Bestbuy, along with DVD of the making. etc.. GNR fans want CD to succeed, and in a big way. I would be lying if i said otherwise. I accept however the band decides to do things, so long as I get to see the band again and finally say I saw my 20th GNR show. The album itself to me is a winner, and if people don't get to experience it that sucks ...and sorry for them. But I think that would the idea fall under monumental .  beer peace

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2008, 04:15:34 AM »

yeh that sounds like a great idea,
but so has alot of other times when they could of dropped a music video and didnt,

fingers are crossed though peace

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »

Better is #19 on Rollingstone's 'Singles of the year' list!  peace

It's getting some recognition at least...

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/24947047/singles_of_the_year/26

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2008, 07:28:18 PM »

Better is #19 on Rollingstone's 'Singles of the year' list!  peace

It's getting some recognition at least...

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/24947047/singles_of_the_year/26

Could be worse I guess.
Although I think that list is complete garbage.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 07:41:46 PM »

Does that makes it the best hard rock song of the year?

No sign of Metallica or AC/DC before GN'R on that list....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2008, 07:44:13 PM »

/jarmo

AC/DC - 'Big Boi' is #53

But yeah, 'Better' would be the highest ranked Hard Rock song.

EDIT: Just saw that you wrote 'before GN'R'  ok

Sweetness is a virtue
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2008, 07:47:09 PM »

/jarmo
Isn't that list just best singles.

You could have that rank high on the singles list , but have something else above it on the song list.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2008, 07:49:40 PM »

/jarmo
Isn't that list just best singles.

You could have that rank high on the singles list , but have something else above it on the song list.

But then again, GN'R would have something above that again...  hihi

Sweetness is a virtue
reed2009
Headliner

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2008, 07:59:50 PM »

very good seeing gnr in top 20 singles and a short lived one.....im thinking next year at least 3 singles in top 100 for 2009! street of dreams, this i love and madagascar

scraped
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 08:04:04 PM »

/jarmo

AC/DC - 'Big Boi' is #53

But yeah, 'Better' would be the highest ranked Hard Rock song.

EDIT: Just saw that you wrote 'before GN'R'  ok

thats pretty fucking cool,
even if there is no music video for it, thats awsome

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2008, 08:58:55 PM »

This is the best song Guns N' Roses has ever recorded in my opinion. This has everything you come to GN'R for; catchy melody, incredible vocals, great lyrics, awesome groove & guitar work. The drumming near the end of the song is what I was hoping for based on the live versions from late 06 and 07. A masterpiece.
5/5

I'm afraid this is the truest post ever. There's no escaping it, as good as the rest of Chinese Democracy is, Better is simply the best Guns N' Roses song ever. It's so good I'm almost afraid to listen to it too often, but no matter how often I listen to it it's as fresh and mindblowing as the first time I heard it. It has breathtaking lyrics and a fantastic melody, awesome guitar work and drums. I'm at a loss for words, really. I think that when I rank the best Chinese Democracy songs, I'll have to exclude Better, it's in a category of it's own. Too good to be compared to any song. I relate to this song in a number of ways. Thanks Axl for this materpiece.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2009, 02:27:12 AM »

Couldn't see that this had been mentioned....

I just finished Mick Wall's W. Axl Rose: Unauthorized Biography, which  was as expected mostly crap! But since I got it for Christmas from my sister, I felt I "had to" read it...   Smiley

Don't know if many of you have actually read the book, but...

Towards the end, he sorta gives his opinion on the leaks.
Regarding Better, he kinda interpret the song to be about Axl's long-time assistant Beta Leibes (wich is pronounced "Betta" not "Beta").

Hearing the song again with that in mind, I couldn't help but find that interpretation a tad interesting....   Undecided

Also considering, it's been written several places that Axl ranks Better as one of his favourites, something that has puzzled me. I've allways thought one of the more epic tracks would be his favourite....

What do you guys think?   Smiley

Stavanger-rock-city!!
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2009, 03:45:07 PM »

^ He actually just copied the reviews of the 2007 leaks that was in the clossic rock article (the one celebrating the 20th anniversary of AFD), as he writes for that magazine

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2009, 06:08:47 PM »

Weren't many fans guessing that when axl named the song at the korn party?

Possible. The lyrics do sound to me like one's sentiment for their family. Besides there was a suggestive post in one of the cd song elimination threads and i was almost replying like 'your mum!'. but I didn't Tongue

Incidentally, betta (ie Siamese fighting fish/ that windows 7 fish) is extremely aggressive and delicate.
Annie
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2009, 04:48:38 PM »

Weren't many fans guessing that when axl named the song at the korn party?

Possible. The lyrics do sound to me like one's sentiment for their family. Besides there was a suggestive post in one of the cd song elimination threads and i was almost replying like 'your mum!'. but I didn't Tongue

Incidentally, betta (ie Siamese fighting fish/ that windows 7 fish) is extremely aggressive and delicate.

I once had a little Betta fish that I named Axl. I really loved him. He was so feisty, he would love to bite my finger when I fed him. It broke my heart when he died. I had a little funeral for him, and I played GNR music. I still decorate his grave with roses. AND BETTER is a truly great song right up there with WTTJ.
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »

I think Better is a good song. It is not one of the best songs on CD. My view on this is the introduction when Axl sings: "No one ever told me" should of been left alone instead of putting it through the effect that (and this is no way a put down to Mr. Rose.) makes it sound like the effect that Britney Spears and Hip-Hop artists use. (That telephone effect). It's a great song but that intro and when it repeats again is robbing the songs authenticity. Even though it makes the song sound modern now it will sound dated ten years from now. I'm sure Axl probably didn't want it this way. I think I'll blame the producer for suggesting the idea.  Wink
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2009, 12:34:41 PM »

I like the intro. and I think telephone effect can be heard even on 70s albums.

I love every bit but the highlight is from 2:31 to 3:29 esp the bronze bell ish sound at 2:37,:42 and :47 mark.  love

I once had a little Betta fish that I named Axl. I really loved him. He was so feisty, he would love to bite my finger when I fed him. It broke my heart when he died. I had a little funeral for him, and I played GNR music. I still decorate his grave with roses. AND BETTER is a truly great song right up there with WTTJ.
rip to betta axl.
betta even attacks their own reflection on the aquarium wall sometimes. and any disturbance can spoil their appetite. so cute.
Annie
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2009, 04:12:44 PM »

I like the intro. and I think telephone effect can be heard even on 70s albums.

I love every bit but the highlight is from 2:31 to 3:29 esp the bronze bell ish sound at 2:37,:42 and :47 mark.  love

rip to betta axl.
betta even attacks their own reflection on the aquarium wall sometimes. and any disturbance can spoil their appetite. so cute.
Thanks. I still miss him.
rckn
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2012, 02:38:40 PM »

After the times, what do you think about it? I still see it as glamourous, piece of art, ferrarilike song.
Works live fine and matches the old catalogue. Thoughts?
Estranged85
Rocker

Why must it drift away and die?

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2012, 03:06:10 PM »

It's probably my favorite song of CD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: