Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:48:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Prostitute
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prostitute  (Read 70226 times)
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2008, 01:52:35 PM »

This song is one my least favs. I usually hit the skip button and go right back to CD. The song just does nothing for me and is one of weakest, in my HO.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
TVC15
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2008, 02:49:57 PM »

This song is one my least favs. I usually hit the skip button and go right back to CD. The song just does nothing for me and is one of weakest, in my HO.

Grin

You're kidding, right?

This is one of the greatest G N' R tracks ever (!!!).
Hanoi_Guy
Headliner

Until The Bitter End..

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2008, 04:46:25 PM »

Seriously,

this is the only song ever, that just simply keeps getting better and better and better with more listenings..
I don't know what there is but...something is just there..
and the outro is perfect, its's like a movie saying "stay tuned for the sequal.."

- Hanoi Guy-
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 04:58:07 PM by Hanoi_Guy » Logged

"Aina on ollut kaaos, kun olemme olleet yhdess? m?kill?. Kun tulin, Matti(Nyk?nen) heilui siell? t??ll? ja Merkka(Tapola) ei pysynyt pystyss?. V?lill? Matti oli p??ll??n kukkapuskassa, Hujanen kertoi"
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »

Grin

You're kidding, right?

Indeed, and probably one of the best album closers ever.
TVC15
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2008, 05:08:15 PM »

Grin

You're kidding, right?

Indeed, and probably one of the best album closers ever.

Right on.

peace
lanceman16
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2008, 10:55:49 PM »

I am pretty shocked at some of the thoughts put forth by some of the commenters.  To me it's clear what this song is about or addressed to: the fans of G n' R.

"Seems like forever and a day" - Axl's referencing his period away.
"If my intentions are misunderstood, Please be kind, I?ve done all I should" - Axl refering to everyone asking why CD is taking so long.  He is responding by saying that, as an artist, he had to complete something that he felt was a worthy accomplishment.  Note, this line makes it clear to me that he is saying he knows he was right in taking the amount of time.  A true artist should focus on their vision of their art.
"What would you say If I told you that I?m to blame And what would you do If I had to deny your name Where would you go if I told you I love you And then walked away" Telling the fans that he had to walk away to do what he considered to be a strong piece of art.  Indicating that he would miss the fans, but needs to walk away.

So on and so forth.  Not going to requote the whole song but it's clear that Axl is saying that he needed to walk away and focus on his art - regardless of the price.  Ballsy.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2008, 12:43:56 AM »

So on and so forth.  Not going to requote the whole song but it's clear that Axl is saying that he needed to walk away and focus on his art - regardless of the price.  Ballsy.

Probably not... the song was rumoured to be on the album from the beginning... before the 6 or 7 years of waiting.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2008, 01:50:46 AM »

Heard the song being played in a store on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles earlier today....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2008, 04:18:40 AM »

I am pretty shocked at some of the thoughts put forth by some of the commenters.  To me it's clear what this song is about or addressed to: the fans of G n' R.

"If my intentions are misunderstood, Please be kind, I?ve done all I should" - Axl refering to everyone asking why CD is taking so long.  He is responding by saying that, as an artist, he had to complete something that he felt was a worthy accomplishment.  Note, this line makes it clear to me that he is saying he knows he was right in taking the amount of time.  A true artist should focus on their vision of their art.
"What would you say If I told you that I?m to blame And what would you do If I had to deny your name Where would you go if I told you I love you And then walked away" Telling the fans that he had to walk away to do what he considered to be a strong piece of art.  Indicating that he would miss the fans, but needs to walk away.

That's an interesting perspective. I guess it's open for interpretation. What about "I saw the damage in you"? That's sort of an intimate line. Not sure how it could be applied to a large group of people.

Heard the song being played in a store on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles earlier today....
/jarmo

Melrose Avenue? That's awesome.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2008, 04:23:31 AM »

The outro on this song is just incredible to me, for some reason. Really resonates hard with me. Plus it can't help but invoke that feeling of "Here you are. You Just listened to Chinese Democracy. This is it", among many other things.

My thoughts exactly.

I do however go a bit further and say...everytime I hear the outro I see Axl with a smile on his face. Something like after all the bullshit, doubts, critics, struggles he got rid of all his deamons and let it all out.

Prostitute is like the final credits track of the movie Chinese Democracy. I see the album as a rollercoaster story that leaves with you the best feeling in the final moments of prostitute.

Doesn't it happen to you that when you hear the album from start to finish you end up with a very possitive feeling? to me everytime I hear Prostitute I feel a little more relieved. My own troubles and problems seem like they are not there anymore.

This is one of the most powerful songs ever written. 
TVC15
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2008, 10:21:53 AM »

/jarmo

Nice! What brings you to Los Angeles? Do you know something we don't?

Grin

I live minutes from Los Angeles. We should meet up for a few beers.

Cool
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2008, 12:49:11 PM »

Nice! What brings you to Los Angeles?

Look outside!

It's November and I'm not wearing my usual winter clothing.....

Cool

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TVC15
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2008, 12:59:14 PM »

Look outside!

Cool

/jarmo

Yes...a beautiful blue sky at the ass-end of November...a rarity indeed.

Cool

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2008, 01:04:09 PM »

its only a 4 hour drive to Vegas jarmo Cheesy

Thats awesome they were playing prostitute in a store.   Its still my favorite track on the album.
lanceman16
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2008, 02:13:39 PM »

That's an interesting perspective. I guess it's open for interpretation. What about "I saw the damage in you"? That's sort of an intimate line. Not sure how it could be applied to a large group of people.

/jarmo

Melrose Avenue? That's awesome.

Well, that line does pop out to me.  I'm going to be in the minority on this board but I think this is in reference to what the gnr band was at the time that they disbanded.  I've always felt that UYI albums didn't come out exactly as Axl had envisioned.  I always felt that Axl wanted to create the "Great American Record" that would be all things to all people.  That's why there was such a mix of ballads, mid-tempo, and rockers.  While UYI were tremendous albums, I've always felt that Axl expected something more grand.  I think he wanted UYI's to be the standard by which all other music was measured.  I feel this way because a couple of interviews he took part in.  One he indicated "I want to blow AFD out of the water".  Well, that's a pretty tough standard.  Another was in reference to NR.  He indicated that if the song wasn't recorded exactly how he envisioned, he'd leave the business.  It's a great and classic song but maybe Axl expected it to be greater.  With that being said, I do think this quote is indicating that he didn't think gnr, in it's former state, could complete what he envisioned as the "Great American Record". 

In terms of the question relating to when Axl wrote the song...say it was written 6 years ago, that would bring us to 2002.  The band was essentially MIA since 1991 (I understand that SI was recorded during UYI sessions).  In other words, he had already been absent for 11 years and at that point in time, CD was nowhere in sight.

Just my personal opinion but I do think really think it's about Axl wanting to fulfill his ambitions to step away in an effort to create the great american record.
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2008, 03:42:28 PM »

does anyone else thinks that it is a bit on too fast tempo like someone put it on 45rpm instead of 33,3rpm, like somoene rushed to close the album ?  Cheesy

anyway, it is a great song for the great closing of the great album  ok

lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »

Love this fucking song... LOVE IT!!!

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2008, 08:06:38 PM »

I'm going to have to give PROSTITUTE another day in court..Funny some are saying it's a great song to close an album..I was just comparing it to other closers, Rocket Queen and Coma..Would it be fair to consider You Could Be Mine the closer fr UYI II w/ Don't Cry (alt. lyrics) and My World as bonus tracks?
So where does PROSTITUTE rank w/ these closing songs?
commissioner
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2008, 09:43:02 AM »

Look outside!

Cool

/jarmo

LA Rocks!  I miss living there! Wish I were Jarmo's Luggage hihi
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2008, 10:41:50 AM »

I respect this perspective, but in the same sense I think GNR fans sort of overanalyze lyrics. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think Axl's just singing about girls or relationships in his life in general, not about this album. It's really cool how you interpret that way though.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: