Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:42:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The only Catcher In The Rye thread you need!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The only Catcher In The Rye thread you need!  (Read 40040 times)
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 10:20:47 AM »

I have to say I love the album, but at the same time I am a bit disapointed and this song is one of the main reasons I am.

To me it just seems too busy, almost like they tried to crowbar in as much content into each song as possible. I've always been a fan of less is better, so at times there is so much going on in some of these songs that at points I feel like there is just a wall of noise behind Axl's vocal.

I feel like I need to appologize for thinking this, because overall I love the album, but do we really need to jam every person who worked on this album into each song. I was laughing when my father made the comment over my house last night that "Les Paul is probably regretting ever inventing multi track recording after hearing this cd"... while it was a joke, he has a point I would love to see how many tracks some of these songs break out to...
2 drums
6+ guitars
2 bass lines
keyboard/synth too many to count
vocals??

I just feel after listening that there were probably a few too many years of over tweaking and over producing.

But for an over produced/over tweaked album... it is probably album of the year... I would just love to see CD re-visited several years down the line like the Beatles 'Let it Be' with the 'Let it Be Naked' album.
hooliganscomics
Banned
Headliner

Kool Aid free since '93

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 10:27:09 AM »

Two words. Fuckin Amazing.  smoking

I'm with you. I love this song. If you listened to the leaks shame on you.Demos are demos for a reason. How can you not love this song.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:31:01 AM by hooliganscomics » Logged

If you don't like what I have to say stop reading my posts.
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 10:40:16 AM »

I think once I listen to it a few more times I will love it again, but the additional guitar work AS OF THIS MOMENT isn't doing it for me.  Overall the structure is the same and the lyrics are BEAUTIFUL and so is the piano and Pitman makes good use of his programs.
I felt that way at first. I certainly miss Brian May's work, but once you get used to it, the new guitars are pretty cool. I do feel that Finck went into the fast section of his solo a bit prematurely though.

I went back to listen to the old leak, and I found myself missing a lot of the little things that the album mix brings to the table.

Yeah I definitely want Brian's solo back on there, though Ron didn't do a bad job himself. One thing I really don't like is that they kind of mellowed down the keyboard work right before the first, "nah nah naaah nah nah nah nahhhhh"s. I really liked that little melody. It's still there, but it sounds very watered down.
TWT
Rocker

GNR's next lead guitarist

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 10:45:09 AM »

One thing I really don't like is that they kind of mellowed down the keyboard work right before the first, "nah nah naaah nah nah nah nahhhhh"s. I really liked that little melody. It's still there, but it sounds very watered down.

Yep, that used to be a great little breakdown, now it does nothing for me.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 03:23:29 PM »

One thing I really don't like is that they kind of mellowed down the keyboard work right before the first, "nah nah naaah nah nah nah nahhhhh"s. I really liked that little melody. It's still there, but it sounds very watered down.

Yep, that used to be a great little breakdown, now it does nothing for me.

I wouldn't say it does nothing but I liked it better before.  Also, I'll say it one more time:  should have left the Brian May solo in.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 03:35:08 PM »

i thought the demo was easily the best of the leaks. i'm afraid i'm not gonna like this song as much. guess i'll see sunday. (yes i'm holding out till sunday)

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
overmatik
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »

i thought the demo was easily the best of the leaks. i'm afraid i'm not gonna like this song as much. guess i'll see sunday. (yes i'm holding out till sunday)

Don't worry man, as I said, the song is still amazing, one of the best in the album. There were some changes, good or bad, the song is still fuckin' brilliant, and think about it how will sound live?! drool
SirTed
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »

Now that some actually have the album, is Brian May credited anywhere in the liner notes for this song.

Related question: Are there lyrics included with the album?
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 03:55:06 PM »

Yes to the lyrics, no to Brian.

And there goes the challenger...
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 04:04:14 PM »

right now i'm very ambivalent about this version. still it would be unfair to judge it now. maybe i only have to get used to it. first impression was that axl's vocals seem to be burried under all those sounds and guitars. the tender melodies can hardly "breath",  for there's so much goin on.... but as i said, we will see. it's a general problem that we "downloading motherfuckers" have heard the leaks so often, that we might have expected the same arrangements, just better sounding. that is not the case here. but: whenever a piece of art and a human head crash together, it's not always the art that sounds hollow...  Wink
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:22:27 PM by happy (the poster formerly known as whiny) » Logged

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
TWT
Rocker

GNR's next lead guitarist

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »

it's a general problem that we "downloading motherfuckers" have heard the leaks so often, that we might have expected the same arrangements, just better sounding.

That would have been perfect  ok

What should have been CD's centrepiece has been rendered an unpleasant and tragic mess. It's not a case of getting used to it. We shouldn't need to, the demo is infinitely better, it was an unfortunate decision to take it in this direction.
St_Jimmyuk
VIP

Im Right next door to hell...

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »

man, what can i say.
If this song was just an instrumental i would not have recognised it from what we heard all those years ago i mean jesus what a change, but its not bad not bad at all i think this will be up there in my fav tracks

- They call me Lenny...... But that's not my name, that's not my name.
uzisuicide2002
VIP

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!?!?!?!

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »

I love it! this is my 2nd fav on the album right now. WAY better then the demo.  5/5 beer
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:33:45 PM by uzisuicide2002 » Logged

GN'R Boston 02
GN'R NYC 06
GN'R Mass 06
GN'R NJ 11
VR Mass 05
GN'R Foxboro 16
GN'R Boston 17
VR Mass 07
Slash Boston 10
Steven Adler NYC 11
Slash Foxwoods 14
Slash Providence 15
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 05:55:26 PM »

I am simply blown away by this song!  For fuck's sake I'm writing this as I'm hearing it for the first time.  Unbelievable.

I have not listened to the leak for well over a year now, maybe longer.

The solo just past the 2 minute mark is incredible.  The one midway through the 4th minute sends this song into legendary status.  Axl's vocals have so much feel to them I'm actually shocked.  He never sounded this good (IMO).

So Beatle-esque.

Axl said somewhere way back when, or somebody else did, that this song would not be on the first cd but thankfully he changed his mind.  Perhaps this song being leaked led to its inclusion on CD.

This could be a huge radio hit.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
neon2002
Rocker

What the hell is a hab?

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »

Honestly I think this one was better before. It seems over produced now. To much going on. The leaked demo was better IMO. Hopefully it will grow on me...

"This Melody Inside Of Me Still Searches For Solution"
neon2002
Rocker

What the hell is a hab?

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »

think the problem some people are having with this song, is that this is one of the songs that changed the most since the leak we had. And people have habits and dont like to be surprised lol. I think this final version is an all time great! Still is one of my favourites, and relax people, we will probably hear a polished version with brian May as a bside or something

Maybe they'll do what they did with "You're Crazy"? On AFD it was the pumped up rocker version and then on Lies it was the striped down Original mellow version.

So maybe on the next album  (hihi whenever that may be) they'll give us a stripped down Brian May version.

The song isn't bad now I just think it was better and less busy before. But like I said I'm sure it will grow on me.

beer

"This Melody Inside Of Me Still Searches For Solution"
torzt
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »

This is awesome, I thought the leak was good but this is just so much better, its ..... a fantastic track!

Im fucking innocent!!!!!!!!!!!!
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »

I love the song,

but yes, I do miss Brians solo, that solo for catcher, to say that it fitted it perfectly would be an understatement,

but I love this version nonetheless, just wish Brian was still on it.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 11:50:34 PM »

I know that sometimes it's hard to accept changes to a song once you're used to one version.... and there are definitely A LOT of things I preferred about the original leaked demo... but if the song is as good as this one, it still rates as a classic.  One of the things I was looking forward to the most about this CD, GREAT!
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 12:10:59 AM »

CITR has easily been my favorite song of GN'R 2.0 since I first heard it.  Had it not been included on CD I would've been sorely disappointed.

I was extremely happy to see it when I first saw the track listing on Best Buy's website.  If I hated every other song on the album, I would've still bought it for CITR.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: