Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:30:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  First song your going to listen to when you buy the Album
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: First song your going to listen to when you buy the Album  (Read 6662 times)
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2008, 09:37:15 PM »

Then flip the vinyl over and finish with Prostitute.

I think it's two LPs....  Wink

/jarmo

Ooooh, thats right....Thanks for the heads up....I'll have the wifey put the second one on for me.

And speaking of LP.....Chin Dem is working its magic as AFD vinyl is moving up the best seller list on the Best Buy website.  As Mr Pitman says, you gotta listen to it on Vinyl!!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:47:07 PM by JuicySwoos » Logged

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
CoBrA2168
Headliner

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »

Here is my projected order:

1. Scraped
2. Riad
3. This I Love
4. Madagascar
5. Sorry
6. Catcher
7. If The World
8. Prostitute
9. I.R.S.
10. There Was A Time
11. Shackler's Revenge
12. Street Of Dreams
13. Chinese Democracy
14. Better

I'm so excited to hear the final version of Riad you don't even know!!
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2008, 10:34:59 PM »

HAHA... Axl spends 15 years working on this masterpiece... including on settling on the perfect song order (God knows how long THAT took).... and people are skipping automatically to track 9 or whatever??!? hihihihi To each their own I guess!

Not me. "Chinese Democracy" straight through to "Prostitute". And probably 5 times in a row (and I haven't even heard "Scraped", "Sorry" or "This I Love")... beer drool peace

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Axl Z
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 12:13:34 PM »

Tempting as it will be to skip the first three tracks as I've heard them now, i'm going to have to listen to it all in order..
I've waited too long not to really!

Also, The more I hear on the radio the more this feels like Use Your Illusion III to me,
Chinese Democracy has the same hallmark lyrics like Civil War,  a protest song.
Shacklers Revenge remind me of Perfect Crimes speed and musical changes while Better, after hearing it on the radio last night reminded me of Don't Damn Me for some reason. some reviews have said that other track sounded like Estranged and November Rain.
In the end, I'm hoping this is gonna be the Sonic-Boom to the eardrums I've personally built it up to be!!

2002 - Docklands Arena, London
2006 - Hammersmith Apollo, London
2006 - Wembley Arena, London
2010 - O2 Arena, London
2017 - Olympic Park, London
Thinizzy
Headliner

"I'm everywhere Focker"- Robert DeNiro

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 12:15:50 PM »

Considering how long we have waited for this album, im going to listen to starting from track 1.  a few extra mins wont hurt .

"Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, still serve a purpose." -Jim Carrey
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2008, 12:19:15 PM »

For me, its going to be Sorry. That, along with This I Love, Scraped, and Prostitute are the only ones I have not heard yet. Sorry sounds the most intriguing to me. So when I open up the package, Im skipping straight to that one.

Of the ones that I have heard..I wanna hear what the final mix of TWAT is like(my fav "new gnr" song)

Chinese Democracy....because it's the first song on the CD.

The first playthrough once it's in my hot little hands...I'll go start to finish.  Then I'll start skipping around.

I think you'll like Sorry.  I REALLY did....it's right up there for me.  But what struck me most is how well the material comes together as an ALBUM.  I said it somewhere else around here...it just "flows" really well.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:20:51 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »

First two songs I'm going directly for is "Sorry" which is amazing.  Very underrated song.  And the 2nd will be "This I Love"...I believe this song was originally suppose to be in the Robin Williams movie "What Dreams May Come" but it never happened.  It does sound like it could be in that movie though.  I want to hear Axl's piano badly on a new song and this is the one.  Also amazing.

The finished Catcher in the Rye I'm also going to check out perhaps even before the others...it's one of my favorites...wonder how and what's been changed.

Not that "Sorry" is better than the others...it's just slow, dark, and amazing...just like Bach says it is...

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2008, 12:21:08 PM »

Chinese Democracy and then the rest of the album in chronological order
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »

Tempting as it will be to skip the first three tracks as I've heard them now, i'm going to have to listen to it all in order..

Also, The more I hear on the radio the more this feels like Use Your Illusion III to me,
Shacklers Revenge remind me of Perfect Crimes speed and musical changes while Better, after hearing it on the radio last night reminded me of Don't Damn Me for some reason. some reviews have said that other track sounded like Estranged and November Rain.
In the end, I'm hoping this is gonna be the Sonic-Boom to the eardrums I've personally built it up to be!!

I'm VERY much getting that feeling too- which is great since I prefer the Illusions above all else. It also shows that Axl really took on the challenge of continuing GN'R and the development of the GN'R sound from where it was in the early 90's IMHO. He didn't just say- "Ok- I own the name- I'm going to do whatever the hell I want." as many haters like to believe. Chinese Democracy will be right at home in our cd racks behind the rest of the GN'R catalog IMHO. That's an historic achievement.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2008, 12:23:02 PM »

Not that "Sorry" is better than the others...it's just slow, dark, and amazing...just like Bach says it is...

It sure is.  I wonder who he's talking to in that song.  I have some ideas, but the song predates at least ONE of them (Weiland).  Axl's pretty fucking brutal in it, but in a more understated way.  Sort of the polar opposite of "Get in the Ring", but just as biting...ya know?

Together again,
Axl Z
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2008, 12:25:11 PM »

I'm VERY much getting that feeling too- which is great since I prefer the Illusions above all else. It also shows that Axl really took on the challenge of continuing GN'R and the development of the GN'R sound from where it was in the early 90's IMHO. He didn't just say- "Ok- I own the name- I'm going to do whatever the hell I want." as many haters like to believe. Chinese Democracy will be right at home in our cd racks behind the rest of the GN'R catalog IMHO. That's an historic achievement.

Yeah, I agree, I re-read my post before clicking the button as it felt a bit like a rant but in all honesty Use Your Illusion II has not left my CD changer since I put it in there around 8 years ago!! so it's totally not a bad thing that it reminds me of it.

I've just thought perhaps 'My World' wasn't such a strange song tagged on the end of II afterall? "guess what I'm doing now?"
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:28:01 PM by Axl Z » Logged

2002 - Docklands Arena, London
2006 - Hammersmith Apollo, London
2006 - Wembley Arena, London
2010 - O2 Arena, London
2017 - Olympic Park, London
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2008, 12:25:36 PM »

..I have heard and not really liked CITR,

You might want to give CITR another try, especially if you're judging it from something you heard awhile back.

It sounds a LOT different, a LOT tighter.  Same basic melody, but much different than you might expect.

Together again,
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2008, 12:29:26 PM »

It sure is.  I wonder who he's talking to in that song.  I have some ideas, but the song predates at least ONE of them (Weiland).  Axl's pretty fucking brutal in it, but in a more understated way.  Sort of the polar opposite of "Get in the Ring", but just as biting...ya know?

I've been trying to think of who it's about too...sometimes I feel it's about the ex-band mates...because some of the lyrics sounds like they'd be directed towards more of a "brother-type" than a love of his life...

I can't really tell for sure although once the album comes out I'm sure I'll listen to it enough times to figure it out better

stinkfist
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2008, 12:30:04 PM »

I'll probably skip the first 2 songs since I heard them over 1000 times now!   Grin  Then go in order
Can't believe I'm actually hoping for a Sunday to come quicker.  
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »

..I have heard and not really liked CITR,

You might want to give CITR another try, especially if you're judging it from something you heard awhile back.

It sounds a LOT different, a LOT tighter.  Same basic melody, but much different than you might expect.

You've heard the album version?  Are those that like the original going to be disappointed?

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2008, 12:32:21 PM »

I've been trying to think of who it's about too...sometimes I feel it's about the ex-band mates...because some of the lyrics sounds like they'd be directed towards more of a "brother-type" than a love of his life...

I can't really tell for sure although once the album comes out I'm sure I'll listen to it enough times to figure it out better

That one's gonna get repeated playings by me, too....

I got the same impression:  Bandmate or someone "out there" in the industry that's done Axl wrong.  Definitely not a "love interest", IMHO.  There's a couple of lines in there...you almost wonder if he's talking about a specific kind of "fan".  I don't know...but it's pretty brutal, like I said.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2008, 12:34:12 PM »

You've heard the album version?  Are those that like the original going to be disappointed?

At the listening party in NYC last night.

Nope, I don't think they'll be disappointed.  It just sounds a lot more "finished" and "polished".  It's got the same basic song structure...but it's punched up a LOT. I liked it, before...but I didn't love it.   I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it....

Together again,
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »

A few friends of mine weren't really into Catcher all that much either when I played it to them...I like it because it was extremely different to anything I've heard by GNR...all while telling me a story with great lyrics which I have assumed to be about Mark David Chapman...

I'm a huge lyrics fan...obviously I also have to like the song as a whole...but the lyrics are one of the most important pieces to me...

And Axl, as always, has done a phenominal job with the lyrics on this whole album...

whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »

A few friends of mine weren't really into Catcher all that much either when I played it to them...I like it because it was extremely different to anything I've heard by GNR...all while telling me a story with great lyrics which I have assumed to be about Mark David Chapman...

I'm a huge lyrics fan...obviously I also have to like the song as a whole...but the lyrics are one of the most important pieces to me...

And Axl, as always, has done a phenominal job with the lyrics on this whole album...

because i heard the whole album yesterday in new york, i think i'll listen to some particular songs first when i get the vinyl on sunday: catcher, shackler, sorry, this i love, scraped, irs. then everything from track 1-14

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2008, 12:56:17 PM »

because i heard the whole album yesterday in new york, i think i'll listen to some particular songs first when i get the vinyl on sunday: catcher, shackler, sorry, this i love, scraped, irs. then everything from track 1-14

I'm picking up a copy of the vinyl essentially for framing (and I'll use the free album download).

But I'm SORELY tempted to pick up a turn table at BB, buy Appetite on Vinyl, and then give BOTH a listen in that format.

Together again,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: