Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 06:49:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy Review Thread  (Read 104369 times)
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #260 on: November 23, 2008, 03:22:25 PM »

God damn, did anyone think W. Axl Rose was actually going to pull this off?

On the contrary, many people think that he did pull it off.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
GeraldFord
« Reply #261 on: November 23, 2008, 03:26:58 PM »

Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles just put up their first of two reviews.  Here it is and I am afraid it is not good:

Yup, it's finally here ... do we care? The jury is still out. Do YOU the reader/listener care? Time will tell and the time is now! Here is the first of two (?) BraveWords.com reviews of GUNS N? ROSES' Chinese Democracy that FINALLY officially streets tomorrow (Sunday, November 23rd). Check out David Perri's take below:

Even just typing out that infamous record title for the purpose of this review is surreal. I mean, did anyone really think that Chinese Democracy would ever surface, let alone in 2008? It takes only one listen to this 14 year, $13 million purported tour-de-force to realize that W. Axl Rose, whether in a fit of delusion of grandeur or as a result of being seemingly a lonely recluse, has tried to create the greatest rock record of all time. He?s quite clearly not succeeded, but Chinese Democracy reeks of bombastic ambition anyway (and sometimes overbearingly so, as is the case in the opening moments of ?Madagascar?, ?There Was A Time? and ?Sorry?): it?s clear Rose aims high. But the main fault here, aside from the inexcusable sin of Slash and Duff not being involved, is that Chinese Democracy sounds dated, which is not surprising given that it's been in production since the Clinton administration?s first term. As well, when Chinese Democracy began its life-span, Rose?s obsession was then-superstar Nine Inch Nails and, though I?m a big fan of NIN, referencing Trent Reznor?s technological work in your own is always an immediate death sentence, as trendy technology has trouble standing the test of time. Chinese Democracy is at its best when Rose and his motley crew of hired guns (Tommy Stinson, you deserve so much better) do what Guns was once known for, namely rocking out with reckless abandon. As such, the top moments on Chinese Democracy are ?Riad N? The Bedouins? and ?Shackler?s Revenge? (despite that lame intro), with the title track/first single also showing potential, but no hook. Chinese Democracy?s undisputed highlight, however, is the brilliant ?Better?, a song that is amongst the best of the GN?R canon and should have acted as the archetype for the rest of Chinese Democracy. Elsewhere, Rose references everyone from the aforementioned Nine Inch Nails to Queen (and how), Pink Floyd, reggae, hip-hop and film soundtracks; ergo, Chinese Democracy feels like the inconsistent decade-old effort that it is, a record that is alternately confused, way too AM radio earnest (?Street Of Dreams?, ?Catcher In The Rye?) and morbidly fascinating, like that terrible highway wreck you just can?t take your eyes off of. After ten-plus years of not giving a shit about Axl Rose I have become curious enough to actually listen to Chinese Democracy, but that?s where it ends for Axl and his warped opus: the second Chinese Democracy is released, it loses all relevance, mystique and influence. The very fact that Chinese Democracy never surfaced is what made it so notorious and coveted, and now that it?s actually here it no longer possesses its vast cache of significance. In order to keep the cult of Chinese Democracy alive Rose should have never released this, and should have instead continued to offer only vague clues about the record via Sebastian Bach in the upcoming years. God damn, did anyone think W. Axl Rose was actually going to pull this off?

5/10

If you don't like the album, fine; but this reviewer is just a retard.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #262 on: November 23, 2008, 03:34:56 PM »

Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles just put up their first of two reviews.  Here it is and I am afraid it is not good:

Yup, it's finally here ... do we care? The jury is still out. Do YOU the reader/listener care? Time will tell and the time is now! Here is the first of two (?) BraveWords.com reviews of GUNS N? ROSES' Chinese Democracy that FINALLY officially streets tomorrow (Sunday, November 23rd). Check out David Perri's take below:

Even just typing out that infamous record title for the purpose of this review is surreal. I mean, did anyone really think that Chinese Democracy would ever surface, let alone in 2008? It takes only one listen to this 14 year, $13 million purported tour-de-force to realize that W. Axl Rose, whether in a fit of delusion of grandeur or as a result of being seemingly a lonely recluse, has tried to create the greatest rock record of all time. He?s quite clearly not succeeded, but Chinese Democracy reeks of bombastic ambition anyway (and sometimes overbearingly so, as is the case in the opening moments of ?Madagascar?, ?There Was A Time? and ?Sorry?): it?s clear Rose aims high. But the main fault here, aside from the inexcusable sin of Slash and Duff not being involved, is that Chinese Democracy sounds dated, which is not surprising given that it's been in production since the Clinton administration?s first term. As well, when Chinese Democracy began its life-span, Rose?s obsession was then-superstar Nine Inch Nails and, though I?m a big fan of NIN, referencing Trent Reznor?s technological work in your own is always an immediate death sentence, as trendy technology has trouble standing the test of time. Chinese Democracy is at its best when Rose and his motley crew of hired guns (Tommy Stinson, you deserve so much better) do what Guns was once known for, namely rocking out with reckless abandon. As such, the top moments on Chinese Democracy are ?Riad N? The Bedouins? and ?Shackler?s Revenge? (despite that lame intro), with the title track/first single also showing potential, but no hook. Chinese Democracy?s undisputed highlight, however, is the brilliant ?Better?, a song that is amongst the best of the GN?R canon and should have acted as the archetype for the rest of Chinese Democracy. Elsewhere, Rose references everyone from the aforementioned Nine Inch Nails to Queen (and how), Pink Floyd, reggae, hip-hop and film soundtracks; ergo, Chinese Democracy feels like the inconsistent decade-old effort that it is, a record that is alternately confused, way too AM radio earnest (?Street Of Dreams?, ?Catcher In The Rye?) and morbidly fascinating, like that terrible highway wreck you just can?t take your eyes off of. After ten-plus years of not giving a shit about Axl Rose I have become curious enough to actually listen to Chinese Democracy, but that?s where it ends for Axl and his warped opus: the second Chinese Democracy is released, it loses all relevance, mystique and influence. The very fact that Chinese Democracy never surfaced is what made it so notorious and coveted, and now that it?s actually here it no longer possesses its vast cache of significance. In order to keep the cult of Chinese Democracy alive Rose should have never released this, and should have instead continued to offer only vague clues about the record via Sebastian Bach in the upcoming years. God damn, did anyone think W. Axl Rose was actually going to pull this off?

5/10

This review seems oddly angry and vitriolic.  It's rife with anger and even disdain towards Axl.  It's quite clear that when you open with a reference to the "inexcusable sing" of Slash and Duff not being on the record, you have an already established negative mindset towards the project.  It's hard, if not impossible to shake a pre-existing mindset, especially when it's filled with such anger.

Ali
sandman
Legend

« Reply #263 on: November 23, 2008, 04:13:37 PM »

Philadelphia Inquirer

3.5 Stars (out of 4)

i included the link. it's not that interesting of a review. he says Axl lowered expectations over the years. the key quote is that he calls the album "shockingly good."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/entertainment/20081123_Axl_Rose_delivers__after_17_years.html

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #264 on: November 23, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »

5/10

This review seems oddly angry and vitriolic.  It's rife with anger and even disdain towards Axl.  It's quite clear that when you open with a reference to the "inexcusable sing" of Slash and Duff not being on the record, you have an already established negative mindset towards the project.  It's hard, if not impossible to shake a pre-existing mindset, especially when it's filled with such anger.

Ali

I think it is not professional to review an album this way.

One should listen to an album a few times, and treat it individually, irrespective of what has come before.

The new Guns album has allowed us to review the reviewers and see who is fair and professional and who is not. It is interesting to read.
GeraldFord
« Reply #265 on: November 23, 2008, 04:25:07 PM »

The new Guns album has allowed us to review the reviewers and see who is fair and professional and who is not. It is interesting to read.

Yeah, I think you nailed it.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #266 on: November 23, 2008, 04:25:38 PM »

Journalist are wanna be's who never got to be so they are bitter.

kind of like the shit athlete in high school who sucked so he always criticizes pro athletes etc.

FUCK the critics

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ali
Legend

« Reply #267 on: November 23, 2008, 04:28:58 PM »

Philadelphia Inquirer

3.5 Stars (out of 4)

i included the link. it's not that interesting of a review. he says Axl lowered expectations over the years. the key quote is that he calls the album "shockingly good."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/entertainment/20081123_Axl_Rose_delivers__after_17_years.html

Wow, Philly giving GN'R some love!!!

Ali
GeraldFord
« Reply #268 on: November 23, 2008, 04:29:37 PM »

Journalist are wanna be's who never got to be so they are bitter.

kind of like the shit athlete in high school who sucked so he always criticizes pro athletes etc.

FUCK the critics

If someone doesn't like the album--fine, we don't have to agree with them. But when they spend most of the article saying how Axl is a jerk, he needs Slash/Duff, etc. it's just really lame.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #269 on: November 23, 2008, 04:31:07 PM »

5/10

Ali

One should listen to an album a few times, and treat it individually, irrespective of what has come before.

Yeah, it is unprofessional to display such anger and vitriol in what is allegedly an objective critique.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #270 on: November 23, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »

Exactly Richard

Ive said a million times, I don't mind a bad review as long as it seems they just didn't "GET" it. they listened to the music and they didn't like it. That is ok, I can live with that

when reviews mention the time, the money, the old band............. saying it sounds "Dated" WTF does that even mean?

U can tell what reviews are genuine and which aren't.

TWT
Rocker

GNR's next lead guitarist

« Reply #271 on: November 23, 2008, 04:55:45 PM »

Some of these critics have been waiting to slate this thing as long as we've waited to have it in our hands. You have to let them have their little moment in the spotlight. They'll never get this much attention again  ok

I'm assuming that's why it was played on MySpace. In the age of the internet, the public decides what the public wants. It would be nice to see it getting more praise, but whatever. After all these years, I still don't actually know or care who Mick Wall is.
mikestone
Opening Act

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #272 on: November 23, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »

5/10

/\ vr fan ,slash suckbuddy

i've got a funny feeling
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #273 on: November 23, 2008, 05:24:46 PM »

when reviews mention the time,

I totally agree with your general point, and with the fact that the time/money spent on the recording shouldn't have any impact on anyone's assessment of its merit.

However, when the TV spot advertising Chi Dem over here in Britain actually emphasises the time that's elapsed since the last release, it's really not surprising reviewers target it too.
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #274 on: November 23, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »

If someone doesn't like the album--fine, we don't have to agree with them. But when they spend most of the article saying how Axl is a jerk, he needs Slash/Duff, etc. it's just really lame.

Whether or not Axl is a jerk is indeed completely irrelevant when reviewing an album.

Suggesting Axl needs Slash/Duff/Izzy etc to make his best music, however,  can be presented as a legitimate musical opinion. People reviewing ANY band that has had lineup changes will comment on the impact those changes have had, good or bad.

Of course, in this case that will often be an opinion they've been locked into from before they even heard the album, but when that's the case it's normally pretty evident from the get-go.
riotact_vancity
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #275 on: November 23, 2008, 05:49:33 PM »

5/10

Ali

whats unprofessional about the review? didnt a lot of the early reviews only get to listen to it once?

it seems when people give it a great review the opinion on this board is something like "finally, someone who knows what he's doing when he reviews a record" whereas when someone gives a poor review they're idiots who shouldnt be allowed in front of a keyboard....some people just wont like it, though i cant personally understand how some of the songs arent universal.
riotact_vancity
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #276 on: November 23, 2008, 05:50:31 PM »

FUCK the critics

okay, but then dont lionize the ones who think it's a masterpiece...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #277 on: November 23, 2008, 05:51:59 PM »

FUCK the critics

okay, but then dont lionize the ones who think it's a masterpiece...

Let me rephrase

Fuck the Critics who don't review the "music"only.

The other shit doesn't matter or shouldn't.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #278 on: November 23, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »

5/10

Ali

whats unprofessional about the review? didnt a lot of the early reviews only get to listen to it once?

it seems when people give it a great review the opinion on this board is something like "finally, someone who knows what he's doing when he reviews a record" whereas when someone gives a poor review they're idiots who shouldnt be allowed in front of a keyboard....some people just wont like it, though i cant personally understand how some of the songs arent universal.

You're missing the point.  The problem is the level of anger and hostility the reviewer has towards Axl.  That hostility will ALWAYS cloud your judgment when reviewing a record.  And to display that hostility so unapologetically is beyond unprofessional, it's stupid because it makes you look bitter, like you have an axe to grind.

Ali
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #279 on: November 23, 2008, 07:51:19 PM »

'DEMOCRACY' IN ACTION
By DAN AQUILANTE/NY Post

November 23, 2008 --

YES Virginia, there is a new Guns 'N' Roses album. After more than 15 years of rumors and jokes about the existence of Axl Rose's fabled opus "Chinese Democracy," the unpredictable and reclusive singer turns myth into reality with today's release of the most delayed record in rock history.

All you GN'R fans and haters ready to slag the disc because it took forever to finish, suck up the venom. Axl made a kickass rock record.

There are no apologies or major missteps on "Chinese Democracy," unless you count its exclusive distribution through "Best Buy" stores in the US. It's a record that sounds like an honest continuation of the band's work despite the monumental recording hiatus and the fact that Rose is now the sole founding member remaining in the band.

A large part of that consistency goes to the man's voice, which is still fantastic whether he's wailing through an arena power ballad or squeezing his pipes into falsettos during numbers that sound as influenced by the grind of Nine Inch Nails as the metallic pop of his youth. While there is occasionally a little too much Broadway bombast in Rose's vocal attack - there always was - in all, this disc displays a rock timelessness that never sounds like a dated, tired GN'R retread.

Here, track-by-track, is how the musical origami of "Chinese Democracy" unfolds.

"Chinese Democracy": As a musical mission statement that says GN'R is back, the title track is a glorious headbanger. It starts with a haunting mix of Asian flutes and Chinese chatter that gives way to crisp, percussive guitar work and Axl drawling lyrics as inscrutable as fortune-cookie wisdom. He seems to be saying that time is running out, yet time changes nothing. A great rock song waiting to be played in an arena.

"Shackler's Revenge": This is one of the disc's most interesting mutants, bridging classic GN'R hard rock and industrial crunch. The yin/yang effect of the different styles and the bold midsong guitar solo are the key reasons this track was snatched up for placement in the second edition of the video game "Rock Band," released earlier this fall.

"Better": Opening with a guitar lick reminiscent of the "Twilight Zone" theme, "Better" finds Axl getting in touch with his emotions. He praises love and laments losing it - and he manages to do so without stepping in sap. Again, Axl's crafted a complex melody with multiple bridge elements that isn't satisfied with just being a catchy tune.

"Street of Dreams": Last year, Rose was playing this song in concert and calling it "The Blues." He was right the first time. "Street" is a kitchen-sink ballad in which he turns on his show-tune voice to match the opening Elton John piano riff. Then he sweetens (for the worse) with an overzealous string orchestration.

"If the World": One of the album's top tracks. The drums have a gris-gris swamp groove that quickly gets funked up enough to support an Isaac Hayes-like melody. There's even a hint of the piano line from Traffic's "Dear Mister Fantasy." In keeping with the song's wide musical scope, Rose muses on the end of the world.

"There Was a Time": Sounding more like the Eagles' "Hotel California" than anything in the Guns songbook, "Time" gives Axl a chance to trash a girl who did him wrong. If you think it's about anything else, just condense the title to its initials.

"Catcher in the Rye": In this piano ballad, Axl channels his inner Beatle. It's a very pretty song in which he attempts to unravel the mystery of why angst-ridden, sexually repressed, screwed-up youths like to imagine themselves as J.D. Salinger's Holden Caulfield before they pull a trigger and kill men like John Lennon.

"Scraped": Straight-up, take-no-prisoners rock, it boasts one of the disc's best guitar solos, shredded by KFC-loving ax-man Buckethead. He recorded the riff years ago, before being booted like a host of other sidemen.

"Riad N' the Bedouins": On this urgent, heavy power-beat rocker that could have been called "Osama and the Suicide Skyjackers," Axl says he won't live in fear in a terror-filled world. Good song, but its 9/11 references are as subtle as a sledgehammer.

"Sorry": Is Pink Floyd listening? Because Axl's been listening to them.

"IRS": Another standout, this one flips between mellow introspection and a raging metal storm. It's a relationship song. Axl in love is scary.

"Madagascar": This is among the most epic "November Rain"-style songs on the record. It raises a fist against prejudice by interpolating Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech. But in an otherwise adventurous collection, this one's a little too repetitious.

"This I Love": Axl goes all Freddie Mercury on this Queen-esque love ballad. Surprisingly, it works for him. It's such an unexpected move for Rose, it makes you pay attention to how good a singer he really is.

"Prostitute": For any fan contemplating why Axl abandoned them for 14 years, the opening lines might help. He sings, with sincerity, "It seems like forever and a day, if my intentions were misunderstood, please be kind, I've done all I should." In fact, he's done just that on this imperfect but solid record.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: