Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 06:50:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy Review Thread  (Read 104377 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2008, 10:27:07 AM »

http://www.side2.no/musikk/anmeldelser/article2413929.ece

In Norwegian... 5/6  beer

"A beautiful hard-rock album. There's way too few of them"
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:28:47 AM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2008, 10:34:24 AM »

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/chinese-democracy-review-no-holds-barred-183692

The first really negative review I have read and very hard to read.

that review is just too fucking funny even to read ... amazing how people that try to be cool because of not liking it turn themselves to clowns in a single review ... not even worth 2,5 minutes of anyone's life ...

v. ..

I once read a bad review for Appetite.  It was on a pretty well trafficed music site, by a relatively reputable "reviewer", long after Appetite was released (obviously!).

Hell, I remember hearing a negative review, or two, when Appetite first was released, in some of the music rags.

Given the "status" of this album there are going to be plenty of critics out there who either can't get past it and review it on it's own merits (and not as "the album that took 15+ years to make) or just flat out won't find it to be their cup of tea.  It's gonna happen.

The plus side is...the majority of the press seems to like it.  And even better, the FANS seem to like it.  Not "are paying lip service to it", but genuinely seem to like the material.  I think that's enough....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »

Looks like The Guardian has released a proper review, its an average review. 3 out of 5.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/nov/21/guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy

I have to agree about the selection of songs sounding like a compilation album, its one of the first things I noticed.
 The sound levels seem to fluctuate occasionaly throughout the record, sometimes within a song. Its like they literally plucked 14 songs from the vault and just put them on the record, not taking time to master them as all whole. To my ear all the songs obviously have been mastered individually, at different times, perhaps by different people using different programs. I thought the final album mastering session would have disguised all that.

That's what they did. They're fitting the rest of the songs from 'the vault' for the other two albums.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:42:33 AM by Mobenrad » Logged
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2008, 11:00:53 AM »

http://www.side2.no/musikk/anmeldelser/article2413929.ece

In Norwegian... 5/6  beer

"A beautiful hard-rock album. There's way too few of them"

Yeah! Good review from side2.no !!

I Love too see how many good reviews this album gets! Guns  N Roses prooved lots of people wrong!  ok

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Olorin
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2008, 11:12:25 AM »

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but the reviewer in The Sun newspaper in the UK gave the album 2.5 / 5

This is it here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/sftw/article1954367.ece

Funny, last week they were praising it  Huh
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2008, 11:32:35 AM »

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but the reviewer in The Sun newspaper in the UK gave the album 2.5 / 5

This is it here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/sftw/article1954367.ece

Funny, last week they were praising it  Huh

Different people talking about it.  Just because they work for the same (shitty) newspaper, does not mean they're all connected to some hive mind and have identical opinions. Wink
Olorin
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2008, 01:19:55 PM »

Thats got to be sarcasm.
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »

The NME apparently has a 2-page review. I'd love to read it.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2008, 01:45:39 PM »

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/chinese-democracy-review-no-holds-barred-183692

well the authors of these reviews must love generic radio rock...Everything they hate about this record is the exact reason why i love it...well you cant please everyone...
DemocracyRose
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2008, 01:50:14 PM »

well the authors of these reviews must love generic radio rock...Everything they hate about this record is the exact reason why i love it...well you cant please everyone...

Almost every reviews from Denmark are bad. No surprise. Only a few are good...
dallasgel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2008, 04:01:11 PM »

Here's another review, not sure if it has been posted:  http://www.culturebully.com/guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-review#more-10966
thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2008, 04:05:32 PM »

By SANDY COHEN
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- When the last new Guns N' Roses album came out, there were no iPods or digital downloads. There was no "American Idol." No music blogs. No MySpace.

"Use Your Illusion" volumes 1 and 2 instantly topped the charts as simultaneous releases in 1991. Guns N' Roses was one of the hottest bands in rock 'n' roll _ a sure hitmaker and stadium filler. Fans couldn't wait for the new material.

Now, 17 years later, that new material arrives.

With an entirely new lineup _ save for founding frontman Axl Rose _ and after myriad stumbles and delays, Guns N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy" is set for release Sunday.

"Is this going to be 'Snakes on a Plane,' where the buildup is more exciting than the thing itself?" wondered Rob Brunner, senior editor for music at Entertainment Weekly.

Here's a look at the long evolution of the album that time almost forgot.

___

1994: Rose begins work on "Chinese Democracy."

1996: Guitarist Slash quits the band. Drummer Matt Sorum and bassist Duff McKagan follow. "That sort of seemed like the beginning of this album," Brunner said.

1998: Rose assembles a new band, including Nine Inch Nails touring guitarist Robin Finck and former Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson. They begin making music at Rumbo Recorders, where GNR's original lineup recorded parts of its multi-platinum 1987 debut, "Appetite for Destruction."

"That's when people started to think, 'What's he doing?' It seemed pretty bizarre to people who were fans of 'Paradise City,'" Brunner said.

1999: Rose invites Rolling Stone to preview tracks from "Chinese Democracy." The magazine anticipated the album could be released the following year.

2000: Rose hires two new musicians: guitarist Buckethead and drummer Brian "Brain" Mantia. The singer appears onstage for the first time in years during a surprise performance at a small Sunset Strip nightclub.

2001: Rose and the new GNR band perform new material at the House of Blues in Las Vegas.

2002: A cornrowed Rose and his band unveil a new track during a three-song medley at the MTV Video Music Awards. "What was striking about this is how little anyone was talking about the music," Brunner said. "It was all about his appearance and the fact that he showed up. It had nothing to do with the song itself. ... That's when it started seeming like things were not going in the right direction."

2004: Geffen declares that it has spent enough money on "Chinese Democracy" and that it's Rose's "obligation to fund and complete the album." The label releases a Guns N' Roses greatest-hits record. The label did not respond to a phone call and e-mail seeking comment on the album's many delays.

2006: Rose announces that "Chinese Democracy" won't be released in 2006 as planned and sets March 6, 2007, as the new release date. Four tracks from the album leak online.

2007: "Chinese Democracy" does not materialize. More tracks leak online.

2008: In March, Dr Pepper announces it will give a free soda to everyone in America if "Chinese Democracy" is released before the end of the year. (The company says it is making good on its promise.) Two tracks are officially released in the fall: one in the "Rock Band 2" video game and another in the film "Body of Lies." In October, Geffen announces that "Chinese Democracy" will hit stores on Nov. 23. On Nov. 20, the album's 14 tracks stream on MySpace.com.

"This is his shot," Brunner said. "If this doesn't connect now, I don't think anyone, another 15 years from now, will be panting over the long-awaited follow-up to 'Chinese Democracy.'"

___

Dr Pepper is owned by Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc.

___

On the Net:
http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses
http://www.drpepper.com
http://www.gunsnroses.com

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All right reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

http://www.baynews9.com/content/49/2008/11/21/405995.html

http://www.baynews9.com/Search.cfm?search=guns+n%27+roses

this is nice that my local news station is putting guns n' roses back in the spotlight Cheesy  and plus thats a nice pic of axl they have use
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:07:20 PM by thomas » Logged
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2008, 05:36:29 PM »

Pretty cool to get a slot on BBC2. Shows how big a deal this album really is!! It's coming up shortly. I'll keep ya posted on what they think!!

It'll start @ 11 btw!  peace
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:39:13 PM by Jimmy? » Logged
Bansidhe
Headliner

We'll rap yer pus.

« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2008, 05:40:45 PM »

Pretty cool to get a slot on BBC2. Shows how big a deal this album really is!! It's coming up shortly. I'll keep ya posted on what they think!!

It'll start @ 11 btw!  peace

Lol just finished watching QI then heard Warky mention it. Worth hearing their "educated opinion". Grin

If I had the wings of an sparrow, if I had the arse of a crow, I'd fly over Dens Park tomorrow and shite on the bastards below, below.
Shite on, shite on, shite on the bastards below.
St_Jimmyuk
VIP

Im Right next door to hell...

« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2008, 05:41:42 PM »

don't tell me this not after eddie izzard just started on c4 Sad

- They call me Lenny...... But that's not my name, that's not my name.
Jimmy?
Legend

« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2008, 05:42:43 PM »

don't tell me this not after eddie izzard just started on c4 Sad

Sky+ ?
St_Jimmyuk
VIP

« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2008, 05:43:28 PM »

afraid i am not that privileged until I get my own place, law school is costing me ?11,000 plus maintenance and travel

Jimmy?
Legend

« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2008, 05:44:25 PM »

afraid i am not that privileged until I get my own place, law school is costing me ?11,000 plus maintenance and travel

Ah that's cool! Toss a coin then. Heads = Izzard, Tails = Guns?
St_Jimmyuk
VIP

« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2008, 05:44:53 PM »

i think i may find my way to change the channel at 11  ok

demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2008, 05:55:19 PM »

Ehh... As much as some bad reviews are agenda driven, I'm sure some just honestly don't like it. That happens with any music/art/film. It's not wrong, just opinion.

Besides which, it's not like some of the positive reviews aren't agenda driven. There is probably more than one publication that figures a really positive review will move them up the list for an interview with the man himself...

Not a perfect system, but it's how the game's always been played, so I can't see myself worrying about the reviews too much either way, especially given there's been a handful on both sides of the fence thus far.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: