Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 05:28:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  BBC review
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBC review  (Read 6481 times)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 12:41:40 PM »

I can honestly say that TWAT has never once reminded me of "Blaze of Glory".

D?  You're the resident Bonjovite.  Is TWAT "dangerously close to becoming Bon Jovi's 'Blaze of Glory'"?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GeraldFord
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 12:48:24 PM »

uncompromising, fully-focused, hard rock monster.

As for the album being overblown, grandiose, etc....I see that as "epic."  ok

This is the kind of album I wanted to hear.
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »

At times, it will rattle the rafters with its ferocious riffs. At others, you will laugh out loud at the ridiculously overblown melodrama. In other words, it's business as usual for Guns N' Roses."

haha, that's AWESOME.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
burnz007
Rocker

Kick'n back in the shadows...

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »

" But Chinese Democracy also misses the clean, tuneful riffs that Slash and Izzy Stradlin used to provide."

Exactly.

When you review an album based on what it's not instead of what it actually is, then you're missing something.

It's not Appetite For Destruction. Because it's not 1987!

I wonder if they review albums by the Rolling Stones like this as well, "it's not Sticky Fingers".

/jarmo

True, but I also think many people are looking to this album to usher in the return of rock... to knock off these shitty pop / hip-hop albums off the top of charts... similar to what AFD did... bring back the sense of danger, excess, & controversy to rock again.  Axl Rose, the last great rock star !!!     I can't wait !! Since the dawn of the internet it's been my routine to read up on GNR news everyday... hoping to read that the release of CD is imminent... and finally it is... my excitement is barely containable.

"I know that I'm a classic case..."

-Mike
burnz007
Rocker

Kick'n back in the shadows...

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 01:59:02 PM »

D?  You're the resident Bonjovite.  Is TWAT "dangerously close to becoming Bon Jovi's 'Blaze of Glory'"?

Me either... not even close.

On side note, Blaze of Glory was a Jon Bon Jovi solo song from the Young Guns soundtrack.... it's an ok song... but I don't see any similarities with TWAT
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »

WTF BBC is insane to make this kind of comparison. Wow...

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
ThatGuy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 02:35:51 PM »

"The credit list for one song - the Bond theme-esque There Was A Time - runs to 33 lines on the CD booklet. A total of six people play guitar on the track. Two of them get solos."

6 guitar players?  we know fortus, finck, and buckethead play on it... im gone also assume bumblefoot may have added some work to it... who would the other 2 be?

imagine this, top rolled down, 4 pumps of l.a. looks in your hair, crusing down the highway, getting roadhead while jamming You Could Be Mine!
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »

"The credit list for one song - the Bond theme-esque There Was A Time - runs to 33 lines on the CD booklet. A total of six people play guitar on the track. Two of them get solos."

6 guitar players?  we know fortus, finck, and buckethead play on it... im gone also assume bumblefoot may have added some work to it... who would the other 2 be?

*SPOILER ALERT*

Axl and Paul Tobias
Giant_Robot
Rocker

I am not your standard Chicken Dinner

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 02:37:43 PM »

Axl and Tobias

Thanks Giant Robot...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 02:44:09 PM »

When i saw that I first said "WHAT!"

The only POSSIBLE thing I can think of and it is a stretch from hell is the outro maybe.............

I would've done anything for you...............................................

Call me Young Gun..........................................................

Other than that, The reviewer is out of his mind.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2008, 02:45:54 PM »

Anyone who thinks thats a poor review is going to get some mighty big upsets soon, I imagine.  That was an excellent review, aside from focussing a little too much on 'the past'.  But I think it was mostly good and fair stuff, and plenty of positive comments.  

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2008, 02:57:46 PM »

When i saw that I first said "WHAT!"

The only POSSIBLE thing I can think of and it is a stretch from hell is the outro maybe.............

I would've done anything for you...............................................

Call me Young Gun..........................................................

Other than that, The reviewer is out of his mind.

Yeah, it makes no sense. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
BatVin
Opening Act

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2008, 03:02:37 PM »

I don't think it's negative...but neither positive.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »

Anyone who thinks thats a poor review is going to get some mighty big upsets soon, I imagine.  That was an excellent review, aside from focussing a little too much on 'the past'.  But I think it was mostly good and fair stuff, and plenty of positive comments.  
Yeah I didn't find that review terribly negative.  He just seemed a little hung up on how long the album took and past members and albums.  Other than that, he did have many positive comments.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 05:43:32 PM »

I don't think it's negative...but neither positive.

I think overall it's more positive than negative.  He's just hung up on the time spent making the record and the lack of old members.

Ali
TWT
Rocker

GNR's next lead guitarist

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2008, 07:11:07 AM »

I hope they talk about CD on Newsnight Review on Friday. It's 99% likely to be negative but it'll throw up a hell of a lot more discussion  ok
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2008, 08:23:31 AM »

Music will always be viewed differently by different people.  Not everyone has the same taste. We all love this music cos we've been listening to GNR for years and we're into what he does and listening to his voice etc. but alot of people reviewing their first listen will not have the same love we have and so can be more objective. When the album comes out its gonna be a blast!!

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 08:28:24 AM »

Even UYI had good songs criticized e.g. From a Rolling Stone review of UYI 2 "The clunkers on II are "Shotgun Blues," a sonic assault with surprisingly little impact, and "Get in the Ring," which challenges the band's detractors by name but basically hits below the belt. On Appetite it was "Feel my serpentine"; on Illusion II it's "Suck my fuckin' dick" ? meant in a different spirit, yes, but it's beneath them just the same.

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
Calcy
Rocker

He's baaaaaaaack!

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2008, 10:26:29 AM »

I wouldn't say it's that negative.

The reviewer just chooses to focus on certain things and seems to get hung up on them instead of just focusing on the music.

It's not supposed to be like Appetite For Destruction!

Why even compare the two?

/jarmo

Agreed, but thats wats gonna happen.

Look at most reviews of AC/DC's Black Ice, gets directly compared to Back In Black and suffers for it. Cos GNR made a collosal album in AFD its gonna be the benchmark by which Chinese Democracy is compared.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:30:22 AM by Calcy » Logged
BodyCount
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2008, 11:18:37 AM »

They really should see this release apart from past releases, Appetite is not their latest..

UYI was 2 cd's worth of evolving GNR....the song OMG followed.....GNR kept evolving....and here's the new "product/art" however one likes to call it...

If a forward quarter back makes for a beautifull touchdownl, that goes round the world in every sport-programme, and the match after that, or after that he delivers great touchdowns, but not quite like the one everyone kept talking about, does his follow-up aclomplishments mean less?? Is the player not as good anymore? NO! he needs to be judged and reviewd match by match...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: