Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 11:43:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Sun (UK tabloid newspaper) review of the album
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Sun (UK tabloid newspaper) review of the album  (Read 4945 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: November 14, 2008, 06:30:50 PM »

Published: 15 Nov 2008

GUNS N? ROSES? first album of new material in 17 years makes QUEEN at their extravagant peak sound like a choir of monks.

I?ve had a listen to the long overdue Chinese Democracy and can confirm it?s one of the most unashamedly over-the-top rock records ever.

It is so lavish that even the contribution of Queen?s BRIAN MAY, a scorching guitar solo, was left on the cutting room floor by mastermind AXL ROSE.

The poodle-haired guitarist told me: ?It is a shame. I put quite a lot of work in and was proud of it.

?But I could understand if Axl wants to have an album which reflects the work of the members of the band as it is right now.?

The CD, out on November 24, has taken on mythical status. I didn?t think it would see the light of day.

But the band?s manager, ANDY GOULD, explained: ?When they asked MICHELANGELO to paint the Sistine Chapel they didn?t say, ?Can you do it in the fourth quarter??

?Great art sometimes takes time.? I?m inclined to agree. The album is heavy in places but also shows Rose?s vulnerable side.

Stormers Shackler?s Revenge and Scraped, with Axl howling: ?Don?t you try and stop us now, cos I won?t let you?, and berserk thrash-metal track Riad N? The Bedouins, will please headbangers.

On the other hand, Street Of Dreams, with its sweeping strings and tinkling pianos, could have featured on THE BEATLES? classic album Abbey Road.

Soppy ballad If The World sounds like a vintage Bond theme.

The most startling offering, This I Love, is like a 19th Century waltz while Sorry could be the ultimate power ballad.

Chinese Democracy is lavish, ludicrous...and quite brilliant.

No one else on the planet is making music like this at the moment and label Universal are so confident that they have pressed an unprecedented three million copies ahead of the CD?s release.

The fact Axl is the only one left from the original line-up won?t stop it flying off the shelves.

But there?s one place you won?t be able to buy the record ? it?s already been banned in China.

On the other hand, Street Of Dreams, with its sweeping strings and tinkling pianos, could have featured on THE BEATLES? classic album Abbey Road.

No one else on the planet is making music like this at the moment

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1933110.ece

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:24:42 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 06:33:58 PM »

So I wonder what the final version of the blues I mean street of dreams will sound like?

I love it don't get me wrong...... but it has praise I wouldn't have guessed.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Bansidhe
Headliner

We'll rap yer pus.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 06:42:36 PM »

Guessing that the review is in The Sun & not The Scottish Sun. Just had a look & I don't think we're getting the review up here.

If I had the wings of an sparrow, if I had the arse of a crow, I'd fly over Dens Park tomorrow and shite on the bastards below, below.
Shite on, shite on, shite on the bastards below.
Christian
VIP

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 06:42:54 PM »

wow!
what a review!
that's really fu**ing great
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 06:51:43 PM »

Don't remember when I felt that good... Enjoying life. This is fuckin great Smiley
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 06:52:07 PM »

lol - banned in China.

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 06:54:15 PM »

This and the Rolling Stone review tell us two things.

1. The album is not the disaster that many have predicted, and is in fact the album we have anticipated the hell out of all these years.
2. Not all reviewers are pricks out to make a name for themselves by trashing something as historic as this album.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 06:57:34 PM »

Hey cheers for posting that Jarmo! I'm still in New Zealand on our honeymoon so it was nice to read such a great review from the good old Sun newspaper back home!! Thanks mate!!

Mike

Nightrain7
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 07:00:31 PM »

Is it true about the China thing??,, if so thats very lame....

Chinese Democracy "Get on board or F**K OFF!!"
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 07:15:26 PM »

Does anybody know who wrote the review?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 07:21:33 PM »

Published: 15 Nov 2008

GUNS N? ROSES? first album of new material in 17 years makes QUEEN at their extravagant peak sound like a choir of monks.

I?ve had a listen to the long overdue Chinese Democracy and can confirm it?s one of the most unashamedly over-the-top rock records ever.

It is so lavish that even the contribution of Queen?s BRIAN MAY, a scorching guitar solo, was left on the cutting room floor by mastermind AXL ROSE.

The poodle-haired guitarist told me: ?It is a shame. I put quite a lot of work in and was proud of it.

?But I could understand if Axl wants to have an album which reflects the work of the members of the band as it is right now.?

The CD, out on November 24, has taken on mythical status. I didn?t think it would see the light of day.

But the band?s manager, ANDY GOULD, explained: ?When they asked MICHELANGELO to paint the Sistine Chapel they didn?t say, ?Can you do it in the fourth quarter??

?Great art sometimes takes time.? I?m inclined to agree. The album is heavy in places but also shows Rose?s vulnerable side.

Stormers Shackler?s Revenge and Scraped, with Axl howling: ?Don?t you try and stop us now, cos I won?t let you?, and berserk thrash-metal track Riad N? The Bedouins, will please headbangers.

Soppy ballad If The World sounds like a vintage Bond theme.

The most startling offering, This I Love, is like a 19th Century waltz while Sorry could be the ultimate power ballad.

Chinese Democracy is lavish, ludicrous...and quite brilliant.

No one else on the planet is making music like this at the moment and label Universal are so confident that they have pressed an unprecedented three million copies ahead of the CD?s release.

The fact Axl is the only one left from the original line-up won?t stop it flying off the shelves.

But there?s one place you won?t be able to buy the record ? it?s already been banned in China.

/jarmo

Wow, I thought the Sun was quite against GN'R.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's why my initial reaction was one of pleasant surprise Smiley

Ali
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »

Does anybody know who wrote the review?

It's under the "Gordon Smart's Bizarre" section....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »

Oh, god. I thought that it might be. The guy's a tool.

(I don't read the Sun... Honest! But that doesn't mean that I'm not aware of their writers...)

Which makes it even harder to give him credit for writing a decent review...

... But I've got to do it! (Give him credit, that is)

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 07:32:32 PM »

/jarmo

We knew this was coming, it's just official now.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »

Oh, god. I thought that it might be. The guy's a tool.

(I don't read the Sun... Honest! But that doesn't mean that I'm not aware of their writers...)

Which makes it even harder to give him credit for writing a decent review...

... But I've got to do it! (Give him credit, that is)
Me neither....I'm a Daily Star man, I'm holding out for their review  Cheesy

Wonderful to see this response though, it really is!
gnrlies247
Rocker

Axl- you fuckin' rock!

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 07:38:44 PM »

Awesome review,this gets me even more excited!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 09:08:43 PM »

My impression of The Sun is that it's one of those nasty gossip publications.

I couldn't believe that they gave GN'R such a good review.  These two big reviews the last couple of days have gotten me even more excited to hear the album, and what will follow.....
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »

that's why we love Guns N'Roses  Wink

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »

My impression of The Sun is that it's one of those nasty gossip publications.

I couldn't believe that they gave GN'R such a good review. 

Yeah, it was surprising considering the type of things they usually write about.

/jarmo

Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 09:33:30 PM »

That's a good review, even if it is from the gutter press.  One wonders it's really necessary to have emphasised words in CAPITAL LETTERS as if people are too THICK to figure these things out for themselves.  Oh, wait... Sun readers... I forgot.

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: