Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 06:34:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  VELVET REVOLVER Dropped by RCA/SONY BMG
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: VELVET REVOLVER Dropped by RCA/SONY BMG  (Read 10589 times)
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 11:05:36 AM »

VR's keeping a low profile at the moment and it's not big in the news, but that doesn't mean they're not active searching for a singer. As far as I'm concerned the dropping thing is just a technicallity..

The label's dropping them because they're not generating income and probably won't see that happening anytime soon. Right now for VR the negative side about being dropped is that they're gonna have to pay for rehearsel space and all that kind of stuff themselves. The good thing is that now they don't have any label commitments and have more freedom to do as they please.
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 01:29:41 PM »

Unless they start a new band and replace Matt Sorum with me. Which would be very cool.

I hope to god this poster is Steven Adler

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 08:58:58 PM »

It actually happened months ago, not sure why Blabbermouth is just reporting it.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 11:25:42 PM »

Who cares  Huh

Maybe Slash, Duff and Matt.  Undecided

Yeah, were sales that bad?

Sales didn't live up to the expectations plus they lost a major part of why they were signed in the first place.

/jarmo

I didn't know that...interesting.

And they are still listed on the RCA site, not that it means anything.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pine Barrens
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 02:54:49 AM »

That is sad news. I was hoping they would find someone interesting and talented enough to keep VR going before it all just kind withered away. But it is proven time and time again that the voice of a rock n' roll band is the hardest thing to replace.

As far as Scott goes, I've been a huge Weiland fan for about 16 years, but when VR hired him I literally said out loud (sarcastically) "well, this should be fun". I said the same thing when STP reformed earlier this year. I love the dude's voice and his singing, but VR never stood a chance with him. it was a ticking bomb and I think many felt the same way.

Slash, Duff and Matt, should they decide to continue in a band together, need to find a reliable formula that will work. It will get increasingly harder for them to whip up the same buzz and excitment they achieved with VR. I, naturally, wish them them all the best of luck, but unless they find a "voice" that is unique and representative of a collaborative union within VR (or whatever they will be called), it's back to so-so solo careers and guest spots, which I think is a sad result, considering the careers they all once had. Come on guys, get your act together, form a kick ass band with reliable people and keep it going.
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 08:51:04 AM »

Slash, Duff and Matt, should they decide to continue in a band together, need to find a reliable formula that will work. It will get increasingly harder for them to whip up the same buzz and excitment they achieved with VR. I, naturally, wish them them all the best of luck, but unless they find a "voice" that is unique and representative of a collaborative union within VR (or whatever they will be called), it's back to so-so solo careers and guest spots, which I think is a sad result, considering the careers they all once had. Come on guys, get your act together, form a kick ass band with reliable people and keep it going.

They are going to have to do something to create a buzz whenever they get a singer. Unless they get a Chris Cornell/ Lenny Kravitz type they will need to do something like bring back Izzy to generate a buzz about this band. Otherwise they are going to waste the opportunity to keep this band relevant and they will be doing solo records from here on out. That would be a tragedy.

I know they say that they are looking for singers, but it looks more like they are working on solo albums, CF, and Loaded. When do they make time to auditions singers?

Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 12:16:32 PM »

I really hope they will continue! I think the music that Velvet Revolver created was the best, with a good singer it would be awesome. I don't think Scott is a very good rock singer.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 03:32:18 PM »

Velvet Revolver dropped by RCA?

Slash, Duff and Matt could be label shopping

Joe Bosso, Wed 19 Nov

No singer, no label. What else can go wrong?

As the long-awaited release of Axl Rose's version of Gun N' Roses' Chinese Democracy looms, word is that Velvet Revolver has been dropped by their record label, RCA.

Velvet Revolver features ex-Guns N' Roses members Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum, along with guitarist Dave Kushner.

The band has released two full-length albums through RCA/Sony BMG - 2004's Contraband, which sold 1.98 million copies in the US, and its 2007 follow-up, Libertad, which moved only 301,000 units in the US.

Despite their dramatic drop in sales, the band toured steadily until April of this year, when they fired singer Scott Weiland for erratic behavior and drug use (Weiland has since returned to his old band, Stone Temple Pilots).

Since the summer, the band has been auditioning possible replacements for Weiland. Rumored candidates have included ex-Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach, former MTV VJ Steve Isaacs (who sang for The Panic Channel), ex-Spacehog vocalist Royston Langdon and Lenny Kravitz.

In an exclusive interview with MusicRadar, bassist Duff McKagan talked about the group's search for a new lead singer: "It's hard, man, but it's gotta be the right guy. To be honest we thought we'd have a singer right away, but things don't always happen the way you want.

"We worked with Royston and had high hopes for him. But it just wasn't right - alas. So, back to the drawing board."

Regarding the rumor that Lenny Kravitz was close to joining the band, McKagan simply chuckled. "Lenny was a blatant rumor. I don't even know where that came from.

"The fact of the matter is, we don't have a singer. We don't have to rush this thing. Our singer has to be great, he can't just be good. We'll know when we know."

And when they know, they'll be on a new label.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/velvet-revolver-dropped-by-rca-183460

MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 05:08:02 PM »

I actually liked Libertad more than Contraband. 

Once they do get a new singer, and a new label, they should take their time putting at least 2 years into making their next cd.  Slash and Duff should make the GNR record they wanted to when they split from Axl.

Show what they had envisioned the future of GNR would have been.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 05:11:50 PM »

Slash and Duff should make the GNR record they wanted to when they split from Axl.

Slash made it.  It was called "It's Five O'clock Somewhere".

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 05:33:32 PM »

Slash and Duff should make the GNR record they wanted to when they split from Axl.

Ouch, that's right......I forgot.  Nevermind.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
overmatik
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 08:03:06 AM »

Yes, and it's a hell of an album, I listen it all the time!

Frankly, as long as Duff and Slash are together, they can do anything they want that I'll buy it!
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 10:15:06 AM »

i LOVE that album, its fucking brilliant. what do you want to be. Jesus christ what a song
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 09:22:29 PM »

From Snakepit.org

On the net, rumor has it that RCA has dropped Velvet Revolver. SLASH says that while it is true that VR is no longer with RCA, the truth is not as negative as the rumor. The band owed RCA money for a third album which at this time they are unable to produce (no singer). The band and RCA parted amicably. When they are recording the new album, it most likely will be for a new label.

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »

From Snakepit.org

On the net, rumor has it that RCA has dropped Velvet Revolver. SLASH says that while it is true that VR is no longer with RCA, the truth is not as negative as the rumor. The band owed RCA money for a third album which at this time they are unable to produce (no singer). The band and RCA parted amicably. When they are recording the new album, it most likely will be for a new label.

That still sounds like getting dropped to me.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »

Is it all over for Velvet Revolver?

Things aren't looking good in the Velvet Revolver camp. The supergroup - featuring former members of Guns N' Roses - have been dropped by their label, RCA.

The band released their debut Contraband in 2004, selling almost two million copies in the US. Their 2007 follow-up, Libertad, sold only 301,000. Their lead vocalist Scott Weiland was fired in April and there are no signs of a replacement being found.

http://www2.kerrang.com/2008/11/is_it_all_over_for_velvet_revo.html

IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »

From Snakepit.org

That still sounds like getting dropped to me.
...Sure I got fired, but it was because I spent 8 hours a day talking to my girlfriend, and my boss and I agreed that perhaps some other company would find that skill useful...  hihi

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2008, 10:27:48 AM »

More on that Velvet Revolver/RCA split

24/11/2008 15:04pm

So? were they dropped by their record label, or did they leave of their own accord? Confusion surrounds the reason behind Velvet Revolver?s split with RCA.It?s rumoured that the split is down to poor sales of the band?s second album, Libertad, which has shifted just 300,000 units in the US since its July 2007 release, compared to the 1.98 million their debut, Contraband, sold in the States.

Amind all the speculation the official fansite of VR guitarist Slash has come up with an interesting, not to say somewhat bizarre, explanation.

Here?s their account in full:

On the net, rumour has it that RCA has dropped Velvet Revolver. Slash says that while it is true that VR is no longer with RCA, the truth is not as negative as the rumour.

The band owed RCA money for a third album which at this time they are unable to produce (no singer). The band and RCA parted amicably. When they are recording the new album, it most likely will be for a new label.

Now while we at the Clog aren?t exactly experts in the machinations of the music industry, this doesn?t really make too much sense to us. Like? because VR were in hock to their record company, plus they didn?t have a frontman, RCA were more than happy to see ?em sail off into the sunset? Hmm?

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/more-on-that-velvet-revolverrca-split/

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 01:20:44 PM »

They left RCA out of their own freewill and they fired Scott Weiland.

The mountain of lies keeps getting taller.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 01:57:44 PM »

VELVET REVOLVER Manager Says Band 'Asked' To Be Released From RCA - Nov. 25, 2008

The following press release has been issued by VELVET REVOLVER's publicist:

Finding the new lead singer for VELVET REVOLVER is a formidable task, and the remaining members knew this would be the case when they dismissed their former singer, Scott Weiland. So in June 2008, Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and Dave Kushner approached RCA Records and asked to be released from their recording contract, as they felt they needed to have complete freedom to go through whatever process it would take to accomplish the goal?freedom from any timelines, pressures, influences or interests other than finding THE best guy. RCA Records honored the band's request.

Carl Stubner, the band's manager, says: "We're incredibly grateful to RCA and Ashley Newton for their passion and hard work and for the success they achieved with VELVET REVOLVER through the band's first two records. The band is thankful that RCA understood the task at hand and has allowed the band to continue on their own." Stubner added: "This band is comprised of some of the greatest rock musicians of the past three decades. They have built a brand with a solid foundation on a global level. And their sole focus has been, and continues to be, finding the singer/songwriter who will stand alongside them."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=109601

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: