Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2024, 06:55:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228344 Posts in 43273 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy is alive and well: a song by song review
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy is alive and well: a song by song review  (Read 4171 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: November 14, 2008, 01:08:28 PM »

Chinese Democracy is alive and well: a song by song review of the new Guns N' Roses album

Posted: November 14, 2008

The new record from Guns N' Roses is a scorcher. Hard to believe I'm actually writing these words, but Guns N' Roses is back. Axl Rose rules and his new 14 tracks are going to make lots of non-believers freak out. Thursday, we had a sneak preview of the record and man oh man, the first single Chinese Democracy does not indicate the direction of the album: the thing is vintage GNR, and makes you think that Slash, Duff and Izzy were little more than well-dressed sidemen. We'll have a full review posted on Tuesday, but after giving this thing a test drive, let no man question the genius of Axl -- Guns N' Roses, the best album of 2008? Could very well be. Rock on.   

Song by song review: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2008/11/14/chinese-democracy-is-alive-and-well.aspx

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 01:14:31 PM »

Wow just wow, so many glaring mistakes in there it's just embarrassing...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »

Chinese Democracy is alive and well: a song by song review of the new Guns N' Roses album

Posted: November 14, 2008

The new record from Guns N' Roses is a scorcher. Hard to believe I'm actually writing these words, but Guns N' Roses is back. Axl Rose rules and his new 14 tracks are going to make lots of non-believers freak out. Thursday, we had a sneak preview of the record and man oh man, the first single Chinese Democracy does not indicate the direction of the album: the thing is vintage GNR, and makes you think that Slash, Duff and Izzy were little more than well-dressed sidemen. We'll have a full review posted on Tuesday, but after giving this thing a test drive, let no man question the genius of Axl -- Guns N' Roses, the best album of 2008? Could very well be. Rock on.   

Song by song review: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2008/11/14/chinese-democracy-is-alive-and-well.aspx

Weird, he says the album is great, then just kills two or three songs... Hmmmm... What the hell kind of review is that?
overmatik
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 01:16:31 PM »

Wow, let's calm down a little. I mean: "the thing is vintage GNR, and makes you think that Slash, Duff and Izzy were little more than well-dressed sidemen." The album will be good, but let's not go as far a saying BS like that... In the same way we criticize bad reviews let's not idolize people just for saying good things about the album.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:18:25 PM »

He answered that...

by Ben Kaplan
Nov 14 2008

I was only allowed to listen to it once in the office of the record label. And this isn't a review, it's a preview.

Negleyjj
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:21:01 PM »

This is a pretty badly written review. He messes up the lyrics of Street of Dreams (he writes lyrics from Better), says Shackler's Revenge is vintage Appetite, and compares Riad to Alice in Chains. Ignoring whether I agree or disagree with the conclusions, it's a strange article. I'll wait for the full one on Tuesday before I make any real judgments though.
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 01:21:29 PM »

He answered that...

by Ben Kaplan
Nov 14 2008

I was only allowed to listen to it once in the office of the record label. And this isn't a review, it's a preview.

Exactly.

Yes he made mistakes, especially with some lyrics.

Yes he said some songs were bad, even terrible.

But he did say his overall impression of the album was very, very good. This is what is important.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
mrarkadin
Headliner

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 01:36:01 PM »

He didn't like 3 of 14 songs. That happens. I could pick out a couple songs on just about any classic album that I don't like--even Appetite. That he seemed to love 11 of 14 on a first listen, and was very enthusiastic (mistakes and all) is very good. 

As for the mistakes, who but a super-fan is going to pick that stuff out? I have a friend who is constantly mocking the dolphins in the November Rain video. Why quibble over minor facts?
reed2009
Headliner

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 01:36:37 PM »

what a douche

scraped
mrarkadin
Headliner

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 01:40:18 PM »

Wow, let's calm down a little. I mean: "the thing is vintage GNR, and makes you think that Slash, Duff and Izzy were little more than well-dressed sidemen." The album will be good, but let's not go as far a saying BS like that... In the same way we criticize bad reviews let's not idolize people just for saying good things about the album.

It's the humorous, hyperbolic style of writing--I doubt he really thinks Radiohead is just a wimpy navel gazing band. But he seems earnest in his praise.
AC
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 01:45:34 PM »

I think a lot of people are trying to be the "first reviewer" of this album, and it's just not realistic. Almost sounds like he reviewed the album based on the 9 leaks, the sound clips from the promo videos that were leaked, and any other promo material found.

It's simply BS what he says about the song Chinese Democracy. Everyone I know that's heard that and is not a huge GN'R fan has said they think it's classic GN'R at their best.

a.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
Shaggins13
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »

Very few albums get a 1-14 "all songs are amazing" review.  There are few albums in history that I would put in that category...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »

At least I know I can be a music writer or a review person if my other career doesn't work out.

Where do they find these fucking people?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Black Betty
Headliner

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 01:59:52 PM »

He's right, its no Appetite. It's Chinese Democracy ya f'n Bozo.
demanding_GNR_rock
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:17 PM »

Perhaps the guys just so f**king blown away hes lost all sense of word and meaning yes
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 02:11:16 PM »

He didn't like 3 of 14 songs. That happens. I could pick out a couple songs on just about any classic album that I don't like--even Appetite. That he seemed to love 11 of 14 on a first listen, and was very enthusiastic (mistakes and all) is very good. 

As for the mistakes, who but a super-fan is going to pick that stuff out? I have a friend who is constantly mocking the dolphins in the November Rain video. Why quibble over minor facts?

I agree.  I was surprised by reading the first paragraph of the review or preview, that he didn't like some of the songs.  Not the best review, but his overall impression of the album is very good.

There are a lot more of these to come.

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 02:18:19 PM »

this review is actually accurate...

"Sorry" is a masterpiece, Bach is amazing in this song. It's very unlike anything Axl has done.

"Scraped" is the "don't you try to stop us now" lyric in the clips... and it's comparison to My World, but more tolerable.

Catcher in the Rye is the same basically as we've all heard.

"This I love" is yet to be heard by anyone. I'm so excited by this! oMG

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 02:23:33 PM »

Not sure it's necessary to jump all over the guy.  It's his opinion.  And I took that "preview" as pretty darn positive overall.  I'm gonna love all 14 songs, no doubt.  But I can't expect everyone to like them all.  I'd gladly take 11 out of 14.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 02:26:56 PM »

Not sure it's necessary to jump all over the guy.  It's his opinion.  And I took that "preview" as pretty darn positive overall.  I'm gonna love all 14 songs, no doubt.  But I can't expect everyone to like them all.  I'd gladly take 11 out of 14.

Does anybody expect a reviewer who might not be a fan to instantly like all the tracks?

It takes fans more than one listen to appreciate the album too, why would it be any different for a reviewer?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 02:29:48 PM »

Does anybody expect a reviewer who might not be a fan to instantly like all the tracks?

It takes fans more than one listen to appreciate the album too, why would it be any different for a reviewer?

/jarmo
Exactly.  The fact that the guy liked 11 of the songs right off the bat is extremely positive.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: