Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 06:46:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 443561 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #2120 on: November 25, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »

the economy has gotten desperately worse since last year too. 

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #2121 on: November 25, 2009, 10:10:18 AM »

Really?? I remember the economy being at its worst around this time last year...

Things are heating up within the last couple of months.. Sales are up in many categories recently...

Balls to that theory
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #2122 on: November 25, 2009, 11:58:38 AM »

That is a complete fallacy.  Things are much better now than they were this time a year ago
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #2123 on: November 25, 2009, 12:01:39 PM »

That is a complete fallacy.  Things are much better now than they were this time a year ago

Yeah. And I still maintain that Bon Jovi did and continues to do all the things GNR "should do" and they still didn't do the numbers CD did in the first week. They weren't even up against the same competition CD was (Kayne, etc)

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #2124 on: November 25, 2009, 12:10:55 PM »

Not to mention that the GNR album was only available in about 850 stores in the US compared to tens of thousands like Bon Jovi's album
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #2125 on: November 25, 2009, 01:29:50 PM »

A friend of mine said that CD is back in the top 200, can someone double check that for me?

Thanks.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2126 on: November 25, 2009, 01:48:36 PM »

Yeah. And I still maintain that Bon Jovi did and continues to do all the things GNR "should do" and they still didn't do the numbers CD did in the first week. They weren't even up against the same competition CD was (Kayne, etc)

its like comparing apples and oranges..Bon Jovi puts out albums on a regular basis, this is their 7th album this decade, plus a box set.  Their concerts also outsell everyone in the world.  They were the top grossing touring act in the world in 2008.   There are die hard Bon Jovi fans that go to every show but dont pick up every album he puts out, and he still debuts at number 1 on the charts more often than not.  

Having said that I dont understand why people are so hung up on the numbers "Chinese Democracy" did.  I think it is fair to say it sold far under everyones expectations, who gives a shit?  Get over it.    I cant speak for the other countries but here in America there is still a very large amount of people who dont even think it is Guns N Roses and wont even give the record a chance because it is not the original line up(I have been able to convert a bunch of these fans, but I cant get to them all).  Yes we can argue the legitimacy of their claims back and forth, but at the end of the day it still prevents them from buying the record thus affecting album sales.  Plus the album sounds nothing like old GNR music, so  that turns some old school fans off.  But again I ask why does everyone have to love the album?  If you factor in all the negativity that Axl was going up against right from the start, a platinum certified record is far from a disappointment.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:58:50 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #2127 on: November 26, 2009, 03:05:44 PM »

GNR fans have been waiting for CD for 15~ years. Bon Jovi put out an album every few years, and they have one or two good singles and a throwaway rest of the album. Not really all that comparable. CD was hyped and was expected to be an epic, which it was... but it's not "Appetite", which the Slash fanboys wanted.

The new Bon Jovi album is mediocre. It's promotion and name value alone that is selling it at all, since word of mouth can't be helping.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2128 on: December 14, 2009, 11:21:26 AM »

From a Blabbermouth.net article dated December 10th:

The upcoming worldwide tour promotes the band's latest album, "Chinese Democracy", which debuted at #1 on the charts in thirteen countries including Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Finland, Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Poland, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, as well as the European Top 100 Albums survey.

"Chinese Democracy" was released on Black Frog/Geffen Records in November 2008 and reached three times platinum in Canada, platinum in Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Romania, Switzerland, U.K., Argentina, New Zealand and South Africa. The album is gold in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Greece, Hungary, Holland, Sweden, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Brazil and Colombia. In the U.S., the album was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on February 3, 2009.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #2129 on: December 14, 2009, 12:06:51 PM »

Platinum in the US ?

Good. It sold discreetly but steadily and these figures are encouraging.
This album will probably sell for a long time,especially now with the band touring.

Nothing to say
sworrm
Rocker

« Reply #2130 on: December 14, 2009, 12:39:23 PM »

Platinum in the fact that they have given a million copies to retailers to sell but i think they have only sold around six hundred thousand. I still think with a full tour, videos and singles and they could still shift a lot more copies. Big ballads have been the main reason Appetite and Illusion sold so many (Sweet Child, Nov rain) and Street of Dreams or This i love could take off if promoted properly.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #2131 on: December 14, 2009, 12:50:02 PM »

http://www.billboard.com/#/charts-year-end/the-billboard-200?year=2009&begin=41&order=position

Chinese Democracy was #55 on the Billboard 200 for the year 2009.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2132 on: December 14, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »

http://www.billboard.com/#/charts-year-end/the-billboard-200?year=2009&begin=41&order=position

That's pretty good.

Anyone know where it placed in 2008?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #2133 on: December 14, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »

That's pretty good.

Wow, what a pleasant surprise. I have to assume 08 was pretty low because it was only available for a few weeks in that year.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2134 on: December 14, 2009, 01:14:03 PM »

That's pretty good.

Wow, what a pleasant surprise. I have to assume 08 was pretty low because it was only available for a few weeks in that year.

it was actually one of the top 25 selling albums of 2008 suprisingly enough

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #2135 on: December 14, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »

No Promotion

No Video Clip

No Interview

Good Ranking 2009 # 55... In 2010 Whit Clip Of BETTER + World Tour... ChinDem. Sold 6 Millions + 1.

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
AtariLegend
Not User Friendly
VIP

« Reply #2136 on: December 14, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »

ChinDem. Sold 6 Millions + 1.

Is there a source to the excact figure?
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #2137 on: January 04, 2010, 01:18:48 AM »

I will ask again. When does the best buy deal end? When will CD be sold at other stores in the U.S.? Thank you.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
plissken2013
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #2138 on: January 04, 2010, 05:31:54 AM »

ChinDem. Sold 6 Millions + 1.

Is there a source to the excact figure?

Of course not. But I have REAL sources (that I won't mention, they're top secret), and according to them, Chinese democracy has reached ten millions copies worldwide. With ONE video in 2010, yeah, just with ONE video, it'll reach 15 million in 2010, then probably 20 million in 2012. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:05:14 AM by plissken2013 » Logged

I see the light at the end of the tunnel now
Someone please tell me it's not a train
Cracker

Political correctness is for dumbasses

Mods are the new Hitlers
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #2139 on: January 04, 2010, 07:20:19 AM »

well, i was skeptical when i heard it was 5 million.  now a month or two later people are suggesting 6?  or was that poster just kidding around?
surely Guns would be the most talked about band if they have shifted 6 million copies without any promotion til last month.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: