Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 07:36:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 443573 times)
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #1800 on: March 02, 2009, 04:14:52 PM »

The top 20 selling albums worldwide in 2008:

1. Coldplay -- "Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends"
2. AC/DC -- "Black Ice"
3. Various Artists -- "Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack Featuring The Songs Of ABBA"
4. Duffy -- "Rockferry"
5. Metallica -- "Death Magnetic"
6. Leona Lewis -- "Spirit "
7. Amy Winehouse -- "Back To Black"
8. Various Artists -- "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
9. Lil Wayne -- "Tha Carter III"
10. Rihanna -- "Good Girl Gone Bad"
11. Madonna -- "Hard Candy"
12. Beyonce -- "I Am... Sasha Fierce"
13. Pink -- "Funhouse"
14. Guns N' Roses -- "Chinese Democracy"
15. Britney Spears -- "Circus"
16. Jack Johnson -- "Sleep Through The Static"
17. Il Divo -- "The Promise"
18. Taylor Swift -- "Fearless"
19. Jonas Brothers -- "A Little Bit Longer"
20. Various Artists -- "Camp Rock"

So much for "laying an egg". That's with no tour or promotion of any kind.

Yes, but we are talking about "THE MOST ANTICIPATED ALBUM OF THE DECADE", according to one of the Best Buy posters I stole at the CD listening party.

Should have been Top 3 in this industry full of no-talent, here today, gone today acts.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1801 on: March 02, 2009, 04:35:20 PM »

mind you it had just a month to go and in the biggest market which is the us  the physical copies have been only available from 1400 best buy stores.
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #1802 on: March 02, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »

mind you it had just a month to go and in the biggest market which is the us  the physical copies have been only available from 1400 best buy stores.

let's not forget that you can buy it online thru best buy and Itunes too.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1803 on: March 02, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »

i can't buy it thru best buy for sure. Kiss

and how many non gnr forum frequent guests would check bestbuy com for gnr?
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #1804 on: March 02, 2009, 05:06:56 PM »

the some amount of people who would just go to the store looking to see if it's out.

Beside you said it was only available at 1400 bb in the states m while that is true . it is also available onling .

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1805 on: March 02, 2009, 05:21:11 PM »

the some amount of people who would just go to the store looking to see if it's out.

Beside you said it was only available at 1400 bb in the states m while that is true . it is also available onling .
All albums are available online aren't they?  It's not as if Chinese Democracy was the first album ever to be available online.  However, it WAS the first album to be exclusively sold at Best Buy, which only has 1400 stores in the US.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #1806 on: March 02, 2009, 05:23:40 PM »

My point is some are trying to make the bb thing out like it was some extremely limited release.  Which it wasn't , You go to their store or to their online store....

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1807 on: March 02, 2009, 05:30:42 PM »

to my understandings the people that knew the cd release went to bb stores or the site and maybe they bought toasters as well.
and people went to walmart to buy christmas goods and saw the new acdc album hugely promoted.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1808 on: March 02, 2009, 05:32:13 PM »

My point is some are trying to make the bb thing out like it was some extremely limited release.  Which it wasn't , You go to their store or to their online store....
I realize your point but not everybody goes onto bestbuy.com to buy CD's.  In fact, not a lot of people go to Best Buy stores in general to buy CD's compared to all other places that sell CD's combined.  So it was a limited release.  Not sure you could debate against that.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #1809 on: March 02, 2009, 05:40:51 PM »

I realize your point but not everybody goes onto bestbuy.com to buy CD's.  In fact, not a lot of people go to Best Buy stores in general to buy CD's compared to all other places that sell CD's combined.  So it was a limited release.  Not sure you could debate against that.

limited would have been if you could buy the album at a few mom and papa store . Not one of the  largest electronics store in the states.

Ac/Dc did well cause cause they got off their ass's and promoted their album. plus wal- mart spent more then bb did with Cd. But still a good chunk was promoting which Cd didn't get from the band nor the  label.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1810 on: March 02, 2009, 05:43:43 PM »

limited would have been if you could buy the album at a few mom and papa store . Not one of the  largest electronics store in the states.

Ac/Dc did well cause cause they got off their ass's and promoted their album. plus wal- mart spent more then bb did with Cd. But still a good chunk was promoting which Cd didn't get from the band nor the  label.

Plus the sheer fact that there are A LOT more Wal-Mart's than Best Buy's.  I'm not gonna compare the 2 as far as the promotion or backing from the band and/or label.  There's no comparison there, but there's also no comparison between Wal-Mart and Best Buy as far as CD sales go. 

*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #1811 on: March 02, 2009, 05:46:06 PM »

Yes wal mart has more stores.

Still a bb release isn't a limited one by any stretch.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1812 on: March 02, 2009, 05:54:28 PM »

Yes wal mart has more stores.

Still a bb release isn't a limited one by any stretch.
How is it not limited when you can buy most major albums at all major media outlets and you can only buy Chinese Democracy at Best Buy?  I don't get that logic.  Yes I realize you can buy it online, you can buy anything online so if you're going by that than there's no such thing as a limited release.  So why would Wal-Mart or Best Buy bother with these exclusive deals?

*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #1813 on: March 02, 2009, 06:01:11 PM »

being sold at 1400 places ain't no limited release.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1814 on: March 02, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »

No offense, but you obviously do not understand the concept of limited release.  It's determined by # of retailers, not # of stores that exclusive retailer has.  Furthermore, there are many parts of the country that are not littered with Best Buys, so it's not exactly easy for some people to get to one.

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1815 on: March 02, 2009, 06:09:44 PM »

What's the magical number for a limited release?

A regular album is sold at independent record stores, Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc etc.

Would a Walmart exclusive be a limited release too?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1816 on: March 02, 2009, 06:30:16 PM »

I don't really like using Best Buy as an excuse. Even Axl said they were doing a great job.

Label put no promotional money behind it and none of the singles caught fire.

It isn't rocket science.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1817 on: March 02, 2009, 06:31:31 PM »

Best Buy has 850-860 stores in the US which is the only country where the deal is exclusive
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #1818 on: March 02, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »

Best Buy has 850-860 stores in the US which is the only country where the deal is exclusive

Like that makes such a drastic change..

if it were under a 100 then yeah. or if they only ship say 50 -100k of the albums to the stores , but they had over a million .

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1819 on: March 02, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »

Let me say that CD has been selling at my local independent record store for a few months now. The price isn't great (around $18) and it isn't very visible in the store but it's there.  Don't know how widespread this might be.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: