Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 09:09:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 445457 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1240 on: December 22, 2008, 09:23:43 AM »

Could it simply be that outside the GNR fanbase people don't really care anymore about Guns N Roses?

Seems like you people want to keep repeating that over and over again.

The amusing thing is that you're also from Finland like otgm who also says nobody cares.

Of all people, I wouldn't expect people from Finland to say that considering the great success GN'R has there. The album was #1, the shows sold out in minutes in 2006......

If people didn't care, the album wouldn't be bough or downloaded illegally. But that's not true.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1241 on: December 22, 2008, 09:48:36 AM »

I will even say more Mister Buddha (strange nick for a person who talks that way...): I don't compare CD to what's out there NOW, I just say that it is an average good album. There many many records made and still be made which are and will be better. I like CD as I already stated but most rock listeners don't.

So in your opninion, if someone says that CD is just an average good album and nothing more, shouldn't post that here? Eventhough the person as such likes the album?
'average good' is not equal to bad!! It seems you do not understand that. Evenmore, what the fuck is wrong with the fact someone likes the album but not as much as you do apparently!?

Nothing is wrong with having an opinion....but you have to respect it both ways.

You can say you think CD is average/good, and someone can come along and tell you they think your opinion sucks.  Not that YOU suck...that would be insulting a poster, and against the rules.  But they have every right to tell YOU what THEIR opinion is, too.  You want to be able to express yours...why can't they express theirs?

FYI, I agree with most of the posters who disagree with you, though maybe a bit more tactfully.  I think saying "Black Ice" is a better album than CD pretty much qualifies your opinion for me.  Not that there's anything WRONG with Black Ice...it's a solid AC/DC album, to be sure.  But it's also the same album they've made before...it sounds very similar to every other AC/DC album, to me.  If that, to you, makes it a great album...more power to you.  But my tastes, and opinions, are going to be pretty far off of yours.  Personally, I think CD is probably the best complete rock album (and not just a single wrapped in crap) I've heard since American Idiot.  It's certainly better than 90% of the stuff I hear that's been released this year.  Whether it grows on me into a "classic", like AFD and UYI did....I don't know yet.  I think it probably will   So far it's getting pretty good play on my changer, and I haven't gotten tired of it, yet.  I also find myself listening to the WHOLE album, and not just specific songs off of it.  Another good sign.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:53:39 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
badobsession_r21
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1242 on: December 22, 2008, 10:00:26 AM »

Gold in Greece :

http://www.ifpi.gr/chart01.htm

athens 24-5-1993
dublin 9-6-2006
athens 10-7-2006
rome 4-9-2010
arnhem 3-10-2010
sofia 8-7-2012
mrarkadin
Headliner

« Reply #1243 on: December 22, 2008, 10:43:18 AM »

Radiohead Ok computer is better, arguably Hail to the thief also.
Id rate the newest ...The Verve album on par with CD....maybe even higher (CD has a greater range and variety...whereas I feel The Verve shit on songs like Madagascar, in a similar vein)
Nick Cave Let Love In
Arguably various lesser know albums / bands - depending on taste....but there are numerous brilliant massively original albums out there by barely known acts if u have an open mind and willing to get out of the cocoon. Remember The velvet Underground and various other artists were not commercially huge acts but released groundbreaking music at the time....if u look there are similar artists now. Too many people on here are so musically close minded.
Personally Id rate The Strokes last album above CD.....for me its the most genuine raw and brilliant pure rock album since AFD.

That said CD is an excellent album, worthy of the GNR name.....for my personal tastes I feel it is overproduced in parts , and the production on IRS and TWAT is a mystery....both sound muffled and strange??, like demo's when compared to the production on the title track......and the rock songs whilst very well played/recorded really are very average 'songs'

Most of those bands, good as they are, sold less than Chinese will sell. Maybe that was your point?
RE: Rock songs on Chinese.
It really is all subjective opinion. I haven't listened to Appetite for Destruction all the way through in 10 years... I'm mostly into neo-surrealist and minimalist classical music, along with various electronic composers, Bach, indie-rock, Bowie, Eno, Talking Heads, post-punk--you get the idea. For me, though, there's very little of greater amusement than Chinese Democracy. Right now I'm fixated on some of the little touches in Shackler's Revenge--the deep backing growls or whatever, Bucket's opening maelstrom, Axl's little deep voice on the chorus and the production on the "nobody is stopping you now" section. So, maybe that's over production, but I think those deep background growls, in themselves, are worth at least two raw rockers by the Pretty Things. And the album is loaded with that stuff. It's a crazy, over the top album loaded with little nuances.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1244 on: December 22, 2008, 10:53:15 AM »

Most of those bands, good as they are, sold less than Chinese will sell. Maybe that was your point?
RE: Rock songs on Chinese.
It really is all subjective opinion. I haven't listened to Appetite for Destruction all the way through in 10 years... I'm mostly into neo-surrealist and minimalist classical music, along with various electronic composers, Bach, indie-rock, Bowie, Eno, Talking Heads, post-punk--you get the idea. For me, though, there's very little of greater amusement than Chinese Democracy. Right now I'm fixated on some of the little touches in Shackler's Revenge--the deep backing growls or whatever, Bucket's opening maelstrom, Axl's little deep voice on the chorus and the production on the "nobody is stopping you now" section. So, maybe that's over production, but I think those deep background growls, in themselves, are worth at least two raw rockers by the Pretty Things. And the album is loaded with that stuff. It's a crazy, over the top album loaded with little nuances.

That's what keeps me coming back....those little sonic nuances.  Almost every time I listen to the album, I hear something "new", that I hadn't noticed before.  I LOVE that about CD.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
otgm
Opening Act

Personal text

« Reply #1245 on: December 22, 2008, 12:35:04 PM »

And would that be a bad thing? I mean we got one of the greatest records ever put out and this is all some people can talk about. Roll Eyes

GN'R aren't the biggest band anymore.  crying

One of the greatest records ever? CD? Did I miss something? Grin

Average  Huh

What is a good album for you then ?

This wasn't directed to me but I'll answer anyways. Some good albums: London Calling by The Clash, AFD by Guns N' Roses, Southern Harmony & Musical Companion by The Black Crowes, Sticky Fingers by The Stones, UYI's by GNR, 7th Son Of A 7th Son by Iron Maiden (a band that Axl despised 'cause they didn't play rock 'n' roll in his opinion),  Get Your Wings by Aerosmith, Rust In Peace by Megadeth, Raw Power by Iggy & The Stooges, Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche. These are only a few examples of a good album, all are better than CD IMO. Although CD is alright, too.

Sorry for the off-topic, although it seems like this thread has gone off the tracks a long time ago.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 12:41:08 PM by otgm » Logged

Been hidin' out and layin' low
It's nuthin' new ta me
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #1246 on: December 22, 2008, 03:29:11 PM »

Thankx for your list otgm, but as we all know this is just one's opinion, and by mine I don't see why CD cannot be in that list.

If I read you alright, CD isn't up there with previous albums from GN'R ?

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
ecwfan
Rocker

« Reply #1247 on: December 22, 2008, 03:31:20 PM »

Thankx for your list otgm, but as we all know this is just one's opinion, and by mine I don't see why CD cannot be in that list.

I personally rank CD as the 3rd best album Guns n Roses has done. Behind "AfD" and "Use your Illusion #1".  It ranks as 3rd to me ...some have put it as 4th after G'n'R Lies from people I talk to.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #1248 on: December 22, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »

''Chinese Democracy'' jumped from position #24 to #4 in Mexico

http://www.billboardenespanol.com/musica/content_display/noticias/ultimas-noticias/e3id78469d8113685395c70b1636718abc7

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #1249 on: December 22, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »

GunsNRoses new music is great, but people have to understand that just because they waited so long for it, it doesnt mean its gonna change life or music itself.
otgm
Opening Act

Personal text

« Reply #1250 on: December 22, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »

No it's not, you read me spot on. Don't know how anyone could rate CD on par with say, AFD or even UYI's but I guess some folks really do. I can accept that no problem.

Been hidin' out and layin' low
It's nuthin' new ta me
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #1251 on: December 22, 2008, 08:28:47 PM »

GNR down to #34 this week BUT  with an increase of sales to 55,809.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
ecwfan
Rocker

« Reply #1252 on: December 23, 2008, 12:18:21 AM »

I think the album will sell constantly 50,000-40,000 for weeks and then one day we'll hear it went platinum . Those who wrote it off will have massive egg on their faces and still claim its not doing this or that. But here we are...its gotta be close to going Gold here ...and it has nothing but the power of word of mouth and radio going for it.
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #1253 on: December 23, 2008, 02:30:34 AM »

GunsNRoses new music is great, but people have to understand that just because they waited so long for it, it doesnt mean its gonna change life or music itself.

Not because we've waited so long but because it is that good Wink - IMHO.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1254 on: December 23, 2008, 03:05:18 AM »

I like it to be a trend,but if you look at the complete chart all albums have a better selling last week
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #1255 on: December 23, 2008, 10:45:30 AM »

I like it to be a trend,but if you look at the complete chart all albums have a better selling last week

Yeah I noticed that too, but did not want to dwell on the negative I guess.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1256 on: December 23, 2008, 12:17:08 PM »

Yeah I noticed that too, but did not want to dwell on the negative I guess.
I'm not negative,because i don't care for selling....
for me chinese democracy is great album,and idon't care for asholles
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #1257 on: December 23, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »

These lyrics come to mind: "Don't you try to stop us now.........I just refuse!"
And: "No one ever told me when I was alone. They just thought I'd know better"

It's funny when you look back now. Most of us thought that Chinese Democracy would never be released. That it was an inside joke. Axl didn't even have to bother with another cd. He has made enough money to survive for the rest of his natural life. Yet because he has a certain admiration towards his fans he released a cd for us. I really don't think he cares about conquering planet Earth a third time. He and his associates already did. G&R are now a exclusive group for his exclusive fans. Obviously if he really wanted to he could of promoted and market the hell out of this cd. But why bother. I think he came out on top once again. That's a beautiful thing taking all things under consideration. : )
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #1258 on: December 23, 2008, 04:02:31 PM »

Some people just love to put Axl down and this is just another reason.

This CD is an Opus - but very different from the old Gn'R.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
aussiegunner
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1259 on: December 23, 2008, 04:18:45 PM »

I have been thinking... If the members that frequently visit this board banded together.. Would make up 1000-2000 people maybe?... If we made a day for everyone that wants to see Chinese sales dramatically increase for that week, say if we bought 5 copies each on a certain day... Between 2000 people thats 10,000 copies in one day! I come from Australia, so I will have to buy a shitload more than 5 copies.. I know it sounds dumb, but it would really fuck the figures up in favour of Chinese Dem.

"World buy the fuck out of Chinese Democracy day".

Set a date and lets see who jumps onboard.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: