Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 02:49:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 446330 times)
mr. moustache
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1200 on: December 19, 2008, 05:54:11 PM »

The reason I say you're blind to music is you think nothing even comes close to CD so there's no way someone could prefer somethign different. Records I like more:

portishead - third - Best comeback of 2008, better than their earlier albums if I do say so myself. The tension on silence is better than anything on cd. The perfect sounds of hunter and the rip are also better.

Beck - Modern Guilt - really an awesome collection of beck tunes, he's taken his last 3 records and taken what's best about them put in to one sweet sweet album.

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular - It's like the 60's psychedelic for the new millennium, really nothing else like it right now

why? - alopecia - I know this won't go over well here, this is a classic rock forum really. But I like it much much more than cd. Absolutly nothing like it

Keep in mind these are opinions, I'm just proving a point that you shouldnt be ripping up prez because he thinks its an average album.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1201 on: December 19, 2008, 05:55:13 PM »

nothing released in the last 10 years touches Chinese Democracy IMO.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1202 on: December 19, 2008, 06:00:02 PM »

Funny that you should mention it, but most of the critics and AC/DC fans seem to think that Black Ice actually is much much better than Stiff Upper Lip. So maybe quality of the album counts? Like you said shitloads of ppl heard Chinese D on myspace, so I think that was good marketing. Why didn't those folks hurry to go get their copies of the album?

Quality?

You think the millions who bought it actually listened to more than just the single on the radio? If they even heard that.

Since when does sales prove something has better quality?

Britney Spears is better than most rock albums?

Why didn't those people buy it? Because they could get it for free.

I wouldn't be surprised if AC/DC has a bigger audience in the older groups of music fans. They don't necessarily download, they just go down to Walmart and get the album.

I know you like to point out that it's not GN'R blah blah blah. It's your "proof".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #1203 on: December 19, 2008, 06:12:25 PM »

How did a topic about the album's charting turn into an argument about ChiDem's artistic quality?

The album's sold 350,000 copies in 3 weeks.  I asked a friend who works in ad sales for radio his thoughts on an album that sells 350,000 in 3 weeks.  He said...that's an extremely respectable number.  Most albums takes weeks even months to hit their strides.  He said the expectations for the album were too high...people were expecting 1991 numbers in a deflated market.  And that was unrealistic.

Here's an interesting comaprison of Black Ice vs. ChiDem's exclusive deals.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/12/18/why-black-ice-beat-chinese-democracy-the-tale-of-wal-mart-vs-best-buy/

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
mr. moustache
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1204 on: December 19, 2008, 06:15:55 PM »

"There is a silver lining, however, as Rose?s epic can expect a huge bump in strip club spins after two Chinese Democracy songs were sent on a music sampler sent to over 2,500 exotic dancing spots. "

That's fucking fresh! hah

EDIT:
What do you guys think? If the world for sure, and sorry maybe? You'd think prostitute lol but that doesn't sound fitting
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:17:27 PM by mr. moustache » Logged
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1205 on: December 19, 2008, 06:16:54 PM »

How did a topic about the album's charting turn into an argument about ChiDem's artistic quality?

Cuz theres haters who are trying to say the quality of the album sucks.

Hopefully next time I go to a strip club, I can get a lap dance to "Shacklers Revenge" or "Better"

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #1206 on: December 19, 2008, 06:19:02 PM »

The reason I say you're blind to music is you think nothing even comes close to CD so there's no way someone could prefer somethign different. Records I like more:

portishead - third - Best comeback of 2008, better than their earlier albums if I do say so myself. The tension on silence is better than anything on cd. The perfect sounds of hunter and the rip are also better.

Beck - Modern Guilt - really an awesome collection of beck tunes, he's taken his last 3 records and taken what's best about them put in to one sweet sweet album.

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular - It's like the 60's psychedelic for the new millennium, really nothing else like it right now

why? - alopecia - I know this won't go over well here, this is a classic rock forum really. But I like it much much more than cd. Absolutly nothing like it

Keep in mind these are opinions, I'm just proving a point that you shouldnt be ripping up prez because he thinks its an average album.

See, this shows what little you know. I like MGMT. That is indeed a great album. I played the fuck out of it earlier in the summer. Look man. I am sampling some of why? - alopecia as I type this. Pretty cool actually. See this is partly why I asked. I am always open to new things. Well, maybe not gay sex, not that there is anything wrong with that. I used to like Beck a lot. The whole Xenu thing is a turn off though. I will check this out as well but, I haven't really dug his last few and the Information got old for me quick. portishead - third. That is trippy as shit. I like it a lot.

Anyway, I respect you man. I respect you a lot more now then I did, and I sure as shit respect you more then the other dude who threw things out and backed his comments up.

... but saying that, yea there's no way someone could prefer these over Chinese motherfucking Democracy. Fucking crazy talk  hihi

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #1207 on: December 19, 2008, 06:42:42 PM »

I think Best Buy has a lot to do with the sales being sluggish. 

Linkin Park released an exclusive album with Best Buy 2 weeks ago.  The album entered the charts at #96.  Granted the album is B-Sides and rare tracks...but this is a band who just last year released an album to 600,000 first week sales.  Now 18 months later their new album sells barely 20,000 copies...

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #1208 on: December 19, 2008, 07:09:47 PM »

GNR # 19 on Rolling Stone Top 100 singles of 2008

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... the_year/5

19    "Better"
  BY GUNS N' ROSES    

Is it a love song? Or a career confessional? No matter: A welter of power chords and Axl Rose's banshee howl render such questions moot.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #1209 on: December 19, 2008, 07:18:46 PM »

Take it easy man, the guy is allowed to differ. AIt's a matter of taste.

that's why we'd love to know what album he thinks is better than this. and stunk what's average about the guitars? Huh

That's not what i meant. I meant just the guitars alone on this album would make me say it's better than an average good album.

Which is kind of my point. There are guitar parts on this album that some other bands wouldn't be able to replicate if they wanted to. Nevermind when you consider all other factors from orchestras to synths to vocals to production - it's just all of high quality. It's one thing to say subjectively that you prefer one type of music or another, or to say that one album has hit a higher artistic note.... but to try and say something objective and to say that "musically" this album wasn't at the very top this year is a big leap.
Gunzen
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1210 on: December 19, 2008, 10:37:31 PM »

Funny that you should mention it, but most of the critics and AC/DC fans seem to think that Black Ice actually is much much better than Stiff Upper Lip. So maybe quality of the album counts? Like you said shitloads of ppl heard Chinese D on myspace, so I think that was good marketing. Why didn't those folks hurry to go get their copies of the album?

Quality?

You think the millions who bought it actually listened to more than just the single on the radio? If they even heard that.

I wouldn't be surprised if AC/DC has a bigger audience in the older groups of music fans. They don't necessarily download, they just go down to Walmart and get the album.

I know you like to point out that it's not GN'R blah blah blah. It's your "proof".

/jarmo

Funny that you should mention it, but most of the critics and AC/DC fans seem to think that Black Ice actually is much much better than Stiff Upper Lip

that is like saying the Raiders are better than the Lions hihi

What makes it so good?  Is it the incredibly deep lyrical content Huh  the new guitar sounds,  Roll Eyes.

Is is a carbon copy of the last ten  Ac /Dc Cd's that have been released, and this time they just promoted it more and there is just less rock n roll to choose from.  Rock music is dying, and Ac/Dc and Mettalica will keep selling Cd's as lond as the keep Reloading their music.  And good for them, if it works, dont fix it.

But I am bored of that shit, and that is what makes Cd so damn good, it is just "different" and fresh.

King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #1211 on: December 19, 2008, 10:49:36 PM »

Thanks to my electricity being out for a fucking week, I missed out on the Q&A with Axl.

My question would have been, will "This I Love" be the next single after "Better" ?

I'm tellin' ya, if that song gets regular radio airplay, sales of Chinese Democracy will rebound huge.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #1212 on: December 20, 2008, 02:09:46 AM »

I have both the Beck and Portishead records....both nice records...I dig em both, especially the beck record....they are also GREAT background music records...but CD tops them both by far in actual sit down and listen catergory.  Yes my opinion.....but i dont go  go to the Beck forums and say how much better of an album is Chinese Democracy.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1213 on: December 20, 2008, 04:16:39 AM »

Man, I never thought I would see the day where GnR fans would seem almost pissed off, or offended, that AC/DC were doing well...
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #1214 on: December 20, 2008, 04:58:30 AM »

Man, I never thought I would see the day where GnR fans would seem almost pissed off, or offended, that AC/DC were doing well...
It's not that they're doing well. All power to them! It's that their album sucks a big one.

Axl's not immune from criticism. I hated Oh My God, for example, but Chinese is a great album, while Black Ice is not.
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #1215 on: December 20, 2008, 01:38:56 PM »

I can't understand how people expected CD to do better than ACDC or Metallica. Both bands have much bigger fanbases than gnr.

CD is miles better though quality wise, and that's the only thing that matters  ok

homo homini lupus...
Duffio
Rocker

uh oh, they're back...

« Reply #1216 on: December 20, 2008, 01:50:59 PM »

I can't understand how people expected CD to do better than ACDC or Metallica. Both bands have much bigger fanbases than gnr.

CD is miles better though quality wise, and that's the only thing that matters  ok

all three have huge fanbases, and share fanbases..
the problem is gnr is been off the radar (unless it's something negative) for far too long.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #1217 on: December 20, 2008, 01:58:26 PM »

CD is a masterwork that will never be understood by the masses. 

Axl's vocals on this are fucking sublime.  drool

He has a range on this cd that is off the charts incredible.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:01:34 PM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
otgm
Opening Act

Personal text

« Reply #1218 on: December 20, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »

Quality?

/jarmo

Of course the quality doesn't have anything to do with the sales now that CD is not doing so well. If it was selling shitloads it would naturally just prove the tremendous quality of the album.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 04:46:55 PM by otgm » Logged

Been hidin' out and layin' low
It's nuthin' new ta me
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1219 on: December 20, 2008, 05:07:14 PM »

Of course the quality doesn't have anything to do with the sales now that CD is not doing so well. If it was selling shitloads it would naturally just prove the tremendous quality of the album.

How original.

And when it didn't sell millions in its first week, that's your "proof" that nobody cares.

If it had sold all that, you would've just said it's because of the name and not about the quality.

So either way, you "win".

Since you're a fan of Izzy, I guess his albums must really suck since nobody buys them?

Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: