Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:23:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 471688 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1040 on: December 10, 2008, 02:37:11 PM »

Christina Aguilera's last album was a greatest hits package with some new songs released exclusively through Target in November.  It barely hit 100K its first week and was out of the top 50 in its third week of release.

Puts things in perspective.

She was on the AMAs performing, the album has been advertised on TV, she makes all kinds of appearances, appears in those gossip magazines etc and still sells less than GN'R.....

/jarmo

Jarmo, GNR promoted this as the most anticipated album EVER.... A lil different than Christina's "Greatest Hits"...

No, GN'R did not promote this as the most anticipated album ever.  GN'R hasn't really done any promotional work themselves.  It was everyone else that promoted the album as such. 

Another thing is that Christina is far more "hip" these days and has been active in recent years, as opposed to GN'R.  There's different things going on working in favor and against both.  Nonetheless, Christina's record was expected to sell more, too.

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1041 on: December 10, 2008, 02:37:52 PM »

Christina Aguilera's last album was a greatest hits package with some new songs released exclusively through Target in November.  It barely hit 100K its first week and was out of the top 50 in its third week of release.

She was on the AMAs performing, the album has been advertised on TV, she makes all kinds of appearances, appears in those gossip magazines etc and still sells less than GN'R.....

/jarmo

Jarmo, GNR promoted this as the most anticipated album EVER.... A lil different than Christina's "Greatest Hits"...
True but with little advertising on GNR's part

Little advertising?

Rock Band 2 - Shacklers Reveng
Movie soundtrack for If the World
Huge Free Promo from Dr. Pepper
Myspace Record for Listens
Radio Stations all over world played entire album on radio
Great Reviews from every huge major magazine
Two World Tours promoting this album (2002 and 2006)
Commercials on TV
Youtube Commercials

There was plenty of promotion for this album.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1042 on: December 10, 2008, 02:39:26 PM »

/jarmo

No, GN'R did not promote this as the most anticipated album ever.  GN'R hasn't really done any promotional work themselves.  It was everyone else that promoted the album as such. 

Another thing is that Christina is far more "hip" these days and has been active in recent years, as opposed to GN'R.  There's different things going on working in favor and against both.  Nonetheless, Christina's record was expected to sell more, too.

Ali

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, did you not see the promo in Best Buy?  Do you think that Best Buy made all that up and just threw GNR's logo on it?  On the Poster in Best Buy "The most Anticipated Album EVER", did anyone else see this poster?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1043 on: December 10, 2008, 02:41:13 PM »

Best Buy did.

They had the stickers and posters at their stores.

Funny seeing some of you complain about the lack of promotion and then others are insisting there was a huge amount of promotion...

GN'R can never win.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #1044 on: December 10, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »

/jarmo

True but with little advertising on GNR's part

Little advertising?

Rock Band 2 - Shacklers Reveng
Movie soundtrack for If the World
Huge Free Promo from Dr. Pepper
Myspace Record for Listens
Radio Stations all over world played entire album on radio
Great Reviews from every huge major magazine
Two World Tours promoting this album (2002 and 2006)
Commercials on TV
Youtube Commercials

There was plenty of promotion for this album.
The only thing on there that i think Axl approved was the sound track, Rock Band 2, and i think the magazine everything else was the recourd comp.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1045 on: December 10, 2008, 02:44:26 PM »

Best Buy did.

Funny seeing some of you complain about the lack of promotion and then others are insisting there was a huge amount of promotion...

GN'R can never win.

/jarmo

I think there was pretty good promotion.  I saw it a lot here in America.  Jarmo, I agree and I am not complaining.  I can't think of the last time I heard an entire album played without interuption on the radio.  That was impressive.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1046 on: December 10, 2008, 02:45:38 PM »

/jarmo

GnR promoted it that way?  Or Best Buy/UMG did?  There are also over two times as many Targets as there are Best Buys

Either way, why do you think AC/DC's album sold 5 times as many first week copies as their last album did?  Why did it sell as many copies in the first week as their last album has in the last 8 years?  Because it's just that amazing compared to Stiff Upper Lip?  I think it has to do more with the marketing.  Let's face it, Wal-Mart is where a lot of rural, small town people (who still buy CD's instead of downloading everything) shop.  A lot of people go to Wal-Mart multiple times a week and buy literally everything there.  I don't know how many people go to Best Buy every week, but I'm sure it's not even in the stratosphere of the 100 million+ that go to Wal-Mart every week.  Think about that for a second.  Wal-Mart has a buying customer base that equals one third of the US population every week

The Best Buy thing was an experiment.  Nobody has done this before with a major release of new music.  I doubt it's going to happen again any time soon.  In retrospect, this would be like people being shocked that a Spielberg movie that opened in 900 theaters didn't match the box office take of a Michael Bay movie that opened in 4000

I agree that the promotion of CD has been solid, but I think everyone failed to analyze the current music buying public.  They will buy music, if they don't have to go out of their way to do it.  I.e., they will go to Wal-Mart to buy beer and end up getting the AC/DC album just because it's there and it's only $10.  They won't devote a 40 minute round trip to Best Buy just to buy CD.  And Best Buy simply doesn't have the # of locations or the regular foot traffic to compete with Wal-Mart. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 02:49:04 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1047 on: December 10, 2008, 02:45:46 PM »

If the album had sold out in all Best Buy stores in a day, Smoking Guns would be saying it's due to the massive promotion.

If the album had not sold one single copy, Smoking Guns would say you can't say it's due to lack of promotion.

rofl

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #1048 on: December 10, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »

Best Buy did.

GN'R can never win.

/jarmo

I think that the people who complain of the lack of promotion, wanna see Axl out there ect.  Shacklers Revenge announcement was in July ! It's not like GnR hasn't done anything.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #1049 on: December 10, 2008, 02:46:02 PM »

Best Buy did.

GN'R can never win.

/jarmo
No its just GNR fans cant decide exactly what they want in almost every aspect and thats 1 of the things i love bout it all the different opinions and stuff

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1050 on: December 10, 2008, 02:49:20 PM »

/jarmo

it's a greatest hits album; of course it sold less than GnR
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #1051 on: December 10, 2008, 02:50:27 PM »

true we have been waitin for CD for 15 years

GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #1052 on: December 10, 2008, 02:50:34 PM »

Plus Better was played on Monday Night Football ! along with Scraped on Sunday Night Football a couple sunday's ago.  That's pretty big itself, its just people would rather listen to pop acts than rock music.  The album dropped dramtically, there is that one song that could just move that album back up with the force of lighting.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1053 on: December 10, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »

If the album had sold out in all Best Buy stores in a day, Smoking Guns would be saying it's due to the massive promotion.

If the album had not sold one single copy, Smoking Guns would say you can't say it's due to lack of promotion.

rofl

/jarmo

Jarmo!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What do you want me to say?  I don't know why its not selling out, but I think everyone knows the album is out... No doubt.  That is all I am saying.  It was pretty big news.
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #1054 on: December 10, 2008, 02:51:52 PM »

Plus Better was played on Monday Night Football ! along with Scraped on Sunday Night Football a couple sunday's ago.  That's pretty big itself, its just people would rather listen to pop acts than rock music.  The album dropped dramtically, there is that one song that could just move that album back up with the force of lighting.
no but 1 album can completely change everyone back to Rock and Roll and CD might do it
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:08:01 PM by Jdog0830 » Logged

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1055 on: December 10, 2008, 02:52:01 PM »

/jarmo

Point is that both albums sold well below what the retailers Target and Best Buy expected/projected they would
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1056 on: December 10, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »

rofl

/jarmo

Jarmo, what are your thoughts?  I think when the tour is announced that will help..
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #1057 on: December 10, 2008, 02:54:41 PM »

You know, I was just remembering this today. This summer I was sitting out in the sun, I think it was around July, right before the Shackler's Revenge news broke. I was listening to the new songs on bootleg and I remember thinking "Fucking hell, this is going to be so awesome to hear studio versions of these songs when it finally comes out one day". Little did I know that by the end of that same year I'd be sitting here with the album in my hands. Kinda puts things into perspective, don't you think? We have so much to be happy about that this really shouldn't be a time for complaining either way. Remember 2003-2005, that's all I'm saying...

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1058 on: December 10, 2008, 02:55:21 PM »

/jarmo

Point is that both albums sold well below what the retailers Target and Best Buy expected/projected they would

Agree, Best Buy and Target creates barries to entry in the marketplace because there are so few of them.  Ultimately that decision was GNR's Management/Axl.  I think if it was in every store, you would see more sales.  I agree.  But, everyone still knows the album is out, but maybe its too much effort to drive to Best Buy...
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #1059 on: December 10, 2008, 02:56:23 PM »

Well the people I know and see out at the clubs, I think this Chinese Democracy record is too hard for them to grasp lyrically and Musically. I mean this album doesn't have what young people can relate to like... Cars, Women, Jewelry, how many house you have, ect.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: