Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:19:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 471664 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1020 on: December 10, 2008, 11:55:29 AM »

How many units?

It's #1.

It can't be better than #1!  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
variant
Headliner

« Reply #1021 on: December 10, 2008, 11:56:27 AM »

The world number 1 is great until you read 640k units pushed. AC DC pushed 5 million worldwide in their first week.

And I probably am not alone in saying, the quality of Chinese Democracy is a Universe and a half above the level of that latest AC DC disk.

That because most people these days want the quick and easy hit of something reliable and familiar. They can't be arsed investing any time in an album like this.

I blame the internet, reality TV and Britney fucking Spears!
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #1022 on: December 10, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »

Well both the first single and the album went to the top of the charts where I live so sucks to be American, we rule. Tongue
Ok, that was a joke. I think.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1023 on: December 10, 2008, 12:07:20 PM »

How many units?

It's #1.

/jarmo

Everything is relative....
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #1024 on: December 10, 2008, 12:09:43 PM »

How many units?

It's #1.

/jarmo

Uh... confused
Sorry to break it to ya, but you might have to go back to kindergarten mathematics there, buddy... nervous
It doesn't get much better than #1. In fact, it doesn't.

Edit: I hope that was a joke.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

GN'R 2010!!!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1025 on: December 10, 2008, 12:15:34 PM »

How many units?

It's #1.

/jarmo

Uh... confused
Sorry to break it to ya, but you might have to go back to kindergarten mathematics there, buddy... nervous

Edit: I hope that was a joke.

What would GNR be world wide if they released Chinese Democracy the same week as AC/DC's Black Ice... GNR is #1 Relative to who released albums at the same time.  So it was GNR vs. the Killers I think.  Killers are big, and it is respectable...
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #1026 on: December 10, 2008, 12:21:31 PM »

Europe's had a way bigger rock market than the US for the last decade or so. You've only got to look at the kind of crowds GNR were pulling on their European jaunt in 2006 to see that.

And there goes the challenger...
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #1027 on: December 10, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »

It's still #1 on iTunes Finland.  Grin

And Top 10 in several other European iTunes stores.

/jarmo

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Europe understands this album and loves it! Kudos to Europa!

This is common with "older" bands in Europe (rock or other), they do quite well. America has a short shelf life. We act and think the way we are marketed to.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1028 on: December 10, 2008, 01:47:08 PM »

How many units?

It's #1.

/jarmo

Uh... confused

Actually, it is all relative... #1 is a ranking, it doesn't tell you much about how well an album is doing, just how well it is doing relative to other albums.
For example, there have been weeks in America where Chi Dem's 260,000 would have been #1, but the week it was released, it got #3 cos some other big acts were doing well. Does that mean it sold worse than the #1 from another week though? Not necessarily.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1029 on: December 10, 2008, 01:48:09 PM »

I have a question. Since this is an exclusive at best buy does that mean it will always be or is there a contract for a  certain amount of time or albums? I think I heard that best buy bought 3 million albums. But that could take a decade to sell and I don't think the numbers in the US will get better until it is released to all stores.

Best Buy bought 1.6 albums for $14 million, that is confirmed from a reliable source (Hitsdailydouble)

What I heard, though this is not confirmed, is that the exclusive deal lasts 6 months

The sales in the US have definitely been poor.  It's pretty obvious that from a sales perspective, the Best Buy experiment has been a total failure

From a business and artistic standpoint, it worked because the label was able to basically recoup recording costs before selling a single unit and Axl didn't have to edit his album for Wal-Mart censors

But I think it's safe to say there won't be any major acts doing exclusive Best Buy releases for new material any time soon.  

In recent months, Best Buy and Target both tried to follow Wal-Mart's lead in this and both have failed.  Christina Aguilera's last album was a greatest hits package with some new songs released exclusively through Target in November.  It barely hit 100K its first week and was out of the top 50 in its third week of release.  This is the first time either Best Buy or Target has done this and it hasn't worked for either of them.  They just don't have the money, the clientele, or the foot traffic to make it work the way Wal-Mart does
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #1030 on: December 10, 2008, 02:07:23 PM »

There's something like 5 times as many Wal-Marts than Best Buy's in the States.

You can't do anything about that.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1031 on: December 10, 2008, 02:13:01 PM »

Christina Aguilera's last album was a greatest hits package with some new songs released exclusively through Target in November.  It barely hit 100K its first week and was out of the top 50 in its third week of release.

Puts things in perspective.

She was on the AMAs performing, the album has been advertised on TV, she makes all kinds of appearances, appears in those gossip magazines etc and still sells less than GN'R.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1032 on: December 10, 2008, 02:19:23 PM »

I have a question. Since this is an exclusive at best buy does that mean it will always be or is there a contract for a  certain amount of time or albums? I think I heard that best buy bought 3 million albums. But that could take a decade to sell and I don't think the numbers in the US will get better until it is released to all stores.

Best Buy bought 1.6 albums for $14 million, that is confirmed from a reliable source (Hitsdailydouble)

What I heard, though this is not confirmed, is that the exclusive deal lasts 6 months

The sales in the US have definitely been poor.  It's pretty obvious that from a sales perspective, the Best Buy experiment has been a total failure

From a business and artistic standpoint, it worked because the label was able to basically recoup recording costs before selling a single unit and Axl didn't have to edit his album for Wal-Mart censors

But I think it's safe to say there won't be any major acts doing exclusive Best Buy releases for new material any time soon.  

In recent months, Best Buy and Target both tried to follow Wal-Mart's lead in this and both have failed.  Christina Aguilera's last album was a greatest hits package with some new songs released exclusively through Target in November.  It barely hit 100K its first week and was out of the top 50 in its third week of release.  This is the first time either Best Buy or Target has done this and it hasn't worked for either of them.  They just don't have the money, the clientele, or the foot traffic to make it work the way Wal-Mart does

Yeah, it seems to be the only way the exclusive works is through Wal-Mart.  The good news is that the label got $14 million right away from this deal.  That is a big chunk of change.  I hope that will encourage the label to keep GN'R on its roster and not drop them due to poor sales.

Ali
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #1033 on: December 10, 2008, 02:21:02 PM »

great point but songs and bands sometimes take time 4 songs to be popular and when that happens then there going 2 sell a lot in the US and with Christmas coming up in the US people are going 2 buy it 4 a great socking stuffer

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #1034 on: December 10, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »

I can't believe the sales figure thing is even an issue. Everyone knows that the music industry today is fucked, and especially in America, I'm sorry to say.
Real music fans care about the music, not what is the most popular artist at the moment or what your friends like. If that's the case, then go sign up for a Britney forum instead, I hear she's tearing up the charts nowadays. Judging by some people's logic, she must be the most talented songwriter in the world. Since sales numbers equal quality and talent, I mean... Roll Eyes

GN'R 2010!!!
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #1035 on: December 10, 2008, 02:25:44 PM »

I can't believe the sales figure thing is even an issue. Everyone knows that the music industry today is fucked, and especially in America, I'm sorry to say.
Real music fans care about the music, not what is the most popular artist at the moment or what your friends like. If that's the case, then go sign up for a Britney forum instead, I hear she's tearing up the charts nowadays. Judging by some people's logic, she must be the most talented songwriter in the world. Since sales numbers equal quality and talent, I mean... Roll Eyes
i know what u mean  :rant:but people are so stupid i mean they follow so many talentless Fuckin Crazy biches when there are people out there that have a lot of talent i personaly blame the fuckin media!!!

*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #1036 on: December 10, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »

I haven't read one fucking yet form someone that said( Sells equals Quality)
The albums sales are fine . Maybe not great but also not horrible either.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #1037 on: December 10, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »

I haven't read one fucking yet form someone that said( Sells equals Quality)
The albums sales are fine . Maybe not great but also not horrible either.

True from here on this album will only get BETTER

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1038 on: December 10, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »

Christina Aguilera's last album was a greatest hits package with some new songs released exclusively through Target in November.  It barely hit 100K its first week and was out of the top 50 in its third week of release.

She was on the AMAs performing, the album has been advertised on TV, she makes all kinds of appearances, appears in those gossip magazines etc and still sells less than GN'R.....

/jarmo

Jarmo, GNR promoted this as the most anticipated album EVER.... A lil different than Christina's "Greatest Hits"...
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #1039 on: December 10, 2008, 02:34:03 PM »

/jarmo

Jarmo, GNR promoted this as the most anticipated album EVER.... A lil different than Christina's "Greatest Hits"...
True but with little advertising on GNR's part

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: