Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 01:28:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228119 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 443395 times)
Soori
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #460 on: November 30, 2008, 05:01:03 PM »

well i think the build up to the album was great. taking it slowly by introducing shacklers on rock band and then if the world in body of lies and then announcing the albums release date. but since then its been SHITE....the album is FANTASTIC...but the promotion lacks a certain edge...everywhere i look...everyones only interested in britney fuckin spears and her comeback...load of shit to be honest...someone needs to get out of the gnr crew and do something...i will get slated for saying this..but its only my opinion...if axl doesnt wana say anything yet then thats cool...but the management crew should do something!!!! im getting sick n tired of britney being everywhere....UK bragged on about her being on the x factor...all she fuckin did was lip sync all the way...anyways guns n roses chinese democracy will sell loads WORLDWIDE....
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #461 on: November 30, 2008, 05:02:38 PM »

By the way, I understand why Axl hasnt done any interviews or press, but SOMETHING should have been done. Dont know what though...
martyngnr
Headliner

« Reply #462 on: November 30, 2008, 05:05:58 PM »

Don't worry yourselves about it.

CD will outsell Kanye/Killers/whoever worldwide. Being No1 in the charts means fuck all! peace

"I read the internet......I know what's going on!"
Soori
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #463 on: November 30, 2008, 05:07:10 PM »

when andy gould said great art takes time....now im thinking dude you definately take your time with the promotion...LOL.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #464 on: November 30, 2008, 05:07:49 PM »

Its all pretty much a moot point now.  As far as promoting and marketing is conserned, I feel  the ball has been dropped and is too heavy too pick up again. When the numbers come out, all the naysayers that gave the album a bad review will pounce on the news that it didnt sell as much as predicted, and call it a failure.  Which will further hurt sales.  All the build-up  died after Chinese Democracy(song) was released to a big "meh" by most rock radio. Of course it had a massive rotation when it was released, but thats gone now.  Hopefully another single will find an audience, but I dont really think it will.  This album had way too much baggage to begin with.  And with most of the songs being "growers", not many people are giving it a chance.  It is great though, and maybe over time it may become something.

I don't know about big "meh".  From what I saw, there was no clear consensus as far as opinion of the song.  It went up to #3 on Mainstream Rock and #8 on Active Rock as far as airplay.  It peaked at #5 on Billboard.  It's still up there, so the massive rotation is not gone as of now like you claim.  I think "Better" can do better because it's catchier.  This album did have a lot of baggage, though.  That's evident from all the "reviews" denouncing the record simply because of the band membership and time in making it.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #465 on: November 30, 2008, 05:08:13 PM »

"ask yourself why i would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

I dont think releasing as album and a video and doing interviews is prostituting anything.

Prostituting isn't selling your own product.  If he did a duet with the Jonas Bros or Miley Cyrus then that would be so but just promoting your album is business, it isn't prostitution.

Besides, he shouldn't go the Kurt Cobain I don't want people to like my music route and I dont want to promote it blah blah

U are a musician, u are an entertainer and you have had no problems doing it for years, so why stop now?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Death Cube K
« Reply #466 on: November 30, 2008, 05:11:05 PM »

you just forgot to add IMHO at the end because there are many fans that wouldn't agree with you, I for one as I think there is no bad tracks on CD and that it doesn't need anything. and that is MHO.

I wasn't speaking about what the fans thought. I'm speaking about Shacklers Revenge hold against the general public.
cybercurves
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #467 on: November 30, 2008, 05:34:59 PM »

If Axl's gonna make a public appearance, he's gonna do it with the band.  Let's not forget, half the band are spread out doing other commitments, other projects, w/other bands, etc.  You can't just slap the band together on a whim and do Leno or Letterman or whatever without taking the time to prepare, rehearse, etc.  That takes time, remember the band hasn't played together in 15 months. 

Even if Axl decided to appear on Leno for example, he's not gonna do just an interview without the band performing.  And if he did do just an interview (with no band), the press and everybody will think Chinese Democracy was a "solo album" afterall.  It doesn't help some people think that already. 

Axl is Axl!  He's a true artist, he doesn't have to explain his art or creativity to anyone.  If he wants to play the media game, it's his call and no one else's. 

cybercurves
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #468 on: November 30, 2008, 06:09:51 PM »

I think this is very interesting that they keep such a low figure in all of this. Smart.

GN'R are not media whores so I think it's healthy that they stay out of the press untill they have gotten this into at least some perspective. Let the record/music speak for it self for a while.

I think the way for this record to fully bloom and become the monster that it is, is to slowly but surely let it work it's way into people's minds.

This album is still a huge mystery imo and I'm very excited about the future. It does not do this record justice to listen to it a couple of times and review it by the first week of sales.

This record will sell for a long time, not only this week. When gn'r get back out on the road more people willl pick it up and word of mouth will carry this thing a long way.

It will be number 1.

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #469 on: November 30, 2008, 06:11:33 PM »

I think this is very interesting that they keep such a low figure in all of this. Smart.

GN'R are not media whores so I think it's healthy that they stay out of the press untill they have gotten this into at least some perspective. Let the record/music speak for it self for a while.

I think the way for this record to fully bloom and become the monster that it is, is to slowly but surely let it work it's way into people's minds.

This album is still a huge mystery imo and I'm very excited about the future. It does not do this record justice to listen to it a couple of times and review it by the first week of sales.

This record will sell for a long time, not only this week. When gn'r get back out on the road more people willl pick it up and word of mouth will carry this thing a long way.

It will be number 1.

How can the album grow on somebody if not many people own it and there aren't any big hits.  Please advise.  I want it to become a smash hit as well....
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #470 on: November 30, 2008, 06:15:46 PM »

It will be number 1.

How can the album grow on somebody if not many people own it and there aren't any big hits.  Please advise.  I want it to become a smash hit as well....

No you don't.  You want it to fail so you get your crappy reunion.  Stop pretending to be something you're not.

On another point, this album will have legs.  Like the debut album, it probably won't catch on at first, but with a tour and more single releases/sports and movie tie-ins/live TV performances (including awards shows) it can have a long shelf life and bust a Nickelshit.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #471 on: November 30, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »

If Axl's gonna make a public appearance, he's gonna do it with the band.  Let's not forget, half the band are spread out doing other commitments, other projects, w/other bands, etc.  You can't just slap the band together on a whim and do Leno or Letterman or whatever without taking the time to prepare, rehearse, etc.  That takes time, remember the band hasn't played together in 15 months. 

I think there is some real truth to this... Axl obviously desperately wants this whole enterprise to be viewed as "a band"- and that becomes extremely hard to pull off when your primary lead guitarist from the album, Robin Finck (who's supposedly still in the band- as opposed to Buckethead) is busy touring with another major act (NIN). Bumblefoot's quote that Robin's return to NIN really "threw them for a loop" or whatever is probably much more telling than we realize IMHO... at least in terms of marketing/promotional plans. As an example, it seems to completely rule out impromptu appearances or surprise concerts for the short-term. Meanwhile, Axl is the type of bandmate/artist IMHO, that if he feels uncomfortable/unjustified promoting an album w/o having a primary contributor available (Robin Finck) to receive the attention with him- then he simply won't do it. Consequences be damned.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Batuta
Opening Act

« Reply #472 on: November 30, 2008, 07:48:30 PM »

Number 1 in Brazil  ok

We have a lot of fans here.
Anyway, I think CD will have better days after some weeks.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #473 on: November 30, 2008, 07:51:37 PM »

Number 1 in Brazil  ok

We have a lot of fans here.
Anyway, I think CD will have better days after some weeks.

excellent news  beer
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #474 on: November 30, 2008, 08:51:42 PM »

Give it time people!!!   Roll Eyes

The anticipation for the cd alone was great for initial sales, and all the promotion they needed in my mind (at least right at first)  This is easily seen from the myspace results...tons of people new about this album and were waiting to hear it. 

Now, we all should have known that even though many people were going to be interested in hearing this album, many people just weren't going to be pleased.  There are tons of people who just can't get over the fact that the original band broke up.  And tons of people also expect an album that sounds like Appetite.  So while there will be lots of old gunner fans who like this album, there is probably just as many who won't like this album.  This is going to be the initial phase people, the phase that were in right now.  This is also the phase that Axl will recieve a shit load of crap for things like the band breaking up or having a differen't sound than 20 years ago.. drool

However, this is also the start of GNR gaining new fans!!  More and more people everyday are hearing this music....some may not like it, but I'm sure many will.  And yes, I agree that there has been very little promotion but in time, I do believe that Axl will eventually promote this album with appearances and live performances that will gain more fans and ultimately sell more records and sell out concerts.  Axl doesn't necessarly have to promote for the sake of record sales as Best Buy already took care of sales for him.  However, I think he has to promote this album for sales at future concerts, where GNR really can make money.  I also believe that during their six months that Best Buy has control of the CD, they will do everything they can to push this album out there doors.  Trust me, I don't think Best Buy wants to eat the majority of the 3 million albums they bought from GNR.   

So in time, I believe there will be plenty of promotion and in the long run, this album will sell!!!  I don't think you want to shoot your wad all in the first month!! 

Give it time people!!!   
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:53:33 PM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #475 on: November 30, 2008, 09:29:12 PM »

This album is one of those albums that will be around for years and years.

It just doesn't seem like the kind of album you listen to for a week and then put away.

People will keep discovering it as time goes on....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #476 on: November 30, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »

Agreed - none of the other GNR albums have ever stopped selling. In terms of longevity, I'm willing to bet that C.D. will have more shelf life than Kanye, The Killers, or 75% of all the records this year.

Hopefully Axl and the band are in this for the long haul and this is only the tip of the iceberg. Once they start making appearances/music videos (if that's in their plans) this thing will really skyrocket.

And there goes the challenger...
TVC15
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #477 on: November 30, 2008, 10:04:48 PM »

It just doesn't seem like the kind of album you listen to for a week and then put away.

/jarmo

True. It definitely deserves the Grammy for Album of the Year.

beer
gearbm95
Opening Act

« Reply #478 on: November 30, 2008, 10:50:54 PM »

/jarmo

...in no way do I want CD to fail but I will delete my account if CD is still in the US Top 20 in one month after it's release!
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #479 on: November 30, 2008, 10:51:14 PM »

batuta already told ya's, but we're doing our part! ok
http://www.hot100brasil.com/chtalbums.html

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: