Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 12:59:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 445051 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2008, 08:42:01 PM »

In other news, GUNS N' ROSES' free MySpace streaming premiere of "Chinese Democracy" attracted 8,429,387 plays in its first four days on the site, more than half a million ahead of the previous record-holder, BEYONCE, after being up half the time.

That's impressive.  Smiley

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2008, 09:01:36 PM »

Isn't that somewhat of a let down?

300k would be a disaster in my opinion. 500k would simply be a letdown.

Let's hope things pick up.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2008, 09:05:04 PM »

I think all things considered 500k would not be so bad.  Given the lack of original members, the amount of time that has passed and the relative difference in # of stores for Best Buy vs. Walmart where AC/DC did so well, it wouldn't be so bad.

Ali
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2008, 09:21:56 PM »

AC DC sold 800k first week with Black Ice.

Metallica's Death Magnetic sold approximately 500k first week.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2008, 09:22:20 PM »

GUNS N' ROSES: 'Chinese Democracy' First-Week Sales In 300-500K Range - Nov. 24, 2008

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, first-week U.S. sales prognostications for GUNS N' ROSES' long-awaited new album, "Chinese Democracy", are ranging anywhere from 300,000 to 500,000 (including a reported 25,000 downloads at iTunes). Thanks to a recent controversial Nielsen SoundScan ruling about counting digital sales, "Chinese Democracy" will not debut on this week's The Billboard 200 chart, but the following week, December 3.

I think this part is important to add....from Hits Daily Double:

RUN FOR THE ROSES: The unprecedented Sunday release of Guns N? Roses? Geffen album Chinese Democracy as a Best Buy exclusive is causing havoc on the sales charts, making the guesstimate process even more of a crapshoot than usual. After yesterday?s first-day sales, which include a reported 25k downloads at iTunes, first-week sales prognostications are ranging anywhere from 300-500k. We?ll keep you posted as the week goes on, as this number is bound to fluctuate. Thanks to a recent controversial SoundScan ruling about counting digital sales, Chinese Democracy will not debut on tomorrow?s chart, but the following Tuesday, Dec. 2. (11/24p)

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Black Betty
Headliner

« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2008, 09:24:12 PM »

I really wish Axl would surface to help make CD #1. Cry
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2008, 09:24:57 PM »

GUNS N' ROSES: 'Chinese Democracy' First-Week Sales In 300-500K Range - Nov. 24, 2008

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, first-week U.S. sales prognostications for GUNS N' ROSES' long-awaited new album, "Chinese Democracy", are ranging anywhere from 300,000 to 500,000 (including a reported 25,000 downloads at iTunes). Thanks to a recent controversial Nielsen SoundScan ruling about counting digital sales, "Chinese Democracy" will not debut on this week's The Billboard 200 chart, but the following week, December 3.

I think this part is important to add....from Hits Daily Double:

RUN FOR THE ROSES: The unprecedented Sunday release of Guns N? Roses? Geffen album Chinese Democracy as a Best Buy exclusive is causing havoc on the sales charts, making the guesstimate process even more of a crapshoot than usual. After yesterday?s first-day sales, which include a reported 25k downloads at iTunes, first-week sales prognostications are ranging anywhere from 300-500k. We?ll keep you posted as the week goes on, as this number is bound to fluctuate. Thanks to a recent controversial SoundScan ruling about counting digital sales, Chinese Democracy will not debut on tomorrow?s chart, but the following Tuesday, Dec. 2. (11/24p)

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi

Very good points.  I'm glad you emphasized those parts.

Ali
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2008, 09:31:50 PM »

Band                        1st week                                 Overall(to date)
VR(contraband)         256(thanks kv)                       2 million US, 3 million total

Metallica                   490,000 (4 days)                     1+ million US

ACDC                        784,000                                   2+ million worldwide

But keep in mind that there are only 1400 Best Buys in the US, compared to 3800 Wal Marts in the case of AC/DC, and Metallica/VR were released in every place that sold music

CD sold 25,000 units on iTunes in the first day which is actually pretty huge
TVC15
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2008, 09:38:03 PM »

AC/DC's "Black Ice" sold almost 700,000 copies its 1st week. "Chinese Democracy" has to at least hit or pass the 1 million mark.

I'm betting Axl has something up his sleeve for this week. It was a given that the fan base would purchase the album on its first few days (no need for major promotion). Now, the band just has to convince the casual listener before Black Friday (and beyond).

peace

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2008, 09:41:45 PM »

cool thanks....

But keep in mind that there are only 1400 Best Buys in the US, compared to 3800 Wal Marts in the case of AC/DC, and Metallica/VR were released in every place that sold music
yea but GNR chose that deal...

going on these numbers I would hope to see GNR hit between 500-800k for the first week. Anything below 400k is not good for the band.

This may be a dumb question but do Itunes album sales count towards the overall figure?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »

yes

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2008, 09:44:05 PM »

I think all things considered 500k would not be so bad.  Given the lack of original members, the amount of time that has passed and the relative difference in # of stores for Best Buy vs. Walmart where AC/DC did so well, it wouldn't be so bad.

Ali

Half million wouldn't be terrible but a far cry from what the Illusion albums did; grantd, the music scene has changed dramatically since then.  Personally, I thought it had a chance to do 750K-1mil but let's face it, there was always a strong possibility of negative opinions of Axl from the media, x-fans, etc. that would affect sales. Plus the music and band are radically different from their album release of UYI's.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »

cool thanks....

going on these numbers I would hope to see GNR hit between 500-800k for the first week. Anything below 400k is not good for the band.

This may be a dumb question but do Itunes album sales count towards the overall figure?

Very true. Considering the expense Axl requires to make music, he needs strong sales to keep that mandate.

DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2008, 09:50:40 PM »

I really wish Axl would surface to help make CD #1. Cry

Your post is one too many people here will simply choose to ignore.  The lack of a video, AMA appearance and interviews by Axl are going to hurt sales.  Everybody here wants it to beat Black Ice and Death Magnetic, but those bands were out promoting the hell out of those albums.  I think Axl is a brilliant artist, but he's not as driven as some other artists are.  It is what it is, I guess...
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2008, 09:50:47 PM »

Craziness.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2008, 09:50:52 PM »

cool thanks....

I've predicted 500-700K for years, looks like it could be slightly below that or right on it

iTunes album sales do count towards the overall sales

The reason that GnR chose the deal is obviously because they negotiated a sweet guarantee with Best Buy.  If their only goal was to maximize pure album sales they would've released it everywhere or gone through Wal-Mart

Obviously Best Buy brought something to the table in the negotiations.  I'm sure that GnR/UMG got a big guaranteed payment to sign with them.  The word is that they bought 2+ million copies.  It's known that Wal-Mart bought 3 million guaranteed from AC/DC.  So either way the band and label are making money.  It's Best Buy who's taking the real risk here
DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2008, 09:53:06 PM »

Quit making excuses, guys.  The music is phenomenal, but there is almost zero promotion by the band itself.  While these other old geezers stay in the limelight, it looks as if Axl has pretty much said "fuck the limelight"...
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2008, 09:53:39 PM »

Would the retail-exclusive thing be hurting sales? Insted of being available everywhere so casual shoppers can pick it up it's only at the one store chain.
I always thought having retail exclusive albums in general was stupid.
DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2008, 09:55:37 PM »

Would the retail-exclusive thing be hurting sales? Insted of being available everywhere so casual shoppers can pick it up it's only at the one store chain.

Everybody here said the retail exclusive was the way to go.  Now that sales are projecting lower than desired, everybody is saying the retail exclusive is hurting sales.  Bottom line is: I work in sales... sales is all about promotion.  Promotion, advertising and more promotion.  Where is the band?  Where is Axl?  Where are the videos? 

Actually, truth be told, the album is doing really fucking well when you consider there is almost zero promotion with it by the band itself...
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2008, 10:06:08 PM »

It didn't seem to hurt Ac/Dc . Course they also did a lot more promo and have a tour going.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: