Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:27:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 471126 times)
Gunzen
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #880 on: December 06, 2008, 06:44:11 PM »

Reuters/Billboard
Sat Dec 6, 2008

Maybe pundits should just take a step back, breathe and see where the album goes from here. There very well may be quite a long, healthy road ahead for "Chinese Democracy."

but that would invove not criticizing Axl for his career, his music choices, his band loyalty and/or his business and promotion practices.  Not likely.

I for one think about bands  like Scorpions, Def Lepperd and Motley Crue, whom I loved back in my youth, who have managed multiple releases, with varying degrees of success, which I dont listen to at all.

I am just stoked for CD, sales or no sales.  It will be a staple in my roatation forever, Platimun or not.

Good idea, lets just wait and see.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #881 on: December 06, 2008, 06:49:55 PM »

Reuters/Billboard
Sat Dec 6, 2008

Maybe pundits should just take a step back, breathe and see where the album goes from here. There very well may be quite a long, healthy road ahead for "Chinese Democracy."

That would certainly be my prediction. Let's see where we are in 6 months to a year. ok

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #882 on: December 06, 2008, 07:32:50 PM »

Appetite for Destruction was not an instant hit, remember?
They actually had to re-release wtj as a single.

This band has to prove themselves first.

Plus, they need a big radio hit. Chinese Democracy only peaked at #5 on the mainstream rock charts. They need a much bigger hit than that.

Yeah, the difference is that Gn'R wasn't a well known name in 1987, this is 2008 and Gn'R is supposed to be a huge name, obviously the sales indicate otherwise.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
western_chaos
Rocker

The Adrenaline Runs Through My Veins.

« Reply #883 on: December 06, 2008, 07:35:50 PM »

They are a different band now. Everyone knows the name G'NR, but most everyone knows it's not the same band.

This band still has to prove itself in a way.

My New Social Network Is Here:

http://writersparadise.ning.com/
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #884 on: December 06, 2008, 08:19:29 PM »

Appetite for Destruction was not an instant hit, remember?
They actually had to re-release wtj as a single.

This band has to prove themselves first.

Plus, they need a big radio hit. Chinese Democracy only peaked at #5 on the mainstream rock charts. They need a much bigger hit than that.

Yeah, the difference is that Gn'R wasn't a well known name in 1987, this is 2008 and Gn'R is supposed to be a huge name, obviously the sales indicate otherwise.

Shit happens.  GnR wouldn't be the first major band to deal with disappointing sales, nor will they be the last.  The industry is buzzing about AC/DC's latest success.  Their last album Stiff Upper Lip sold about 170,000 the first week and about 700-800,000 overall.  Their latest album did that in a week.  So does that mean AC/DC were no longer a big name in 2000?  Of course not.  Sometimes albums don't do as well as expected and there are a million different explanations for it

Unfortunately quality doesn't = sales.  Just look at the Billboard top 20 right now for proof of that.  Promotion from Best Buy has been mediocre at best and pales in comparison to what Wal-Mart has done for its exclusives and the album isn't as easily accessible to the public.  The record label clearly isn't pushing radio to pick up Better the way they did with CD which to me is a bit shocking.  Seems they would've put CD out there as a buzz single then hit with the heavy promo blitz with Better.  Bottom line is that the radio stations play what the labels want them to.  If UMG really wanted Better in heavy rotation it would be there.  But it's not, so do the math.  You can it at the feet of the band as well.  The promotion from the band has been nonexistent.  So far Ron is the only one who's even said a word about it post-release, which to me is fine.  Hell, if Axl doesn't want to talk, I'm not going to say he should or has to do it, it's his album after all.  But suffice to say the promotion has been mediocre at best and sales are reflecting that
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #885 on: December 06, 2008, 08:26:02 PM »

They are a different band now. Everyone knows the name G'NR, but most everyone knows it's not the same band.

I will completely disagree with that statement.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #886 on: December 06, 2008, 11:54:23 PM »

Next week its out of the the top 10.......FUCK!!

GUNS N' ROSES: 'Chinese Democracy' To Drop Out Of U.S. Top 10 - Dec. 6, 2008

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, GUNS N' ROSES' long-awaited new album, "Chinese Democracy", will drop out of the Billboard Top 10 next week with second-week U.S. sales that are expected to fall below the 80,000 mark.

"Chinese Democracy" sold 261,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release (including a reported 25,000 downloads at iTunes on November 23 not counted towards the opening week) to debut at position No. 3 on The Billboard 200 chart ? right behind TAYLOR SWIFT's "Fearless" at No. 2 (with 267,400 sold) and KANYE WEST's "808s & Heartbreak", which opens at No. 1 with sales of 450,000 and change.

According to Billboard.biz, "Chinese Democracy" topped the European Top 100 Albums chart this past week after making a series of notable debuts in European markets. That includes only one No. 1 debut, in Switzerland, but the album secures a second week at the helm in Finland and debuts at No.2 in the United Kingdom (on 119,000 sales) and Germany, No. 3 in Italy, Austria and Ireland, No. 4 in Holland, Sweden and Hungary and No. 9 in Portugal. The comeback release also climbs 5-2 in Norway and 26-10 in France.

Only singer Axl Rose remains in the current GUNS roster, having taken some 15 years to complete "Chinese Democracy" with a revolving cast of musicians.

As previously reported, "Chinese Democracy" looks set to drop out of the UK Top 5 this Sunday (December 6) based on the midweek figures released by Music Week. The CD debuted at No. 2 in the UK after failing to outsell "Day & Age", the latest album from Las Vegas rock group THE KILLERS.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:56:20 PM by Shadows7XXX » Logged
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #887 on: December 07, 2008, 12:29:45 AM »

yeah, well what did you expect? no one in the band is promoting the album.

there is no video, no interviews, nada! no wonder.

it's their fault, and if they're not worried we shouldn't care either.

Chinese Democracy!
hooliganscomics
Banned
Headliner

Kool Aid free since '93

« Reply #888 on: December 07, 2008, 12:38:22 AM »

This album is one of those albums that will be around for years and years.

It just doesn't seem like the kind of album you listen to for a week and then put away.

People will keep discovering it as time goes on....

/jarmo

Unfortunately they'll be discovering it at their local 7-11 on the counter next to Rick Springfield and  Richard Marx. Out of the top 10 already sad sad sad.

This message will be deleted in 5 minutes

If you don't like what I have to say stop reading my posts.
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #889 on: December 07, 2008, 12:48:21 AM »

It just doesn't seem like the kind of album you listen to for a week and then put away.

/jarmo

Unfortunately they'll be discovering it at their local 7-11 on the counter next to Rick Springfield and  Richard Marx. Out of the top 10 already sad sad sad.

Jesus loves the little children.

'next on the banned list'
hooliganscomics
Banned
Headliner

Kool Aid free since '93

« Reply #890 on: December 07, 2008, 12:53:58 AM »

/jarmo

Yeah I've only been on this site for like 2 weeks and already see how it is. I've had multiple post deleted for no reason and the MODS don't even have the decency to explain.

If you don't like what I have to say stop reading my posts.
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #891 on: December 07, 2008, 01:06:16 AM »

/jarmo

Yeah I've only been on this site for like 2 weeks and already see how it is. I've had multiple post deleted for no reason and the MODS don't even have the decency to explain.

They're mods. They need to explanations.

But yeah. I posted an article about a magazine article on Chinese Democracy about 6-7 months ago. No scans were included. It got deleted right away. Unexplained.

But back on topic.

The album is placing quite well. I'm surprised it dominated European charts so much.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #892 on: December 07, 2008, 01:43:58 AM »

yeah, well what did you expect? no one in the band is promoting the album.

there is no video, no interviews, nada! no wonder.

it's their fault, and if they're not worried we shouldn't care either.

true...but Metallica sold shitloads, stayed at number 1 for weeks...and i think are still in the top 10, or near it...and I wouldnt say that it's all "promoting" that is causing that...and "Chinese Democracy" is a far superior album in every way...oh well whatever...this blows, but this is still a great record...just wish more people would hear it because there is so much great music on here, and when I see the shit that sells a lot it is frustrating...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:46:14 AM by Shadows7XXX » Logged
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #893 on: December 07, 2008, 01:49:35 AM »

Metallica has been the worlds biggest and most popular hard rock band for years.  Death Magnetic got mostly possitive reviews, not mixed like CD. Metallica are established.  GnR no longer is.  And Metallica actually promoted their album.
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #894 on: December 07, 2008, 02:19:26 AM »

Quote from: western_chaos on Yesterday at 07:35:50 PM

Sad but true! I've heard this from more people than I care to talk about...  rant

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #895 on: December 07, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »

You can spin it any way you want but 255,000 albums (with a Sunday release and Black Friday) is going to look like a huge bomb in the eyes of the media and many fans. What caused this? Was it Best Buy, Axl/GNR's lack of interviews/appearances or a combination of the two?

Or a very bad lead single?

Couldn't agree more.  A lot of people judged the entire album on the title track and its the weakest song on the entire fucking album.  Now "Better" is getting less attention and the next single will get even less.  I don't like the way this is headed......

"Better" is getting increased airplay so far.  It's building.  Give it some time.  Most songs take time to move up the charts.

Ali

So, soothsayer, did the release of "better" help them move up the charts? i havent seen the numbers, so im asking you since you know everything.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #896 on: December 07, 2008, 11:53:31 AM »

You can spin it any way you want but 255,000 albums (with a Sunday release and Black Friday) is going to look like a huge bomb in the eyes of the media and many fans. What caused this? Was it Best Buy, Axl/GNR's lack of interviews/appearances or a combination of the two?

Or a very bad lead single?

Couldn't agree more.  A lot of people judged the entire album on the title track and its the weakest song on the entire fucking album.  Now "Better" is getting less attention and the next single will get even less.  I don't like the way this is headed......

"Better" is getting increased airplay so far.  It's building.  Give it some time.  Most songs take time to move up the charts.

Ali

So, soothsayer, did the release of "better" help them move up the charts? i havent seen the numbers, so im asking you since you know everything.

According to ShotgunBlues, Better isn't getting the same push as CD.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #897 on: December 07, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »

I personally love the album.  I think the album is for true fans, it's not another sex, drugs, and rocknroll album.  So I could realy care less how it charts.  There was very little promotion even though it was a Best Buy exclusive, no Axl appearances, Kanye and the Killers are more mainstream, so if they didn't perform well theres something wrong.  Chinese Democracy is a very good album, if people need it to be charted #1 in order to think its a good album, then theres something wrong with that also.

Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #898 on: December 07, 2008, 12:41:44 PM »

I personally love the album.  I think the album is for true fans, it's not another sex, drugs, and rocknroll album.  So I could realy care less how it charts.  There was very little promotion even though it was a Best Buy exclusive, no Axl appearances, Kanye and the Killers are more mainstream, so if they didn't perform well theres something wrong.  Chinese Democracy is a very good album, if people need it to be charted #1 in order to think its a good album, then theres something wrong with that also.

All true... I think many people are struggling (myself included at times) with the realization that in 2008 Axl and GN'R simply can't just throw 14 songs out there and have them dominate the charts for the next 3 years or whatever. That's kind of a downer of sorts for those of us that remember the Use Your Illusion era well. Obviously the commercial viability of the band name has been eroded somewhat in the intervening 15 years. Technology has also intervened in negative ways as well.

On the bright side however- the ARTISTIC viability of the band is AS STRONG AS EVER. And at the end of the day- if given a choice of supporting a band that sells lots of shitty/safe well-promoted albums OR one that despite greatly reduced sales- continues to make the best, if criminally under-promoted and under-appreciated, rock music for the ages- I'll take the latter. I think almost all of us would. beer
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:43:48 PM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #899 on: December 07, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »

Question: Not that sales matter, but for curiosityes sake, can the album move up on the charts if promotion was to start now (or soon)?

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: