Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 01:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228119 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 443406 times)
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #640 on: December 02, 2008, 09:30:17 PM »

glad they didn't go the wal mart route. Would have to bought an Edited CD then . or one with diffrent songs.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #641 on: December 02, 2008, 09:47:02 PM »

glad they didn't go the wal mart route. Would have to bought an Edited CD then . or one with diffrent songs.

doubtful...there is no sticker on this album...could have been sold as is.....with no editing
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #642 on: December 02, 2008, 09:51:43 PM »

doubtful...there is no sticker on this album...could have been sold as is.....with no editing

thats another thing, some copies ive seen online have the sticker
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #643 on: December 02, 2008, 09:52:33 PM »

the still would edit it. Wal - mart don't sell music with bad words.

Movies and games yes, music no!

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #644 on: December 02, 2008, 09:53:15 PM »

I bought the album at Wal-Mart in Canada and it is not edited at all.
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #645 on: December 02, 2008, 09:57:45 PM »

that cause it's Canada where they do things right , sir/

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #646 on: December 02, 2008, 10:10:24 PM »

i have bought a cd at walmart with a fuck in it here and there

jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #647 on: December 02, 2008, 10:19:43 PM »

its not the tipper gore days, walmart does sell music with cuss words. Check out the rap records!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #648 on: December 02, 2008, 10:21:19 PM »

So far, Gn'R has released Chinese Democracy and Better as the two singles.    They're both good songs; Better is arguably amongst the best on the album, but neither of them are ballads with much cross-over appeal.  The song that ignited Guns N' Roses originally was Sweet Child 'O Mine and Welcome to the Jungle only became popular on a subsequent re-release as a single after SCOM became so popular.    Patience is the most well-known song from Gn'R Lies.  November Rain is the song everyone thinks of when they think of the UYI albums.

My point is that Gn'R has always been most popular with the ballads (or ballad type songs).   These are always the songs that propel them over the top in the public eye, the songs that made them not just a popular rock band but into huge stadium rock stars.

Gn'R has yet to release their big ballad from this album as a single.  I don't know exactly which song that would be, or how soon it'd be released, but they must be planning on releasing at least one ballad as a single.   Is it possible they are holding on to a lot of the promotion until after the release of that song?  It just seems to me that some marketing tricks only work once; if they did it all last week, they might not have the same opportunities available in the future.

Right now, I think most non-fans may have heard Chinese Democracy (the song), and possibly the single Better, but probably not much else.  They have no idea about the range or depth of this album, or what could be in store for them.

I know, it's very uncommon for any established bands to go up in the charts after their first week, but most bands also put out their biggest songs first.  Gn'R has not done that yet (or, if you think Better is their best song, you'll at least agree there are several other songs that are very close in caliber to Better)

Right now, despite all factors, only selling 250k albums the first week is actually a very good week for any rock band.  But not for Guns N' Roses.   They've either completely dropped the ball on the promotion of this, or the biggest promotion is yet to come.

Just a thought, anyway.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #649 on: December 02, 2008, 10:25:08 PM »

I stand corrected then.

Haven't bought music from walmart in long time.

Wasn't there some talk that the best buy exclusive was just for a period of time....something like six months .?.

bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #650 on: December 02, 2008, 11:30:59 PM »

I stand corrected then.

Haven't bought music from walmart in long time.

Wasn't there some talk that the best buy exclusive was just for a period of time....something like six months .?.
Yep, that's what Richard said at least in an interview in late October.
gabble
Rocker

I-E-A-I-A-I-O

« Reply #651 on: December 03, 2008, 12:04:13 AM »

1. Minor correction: It charted #3 in the US.

2. If I remember correctly, Best Buy paid somewhere around $30 million cash up front for 3 million units.  AC/DC, IIRC, got twenty-some-odd million for 2.5 million copies at Wal-Mart.

At any rate, Axl's cut of $30m + the $19m he got from selling the catalogue = me panhandling on his doorstep.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #652 on: December 03, 2008, 12:12:24 AM »

I am glad we have CD, but it is still a sad day to be a GNR fan.

I wouldn't say that...but the sales numbers are extremely disappointing, especially since Metallica and Ac/Dc just had two hugely successful albums with tours going on right now...But aside from sales...there is nothing disappointing about this record...it is great from start to finish and it was worth every second of the wait...GNR do things differently and I respect any decision that Axl makes whether it be to promote the album or to lay low..GNR are a different type of band always have been...These new songs hold up with the old stuff and does NOT disgrace the GNR name as I have been seeing some people say recently....It is a different type of album...it is not for everybody....Metallica and Ac/Dc pretty much just released weaker versions of Back in Black and the Black album/And justice for all....those are pretty much all Death Magnetic and Black Ice are, but it is familiar to people and people like that, and they love the nostalgia aspect of it...I enjoy the albums too...but I think Chinese Democracy blows them both out of the water...even if the record sales aren't there...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #653 on: December 03, 2008, 12:24:52 AM »

Sales mean jack shit.

What is disappointing for me as a gnr fan is the fact that this is turning out to be a ho hum release. There is no effort from Best Buy or the band. Yea we are all excited and stoked about finally having CD but we all wanted to see this band thrive and validate itself to the public. We have been on here for years cheering these guys on, supporting them, waiting for soon to be the word. Soon has come, and its slowly slipping away.

Soon is coming and going. And that my friends is what is disappointing

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Chief
Legend

« Reply #654 on: December 03, 2008, 12:28:12 AM »

Just curious, does selling the catalog mean that Axl doesn't get any more future royalties from the old albums?

1. Minor correction: It charted #3 in the US.

2. If I remember correctly, Best Buy paid somewhere around $30 million cash up front for 3 million units.  AC/DC, IIRC, got twenty-some-odd million for 2.5 million copies at Wal-Mart.

At any rate, Axl's cut of $30m + the $19m he got from selling the catalogue = me panhandling on his doorstep.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #655 on: December 03, 2008, 12:30:15 AM »

that is something I wondered about too.

Plus didn't that deal also count for Cd and all the new songs??

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #656 on: December 03, 2008, 12:46:42 AM »

Sales mean jack shit.

What is disappointing for me as a gnr fan is the fact that this is turning out to be a ho hum release. There is no effort from Best Buy or the band. Yea we are all excited and stoked about finally having CD but we all wanted to see this band thrive and validate itself to the public. We have been on here for years cheering these guys on, supporting them, waiting for soon to be the word. Soon has come, and its slowly slipping away.

Soon is coming and going. And that my friends is what is disappointing

I don't know about you, but I don't need a band to be commercially successful and be "validated" in the public eye to feel justified in supporting them.

Ali
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #657 on: December 03, 2008, 12:52:03 AM »

I don't know about you, but I don't need a band to be commercially successful and be "validated" in the public eye to feel justified in supporting them.
Nor do I. But you know what? I see other big time rock bands like Metallica and ACDC release an album and give their fans a smooth ride. For once as a GNR fan I would like to enjoy that. Its like if you have any sort of expectations with GNR you get blasted by other fans for being greedy or something. I never knew a video and some interviews were too much to expect. I never knew that wanting to see your band do well commercially was a bad thing.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:56:13 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #658 on: December 03, 2008, 01:16:58 AM »

Nor do I. But you know what? I see other big time rock bands like Metallica and ACDC release an album and give their fans a smooth ride. For once as a GNR fan I would like to enjoy that. Its like if you have any sort of expectations with GNR you get blasted by other fans for being greedy or something. I never knew a video and some interviews were too much to expect. I never knew that wanting to see your band do well commercially was a bad thing.

Wanting commercial success isn't asking too much and that's not what I was implying.  Yeah, maybe you would get a smoother ride as an AC/DC fan, but you would also get the same damn record time after time.  That's not what I'm looking for.  Are you?  In the end, the album sales don't really affect us unless it prevents the band from releasing future albums.

Ali
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #659 on: December 03, 2008, 01:22:22 AM »

Yeah, maybe you would get a smoother ride as an AC/DC fan, but you would also get the same damn record time after time.  That's not what I'm looking for.  Are you?  In the end, the album sales don't really affect us unless it prevents the band from releasing future albums
Nor do I. Obiviously GNR put out a much more compelling album than ACDC and Metallica. My problem is why does it end there? Why cant we have the amazing album(which we have) and not even get descent promo?

As for future albums. If album sales dont effect any future GNR albums then I could care less as well.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: