Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 02:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228119 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 443440 times)
Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #320 on: November 27, 2008, 02:43:57 PM »

comparing to ACDC and metallica does make alot of sense.

BUT, you need to factor in Best Buy vs. Walmart vs. no exclusive deal.

there are FAR less Best Buy stores in the U.S. than Walmarts. I believe there's about 1,000 BB vs. 4,000 Walmarts vs. metallica's CD being sold everywhere.

then add in the fact that Best Buy is hurting. Revenues are down, while Walmart's revenues are up. because of the economy, people are not buying TVs/appliances/etc., and staying away from places like Best Buy. and conversely, they are MORE inclined to go to a store like Walmart for daily essentials and low cost house items.

Wal-Mart is so much more convenient for most people.  Especially those of us who live in rural areas where it's basically the ONLY place around to shop easily.  I had to drive an hour to get to a Best Buy...and if I were a "casual" fan, well, I wouldn't have made the effort.  It would have been one of those "next time I'm in Monroe, I'll pick it up" deals.  

I think we all want Chinese Democracy to be successful because it validates our love of GN'R.  I'd love to see GN'R on top of the charts, but I won't lose sleep over it if they aren't.  

I just wonder....I know I bought multiple copies.  Most of us here did.  So...how much does that inflate the numbers?  Significantly or not?  I mean, how many "die hard" fans are there?  lol  
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #321 on: November 27, 2008, 02:48:18 PM »

Almost everyone on this board was bitching when Walmart was rumored, now theres bitching that Walmart has more stores

TheRaven
Rocker

« Reply #322 on: November 27, 2008, 02:50:54 PM »

Also, for those talking about the merits of using Wal-Mart, there's no way GN'R would've been able to release through them. It would've come down to Axl wanting more sales, or wanting an album to be released in a way that he didn't want it (edited). To avoid the album from being edited, he would've had to switch out some songs, and after 14 years why would he want to suddenly make that compromise? I agree that Wal-Mart would've got a lot more sales for GN'R, but maybe they should've gone the route of not having an exclusive at all? Then Target, Wal-Mart, and all could sell it. I mean, how much did the Best Buy promotion really buy them? Not more than the advantage they would've gained otherwise I'd wager.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #323 on: November 27, 2008, 02:52:10 PM »

Almost everyone on this board was bitching when Walmart was rumored, now theres bitching that Walmart has more stores

It's the sheer facts.  I'm glad they went with Best Buy and not Wal-Mart, and didn't compromise the album by editing it like  they would've had to do with Wal-Mart.  They obviously got a nice deal from Best Buy.  Just saying that we probably should have seen this coming but were blinded by our own enthusiasm for the band
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #324 on: November 27, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »

we were only bitching about Wal Mart due to fear of it being "Censored"
Since it doesnt have a parental Advisory sticker, it doesn't matter.

Axl is also doing the old school approach to record releasing.

In these day and age its all about the single.

U have to have a HUGE single to resonate with people and GNR released one of the weaker songs on the album first.

Not that CD isnt a great song, but compared to the rest of the album, I dont know of anyone who would list it top 5.

So if "Better" or one of the ballads can really cross over and hit. CD will do fine.

If no single really does that, CD will sell about a million.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #325 on: November 27, 2008, 03:00:38 PM »

If they get a kick-ass video out there for Better, weeks prior to Christmas, and have Best Buy play the thing relentlessly over all of their High-Def TV's, then Chinese Democracy will explode WELL INTO THE FUCKIN' NEW YEAR!!!

And have copies of CD in front of each and every one of those televisions.  They'll sell those 3 million copies of Chinese Democracy they bought.

Dear Best Buy, this isn't rocket science.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
torzt
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #326 on: November 27, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »

http://lista.vg.no/show_list.php?ListsOp=showWeek&listID=2

official norwegian list, top 40 albums.

CD is number 5, after one day of sales last week

Im fucking innocent!!!!!!!!!!!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #327 on: November 27, 2008, 03:04:48 PM »

If they get a kick-ass video out there for Better, weeks prior to Christmas, and have Best Buy play the thing relentlessly over all of their High-Def TV's, then Chinese Democracy will explode WELL INTO THE FUCKIN' NEW YEAR!!!

And have copies of CD in front of each and every one of those televisions.  They'll sell those 3 million copies of Chinese Democracy they bought.

axl has to make that video though and start talking a little.

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #328 on: November 27, 2008, 03:06:54 PM »

I like it. I like a lot. Excellent. Give Best Buy the video Axl. You don't have to talk to any fools and prostitute yourself. BUt, take care of some business with a video.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
makane
Legend

« Reply #329 on: November 27, 2008, 03:09:31 PM »

So, Contraband sold something like 250-300k in the first week? This seems to get pretty even here, though I guess CD will top 300k easily.
Or am I way off here?

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #330 on: November 27, 2008, 03:10:33 PM »

So, Contrabland sold something like 250-300k in the first week? This seems to get pretty even here, though I guess CD will top 300k easily.
And Liberturd only sold 300,000 total or something like that.  rofl
AC
Rocker

« Reply #331 on: November 27, 2008, 03:11:26 PM »

Musical styles in the U.S. have changed over the years, but not in Europe or even Canada. We'll see much better numbers in those countries, but we'll probably see more extensive touring in the U.S. to gain that momentum again.

All I know is that this album is truly amazing. Nothing will change that. I cannot wait until we hear new stuff again.

a.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #332 on: November 27, 2008, 03:27:48 PM »

The economy could be a huge factor too.

People barely have money for food and gas, let alone a new album.

Yes, retail sales are down everywhere.   

So, Contraband sold something like 250-300k in the first week? This seems to get pretty even here, though I guess CD will top 300k easily.
Or am I way off here?
I give absolutely no shit what that crappy band sold.
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #333 on: November 27, 2008, 03:35:46 PM »

in a way, i feel like axl should also sue best buy.  like dr. pepper, they promised a monumental promotion.  if anything, they also helped to ruin the release of chinese democracy.  not as much as dr. pepper did, but still.  i think axl should sue these clowns too.  if they can't do their jobs then they have to face the consequences.
TheRaven
Rocker

« Reply #334 on: November 27, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »

in a way, i feel like axl should also sue best buy.  like dr. pepper, they promised a monumental promotion.  if anything, they also helped to ruin the release of chinese democracy.  not as much as dr. pepper did, but still.  i think axl should sue these clowns too.  if they can't do their jobs then they have to face the consequences.
Where did Best Buy promise a monumental campaign? I thought GN'R's management did? Plus, who knows what was in the contract with Best Buy. One report (Rolling Stone?) said that negotiations started at the end of '07. I'm pretty sure both parties knew exactly what they were getting. TV commercials, displays at the store (although some were not as well prepared on the first day), and front-page advertising as a "door buster" I think is pretty good exposure. Even the ad last week (Sun.-Thu. ad) had an image of Axl on the cell phones and MP3 players in the Best Buy flyer.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #335 on: November 27, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »

I know this sounds absolutley retarded to say, but Maybe Axl released CD at the 'wrong Time"

With the economy and stuff the way it is, just maybe he should've waited till this summer when things will maybe be a bit better.

We are only counting US Sales though

U have to realize, the Best Buy deal alone probably wiped the recording costs off the books for Geffen.

So anything that make worldwide will be straight profit and they will sell a SHIT load of records worldwide.

gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #336 on: November 27, 2008, 03:47:35 PM »

Just spoke to three people today that said they were gonna buy Chinese Democracy so its still gonna continue selling and with the release of Better 3 weeks before christmas I'd say sales will soar

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #337 on: November 27, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »

I know this sounds absolutley retarded to say, but Maybe Axl released CD at the 'wrong Time"

With the economy and stuff the way it is, just maybe he should've waited till this summer when things will maybe be a bit better.

We are only counting US Sales though

U have to realize, the Best Buy deal alone probably wiped the recording costs off the books for Geffen.

So anything that make worldwide will be straight profit and they will sell a SHIT load of records worldwide.

Exactly.  The reason why the exclusive deals are done is to make the most money for the record companies.  Also first week sales mean nothing.  When NIN realeased the last 2 label albums they went to number one on the charts for one week then dropped way down to the bottom.  I think what you will see is GnR staying on top and possibly gaining in 2009 with a video, tour. 

Personally I would love to see Axl do some communication with the fans a video of behind the scenes or whatever he wants to do.  I can understand why he does not do interviews.  It seems every time he goes out in public people just talk about his fuckin hair. 

gearbm95
Opening Act

« Reply #338 on: November 27, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »

I've told all my friends how great the record is but no one is interested in even giving it a chance. No radio station in the WNY Buffalo/Rochester metro area plays any of the new GNR material. Axl needs to get off his ass and play some fucking shows with a band...its amazing how many people don't even know GNR still exists or who is even in the band.
Sugartown
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #339 on: November 27, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »

why is evrybody so concerned about reviews and charting................................CD is pretty much the number 1 rock record around the world. Yall need to relax its only been out for a week.   Welcome to the jungle was released 3 x before it gained momentum,  CD is doing just fine.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: