Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 11:58:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 444017 times)
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #280 on: November 26, 2008, 09:39:10 PM »

I said I didn't care if it went to #1...sould be nice, but it's not that big a deal.

VR sold 256k first week. According to Hits, Axl won't sell many more than that. Understandably, the state of the industry has changed since then but the press will spin this fact repeatedly.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
uzisuicide2002
VIP

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!?!?!?!

« Reply #281 on: November 26, 2008, 09:41:39 PM »

I think if the album was out everywhere it would be better. I don't think ppl are going to go out of there way to go to Best Buy to get it if they are not big fans and what not. It being only at best buy is holding it back maybe.  Wal-Mart is good because ppl go there for everything they need. Best Buy not so much Embarrassed

GN'R Boston 02
GN'R NYC 06
GN'R Mass 06
GN'R NJ 11
VR Mass 05
GN'R Foxboro 16
GN'R Boston 17
VR Mass 07
Slash Boston 10
Steven Adler NYC 11
Slash Foxwoods 14
Slash Providence 15
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #282 on: November 26, 2008, 10:14:42 PM »

VR sold 256k first week. According to Hits, Axl won't sell many more than that. Understandably, the state of the industry has changed since then but the press will spin this fact repeatedly.

VR's album went on to sell two million, but that was because it had two huge singles:  Slither & Fall To Pieces.  Like D said, there may not be anything on this album that can be that successful as a single...  Slither reached #1 on both rock charts and stayed on top for 9 weeks... As successful as "Chinese Democracy" was as a single, it doesn't even compare to those songs mainstream success, which is what fuels album sales these days (Dark Side of the Moon would flop today too).

Ali, I'm sure Hits Daily Double doesn't make their estimates based on iTunes sales... I'm not sure WHAT exactly their source is (maybe they say on the website?), but I have been to the site a lot and they give "One Day Sales" updates almost every week... I've never seen them off by more than 100,000.
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #283 on: November 26, 2008, 10:38:04 PM »

VR's album went on to sell two million, but that was because it had two huge singles:  Slither & Fall To Pieces.  Like D said, there may not be anything on this album that can be that successful as a single...  Slither reached #1 on both rock charts and stayed on top for 9 weeks... As successful as "Chinese Democracy" was as a single, it doesn't even compare to those songs mainstream success, which is what fuels album sales these days (Dark Side of the Moon would flop today too).

Ali, I'm sure Hits Daily Double doesn't make their estimates based on iTunes sales... I'm not sure WHAT exactly their source is (maybe they say on the website?), but I have been to the site a lot and they give "One Day Sales" updates almost every week... I've never seen them off by more than 100,000.

It's still an estimate though. Predicting forward days can be pretty dicey especially when a major shopping day is in the middle.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
ElNonoPololo
Headliner

Here Today...I guess

« Reply #284 on: November 26, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »

Nah, it wouldn't. Just look at Radiohead: From Kid A on their albums have definitely not been single-oriented either, and yet they've sold like crazy.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!
TVC15
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #285 on: November 26, 2008, 11:16:35 PM »

I'm still in awe that Axl has not promoted the album during its first week. Promotion was looking good for a week or two. A big 1st week would have sparked a lot of interest from the average music fan. No video, no interviews in ANY major magazine, no appearances, etc. Very sad. "Chinese Democracy" is an excellent album.

We'll get a lot of promotion next week. Kanye will boast about how great he is (he defeated the most anticipated album of all-time) and other media will laugh about it. Sad.

Cry

eggers
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #286 on: November 26, 2008, 11:34:13 PM »

It's still an estimate though. Predicting forward days can be pretty dicey especially when a major shopping day is in the middle.

The film industry does the same thing and they usually get it really close. I can't see the predictions being far off the reality. Also what is a usual first week sales figure for iTunes? Can't be huge numbers.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #287 on: November 26, 2008, 11:37:36 PM »

A big thing everyone is overlooking is, It isn't BLACK FRIDAY YET

That is the day CD will sell a shit load of copies.

What hurts it though, is Thanksgiving and how no copies will sell tomorrow as all Best Buys will be closed.

Ive also heard rumors, that like with Lil Wayne who sold 1 million his first week, that the label actually buys a great percentage of those albums back to inflate the sales chart to make it appear something is a huge hit thus making people run out and buy it that normally might not.

so Kanye's could be inflated due to the same strategy.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #288 on: November 26, 2008, 11:51:07 PM »

What hurts it though, is Thanksgiving and how no copies will sell tomorrow as all Best Buys will be closed.

Ive also heard rumors, that like with Lil Wayne who sold 1 million his first week, that the label actually buys a great percentage of those albums back to inflate the sales chart to make it appear something is a huge hit thus making people run out and buy it that normally might not.

Alot of people that were fans of Kanyes previous albums
aren't liking his new album as he is singing on it and not rapping,

so I dont think Kanyes album will have the longevity and it wont be a constant seller
like chinese will...

I say let Kanye have his 1 day in the sun as far as being number 1 goes, but hes album sales will die quick

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #289 on: November 26, 2008, 11:52:08 PM »

I don't know either, man.  But, what else is really known at this point sales wise?  

I thought that Soundscan results were only released on a weekly basis.  If that's true, then what are they going off of?

Ali
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #290 on: November 26, 2008, 11:57:54 PM »

LOL! So Kanye outsells GNR and his label is behind it? Wow. Maybe Kanye got his ass on TV and PROMOTED his album, ever think of that? Kanye got his name out there, you know by doing interviews.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
eggers
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #291 on: November 27, 2008, 12:34:38 AM »

That is illegal and they don't do it.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #292 on: November 27, 2008, 12:50:59 AM »

Nah, it wouldn't. Just look at Radiohead: From Kid A on their albums have definitely not been single-oriented either, and yet they've sold like crazy.

All the rules go out the window when it comes to Radiohead!

Alot of people that were fans of Kanyes previous albums
aren't liking his new album as he is singing on it and not rapping,

It's his first album to have two top 5 hits (and these were the first two singles)... Hip hop fans may not enjoy Kanye's singing, but it might attract a more "pop" audience.  Let's face it, Kanye's voice when rapping is just as terrible as his singing voice.... people like him because of the production, hooks and personality on the records... I don't think it will be as big as his previous records, but it will still be popular.

If people start to look at the MUSIC on Chinese Democracy it could be a constant seller, it just might be tough for people to give it a chance with an open mind.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #293 on: November 27, 2008, 12:58:39 AM »

What is the arguement?

GUns N' Roses have a top 40 single already, and the album WILL debut @ #1

What else can you ask for?

I'm loving every second of this!

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #294 on: November 27, 2008, 01:09:54 AM »

GUns N' Roses have a top 40 single already, and the album WILL debut @ #1

Once more...

Kanye?s the king of Thanksgiving week.

West's Roc-a-Fella/Def Jam album, 808s and Heartbreak, in which he tackles the Auto-Tuner and his own inner demons, will be #1 on next Tuesday?s chart with a total that looks to be between 450-500k.
Allman
The Flying Dutchman
Rocker

Rock N' Roll Jesus

« Reply #295 on: November 27, 2008, 03:34:58 AM »

Wow 300k first week in US?, business wise it looks to be a commercial failure in the US at least if the numbers are correct and if second week sales drop off like many albums do these days.
Didn't see that one coming.

Elvis has left the building
Thank you and goodnight
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #296 on: November 27, 2008, 04:24:49 AM »

As was expected, straight to #1 in Finland: http://pop.yle.fi/lista/albumit  peace

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #297 on: November 27, 2008, 04:28:09 AM »

As was expected, straight to #1 in Finland: http://pop.yle.fi/lista/albumit  peace

we rock  beer  hihi

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2008, 05:15:41 AM »

we rock  beer  hihi

Yes we do! We already rocked in 2006 when we got that one extra show Wink

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2008, 05:29:31 AM »

All the rules go out the window when it comes to Radiohead!

Yes and no...
Kid A was there last platinum album, and it sold less than OK Computer. Nothing since has gone more than gold.

Not that those are bad sales, especially for a band that's been so 'out there', but I wouldn't say they've sold like crazy.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: