Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 07:44:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 445673 times)
ecwfan
Rocker

« Reply #1960 on: June 30, 2009, 09:12:24 PM »

is any dl sale included in the 4 million copies sold worldwide?

is there any source out there that confirms that ammount of sold copies?

i haven't seen a confirmation myself but i found it plausible/probable. what link ecwfan?

so i'm guessing that the total is around 3-3.5 million right now?  i wonder if anyone has any more accurate figures?

That link asking about worldwide sales.... well I asked it and it says that as of June 8th , Chinese Democracy has moved 4 million copies world-wide. Which is pretty damn good for a band that had no tour , no music video , etc etc.

Its in the link someone posted about asking worldwide sales. Its now at 4 million. It was at 3 million months ago. Chinese Democracy seems to be the slow burning album seller. One in a few years people  will be looking and saying it moved "That many million copies ...wow ...I had thought it was a failure."
suicide
VIP

« Reply #1961 on: July 01, 2009, 06:26:12 AM »

4 million copies were sold so far without a video, without a tour, without interviews, without whatever. Not bad. That's more copies than GN'R's last album, "The Spaghetti Incident?", sold in it's first year right?

So it seems to me, in the end, most people still buy the albums like they did 16 years ago.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1962 on: July 01, 2009, 09:37:45 AM »

4 million copies were sold so far without a video, without a tour, without interviews, without whatever. Not bad. That's more copies than GN'R's last album, "The Spaghetti Incident?", sold in it's first year right?

So it seems to me, in the end, most people still buy the albums like they did 16 years ago.

Problem there is that you're comparing an album of knock off cover tunes to "one of the most anticipated" albums ever so it's not really apples to apples.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
suicide
VIP

« Reply #1963 on: July 01, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »

Problem there is that you're comparing an album of knock off cover tunes to "one of the most anticipated" albums ever so it's not really apples to apples.
True. But at the same time it does make sense 'cause who would buy an album consisting only of cover tunes? The true GN'R fans right? And who would buy an album they know absolutely nothing about (no singles, videos, ...)? Those same GN'R fans.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1964 on: July 01, 2009, 10:45:05 AM »

Back then people didn't have internet to download the full album or even some of the songs before its release.

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1965 on: July 01, 2009, 10:49:21 AM »

I hate when people knock the Spaghetti incident.  Its a cool album but was never intended to be an actual GNR album. (if that makes sense)

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1966 on: July 01, 2009, 12:07:40 PM »

True. But at the same time it does make sense 'cause who would buy an album consisting only of cover tunes? The true GN'R fans right? And who would buy an album they know absolutely nothing about (no singles, videos, ...)? Those same GN'R fans.

guess that's true with spaghetti that only GNR die-hards would buy it but i know for a fact that cd have won many brand new fans.

It's a slow grower for the masses as expected. Didn't gh go like this?

Back then people didn't have internet to download the full album or even some of the songs before its release.

Plus they weren't in the recession considered to be the worst since the Great Depression of the 1930s.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #1967 on: July 01, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »

How much does the cd sales from Best Buy stand for in the US? Is it considered among the "top 5" record stores?

Anyway.. Even though Michael Jackson's sales have skyrocketed since his death and are topping the lists in many stores (such as amazon), Chinese Democracy is still(!) the #1 seller at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~ccat02001%23%230%23%235cvq~~nf207%7C%7C4344&list=y&nrp=15&sc=musicSP&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&usc=cat02001

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1968 on: July 02, 2009, 01:02:54 AM »

How much does the cd sales from Best Buy stand for in the US? Is it considered among the "top 5" record stores?

Anyway.. Even though Michael Jackson's sales have skyrocketed since his death and are topping the lists in many stores (such as amazon), Chinese Democracy is still(!) the #1 seller at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~ccat02001%23%230%23%235cvq~~nf207%7C%7C4344&list=y&nrp=15&sc=musicSP&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&usc=cat02001
That is a good sign.  Hard to hold off the king of pop in these times.  And I'm not sure what the top 5 record stores are but I'm quite certain that Best Buy doesn't sell a lot of CD's, that's not their bread and butter.  That can clearly be seen with GNR being #1 in their stores as we know that's not selling tons of copies on a weekly basis.  And that is by no means any disrespect to GNR, just an illustration that Best Buy does not equal successul sales numbers.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1969 on: July 02, 2009, 10:31:23 AM »

I would think Best Buy would have to be a top 5 record seller in the US somewhere behind Wal-Mart and Target. Who else is there? Most of the chain record stores like Tower went out of business.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1970 on: July 02, 2009, 10:47:19 AM »

and i didn't see any mj  on the best buy list before so cd still topping at there is dif good news.
good find spirit.  ok
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:32:21 AM by ppbebe » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1971 on: July 02, 2009, 10:49:40 AM »

I would think Best Buy would have to be a top 5 record seller in the US somewhere behind Wal-Mart and Target. Who else is there? Most of the chain record stores like Tower went out of business.
That is true, just goes to show you how bad the state of the record industry really is.  Are FYE's still in business?  They'd be ahead of Best Buy.  Sam Goody isn't around anymore are they?  I guess they must be top 5, but that's not saying much.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1972 on: July 02, 2009, 11:28:26 AM »

That is true, just goes to show you how bad the state of the record industry really is.  Are FYE's still in business?  They'd be ahead of Best Buy.  Sam Goody isn't around anymore are they?  I guess they must be top 5, but that's not saying much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Goody

Did a little research. Looks like Sam Goody and FYE are one and the same now. FYE might be ahead of Best Buy but every time I go in one it seems they're focusing more and more on video games.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1973 on: July 02, 2009, 11:34:40 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Goody

Did a little research. Looks like Sam Goody and FYE are one and the same now. FYE might be ahead of Best Buy but every time I go in one it seems they're focusing more and more on video games.
Yeah I don't think any electronics or Big Box store is focussing on CD's anymore, and there's good reason for that.  I'm waiting for CD's to become obsolete like albums and cassettes.  Hope it doesn't happen, or I'll have to go buy an i-Pod.

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #1974 on: July 02, 2009, 11:42:33 AM »

These FYE type places are ridiculously priced for EVERYTHING!! Its no wonder they all go out of business... Best Buy is not immune to this, especially after Circuit City went down...

Its good to see GNR on top of BB's list, but it has run it course there... It needs a wide spread release!!
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #1975 on: July 02, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »

I hate when people knock the Spaghetti incident.  Its a cool album but was never intended to be an actual GNR album. (if that makes sense)

Thank you..there's not enough people out there saying that SI was a killer album for what it was. Some of my favorite GnR tunes are on that album.

And I think the comparison between SI and CD are fair enough. GnR was hot as hell when that album came out, and CD was out with little promotion what so ever, and about a decade late at least, so it's pretty fuckin' impressive what CD has done. If' you'd asked me 6 months ago if it woulda hit 4 million, I would have said hell no...

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1976 on: July 02, 2009, 01:46:59 PM »

Thank you..there's not enough people out there saying that SI was a killer album for what it was. Some of my favorite GnR tunes are on that album.

And I think the comparison between SI and CD are fair enough. GnR was hot as hell when that album came out, and CD was out with little promotion what so ever, and about a decade late at least, so it's pretty fuckin' impressive what CD has done. If' you'd asked me 6 months ago if it woulda hit 4 million, I would have said hell no...
Plus a LOT MORE CD's were sold in the era The Spaghetti Incident was released.  That goes without saying.  So even though it wasn't original material and to my knowledge it wasn't heavily promoted like AFD and UYI, they were still on tour, still huge, still had Slash and Duff, AND there was no P2P sites and illegal downloading.  So I'd say the comparisons are fair as well.

fear the juggalo 2
Rocker

« Reply #1977 on: July 02, 2009, 02:03:26 PM »

si was heavily promoted. they even made cans of gnr spaghetti & made a video. it was promoted enough for what it was.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1978 on: July 02, 2009, 02:11:52 PM »

maybe the comparison wasn't fair to cd after all.
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #1979 on: July 02, 2009, 03:42:50 PM »

so i'm guessing that the total is around 3-3.5 million right now?  i wonder if anyone has any more accurate figures?
Axl???

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: