Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 12:30:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228146 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 445144 times)
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1900 on: April 06, 2009, 05:47:44 PM »

hey, i thought this was worth mentioning.  I went up to my local DVD/music store the other day (extravision in Dublin) and I noticed that there was a bit of a sale on.  They were selling some shitty DVDs like "Van helsing" for really cheap and I noticed that Chinese Democracy was on sale for like 6.99 euro.  Thats about the same price that music stores over here are currently selling appetite for.  Does this mean they're struggling to get rid of it?

Well here in HMV in england Chinese Democracy is currently in the 2 for ?10 section, which isnt great
But then AC/DCs Black Ice is being iffered for ?8, so it's probably nothing that bad i guess

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1901 on: April 06, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »

hey, i thought this was worth mentioning.  I went up to my local DVD/music store the other day (extravision in Dublin) and I noticed that there was a bit of a sale on.  They were selling some shitty DVDs like "Van helsing" for really cheap and I noticed that Chinese Democracy was on sale for like 6.99 euro.  Thats about the same price that music stores over here are currently selling appetite for.  Does this mean they're struggling to get rid of it?

Well here in HMV in england Chinese Democracy is currently in the 2 for ?10 section, which isnt great
But then AC/DCs Black Ice is being iffered for ?8, so it's probably nothing that bad i guess
I don't think many people are willing to pay the full overblown prices that they usually sell CD's for.  CD sales are way down as it is, and with the way the economy is I don't see many people rushing to pay $15 for a CD.  I usually try to get any CD I want the debut week when it's $10, or when it's on sale for around that amount.  I don't think it's necessarily a bad sign, just a sign of the times.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #1902 on: April 07, 2009, 01:39:26 AM »

Do we know when CD will be sold at other stores beyond Best Buy? I thought it might be May but don't remember reading about anything concrete.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1903 on: April 07, 2009, 03:07:39 AM »

yeah i think someone mentioned may 23rd in some thread.  and yep, i guess the recession is having a BIG impact on CD sales.  I can hardly afford my rent and a new budget today to increase the price of cigarettes and alcohol!  dam it!

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1904 on: April 07, 2009, 05:26:29 AM »

and yep, i guess the recession is having a BIG impact on CD sales. 

someone forgot to tell Metallica and Ac/Dc that..and its piracy that is destroying CD sales...I know over 10 people off the top of my head who have pirated copies of "Chinese Democracy"...and NO they did not get it from me..
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1905 on: April 07, 2009, 07:35:50 AM »

Unfortunately you cant blame poor people for having a pirated copy.  i guess its better to have a fan than not to have a fan cos he cant afford to hear the songs.  Buy a ticket for the show and it should make up for it. 

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #1906 on: April 07, 2009, 08:19:04 AM »

Unfortunately you cant blame poor people for having a pirated copy.  i guess its better to have a fan than not to have a fan cos he cant afford to hear the songs.  Buy a ticket for the show and it should make up for it. 

well, thats one positive outlook on it, as long as the people that have downloaded/pirated the music buy a ticket,
then its all good.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
richwoman
VIP

« Reply #1907 on: April 07, 2009, 08:48:20 AM »

just wanted to point out that u2`s album hasn`t sold that well ,and they had a huge amount of publicity and promotion  for it, axl`s done very little but when the machine starts rolling people will buy it specialy if you can pick it up for about 5 and half quid even i might buy another copy !!!
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1908 on: April 07, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »

well, thats one positive outlook on it, as long as the people that have downloaded/pirated the music buy a ticket,
then its all good.

Hopefully they will buy the tickets.  I own a lot of metallica albums but unfortunately I didnt have the money for Death Magnetic, but im going to pay 76 euro for a ticket to see em this summer so hopefully they'd understand! Smiley 

Leddy
Rocker

Asphinctersayswhat?

« Reply #1909 on: April 07, 2009, 09:56:43 AM »

then its all good.

Hopefully they will buy the tickets.  I own a lot of metallica albums but unfortunately I didnt have the money for Death Magnetic, but im going to pay 76 euro for a ticket to see em this summer so hopefully they'd understand! Smiley 

Never understood this mentality.  It's ok to d/load the album rather than pay ?/$/Euro 10 for it, as long as you go and see them when they tour?  Surely if you can afford the 76 Euro for the ticket you can afford to buy the album?

Just seems that because there's no way to illegally replicate the live experience for free, you are prepared to pay for it.  Whereas you're happy to rip off the album as you don't have to pay for it.  Pretty sad.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1910 on: April 07, 2009, 11:19:15 AM »

Never understood this mentality.  It's ok to d/load the album rather than pay ?/$/Euro 10 for it, as long as you go and see them when they tour?  Surely if you can afford the 76 Euro for the ticket you can afford to buy the album?

Just seems that because there's no way to illegally replicate the live experience for free, you are prepared to pay for it.  Whereas you're happy to rip off the album as you don't have to pay for it.  Pretty sad.

i didnt have the money for it at the time, maybe next time i go to a music store i might buy it.  Don't ya think 76 euro for a concert ticket is a little steep anyways, maybe thats whats really sad! especially taking the recession into account.  and i never said I downloaded the album anyways, maybe I don't have a copy at all.  I own every other metallica album and ive seen them a few times live and bought T shirts etc.  Think about it.

Leddy
Rocker

Asphinctersayswhat?

« Reply #1911 on: April 07, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »

i didnt have the money for it at the time, maybe next time i go to a music store i might buy it.  Don't ya think 76 euro for a concert ticket is a little steep anyways, maybe thats whats really sad! especially taking the recession into account.  and i never said I downloaded the album anyways, maybe I don't have a copy at all.  I own every other metallica album and ive seen them a few times live and bought T shirts etc.  Think about it.

I think 76 Euro is pretty fair.  Perhaps tickets would be cheaper if artists didn't have to make back the lost revenue of people pirating their music?

BTW, buying other albums, t-shirts, tickets etc is never a justification to illegally d/load an album.  you got the value out of those items when you bought them, with no promise of additional benefit.  You are not owed a lifetime of future works free of charge  hihi
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1912 on: April 08, 2009, 03:20:07 AM »

I think 76 Euro is pretty fair.  Perhaps tickets would be cheaper if artists didn't have to make back the lost revenue of people pirating their music?

BTW, buying other albums, t-shirts, tickets etc is never a justification to illegally d/load an album.  you got the value out of those items when you bought them, with no promise of additional benefit.  You are not owed a lifetime of future works free of charge 

i do see your point man, fair enough.  I just think its a bit of a grey area.  I know people that are really into music but can't afford everything they want to listen to.  But eventually they pay for the CDs.  Kinda like taking money off a friend, you give it back when you have it.  Although i appreciate that not everyone does that.  Also, it used to be possible to find some good music on MTV.  But now they only show cribs and my sweet 16!  So you have to pay a lot more money to get the cool music channels.  My only point is that I understand why some people do it.

gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #1913 on: April 08, 2009, 07:48:47 AM »

BTW, buying other albums, t-shirts, tickets etc is never a justification to illegally d/load an album.  you got the value out of those items when you bought them, with no promise of additional benefit.  You are not owed a lifetime of future works free of charge  hihi

I have brought and supported the cds from all my favourite artists

but your logic is wrong,

People will download a cd of chinese democracy for instance, because its exactly the same as buying the 20+buck cd, except, they dont hold anything 'physical' in their hands, which they really couldn't give a shit about , as long as the theiving bastards get their music,

but YOU can't substitute a dvd/bootleg of a gnr show, over a 100$+ ticket to a gnr show,
its just now the same, you don't experience all the anticipation, excitement, happiness ecstacy like emotions that you would when your in a mosh pit, and 5 meters from undoubtedly the best living rock front man peace in the world today.

in conc,
people will always go to concerts, no matter how much the tickets are, because they are guaranteed to see at least some songs they have been listening to since they downloaded the torrent and threw it on their ipod, being performed live in front of their eyes,

but people are lazy, and tight with their money , and would rather save themselves 20 bucks, and not support the artist by just downloading...

Thats why the only real benefit that has came out of piracy, if you want to look at it as a benefit,
as Only bands that can perform GOOD live in concert, and dont rely on computerized effects, and vocal retouching, can succeed long term,
other bands that need all that pro tool retouchings, will be old news a few days after radiostations stop spinning their new pop single.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:51:06 AM by gunns1 » Logged

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1914 on: April 08, 2009, 11:10:28 AM »

those who illigally download cds will most likely be at a show when not everyone that buys their copies will? likely story  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 11:12:58 AM by ppbebe » Logged
Leddy
Rocker

Asphinctersayswhat?

« Reply #1915 on: April 08, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »

I have brought and supported the cds from all my favourite artists

but your logic is wrong,

People will download a cd of chinese democracy for instance, because its exactly the same as buying the 20+buck cd, except, they dont hold anything 'physical' in their hands, which they really couldn't give a shit about , as long as the theiving bastards get their music,

but YOU can't substitute a dvd/bootleg of a gnr show, over a 100$+ ticket to a gnr show,
its just now the same, you don't experience all the anticipation, excitement, happiness ecstacy like emotions that you would when your in a mosh pit, and 5 meters from undoubtedly the best living rock front man peace in the world today.

How is my logic wrong?  Isn't that exactly what I said here?;

in conc,
people will always go to concerts, no matter how much the tickets are, because they are guaranteed to see at least some songs they have been listening to since they downloaded the torrent and threw it on their ipod, being performed live in front of their eyes,

but people are lazy, and tight with their money , and would rather save themselves 20 bucks, and not support the artist by just downloading...

Thats why the only real benefit that has came out of piracy, if you want to look at it as a benefit,
as Only bands that can perform GOOD live in concert, and dont rely on computerized effects, and vocal retouching, can succeed long term,
other bands that need all that pro tool retouchings, will be old news a few days after radiostations stop spinning their new pop single.

I am not sure it really helps.  The vast majority of people d/loading albums, are people that would have previously bought the CD's - this is bourne out by the steady decline in sales figures over the years as piracy has increased.

The belief that suddenly there is a utopian freedom of music that people are educating themselves with, therefore making them far more likely to check out live shows is also very hard to believe.  When you cheapen something (in this case to free) what happens is that people place no value in it, so they become indifferent to the product.  This is probably the biggest damage piracy has done, it's actually made people care less about music.  People used to save up for and treasure there CD collections, having dropped hard cash on CD's meant people gave them a longer "crack of the whip" to impress them.   Now, they are illegally downloaded for free, so if it doesn't blow their doors off at the first listen it's cast aside.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1916 on: April 08, 2009, 01:19:25 PM »

I agree with Leddy. I've been saying similar things.

When you value a cup of coffee more than hours and hours of enjoyment from an album, something's wrong....

People today can't relate to having to get out of the house to go buy the music, meaning you have to get off your ass and spend your own money before hearing the stuff.

Today albums are spread months ahead of their release dates and once the album is released, a bunch of people are already talking about the next one.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1917 on: April 08, 2009, 02:02:52 PM »

I'm not against legal dl tho. payable ones and those artist approved ones. 
I've dled boots seen youtube clips and myspace stuff, which never ruin anything for me.
Leddy
Rocker

Asphinctersayswhat?

« Reply #1918 on: April 08, 2009, 03:37:38 PM »

I agree with Leddy. I've been saying similar things.

When you value a cup of coffee more than hours and hours of enjoyment from an album, something's wrong....

People today can't relate to having to get out of the house to go buy the music, meaning you have to get off your ass and spend your own money before hearing the stuff.

Today albums are spread months ahead of their release dates and once the album is released, a bunch of people are already talking about the next one.

/jarmo

That's true and it's kinda happened with everything though.

I'm sure it can't just be rose tinted glasses, but I remember as a kid in the late 80's - TV shows/films/computer games and albums all being much bigger deals.  The big releases of any of those formats took over our lives and became massive collective experiences.  At school after the favorite TV shows of the day, it was all anyone talked about - how does that happen when we all have 300 channels to watch?

We are all drowning in a sea of easy experiences.  I have DVD's, Blu-Rays, Xbox 360 games and CD's that I've yet to get around to watching/playing/listening to - There are so many things to do/see/experience, how do we give ample gravitas to any artistic product when there's always another one instantly vying for our attention? 

Coincidentally, a mate in the pub on Saturday night explained to me why he wants to live in 1987 - "Back then Leds, we had comparatively shit things but we worshiped them.  My Commodore 64 took 15 minutes to load a 16 colour, 2 sprite game and I thought it was the greatest thing ever.  We won "Top Gun" on VHS and it was the best day of our lives".  "Too true Nico" I replied, "Appetite for Destruction had just come out too".  My mates rolled their eyes, laughed at me and returned to their pints.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1919 on: April 08, 2009, 03:39:42 PM »

Video games seem to be popular and get that kind of attention though.

They have midnight sales for new titles, people play online and get organized to play together etc....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: