Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 08:59:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 441384 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1780 on: February 16, 2009, 02:40:18 PM »

I remember many here hating walmart for the way they treat their employees, the environment and such.
and preferring best buy.

maybe axl went with bestbuy out of integrity.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #1781 on: February 16, 2009, 02:48:30 PM »

it reallyi doesn't make any sense to me either.  ac/dc fans must be retarded or something because it's obvious that they haven't tried to make their band's sound grow and evolve into something artisticly inspiring and completely amazing.  they write short simple little guitar songs that they could have done in 10 minutes.  how can any of their fans be satisfied with that?  meanwhile, axl goes out of his way to make the most complicated and symphonic mixing of styles music and goes out of his way to draft the greatest and most technically amazing musicians of the generation, and what... seriously, fuck the usa.  and fuck ac/dc.  and while we're at it, fuck the record label!!!  i hate them.

And yet, amazingly, the fan bases of GNR and AC/DC overlap considerably.  Perhaps it means people can like more than just one thing?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #1782 on: February 16, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »

it reallyi doesn't make any sense to me either.  ac/dc fans must be retarded or something because it's obvious that they haven't tried to make their band's sound grow and evolve into something artisticly inspiring and completely amazing.  they write short simple little guitar songs that they could have done in 10 minutes.  how can any of their fans be satisfied with that?  meanwhile, axl goes out of his way to make the most complicated and symphonic mixing of styles music and goes out of his way to draft the greatest and most technically amazing musicians of the generation, and what... seriously, fuck the usa.  and fuck ac/dc.  and while we're at it, fuck the record label!!!  i hate them.

And yet, amazingly, the fan bases of GNR and AC/DC overlap considerably.  Perhaps it means people can like more than just one thing?

Shocked Good lord!

Thing is, AC/DC have been going a lot longer than GNR have, they've been consistently popular and this was their first album in 8 years. I realise that that's shorter than the time since GNR's last album but AC/DC are just overall more popular than GNR. That's not taking anything away from GNR, it's just the way it is. No shame in selling less albums than one of the most successful bands in history. Wink

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1783 on: February 16, 2009, 03:46:02 PM »

Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks

Guns N' Roses - Better

Chart Listing For The Week Of Feb 21 2009:

This Week - 27   

Last Week - 23   

Two Weeks Ago - 19   

Weeks on Chart - 12   

Peak Position - 18

Billboard.com

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1784 on: February 16, 2009, 08:50:39 PM »

Shocked Good lord!

Thing is, AC/DC have been going a lot longer than GNR have, they've been consistently popular and this was their first album in 8 years. I realise that that's shorter than the time since GNR's last album but AC/DC are just overall more popular than GNR. That's not taking anything away from GNR, it's just the way it is. No shame in selling less albums than one of the most successful bands in history. Wink

Good Lord, we might have a winner here.

I liked your bit so much, I'm going to cancel the big brouhaha we had scheduled behind the alley.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1785 on: February 16, 2009, 10:03:05 PM »

Out of the Top 100 at least... can't see past that on Billboard without some sort of membership.

Chinese Democracy

Guns N' Roses

Chart Listing For The Week Of Feb 21 2009:

This Week - 127   

Last Week - 91   

Two Weeks Ago - 77   

Weeks on Chart - 11   

Peak Position - 3

Billboard

Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #1786 on: February 17, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »

they write short simple little guitar songs that they could have done in 10 minutes.  how can any of their fans be satisfied with that? 

Because they get what they want?

Some people don't like change.

/jarmo
Simplisity is the most important part about a long lasting rock song if u dont beleve me look at GNR AFD

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #1787 on: February 17, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »

Shocked Good lord!

Good Lord, we might have a winner here.

I liked your bit so much, I'm going to cancel the big brouhaha we had scheduled behind the alley.

Excellent. In that case, I bid you good day, sir.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1788 on: February 17, 2009, 03:31:44 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jWpnvHiyX3JJ0F0aWS-AGcov0xng

LONDON (AFP) ?  the top-selling albums worldwide in 2008, industry figures showed Monday

1. Coldplay -- "Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends"
2. AC/DC -- "Black Ice"
3. Various Artists -- "Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack Featuring The Songs Of ABBA"
4. Duffy -- "Rockferry"
5. Metallica -- "Death Magnetic"
6. Leona Lewis -- "Spirit "
7. Amy Winehouse -- "Back To Black"
8. Various Artists -- "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
9. Lil Wayne -- "Tha Carter III"
10. Rihanna -- "Good Girl Gone Bad"
11. Madonna -- "Hard Candy"
12. Beyonce -- "I Am... Sasha Fierce"
13. Pink -- "Funhouse"
14. Guns N' Roses -- "Chinese Democracy"

not bad for an album released a month before 2009. and limitedly to 1,400 Best Buy stores in the U.S.

ok

The global sales chart makes an album that seemingly disappointed in the U.S. look a lot better in the grand scheme. Madonna?s Hard Candy was the 50th best-selling album in the U.S. in 2008, but scored 11 on the global charts. The same can be said for Guns n? Roses? Chinese Democracy, a chronic Best Buy-only underachiever in the States that sold enough copies around the world to place 14th, ahead of Britney Spears? Circus, Kid Rock?s Rock N Roll Jesus and Kanye West?s 808s & Heartbreak.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/02/17/coldplays-viva-la-vida-tops-2008-global-best-sellers-chart/

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1789 on: February 17, 2009, 05:52:49 PM »

ok

The global sales chart makes an album that seemingly disappointed in the U.S. look a lot better in the grand scheme. Madonna?s Hard Candy was the 50th best-selling album in the U.S. in 2008, but scored 11 on the global charts. The same can be said for Guns n? Roses? Chinese Democracy, a chronic Best Buy-only underachiever in the States that sold enough copies around the world to place 14th, ahead of Britney Spears? Circus, Kid Rock?s Rock N Roll Jesus and Kanye West?s 808s & Heartbreak.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/02/17/coldplays-viva-la-vida-tops-2008-global-best-sellers-chart/

I would have to think this works out well for GNR $$$ wise as well.  Best Buy paid up front for a certain number of copies in the US but worldwide sales are much better.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #1790 on: February 17, 2009, 06:09:53 PM »

UK rock album charts has 5 Guns albums in the top 40  Grin  ok and CD has moved up 4 places this week.

Greatest Hits is #2
CD is #6
AFD is #14
UYI 1 is #30
UYI 2 is #33

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1791 on: February 17, 2009, 07:59:48 PM »

UK rock album charts has 5 Guns albums in the top 40  Grin  ok and CD has moved up 4 places this week.

Greatest Hits is #2
CD is #6
AFD is #14
UYI 1 is #30
UYI 2 is #33
That's pretty impressive, shows the quality of the overall body of work.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1792 on: February 17, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jWpnvHiyX3JJ0F0aWS-AGcov0xng

LONDON (AFP) ?  the top-selling albums worldwide in 2008, industry figures showed Monday

2. AC/DC -- "Black Ice"
3. Various Artists -- "Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack Featuring The Songs Of ABBA"
4. Duffy -- "Rockferry"
13. Pink -- "Funhouse"

not bad for an album released a month before 2009. and limitedly to 1,400 Best Buy stores in the U.S.

ok

that surprised me given the highly publicized low US sales and late release date.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #1793 on: February 18, 2009, 07:21:22 PM »

Now that we are a few months in you have to admit that the sales are pretty impressive. Could sales have been better? yea, but given the situation, I would say this album is far from a flop. No press, no videos, etc and this album is still among the leaders in worldwide sales says something. Its ashame most wont get past the whole band history thing, but if they do, they certainly wont feel let down.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #1794 on: February 18, 2009, 10:57:44 PM »

I keep going back to the fact that there are almost 4 times as many Walmarts in America as Best Buy.  AC/DC has sold almost 4 times as many copies of Black Ice as Chinese Democracy.  Black Ice is just getting more exposure. 

Going to Walmart is not the same as going to Best Buy.  you only go to Best buy for one reason...electronics.  People go to Walmart for everything: groceries, gardening, electronics, clothes, etc.  In some towns...Walmart is the only place to shop.  If every time you go to shop you see a giant AC/DC display...you have more chances at an "impulse" buy.  Also, I was in Walmart and heard them pumping tracks from the new AC/DC.  I have never heard ChiDem being played in a Best Buy.

There's too much negativity about Axl rose in the press.  I can't tell you how many people have pre-judged this album because they hate Axl.  And if you ask them why they hate Axl...they really don't know.  Media hype is a big hurdle to overcome.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1795 on: February 19, 2009, 04:31:26 AM »

you only go to Best buy for one reason...electronics.
I NEVER go to Best Buy for electronics. I go for DVDs and CDs. Always have. People do go to Wal-Mart for a lot of things, but not many go for music exclusively.  The music section at Wal-Mart sucks. No organization, no variety, and maybe one or two albums for each popular band.  I do understand that there are alot of areas in the US that Wal-Mart was the only place to buy music, but with Bestbuy.com, that really didnt matter. Jarmo liked to point out that fact when the whole Best Buy exclusive thing first came out.  If Chinese Democracy was promoted a little bit more, with some emphasis on Bestbuy.com, the number disparity in the stores would have mattered a lot less.
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #1796 on: February 19, 2009, 07:59:52 AM »

you only go to Best buy for one reason...electronics.
I NEVER go to Best Buy for electronics. I go for DVDs and CDs. Always have. People do go to Wal-Mart for a lot of things, but not many go for music exclusively.  The music section at Wal-Mart sucks. No organization, no variety, and maybe one or two albums for each popular band.  I do understand that there are alot of areas in the US that Wal-Mart was the only place to buy music, but with Bestbuy.com, that really didnt matter. Jarmo liked to point out that fact when the whole Best Buy exclusive thing first came out.  If Chinese Democracy was promoted a little bit more, with some emphasis on Bestbuy.com, the number disparity in the stores would have mattered a lot less.

Advertising costs money. Best Buy did their part, and though it wasn't equal to what Wal Mart did, i don't think that's surprising. Wal Mart has tremendous resources, and they frequently are willing to lose money in one area to attract people to their store. During the holiday season for example, they often do this with toys, pricing them lower than anyone else can compete with. Publicity doesn't cost money, and that's where you start thinking of the band involvement, but Axl made it clear that they never planned a big roll out. It's also not unreasonable to want to let the music have some room before they jump into the media fire, because we all know a lot of people were waiting to make this album a joke before it hit.
I definitely think the label could have done a better job of pushing the album and the singles, and i don't know if their failure to do so is because of not wanting to spend money or because of poor organization. It does seem they could have helped create more buzz here in the U.S... but then i stop and think, why would they? I think the best buy exclusive was great, but if the deal didn't have specific requirements in terms of marketing or promotion, then i think we got what you'd expect.
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #1797 on: February 19, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »

in the end they should have sent the CDs of CD to a much more diverse type of store that way alot more people would see that hay are they selling CD i wounder if its that 15 year old GNR project

Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #1798 on: March 01, 2009, 11:19:09 AM »

The top 20 selling albums worldwide in 2008:

2. AC/DC -- "Black Ice"
4. Duffy -- "Rockferry"
13. Pink -- "Funhouse"
15. Britney Spears -- "Circus"
16. Jack Johnson -- "Sleep Through The Static"
17. Il Divo -- "The Promise"
18. Taylor Swift -- "Fearless"
19. Jonas Brothers -- "A Little Bit Longer"
20. Various Artists -- "Camp Rock"

So much for "laying an egg". That's with no tour or promotion of any kind.

Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #1799 on: March 01, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »

The top 20 selling albums worldwide in 2008:

2. AC/DC -- "Black Ice"
4. Duffy -- "Rockferry"
13. Pink -- "Funhouse"
15. Britney Spears -- "Circus"
16. Jack Johnson -- "Sleep Through The Static"
17. Il Divo -- "The Promise"
18. Taylor Swift -- "Fearless"
19. Jonas Brothers -- "A Little Bit Longer"
20. Various Artists -- "Camp Rock"

So much for "laying an egg". That's with no tour or promotion of any kind.
14 not bad for it being sold by the end of the year and with not the best sales from the US

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: