Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 05:48:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 444967 times)
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #1260 on: December 23, 2008, 04:19:58 PM »

Return of the king  ok

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #1261 on: December 24, 2008, 04:53:12 AM »

One of my friends is home from college for the holidays, and as we were hanging out the other day he says to me, "So, I guess you're pretty excited--- Chinese Democracy is coming out pretty soon." I was like, "Dude, it came out a month ago." My friend had no idea it was already out, and it's not like he lives under a rock or anything. He watches T.V.; he's on the internet every day; he listens to the radio ... He isn't really a fan--- He owns the Greatest Hits and that's it--- But still, it just proves to me that a large majority of the general public really have no idea that this album has finally been released. My friend had heard "Chinese Democracy" on the radio; that's the only "promotion" he'd seen or heard.

I don't think the lack of sales have much to do with a declining interest or relevance in GNR, but moreso with lack of promotion. You guys would be surprised at just how many people don't know that the album is out. And I bet there's probably been a lot of people who heard the album was out, then went to Wal-Mart or their local record store, only to learn that it's a Best Buy exclusive.

As time goes on, as more people learn about the album, and especially once the exclusive with Best Buy lifts, allowing much more popular chains like Wal-Mart to sell the album, Chinese Democracy will sell plenty. It's definitely a gradual thing.

Here Today . . .
otgm
Opening Act

Personal text

« Reply #1262 on: December 24, 2008, 07:36:15 AM »

These lyrics come to mind: "Don't you try to stop us now.........I just refuse!"
And: "No one ever told me when I was alone. They just thought I'd know better"

It's funny when you look back now. Most of us thought that Chinese Democracy would never be released. That it was an inside joke. Axl didn't even have to bother with another cd. He has made enough money to survive for the rest of his natural life. Yet because he has a certain admiration towards his fans he released a cd for us.

It's not like Axl is the only one who hasn't got a financial need to release anything... it doesn't tell anything of how he treats his fans. I think in that respect Axl has been pretty fucking shitty towards his fans, most (even older) bands who don't have a financial need to do anything anymore have given their fans a lot more during this past 15 year old period than Axl.

Been hidin' out and layin' low
It's nuthin' new ta me
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1263 on: December 24, 2008, 09:54:49 AM »

It's not like Axl is the only one who hasn't got a financial need to release anything... it doesn't tell anything of how he treats his fans. I think in that respect Axl has been pretty fucking shitty towards his fans, most (even older) bands who don't have a financial need to do anything anymore have given their fans a lot more during this past 15 year old period than Axl.

Another one who feels he's "owed"....  hihi

It's interesting how few nice things you have to say.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
italysfinest1985
Rocker

Riding on the night train...

« Reply #1264 on: December 24, 2008, 10:01:07 AM »

Anyone have the official US Sales Figures as of right now?

Guns N Roses Custom Reunion Trailer (Axl & Slash)
https://youtu.be/7NdNrNslYkU
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1265 on: December 24, 2008, 10:02:29 AM »

/jarmo

Yeah, I just don't get that sentiment.  Neither, apparently, does Axl....at least he doesn't if the quote from Sorry is to be taken in that context (see below signature quote).

And, I gotta be honest....I don't get the obsession with album sales, either.  I mean, sure...it's an interesting conversation, but I don't get the absoluteness of the conversations.

I LOVE the album.  Whether it sells 500,000 copies or 50 million copies, I still enjoy it.  To me, that's enough.  The rest is just sort of interesting pass times.  I know the rest of the world will likely measure the success of this album by how many copies it sells.  I won't.  It's not that I don't think it's a fair measuring stick...it likely is on some level..but for the FANS, I just don't think it should be all THAT important. 

Just MHO.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 10:07:17 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1266 on: December 24, 2008, 10:42:35 AM »

One of my friends is home from college for the holidays, and as we were hanging out the other day he says to me, "So, I guess you're pretty excited--- Chinese Democracy is coming out pretty soon." I was like, "Dude, it came out a month ago." My friend had no idea it was already out, and it's not like he lives under a rock or anything. He watches T.V.; he's on the internet every day; he listens to the radio ... He isn't really a fan--- He owns the Greatest Hits and that's it--- But still, it just proves to me that a large majority of the general public really have no idea that this album has finally been released. My friend had heard "Chinese Democracy" on the radio; that's the only "promotion" he'd seen or heard.

I don't think the lack of sales have much to do with a declining interest or relevance in GNR, but moreso with lack of promotion. You guys would be surprised at just how many people don't know that the album is out. And I bet there's probably been a lot of people who heard the album was out, then went to Wal-Mart or their local record store, only to learn that it's a Best Buy exclusive.

As time goes on, as more people learn about the album, and especially once the exclusive with Best Buy lifts, allowing much more popular chains like Wal-Mart to sell the album, Chinese Democracy will sell plenty. It's definitely a gradual thing.

Very well said.  So many people aren't even aware that it is out and without promotion, the entire perception of it is skewed.  This will be a consistent gradual thing.  I really feel that in the long run, this album will be a very strong seller and if they eventually release 'This I Love' as a single, it will really take off. 
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1267 on: December 24, 2008, 11:00:42 AM »

charting.....no it don't really matter. you'll find out for yourself.
italysfinest1985
Rocker

Riding on the night train...

« Reply #1268 on: December 24, 2008, 12:59:17 PM »

charting.....no it don't really matter. you'll find out for yourself.

Genius.  Cheesy

Guns N Roses Custom Reunion Trailer (Axl & Slash)
https://youtu.be/7NdNrNslYkU
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1269 on: December 25, 2008, 10:42:19 AM »

US SALES
255341+56230+47000+55809= 414380

WORLDWIDE

72000+640000+250000+194000= 1156000
justincrowe
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1270 on: December 25, 2008, 12:35:46 PM »

US SALES

WORLDWIDE

correct. it should go gold in the us in a matter of weeks. worldwide it's doing good also.

the album seems to be a slow burner like the latest Kid Rock and Lenny Kravitz albums, as well as Buckcherry's 15.

not that i care either way. the album is great.

08.14.91 - Icehall, Helsinki, Finland
07.06.06 - Hartwall Arena, Helsinki, Finland
ecwfan
Rocker

« Reply #1271 on: December 25, 2008, 12:37:42 PM »

US SALES

WORLDWIDE

correct. it should go gold in the us in a matter of weeks. worldwide it's doing good also.

the album seems to be a slow burner like the latest Kid Rock and Lenny Kravitz albums, as well as Buckcherry's 15.

Wasn't 1st week sales 261,000 ? So thats another 6,000 that should be there ....and isn't ITunes not counted on the chart ?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1272 on: December 25, 2008, 01:40:01 PM »

US SALES

WORLDWIDE

Wasn't 1st week sales 261,000 ? So thats another 6,000 that should be there ....and isn't ITunes not counted on the chart ?
Yes, first week sales were 261, 000, not 255K.

I have heard conflicting reports about iTunes.  I think it should be counted in the soundscan numbers, but I read that there were 25, 000 iTunes album downloads on Nov 23rd that did not get counted towards first sales.  That may or may not be correct.

Ali
ecwfan
Rocker

« Reply #1273 on: December 25, 2008, 01:53:29 PM »

I'm gonna go along with Jarmo ....that there is basically more people that have the album than whats listed. With ability to rip the album off the Myspace , the ITunes not counting etc etc. I'd bet there is many who have it.
otgm
Opening Act

Personal text

« Reply #1274 on: December 25, 2008, 04:47:18 PM »

/jarmo

Owed? Where did I say that? It's interesting how you're unable to read. I don't feel like Axl owes me anything, I just said that he treats his fans like dirt and has always done so. Why do you take everything negative about Axl so personally?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 05:04:02 PM by otgm » Logged

Been hidin' out and layin' low
It's nuthin' new ta me
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1275 on: December 25, 2008, 05:18:05 PM »

Personally? Speaking of not being able to read....

I don't feel like I've been treated like shit.

Maybe it's because I don't go around thinking I'm owed all kinds of stuff by him? Maybe I'm just grateful for the amazing music he's put out for me to enjoy?

Smiley

He did online chats with his fans not too long ago and just wished us all happy holidays.

I guess that's "treating his fans like shit"....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #1276 on: December 25, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »

Personally? Speaking of not being able to read....

I don't feel like I've been treated like shit.

Maybe it's because I don't go around thinking I'm owed all kinds of stuff by him? Maybe I'm just grateful for the amazing music he's put out for me to enjoy?

Smiley

He did online chats with his fans not too long ago and just wished us all happy holidays.

I guess that's "treating his fans like shit"....

/jarmo
you tell him Jarmo i mean Axl even answered ?'s straight up from the true fans so people like that seriously got to think before they say shit like that man
Peace

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #1277 on: December 25, 2008, 11:46:34 PM »

Sorry if this has been talked about already, but did Best Buy drop the bag on CD's release?  All I know is that when I went to my store a full week after CD had come out (I was in Europe when it dropped and the euro is kicking the dollars ass, hehe) they DID NOT even have it in the store and there was zero promotion!

Another week later I walked by and there was a gigantic poster in the storefront about CD and it being the most anticipated album of all time (meanwhile the poster had come up 2 weeks later and they didn't even have it in stock a week after it was released).

Does anyone know of other Best Buys sucking balls like this one or have any personal stories about it?  Definitely couldn't have helped sales for the first week.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #1278 on: December 26, 2008, 11:56:44 AM »

Sorry if this has been talked about already, but did Best Buy drop the bag on CD's release?  All I know is that when I went to my store a full week after CD had come out (I was in Europe when it dropped and the euro is kicking the dollars ass, hehe) they DID NOT even have it in the store and there was zero promotion!

Another week later I walked by and there was a gigantic poster in the storefront about CD and it being the most anticipated album of all time (meanwhile the poster had come up 2 weeks later and they didn't even have it in stock a week after it was released).

Does anyone know of other Best Buys sucking balls like this one or have any personal stories about it?  Definitely couldn't have helped sales for the first week.

Yeah it wasn't too bad at my local BB, but it definitely got better a week or two later. When it first came out i don't think i would have noticed it if i wasn't looking for it, but since then (and as recently as last week), it's everywhere in the front of the store.
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #1279 on: December 26, 2008, 03:24:05 PM »

Owed? Where did I say that? It's interesting how you're unable to read. I don't feel like Axl owes me anything, I just said that he treats his fans like dirt and has always done so. Why do you take everything negative about Axl so personally?

Yeah. Axl hates the fans. Have fun listening to Contrabland.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: