Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:29:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose on Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Singers List"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose on Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Singers List"  (Read 2651 times)
Silverchair
Rocker

« on: November 12, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/24161972/page/64

Updated today I believe...

He's #64. I don't agree with the majority of the list... but hey... what do I know???

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
mrarkadin
Headliner

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:38:26 AM »

Should've been higher, but at least he made the list. Considering he has so few songs to go from.... Lets see what they say after Chinese Democracy is out.
muthastone
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:50:30 AM »

This also looks like GnR won't be getting the cover story this upcoming issue either.
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:59:27 AM »

fuck rolling stone.  i fucking hate them so much.  they don't know shit.  it makes me realy mad to know that so many people will buy this magazine and read this list and think that its' right because the high and mighty rolling stone said so. 
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 12:05:32 PM »

This also looks like GnR won't be getting the cover story this upcoming issue either.

Well, AC/DC is the current cover...I believe the album dropped a few days (week?) before, so who knows...maybe the following issue. I'm sure they'll be headed to the cover again eventually.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 12:15:03 PM »

Rolling Stone are horrible with list.

This is even shittier than their guitarist list. Aguilera over mariah Carey by 30 spots? are u shitting me?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 01:10:25 PM »

I have nothing against Nirvana, but come on, Kurt ahead of Axl?  Roll Eyes rant

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 01:12:27 PM »

They try to "shock" people with their weird lists and "unique" picks and locations on the list.  Sure Aretha Franklin is a great singer and such...but Rock n Roll??  It's almost like VH1's top artists of all time when The Beatles weren't mentioned...but The Kinks were on there...oh well.

Anyway, these lists...like the reviews...are only as reliable as the person(s) writing them and/or how you feel about them.  

There was a magazine, I believe Classic Rock Magazine or something like that...which seperated various categories and rated each frontman based on 5 different qualities...and then added them up and put them in order...which makes sense.  Rolling Stone won't do that because that would make too much sense...and their issue and list would be too predictable...so they have to "shock" you with an Aretha Franklin at #1 or a Jerry Garcia/Kurt Cobain in the top 10 guitarists of all time list...

In short, they're idiots...

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »

This is even shittier than their guitarist list. Aguilera over mariah Carey by 30 spots? are u shitting me?
Don't forget Cobain over Axl and Steven Tyler by over 20 spots. And no Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell, either.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 01:16:35 PM »

Kurt Cobain was a phony.  He pretended to not want to be in the spot light...while claiming Axl's image has "been done many times before"...meanwhile he would graze just as many covers of Rolling Stone...interview just as much on MTV and make even more music videos. 

I think he ultimately realized he had become everything he pretended he hated...and after realizing he was a phony...he ended his life.

Nirvana wasn't bad...don't get me wrong...but Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone, nearly any other band from Seattle...was superior...

And Axl Rose makes Kurt Cobain look like a hobo on the street...

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
Josh
Headliner

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 01:22:16 PM »

I haven't seen the list yet, but RS is so predictable I can tell you about how it goes using a very simple formula:

showmanship... +1 point
longevity... +1 point
'underground'... +1 point
lyrical genius... +10 points
large cultural impact... +10 points
actual singing ability... +10 points
popular since 1990... -10 points
popular before 1974... +100 points
dead... +100 points

Using this formula I predict the top 10 to include Ray Charles, Elvis, Dylan, Joplin, and everybody who ever thought of calling themselves a Beatle (but Lennon > McCartney since dead > live).  They'll throw in Aretha Franklin or Marvin Gaye to give the list some actual credibility.  Do I get a kewpie doll?
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »

Freddie Mercury is only #18 on that list. There goes any credibility such a list could possibly have. Good luck convincing anyone who's ever heard his voice that he's not one of the top 5 singers in pop music history.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 01:42:38 PM »

What a joke! That top 10 says it all. The greatest singer bullshit 100 lists will always be subjective to the individual listener. In reality there's no such thing as the greatest singer ever. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:46:22 PM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 05:23:48 PM »

Okay, so RS hits newsstands this Friday with 4 different covers...I'm assuming not GNR related.  That would mean the next issue hits newsstands on November 29th six days after Chinese Democracy has been released.  Hopefully, it'll be Axl and the band on the cover.....but, as a die-hard fan, I've learned not to hold my breath.  Smiley

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
reed2009
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »

Kurt Cobain was a phony.  He pretended to not want to be in the spot light...while claiming Axl's image has "been done many times before"...meanwhile he would graze just as many covers of Rolling Stone...interview just as much on MTV and make even more music videos. 

I think he ultimately realized he had become everything he pretended he hated...and after realizing he was a phony...he ended his life.

Nirvana wasn't bad...don't get me wrong...but Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone, nearly any other band from Seattle...was superior...

And Axl Rose makes Kurt Cobain look like a hobo on the street...

so fucking true! cobain sucked fucking way overrated

scraped
burnz007
Rocker

Kick'n back in the shadows...

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »

fuck rolling stone.  i fucking hate them so much.  they don't know shit.  it makes me realy mad to know that so many people will buy this magazine and read this list and think that its' right because the high and mighty rolling stone said so. 

Well to be fair, Rolling Stone did not compile the list, from their site:
"Each voter was asked to list his or her 20 favorite vocalists from the rock era, in order of their importance. Those ballots were recorded and weighted according to methodology developed by the accounting firm of Ernst & Young, which then tabulated and verified the results for Rolling Stone."

The list of voters (mostly other singers) is here:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/24161972/page/101
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: