Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 05:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What a great time this is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What a great time this is.  (Read 6994 times)
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 09:06:48 PM »

The great times starts now!!  hihi  Just had to!  peace

Peace and respect!!

King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 10:05:31 PM »

As the Chinese Democracy release draws ever closer, I find myself as excited about this as a 10 year old on Christmas Day.

In fact, for me, November 23rd, 2008 is my Christmas. This is what I have wanted practically more than anything in the last ten plus years. A new Guns N' Roses album. Finally.

From the first time I heard Appetite For Destruction from beginning to end on October 10, 1987....I knew this was my band. Axl Rose was like the big brother I didn't have. A guy who alternately wore his anger and his tenderness on his sleeve. He was someone who spoke to me through his song lyrics in a way that no other singer had ever done before.

Flash forward twenty-one years, and here we are. I'm 38 now, been through a messy separation, trying to be the best dad I can to my kids, trying not to let all the bullshit overwhelm me. The knowledge that a new Guns N' Roses album was eventually coming is what kept me going through all the tough times. It didn't matter to me who else besides Axl was in the band. I always felt that Axl was the brains, the heart, and the soul of GN'R, and as long as he was there, I knew I had something to look forward to.

No doubt in my mind that some of these songs on Chinese Democracy will speak to me the same way songs from the older GN'R albums did. Axl may be older, but so am I, and I can't wait to put on a set of headphones and be totally absorbed by his singing and lyrics.

November 23rd....so close now, but yet not close enough. When I finally have the CD in my hands, I just might shed a tear or two. Sounds wimpy, but I don't care. It means that much to me that Guns N' Roses are back.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 10:20:01 PM »

Great fucking post!

I feel it in a similar way. I was only 8 years old when the Illusions were released, but I got to hear them through friends in school, and when my parents bought me the UYI2 cassette, I was sold. I bought all the other cassettes for my pocket money, and spent the following 6 years listening to the cassettes until they fucking broke. I used to sit on the floor with my ear against that age old cassette player from the seventies my mom gave me, and I could sit there listening to the cassettes for hours at a time, completely consumed by them and in my own world. Then in '98 I decided to buy all the cd's, and around the same time I first found out about what Axl was up to on the internet. That was around the time of the Phoenix arrest, and it was on this very site I read about it. At the time that was the only news available, together with Duff and Slash's solo project. Well, I won't get into my internet history with GN'R, but fast forward, the release of Oh My God, RIR3, message boards, endless waiting and finally getting to attend a couple of GN'R concerts and fulfilling a lifelong dream, here I am, anxious as hell about the imminent release of Chinese Democracy.

Axl was always my favourite too, and I used not to care as much about the rest of the guys. He was, and still is, my idol, a brilliant songwriter, an inspiration and a fucking hero I feel I grew up listening to. I relate to the guy on so many levels. I think that is part of the reason why I have accepted this GN'R just as much, if not more, as the old one. Axl is and will always be GN'R to me.

The release of Chinese Democracy feels like an end of a chapter in my life, and the start of a new one, to be honest. I have waited for new GN'R material essentially since the Illusions came out, and that era is about to come to a close. It feels emotional, nostalgic and fucking amazing. Seeing Axl rule the music world again will feel like a dream come true for me. A dream I feel I have been very much a part of.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 10:21:12 PM »

I was the first person in my town to own the Illusion albums. I had to skip a sophomore class in high school to get them.

Now I'm nearing my mid-30s, I have three kids, a mortgage, a career ... yet I'm still giddy. I can't wait.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »

WOMBAT!!!!  Grin

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
dungbeetle
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 10:29:43 PM »

Great fucking post!

I feel it in a similar way. I was only 8 years old when the Illusions were released, but I got to hear them through friends in school, and when my parents bought me the UYI2 cassette, I was sold. I bought all the other cassettes for my pocket money, and spent the following 6 years listening to the cassettes until they fucking broke. I used to sit on the floor with my ear against that age old cassette player from the seventies my mom gave me, and I could sit there listening to the cassettes for hours at a time, completely consumed by them and in my own world. Then in '98 I decided to buy all the cd's, and around the same time I first found out about what Axl was up to on the internet. That was around the time of the Phoenix arrest, and it was on this very site I read about it. At the time that was the only news available, together with Duff and Slash's solo project. Well, I won't get into my internet history with GN'R, but fast forward, the release of Oh My God, RIR3, message boards, endless waiting and finally getting to attend a couple of GN'R concerts and fulfilling a lifelong dream, here I am, anxious as hell about the imminent release of Chinese Democracy.

Axl was always my favourite too, and I used not to care as much about the rest of the guys. He was, and still is, my idol, a brilliant songwriter, an inspiration and a fucking hero I feel I grew up listening to. I relate to the guy on so many levels. I think that is part of the reason why I have accepted this GN'R just as much, if not more, as the old one. Axl is and will always be GN'R to me.

The release of Chinese Democracy feels like an end of a chapter in my life, and the start of a new one, to be honest. I have waited for new GN'R material essentially since the Illusions came out, and that era is about to come to a close. It feels emotional, nostalgic and fucking amazing. Seeing Axl rule the music world again will feel like a dream come true for me. A dream I feel I have been very much a part of.

Got CDs in 1998?  Christ at this rate you will have a DVD player by 2012

Dont eat cheese after midnight
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 10:33:39 PM »

Haha, right on. I actually have one, but not until recently. I was listening to the cassettes on walk-man around '98 actually, I didn't have a disc-man until like '99, and I upgraded that one to an mp3 player recently, believe it or not. I still don't have iPod or iTunes or Myspace or any of that shit. My friends tell me I live in the stone-age, but fact is I like to hold on to the past as long as I can hihi

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

GN'R 2010!!!
Ak1nney
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 10:36:50 PM »

That's what the old folks say, but everytime I see them makes me wish I had a gun.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 10:38:35 PM »

That's what the old folks say, but everytime I see them makes me wish I had a gun.

I love that CITR quote. My clinging onto the past does not really reflect my age, though. I'm 25, fuckhead hihi

GN'R 2010!!!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 10:46:30 PM »

It sounds cliche...

more than you could imagine.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2008, 11:10:11 PM »

to me it means i get to buy a brand new Guns N' Roses album as a teen like many of you lucky bastards did when UYI came out or when AFD came out (for you older folks). It means most of all to me that i don't have to even worry about if i'm ever going to hear these new songs and then try to find out who has them and then try to scam them (them, being the bastard hoarders) into just giving me a clip.

CHINESE DEMOCRACY HAS JUST BEGUN headbanger

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
fr8train
Opening Act

G n f R

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2008, 11:17:10 PM »

Wife and kids alseep...
Sitting by the pc...
Giving TWAT a really good listen with the headphones on...
I gotta tell you that &%^$in' song rocks.
I've been listening to it on and off for a few years now and I just can't get over the brilliance of it
That solo or should I says solos, they really get me and AXL screaming and pouring his heart out along with them.
Man I gotta tell ya, its magical !!!
2 sundays left
This is becoming unreal, I dont think we ever thought this day would come and that it would feel so good.
I was in college when I stumbled upon this site back in 1997.
Now just days away and now CHINESE DEMOCRACY is ours.

I dont know if this was worth a new thread but I just had to let that out. Thanks for listenening.

20+ yrs of R&R
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2008, 11:51:59 PM »

It sounds cliche...

more than you could imagine.

What's that supposed to mean?

GN'R 2010!!!
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 12:53:22 AM »

As the Chinese Democracy release draws ever closer, I find myself as excited about this as a 10 year old on Christmas Day.

In fact, for me, November 23rd, 2008 is my Christmas. This is what I have wanted practically more than anything in the last ten plus years. A new Guns N' Roses album. Finally.

From the first time I heard Appetite For Destruction from beginning to end on October 10, 1987....I knew this was my band. Axl Rose was like the big brother I didn't have. A guy who alternately wore his anger and his tenderness on his sleeve. He was someone who spoke to me through his song lyrics in a way that no other singer had ever done before.

Flash forward twenty-one years, and here we are. I'm 38 now, been through a messy separation, trying to be the best dad I can to my kids, trying not to let all the bullshit overwhelm me. The knowledge that a new Guns N' Roses album was eventually coming is what kept me going through all the tough times. It didn't matter to me who else besides Axl was in the band. I always felt that Axl was the brains, the heart, and the soul of GN'R, and as long as he was there, I knew I had something to look forward to.

No doubt in my mind that some of these songs on Chinese Democracy will speak to me the same way songs from the older GN'R albums did. Axl may be older, but so am I, and I can't wait to put on a set of headphones and be totally absorbed by his singing and lyrics.

November 23rd....so close now, but yet not close enough. When I finally have the CD in my hands, I just might shed a tear or two. Sounds wimpy, but I don't care. It means that much to me that Guns N' Roses are back.

Dude, me 2. Shit I think I just shed a tear getting called an "Older Folk" by CHINESE DEMOCRACY eventually (I am 34). Dude, yes. This shit right here is so real. I share a lot with you old man.

The fact that this moment is happening to all of us, total strangers making the exact same connection to this one thing. And fuck yea Chief it is good to be back. This is the first place I have registered to, to talk Guns N' Roses. With Chinese Democracy's release on the 23rd (Holy fuck!) it just feels right to be back. I just hope when GNR tours again around, we can all hook up like in Vegas in '06, and celebrate. Me and you were like two fucking ships passing in the night.

November 23rd is becoming such a big deal that my whole life is almost completely getting effected by it. I have a father-in-law who wants to do his own thanksgiving with us that weekend (and making him get it through his dumb face that he can't come over that Sunday), my job and working out what days I can work late so I can try and free up some time for when I am going to need it most. My Uncle who is getting out of the hospital after being paralyzed from the waist down in a motorcycle accident is getting to go home soon. "They" better not even think about releasing him on the 23rd! I would go to the hospital on the 22nd and tell the doctor "no way" after slipping my uncle a mickey in his I.V. drip. Nobody better do shit and fuck with me until at least the 25th. People better be cool. Or its their ass.

11 days Gunners!

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 01:13:53 AM »

I've lurked for the past 6 years and posted for the past 4. Met a bunch of you at mustang harry's on the 12th. through all this wait and all this shit, i'm in a really tough position. for the past few years or so i didn't post much at all because there wasn't much to talk about (besides the tour).. now i don't post much because i'm just, honest to god, SPEECHLESS! i can't believe this will finally happen.

honestly, as excited as i am for this album and as happy as i will be the day i have it in my hands.. i can't picture myself driving out of that best buy parking lot and NOT have tears in my eyes as i drive away blasting it.

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
emergency
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 01:21:17 AM »

some ones nuts
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 01:51:25 AM »

We will never forget this time. We are Guns N' Roses who are getting rewarded. This reward, with all of its hype and mythos, actually delivered. Think about that. Think about things that can be compared to this. Off the top of my head I think of Coppolla and his Godfather 3. Or my hero Lucas with Episode 1. But unlike those 2 Axl delivered.

He sure fuckin' did! ok

sometimes i catch myself wondering whether these songs are actually that good or whether i have unconsciously forced myself to adore them! cause i know that my internal psychic economy could not afford getting dissapointed with CD ok (dont know if i make any sense at all...)

PS. where's ppbebe? Huh

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:54:38 AM by greekmule » Logged

homo homini lupus...
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 02:06:16 AM »

Dude, the songs are that good. If they weren't, we would be the biggest critics. I am a huge fan of Star Wars, there was no way Episode 1 wasn't going to be the best things ever. Well, it uh... wasn't. I know what you mean but let the Rolling Stone review be some assurance to what you really do know already. Haven't you had a moment like what fr8train described when he heard TWAT? I don't know why I asked that because of course you have. I think we all have. Its because it is THAT good. Axl made us feel THAT before, and so we know what THAT feeling is like. We never felt THAT during TSI incident so we know he hasn't always given us THAT but, we know that he did here. Felt that a lot over the years.

I can't get over how great the music sounds quality wise. I am basing this solely on the CD single. Its an amazing production. Very high quality, and I can pick up something new every time I listen to it. The possibilities for the rest are exciting as hell.

greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 02:17:19 AM »

Dude, the songs are that good. If they weren't, we would be the biggest critics. I am a huge fan of Star Wars, there was no way Episode 1 wasn't going to be the best things ever. Well, it uh... wasn't. I know what you mean but let the Rolling Stone review be some assurance to what you really do know already. Haven't you had a moment like what fr8train described when he heard TWAT? I don't know why I asked that because of course you have. I think we all have. Its because it is THAT good. Axl made us feel THAT before, and so we know what THAT feeling is like. We never felt THAT during TSI incident so we know he hasn't always given us THAT but, we know that he did here. Felt that a lot over the years.

I can't get over how great the music sounds quality wise. I am basing this solely on the CD single. Its an amazing production. Very high quality, and I can pick up something new every time I listen to it. The possibilities for the rest are exciting as hell.

during my 26 years in life music made me cry 3 times:

1)when the first minute of better leaked and i heard axls voice
2)first time i heard TWAT
3)first time i heard Catcher

So yeah i know what you talking about ok but sometimes i really catch myself wondering, are the songs THAT good or my mind perceives them so?

homo homini lupus...
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 02:58:03 AM »

Well, compare it to something else. has your mind ever let you down before?

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: