Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 04:50:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rolling Stone reviews Chinese Democracy
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone reviews Chinese Democracy  (Read 25993 times)
axljungle
Rocker

« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2008, 05:23:16 PM »

Good Review!!!  ok

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2008, 05:55:53 PM »

I am really happy RS review came first. This gives all other so called journalists a base to go bye. The fact that it is so well written and thought out, based solely on the merits of the music itself is fanfuckingtastic. It puts the others right in check from the get go. Do they judge it on its own merits, or do they get into douche territory.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »

mullethead writes:

Axl has delivered his magnum opus, an album that's not too far away from something the old band would have made if the former members hadn't been too shortsighted and stubborn to expand upon what they had already done.

Rose was smart enough to realize that they could never make another Appetite For Destruction, as that was a snapshot of a place they were in at that particular time, a place that they would never return to. There are still plenty of elements of what made GnR a household name on display. Better is a prime example, a hook heavy, radio friendly song that is nonetheless hard rocking, and completely distinct from the music of any other popular rock band at the moment.

But rather than try desperately to pass himself off as the angry young man he was in 1987, Rose has taken on a more reflective mindset.

Oh sure, he still displays some of the venomous, nihilistic lyricism he did during the old days, but he has matured as a songwriter. Nowhere is this more clear than in Sorry, a scathing "fuck you" of a song. In the past, Rose probably would have been tempted to display these types of emotions in a brutal, aggressive song. Here, he makes his words that much more potent, presenting them in a deliberately paced musical environment that is Pink Floyd-esque during the verses but contains on assault of ominous, grinding, monstrously heavy guitars during the unforgettable chorus, with a gorgeous guitar solo included for good measure.

From top to bottom this is the type of ambitious, over the top mainstream rock album that has become all but extinct in the modern era. It retains the style and sound of GnR but embraces the bombastic, unapologetic extravagance of 70's era Queen, combining other influences as wide ranging as Isaac Hayes to White Zombie, with some of the most intensely personal lyrical content that Axl has ever written. Anyone who writes it off because Slash isn't there or because it took a long time to make is depriving themselves of one of the greatest rock albums in the past decade just for the sake of being petty or doing what they view as cool, and frankly it's their loss.

Nov 11, 2008 12:54:51

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2008, 08:17:32 PM »

mullethead writes:

Axl has delivered his magnum opus, an album that's not too far away from something the old band would have made if the former members hadn't been too shortsighted and stubborn to expand upon what they had already done.

Rose was smart enough to realize that they could never make another Appetite For Destruction, as that was a snapshot of a place they were in at that particular time, a place that they would never return to. There are still plenty of elements of what made GnR a household name on display. Better is a prime example, a hook heavy, radio friendly song that is nonetheless hard rocking, and completely distinct from the music of any other popular rock band at the moment.

But rather than try desperately to pass himself off as the angry young man he was in 1987, Rose has taken on a more reflective mindset.

Oh sure, he still displays some of the venomous, nihilistic lyricism he did during the old days, but he has matured as a songwriter. Nowhere is this more clear than in Sorry, a scathing "fuck you" of a song. In the past, Rose probably would have been tempted to display these types of emotions in a brutal, aggressive song. Here, he makes his words that much more potent, presenting them in a deliberately paced musical environment that is Pink Floyd-esque during the verses but contains on assault of ominous, grinding, monstrously heavy guitars during the unforgettable chorus, with a gorgeous guitar solo included for good measure.

From top to bottom this is the type of ambitious, over the top mainstream rock album that has become all but extinct in the modern era. It retains the style and sound of GnR but embraces the bombastic, unapologetic extravagance of 70's era Queen, combining other influences as wide ranging as Isaac Hayes to White Zombie, with some of the most intensely personal lyrical content that Axl has ever written. Anyone who writes it off because Slash isn't there or because it took a long time to make is depriving themselves of one of the greatest rock albums in the past decade just for the sake of being petty or doing what they view as cool, and frankly it's their loss.

amazing post. Cant wait to hear Sorry!
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2008, 08:32:44 PM »

I'm just glad the story/review now sports a more current photo of Axl.  Enough with the old, you know?  Give me the GN'R of here and now!
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2008, 10:19:16 PM »

Wow. A fair review. I'm impressed. Someone actually judged the album on it's own merits, rather than trashing it.

I'm more optimistic than ever! ok

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »

They switched the photo.  Smiley

http://www.rollingstone.com/

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:06:41 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
dungbeetle
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2008, 11:00:01 PM »

The switched the photo.  Smiley

http://www.rollingstone.com/

Wow I have met my quota for excitement for the night. Thanks for the update.  Oxygen Please!  I think I am freaking out!

Dont eat cheese after midnight
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2008, 04:54:06 AM »

mullethead writes:

Great review, can't wait to hear Sorry!

Here today...ready to rock
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2008, 10:24:27 AM »

I'll take my deleted post as a hint I guess.

My quick and easy review would go as follows:

I've heard from others that this album has the same element as U2's Achtung Baby did.  Meaning there is a little bit of everything and, at the very least, something for everyone.  In all honesty, this album could be a modern Appetite for Destruction.  While some the album and songs may not go down in history the same way Appetite and it's slew of hits did...Chinese Democracy is still filled with raucus guitar licks, beautiful piano and keyboards, symphonies, hypnotizing drum beats, and some of the greatest lyrics I've listened to in my life.  Like Appetite, even non-die hard GNR fans should be able to play this album from start to finish without a thought of skipping tracks...

While critics and cynics will line up attempting to compare the album to the 80's Appetite...attempt to mathematically value the finished project compared to the amount of time it took to make it...or just hate on Axl because it's the "sexy" thing to do...it won't matter.  People are who they are...and if they're not going to think for themselves and judge something based on what somebody else thinks...their opinions are unnecessary and irrelevant anyway.  I've always wondered why if somebody claims to hate Axl or the band or music so much...why do they waste their time to write about it??  If I hate something...I certainly don't trudge the internet in search of a comments section in order to waste my time and give my 2 cents about it....so at least Axl and Guns n Roses are worthy enough of a least some of these people's time...

In the end, despite all of the hardships and controversy, this album will go down in history as something special.  Regardless of the reviews or the overall success of the album monetarily, the album brought a lot of people together and had an effect on peoples lives whether good or bad. 

As it mentions in the RS interview, people will question whether the album was worth the wait...and the most rock n roll thing about it...is Axl really doesn't care whether you think so or not...

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2008, 10:25:41 AM »

Since when did this become a thread for amateur reviews?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2008, 10:34:10 AM »

Yeah, personally I skip them all, I prefer listening to the songs myself instead of getting some unimportant fuckhead's opinion about them before they're even released.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »

I think around the same time they allowed dickheads like yourself to cry about them for no reason...

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2008, 10:37:16 AM »

I think around the same time they allowed dickheads like yourself to cry about them for no reason...

Well hello there newbie.

I suggest you follow our guidelines if you want to continue posting here.

In your case, you should pay very close attention to these two

#1: no insults
#2: we do not talk about illegal leaks.

If it's too much for you to handle, please logout instead of making smart ass remarks about it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2008, 10:43:37 AM »

So when I comment on a band I like without the leaks being discussed and insulting anybody...and somebody insults what I write...that's ok??  Am I getting this right? 

I didn't insult anybody or talk about anything in my previous post...and in return I was insulted.  Then I respond to the insult...and I'm the one who gets scolded...

And I'm not new by the way...while I also don't think "seniority" should take the place of logic and reasoning...I had an account that I had used for years and forgot the username and password to.  So I made a new one. 

Is it that only the people that have "been here the longest" are able to insult others?  I'm trying to get this site understood...  I thought this was a place to talk about Guns n Roses...I didn't think I was going to be judged by my "superiors"...

Please explain...

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »

So when I comment on a band I like without the leaks being discussed and insulting anybody...and somebody insults what I write...that's ok??  Am I getting this right? 

He's got a point.

Subject: Rolling Stone reviews Chinese Democracy

It doesn't say "Average Joe reviews Chinese Democracy" or "My neighbor reviews Chinese Democracy".

Everything has its place.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2008, 10:54:04 AM »

I see, so this board is a bunch of characters in cahoots with one another?  Who needs it...

I don't remember the topic of the post including "Corruption" or "Judging others" or "Insults to 'newbies'" either...

But whatever.  You guys are ridiculous and this doesn't really make much sense at all...

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2008, 10:55:49 AM »

Stick to the subject.  ok

/jarmo

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2008, 11:43:55 AM »

I see, so this board is a bunch of characters in cahoots with one another?  Who needs it...

I don't remember the topic of the post including "Corruption" or "Judging others" or "Insults to 'newbies'" either...

But whatever.  You guys are ridiculous and this doesn't really make much sense at all...

Maybe I should have been more specific:
- This thread is about the Rolling Stone review
- We can have pages and pages of reviews from members of the forum once the album is released.  Until then, we have to assume you're just reviewing leaks which isn't allowed.

And no, I'm not a moderator or a dickhead.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2008, 03:19:26 PM »

From an article on the Rolling Stone review, great quote from Tommy...

Fricke notes that of the many musicians who appear on the album, bassist Tommy Stinson plays on nearly every track. Stinson told us a while back that he did not have any idea how Chinese Democracy will be accepted: "You never know what people are gonna like, what they really want... all I know is that, like, that we made a really powerful record that I think he's proud of, I'm very proud of, and all we can do is put it out and tour behind it and hope they accept it and hope it does what I was hoping it would do when I joined the band, which is, like, make history."

http://www.kbsradio.ca/news/music/87/825586

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: