Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 04:36:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rolling Stone reviews Chinese Democracy
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone reviews Chinese Democracy  (Read 25944 times)
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2008, 12:37:18 PM »

I hope so.  I have to wonder why RS was given the exclusive other than perhaps some personal preference on Axl/management/the band's part.

Ali

If you don't recall, ax let RS writer David Wild listen to many of the demos many years ago and there was a great article about it in RS several years ago about the state of the band. RS has always been good and fair to gnr and that's why they have been granted access....
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2008, 12:47:44 PM »

I hope so.  I have to wonder why RS was given the exclusive other than perhaps some personal preference on Axl/management/the band's part.

Ali

If you don't recall, ax let RS writer David Wild listen to many of the demos many years ago and there was a great article about it in RS several years ago about the state of the band. RS has always been good and fair to gnr and that's why they have been granted access....

No, I do recall.  But the question is what benefit would there be to GN'R for doing that?  Would they be given a cover story?  We'll see, I guess.

Ali
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2008, 12:53:52 PM »

But too often the place with the most cars in the lot is an Applebee's.  Kind of like how Nickelback sells 7 million copies.

Great post...That's comedy gold
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »

Ali

No, I do recall.  But the question is what benefit would there be to GN'R for doing that?  Would they be given a cover story?  We'll see, I guess.

Ali

There are may benefits. First of all RS is THE rock n roll magazine and most widely respected and read. Second, I'm sure they would get the cover story..actually, im almost 100% positive that they would put gnr on the cover. RS has always kept an eye on what gnr has been doing over all of these years. If there was any news, any news at all over the past many year about axl/gnr, etc, RS reported it....You should subscribe to it and you would know that...
Ali
Legend

« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »

Ali

Ali

There are may benefits. First of all RS is THE rock n roll magazine and most widely respected and read. Second, I'm sure they would get the cover story..actually, im almost 100% positive that they would put gnr on the cover. RS has always kept an eye on what gnr has been doing over all of these years. If there was any news, any news at all over the past many year about axl/gnr, etc, RS reported it....You should subscribe to it and you would know that...

I do subscribe to RS.  But, quid pro quo is probably at play here in order for GN'R to specifically give RS the exclusive.  RS may give GN'R a cover story regardless, but what I'm wondering is were they guaranteed the cover in exchange for the exclusive review.

Ali
prairie
Headliner

www.gnrtv.com - All GNR, all the time.

« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2008, 01:48:33 PM »

This review stands out for 2 reasons, 1-it's fair, 2-it's well writen.  You don't see that very often these days. 

prairieboy,

At www.gnrtv.com, it's all GNR videos, all the time.  Plus a few other goodies.

I'm not interested in petty online fights with strangers.  I'm here for fun, if my post has upset you - Sorry.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2008, 02:09:34 PM »

GNR management: ''in exchange for an early copy you must be absurdly positive''

R.S editor ''deal''

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2008, 02:12:57 PM »

R.S editor ''deal''

It just couldn't be that they wanted to have the biggest music publication to get an advance copy.

No.  No way.

It makes too much sense.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »

R.S editor ''deal''

I think David Fricke has a little more credibility than that.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2008, 03:21:23 PM »

Ali

Ali

I do subscribe to RS.  But, quid pro quo is probably at play here in order for GN'R to specifically give RS the exclusive.  RS may give GN'R a cover story regardless, but what I'm wondering is were they guaranteed the cover in exchange for the exclusive review.

Ali

Then if you did know about the history of rs and gnr, then there is no need for trying to get a "quid pro quo." You seem to be an historian on the subject, so there is no need for this conversation.
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2008, 03:32:59 PM »

R.S editor ''deal''

Credible or not - a sit down with Axl is probably the biggest prize in his business right now...a lot of people have very little problem making compromises to get something that big.  My conspiracy warning beacon began flashing (I wear it over my tin-foil beanie) as soon as I read that review...not saying the review was wrong in any way...but more a point against the other 'reviews' by people with no access and no hope of a Gn'R Cover/Axl interview - they all seem to consider the same material that Fricke gushed about to be marginal or bad.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2008, 03:58:15 PM »

R.S editor ''deal''

Credible or not - a sit down with Axl is probably the biggest prize in his business right now...a lot of people have very little problem making compromises to get something that big.  My conspiracy warning beacon began flashing (I wear it over my tin-foil beanie) as soon as I read that review...not saying the review was wrong in any way...but more a point against the other 'reviews' by people with no access and no hope of a Gn'R Cover/Axl interview - they all seem to consider the same material that Fricke gushed about to be marginal or bad.

But all the other "reviews" I've read were just some jackass talking about the leaks.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2008, 04:03:21 PM »

R.S editor ''deal''

Oh fuck off man... go post about "GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING EQUALS GREAT ENTERTAINMENT IN MY MIND!!!"
cviper13
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »

On a personal level who cares what the reviews say, cause if you(as in each of us individually) like the album thats all that matters.

On a business end the reviews are important, therefor if they need to be "bought" so be it, as it is the business end.

Sure we all like to read good reviews as it helps all of us that have been defending this album for so long, but in reality do they matter in what the album means to each of us?
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »

R.S editor ''deal''

But all the other "reviews" I've read were just some jackass talking about the leaks.

That's a big irritation for me right now too. As far as I can tell Rolling Stone (and soon Classic Rock) have the only legit reviews. Everyone else seems to be basing their reviews on old leaks.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2008, 04:18:52 PM »

Yea, I'd be willing to bet this will be one of the few positive reviews we'll see on Chinese Democracy.  The media monkeys have been all too eager to bash Axl at every given opportunity it seems.  But, an album that sells very well will invalidate all of that.

Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2008, 04:28:24 PM »

nice review!

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Ali
Legend

« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2008, 04:29:11 PM »

Ali

Ali

Ali

Then if you did know about the history of rs and gnr, then there is no need for trying to get a "quid pro quo." You seem to be an historian on the subject, so there is no need for this conversation.

All I'm saying is that it while it may be likely that GN'R would get an RS cover, maybe they gave RS the exclusive first review of the record (while making Classic Rock and others wait to publish their review) in exchange for a guarantee to be on the cover.  There is a difference between "likely" and "guaranteed".  That's all.   ok

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2008, 04:29:51 PM »

R.S editor ''deal''

Nice theory.  Utterly baseless, but entertaining nonetheless.

Ali
jordinho
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »

Good to read a review by someone who has actually paid attention to the lyrics. That's probably one of strongest parts of this album.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: