Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 04:33:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rolling Stone reviews Chinese Democracy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone reviews Chinese Democracy  (Read 25934 times)
Josh
Headliner

« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2008, 04:28:23 PM »

Awesome review.  See, this is why I love Mondays now, always something happening.  BTW, anybody know how often RS gives 5/5?
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »

Awesome review.  See, this is why I love Mondays now, always something happening.  BTW, anybody know how often RS gives 5/5?

Almost never.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2008, 04:33:56 PM »

Now its about time RollingStone gets it right! This is a great start to what will hopefully be a long list of great reviews!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
GeraldFord
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2008, 04:37:06 PM »

Very cool review!

I think the RS review may give people a second look at the album who otherwise may have not been interested.
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »

Very seldomly does RS hand out a 5 out of 5 rating. Only one I can ever remember was Neil Young's 'Freedom' disc back in 1987. Metallica's 'Death Magnetic' received a 4 out of 5 recently, and that's a pretty damned good record.

David Fricke is also a huge fan of the Eagles, so maybe Irving Azoff's connection with both the Eagles and GN'R could explain why RS got the early review.

Interestingly enough, Fricke does not mention "This I Love", I'd really like to have gotten his opinion of it. That's the one song I'm just desperate to hear.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
GeraldFord
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2008, 04:47:03 PM »

I think Springsteen and Dylan's recent albums got the 5 star review. But hey, four stars is great. Imagine how bummed out we'd be if it got 2 stars (which I think Erlewine at AMG will give it!)
ben9785
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2008, 05:00:42 PM »

I stopped caring about the press a long time ago, but I have to say that was a great review. It didn't drag on about the past or who is missing or why it took so long or the gossip or speculation or anything like that - It just focused on the strengths of the album itself, the lyrics, the themes etc..

Not every review may be as open minded as this one, but at the end of the day the reviews don't matter to us..
neon2002
Rocker

What the hell is a hab?

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2008, 05:08:16 PM »

Awesome review.  ok

I'm glad there are journalists out there who can stick to writing a review about the music itself.

Like it should be.

/jarmo

Well said.
 beer

"This Melody Inside Of Me Still Searches For Solution"
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2008, 05:08:50 PM »

I think Springsteen and Dylan's recent albums got the 5 star review. But hey, four stars is great. Imagine how bummed out we'd be if it got 2 stars (which I think Erlewine at AMG will give it!)

Yes. The most recent 5 stars handed out was Michael Jackson's Thriller 25, which i think is the only one in 08 so far.
Before that, Springsteen, Dylan, Kanye West, Brian Wilson, etc. I saw a list somewhere and they've given about 15 five star reviews this decade, but only gave out 3 in the 90s.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »

First review and it's a posstive and... it's Rolling Stone! Brilliant  yes

This is the review I was anticipating the most. 4 outta 5 stars is beyond my expectations.

I don't think for one second the album is not going to be good, it'll be fucking outstanding for that matter, but I was afraid the media was not going to focus on the music rather than Axl and the 14 years in the making yada yada crap.

There'll be some nasty reviews I'm sure, but having RS praising the album it'll most likely make most jourlnalists focus solely on Chinese Democracy (the music)  ok

neon2002
Rocker

What the hell is a hab?

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2008, 05:13:18 PM »

They don't give many 5 star reviews - the last rock one I remember getting a 5 star review was REM - Automatic for the People, but I am sure they have given more since then.

RS was also a pretty big GnR supporter, at least when Kurt Loder was involved (not sure if he still is).  

If I remember correctly Appetite for Destruction got 5 Stars.
Use Your Illusion 1 got 4 Stars.
Use Your Illusion 2 got 4.5 Stars.

That's just going from memory though.

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2008, 05:23:27 PM »

Remember  how everyone here said there is no way RS would diss Axl when CD came out? We were right!!!  rofl
neon2002
Rocker

What the hell is a hab?

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2008, 05:29:55 PM »

Anyone notice the Posted Date?

"DAVID FRICKE

(Posted: Nov 27, 2008)"

Does that mean it's going to get pulled and reposted later? Or is that the issue of RS that it's going to be in?

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2008, 05:31:09 PM »

Anyone notice the Posted Date?

"DAVID FRICKE

(Posted: Nov 27, 2008)"

Does that mean it's going to get pulled and reposted later? Or is that the issue of RS that it's going to be in?

Might be in the issue that goes on sale this or next week?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2008, 05:37:13 PM »

It will be from the next issue, I'm sure.

How refreshing to see someone - especially someone of Fricke's stature - judge GN'R and Axl by the music, and not by the rumors that have surrounded him for more than a decade now.      Exactly the reason I want to see an interview done by Fricke above anyone else.  An excellent, excellent start to Chinese Democracy getting the respect and accolades it deserves.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2008, 07:07:18 PM »

Awesome review! Cheesy Axl deserves this!
I still can't believe this is finally happening... my life is nearling completion drool

excellent!

hopefully all reviewers will be as positive and impartial.

I think that is a little much to hope for, given how Axl is the guy most journalists love to hate, but I do hope a majority at least give him a fair shot before they type up their insignificant little reviews full of judgement and scorn.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2008, 07:11:15 PM »

I may be talking out of my ass, but does anyone else sense that an exclusive RS interview with Axl may be on the near horizon? Perhaps in the issue that will be featuring this review. ok
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:15:42 PM by sofine11 » Logged
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2008, 07:29:43 PM »

I hope so.  I have to wonder why RS was given the exclusive other than perhaps some personal preference on Axl/management/the band's part.

Ali
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2008, 07:32:07 PM »

I may be talking out of my ass, but does anyone else sense that an exclusive RS interview with Axl may be on the near horizon? Perhaps in the issue that will be featuring this review. ok

Was thinking the same thing and I hope we're both right!!  peace

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »

I think this was a great review! I am sooooo looking foward to November 23!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: