Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 04:50:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rolling Stone reviews Chinese Democracy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone reviews Chinese Democracy  (Read 25994 times)
Axlspants
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 12:09:32 PM »

Yeah thats a great review, no doubt about it. I don't necessarily want everyone who reviews the album to drool over it as we all have different tastes and opinions, I just hope that the reviews are based on the music and not on how long the album took to come out and be marked down for it as that would be incredibly unfair. Not long now!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 12:13:14 PM »

Thank God David Fricke reviewed the record.  He is absolutely, without doubt, the best writer RS has.  He is one of the best rock and roll writers ever.  I love his stories and interviews, most recently with AC/DC and Metallica.  Thank you Mr. Fricke for being open-minded and giving the record a fair chance.

Ali
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 12:16:59 PM »

Great albums get great reviews 9 time out of 10 and this is a great album.

EagleDiver182
Opening Act

Hey Fuckers!!! Suck on Guns N' Fuckin' Roses

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »

THAT REVIEW WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am F*cking excited!!! For arguablly the biggest rock music magazine to praise the band and the album and axl like they did is an accomplishment guys. I love where he says, if all this was what axl envisioned in the early days than clearly a regular five piece band was not enough!!!! YES!!!!

Guys this is our time to write comments on that same page at the bttm and tell rolling stone that the album is great and that thier review was awesome!! and Click the 5th star out of the five to give it its due rating. This is IMPORTANT! This is rolling stone magazine guys come on!!!  ok ok ok beer beer smoking

It wouldnt even matter a thing that I said
You made your mark, I've been gone anyways
And theres no use now in dragging it on
You should have seen me coming all along
overmatik
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 12:21:55 PM »

Nice review! ok

But I really wanted to hear about "This I Love" and "Sorry", the 2 songs people are most anxious about. Is it possible he didn't hear them?
Olorin
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 12:25:31 PM »

Excellent!!! I wondered who would be the first to review the album in its proper format, who would bet against Rolling Stone getting the first interview with Axl and hopefully the band.

I wish they mentioned more of the songs though, I suppose the album will be over anylised to death by other less open minded reviewers so this was not a bad start.
 IRS sounds like it might be the rip snorting rocker it deserves to be!

Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 12:26:30 PM »

Looking at recent reviews, they only give above 4 stars to greatest hits albums. That's pretty good, this is the best reviewed "new" album RS have published in a long time.

reed2009
Headliner

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 12:26:57 PM »

Nice review! ok

But I really wanted to hear about "This I Love" and "Sorry", the 2 songs people are most anxious about. Is it possible he didn't hear them?

i wanted to hear about "this i love" too !! i hear its hte best song on the album!

scraped
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 12:28:04 PM »

Like the review. Like the writer. All good things!

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Thinizzy
Headliner

"I'm everywhere Focker"- Robert DeNiro

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 12:34:10 PM »

Great review, honest and insightful. and he is not just being biased in the review, which makes it that much more better. Just a quik question, what were the last couple of records RS gave 5 out of 5?

"Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, still serve a purpose." -Jim Carrey
veritas55
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 12:36:15 PM »

They don't give many 5 star reviews - the last rock one I remember getting a 5 star review was REM - Automatic for the People, but I am sure they have given more since then.

RS was also a pretty big GnR supporter, at least when Kurt Loder was involved (not sure if he still is).  
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 12:36:34 PM »

fantastic, really pumped now!!
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 12:43:48 PM »

How is "Scraped"?  I don't think I've heard this one...

He comments on the lyrics...which sound pretty badass...

Is he reviewing this based on the leaks?  Or did he have a legitimate copy?  If he did have a copy...it'll only be a matter of time til the wrong person gets a hold of it and it becomes public...

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 12:49:43 PM »

No mention of "This I Love" or "Sorry".  This is the second time RS has mentioned "Scraped".  I think this is going to be the first video shot for the album.....
its_so_easy
Rocker

axl rose is back!!!

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 12:51:13 PM »

"All things are possible/I am unstoppable," in the thumper "Scraped," that's not loony hubris ? just a good old rock & roll "fuck you," the kind that made him and the old band hot and famous in the first place.

I like the sound of that! Cool

Good fuckin night
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 12:51:58 PM »

Apparently a man who posts under "RandyJesus" has heard all of the finished songs and had this to say about them on RollingStone.com:

I am one of the few that has actually heard all of the songs in both finished and unfinished form.

The finished version of the songs sound more like the old songs but with some modern twists. There are two songs on the album which I would consider as filler. There first is the title track Chinese Democracy. It is a farely decent rock track but it doesn't represent the album well. I am assuming it was chosen as a single because it was the title track. Riad is the second filler track. Once again it is a decent rock song but doesn't represent the album well.

Songs like Better, Scraped, and IRS are the classic Guns N' Roses rock songs. The song Shacklers Revenge, sounds more like Axl singing over a song by Disturbed.

There Was a Time, Madagascar, This I Love, and Street of Dreams (The Blues) are epic songs like you would find on the Use Your Illusion Albums. Catcher (In the Rye) is another epic, but made in the mold of the legendary band QUEEN. Sorry is the most venom filled slow grinding song that is a cross between the old Guns N' Roses and Pink Floyd.

With all the innovation it still remains classic rock. If you like; Nickleback, Hinder, Buckcherry, Meatloaf, My Chemical Romance, and Velvet Revolver, Disturbed, Primus, Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith. You will love this album.

I have to give this 5 stars.

Nov 10, 2008 09:31:55

I can't wait to hear these...

The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 01:03:46 PM »

Although I don't see how you can put Nickelback, Hinder, and Disturbed in with the rest of the bands listed OR compare them to GNR ever...

That's where his personal review goes a little sour...

MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2008, 01:07:28 PM »

too bad he's not even lying. There are elements of those band in the album and the whole album is far from the old bluesy rock n rock style gn'r used to be.

not that that is a bad thing, it just may not be everyone's taste when they pick out a gn'r record. well now they have a chance to know that this band holds very little in common with their previous band members

Chinese Democracy!
Olorin
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 01:26:46 PM »

Glad the reviewer gave Oh My God some props, it is a really great song. It annoys me when people knock it.
kollemann
Rocker

Chinese Democracy is now!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2008, 01:27:38 PM »

great review ok ok

http://www.myspace.com/kollemann = german GNR support

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=100000610764106
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: