Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 07:07:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy single - free with Best Buy pre-order & release Nov 9th
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy single - free with Best Buy pre-order & release Nov 9th  (Read 35975 times)
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2008, 09:34:23 AM »

everyone has a point here. in the end its up to the fans to choose what they will support and what not. and there are people who dont blindly follow all the actions of their fave bands, and f.e. every fan community has people who simply are against these inferior quality downloads on itunes and would support the physical releases (mostly) only. the main problem in here is that the industry hasnt upgraded their "download system"......offer little more expensive quality FLACs for example (as Metallica did with their live shows, aswell next to cheaper mp3 releases) and i'd be all over it. but after all the waiting its not too hard to wait 2 more weeks, then people could buy the album and make even superior quality mp3s and all - if they'd need to.
again i find it some hard to believe there have been printed many radio promo cds but no cd singles -and i'm hell sure they had TIME to do that properly- but only download singles to be released from the first single of the title track of one of the most talked/speculated/delayed/.... albums ever.

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2008, 10:04:15 AM »

again i find it some hard to believe there have been printed many radio promo cds but no cd singles

I thought the majority of the stations didn't get promotional singles but that it was done digitally?

In addition, regarding the "blind following", I'm guessing artists tend to play concerts in markets where they have fans?

So, and I'm just guessing here, since iTunes is a big music retailer I'm assuming those sales do count as well.

If nobody buys the music in your market because you're waiting for a better format, who knows what will happen eventually.

I know you will buy the album, I'm not talking about that. I'm just talking about the general idea of not buying.

I know for a fact that there are artists who only release material digitally. Either iTunes only EPs or full albums that you can only get online.

And if people boycott that, there's no sales to talk about.

You know?

It all goes hand in hand.

Who's gonna make big videos if nobody buys the singles?

Who's gonna go the extra mile to make a great package when everybody steals the music?

Etc etc.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2008, 10:11:22 AM »

again i find it some hard to believe there have been printed many radio promo cds but no cd singles

I thought the majority of the stations didn't get promotional singles but that it was done digitally?

/jarmo

You're right. There are a few physical copies out there but most stations were given the single through download.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2008, 10:43:24 AM »

iTunes charts

USA: #23 / #2

It's climbed:

USA: #20 / #2
Canada: #10 / #2

Greece: #17 / #5
UK: #42 / #3

USA: #18 / #2
Canada: #6 / #1

Denmark: #18 / #2
France: #14 / #1
Greece: #6 / #1
UK: #32 / #2

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »

well, the radio promo cds are on ebay and supposely for real. if most radio stations get the cd single online but a few got them as physical release....well, lets get "some" fans a physical cd single aswell  Smiley

i see the point with supporting, no doubt. and as big as itunes is today and how compatible and spreaded all the mp3 stuff might be and having to accept there is no physical cd single release, i absolutely dont get it why not offering at least cd quality too? its not an upload/download/internet connection problem worldwide anymore like it was 10 years ago or so! i simply dont accept to buy inferior quality (and that "only" compared to cd standard which allready is from beginning of the 80s!!) online in 2008, exspecially when the same song version(s) are out on an higher quality and physical cd/vinyl release ~2 weeks later. but if industry only offers the itunes/mp3 stuff and no higher quality....then -as big as a support for my fave bands is- i dont like to jump for them. in this case my band support will "only" be on the album releases not this cd single.

its as easy as that: if to order online let the buyers choose what to get, like:

itunes/mp3 = 1 $
flac download = 2,50-3,00$

thats not even hard to handle, is it??

Re-Union time, baby!!
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2008, 10:46:42 AM »

http://www.amazon.de/Chinese-Democracy-Trendsingle-Guns-Roses/dp/B001JS9666/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226418182&sr=8-2

i preordered it and got an email today saying that the single is hard to obtain for amazon.....  and it says available in 1-3 weeks, instead of it being available on the 11th, as it said when i preordered it a week ago.

Huh

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2008, 10:58:20 AM »

its as easy as that: if to order online let the buyers choose what to get, like:

itunes/mp3 = 1 $
flac download = 2,50-3,00$

thats not even hard to handle, is it??

iTunes has DRM.....

Mp3 is the most widely used digital audio format. I guess it's the standard.

Kinda like VHS was the standard even though other formats existed.

I'm sure you can come up with more reasons why it's popular among music listeners (and record companies).

Anyway, as a I said. This is a one track single. Digital release makes sense.

We'll get the physical album in less than two weeks.... Until then, this will do. At least for me.

I'm just excited to be able to buy a new track and listen to it!  Cool

I also assuming CD single sales have gone down. Maybe there's no market for them?

/jarmo

wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2008, 11:10:02 AM »

iTunes Store Top 10 Rock Songs: #1 in 10 out of 22 countries  ok / in top 10 in another 9 countries

iTunes Store Top 10 Songs: #1 in 1 out of 22 countries (go Finland) / in top 10 in another  8 countries
 Wink

v. ..

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »

there is still a huge market for an physical album at least. single cds might not make much money anymore, still would have been nice to get one from cd and such a big band name. about the itunes DRM....not totally sure but didnt the major labels drop that because the customers didnt like supporting that?
if its the only-download-way to go: why not offering mp3 + flac for different prices? easy to do/nothing to loose!
i remember i was fearing and posting about this issue here months ago when we've talked about releasing ideas of cd. oh well, 2 more weeks only  Smiley

Re-Union time, baby!!
SPUNKY
Rocker

do one sweatheart!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2008, 11:39:29 AM »

with all these pre-order lark is there any chance of you getting the album early?? I live in the UK??

Huh

SOUTHEND UNITED LEAGUE 1 CHAMPIONS 2006

HAMMERSMITH JUNE 7TH

DOWNLAND 9-11 JUNE GNR
BodyCount
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2008, 12:16:54 PM »

there is still a huge market for an physical album at least. single cds might not make much money anymore, still would have been nice to get one from cd and such a big band name. about the itunes DRM....not totally sure but didnt the major labels drop that because the customers didnt like supporting that?
if its the only-download-way to go: why not offering mp3 + flac for different prices? easy to do/nothing to loose!
i remember i was fearing and posting about this issue here months ago when we've talked about releasing ideas of cd. oh well, 2 more weeks only  Smiley

You can have the physical single if you wish to have one... ask your local store and they 'll order one for you..
Black Betty
Headliner

« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2008, 12:26:59 PM »

Nickelback? Are you serious U.S.? Aren't they country music? How are they on the rock charts? I guess Rock has really changed...to country rock.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2008, 12:33:07 PM »

Apologies if this has been answered, but does itunes make material available at midnight of the day of release?

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2008, 12:46:05 PM »

Apologies if this has been answered, but does itunes make material available at midnight of the day of release?

In my experience, yes.

Ali
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2008, 01:21:08 PM »

CD is now #1 on the U.S. Rock chart for iTunes. It is #17 on their overall music chart.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2008, 01:49:24 PM »

CD is now #1 on the U.S. Rock chart for iTunes. It is #17 on their overall music chart.

So in addition to being the #1 Rock Song in the USA, it's also been or still is the #1 Rock song in Canada, Finland, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.

http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10rocksongs.html

Finland seems to be the only country where it's been (still is) the #1 on the general chart so far.

/jarmo

The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »

I'm sorry for stating the obvious here, but I really, really don't see a problem. In fact, it's mind-boggling that you do. After 17 years without new material, you are now about to get a full album of it in 11 days. That is "physical" material of the single, with 13 other songs to go along with it. How the hell is that a problem? I don't even use iTunes, but the thought of not having the single physically in my hand, when I'm about to get my hands on a whole album of material, seriously hasn't struck me even once. Especially when I can listen to the new single on the official website in the meantime.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2008, 02:10:02 PM »

Number 2 now in the US. Still very good.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »

Up to #14 on the US general iTunes charts, #1 rock song
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »

I'm sorry for stating the obvious here, but I really, really don't see a problem. In fact, it's mind-boggling that you do. After 17 years without new material, you are now about to get a full album of it in 11 days. That is "physical" material of the single, with 13 other songs to go along with it. How the hell is that a problem? I don't even use iTunes, but the thought of not having the single physically in my hand, when I'm about to get my hands on a whole album of material, seriously hasn't struck me even once. Especially when I can listen to the new single on the official website in the meantime.

some collectors would have liked to support the gnr camp in buying the physical cd single only and also before the album release - but the industry doesnt offer that one or some kind of uncompressed quality audio for download. so its just waiting ~2more weeks, yep.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: