Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "We're launching with a monumental campaign"
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "We're launching with a monumental campaign"  (Read 155512 times)
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #500 on: December 06, 2008, 05:14:11 AM »

Bucket was marketable in GNR. I saw an 02 show in London and there were tons of people with the GNR/Bucket shirts. Could Fortus and Bumble be presented like that? Sure but when you constantly hear "no comments" in interviews it makes it seem like only Axl can say something and have it matter.

And how many interviews was Buckethead doing?

Seriously, the guys are in Guns N' Roses, they can talk if needed, they can play.

Why do you think people wouldn't recognize that?

/jarmo

I think they would if given the chance. It's like a lot of bands have many spokespeople and distinct personalities. You have Anthony and Flea in RHCP,Lars and James in Metallica.

Honestly,outside of the forums, who knows who Richard Fortus or Tommy Stinson are as it relates To GNR

Honestly, you're obsessed with this. Can you count how many times you've attacked the band for not having personalities? You've made countless posts on mygnr, started hateful threads about it when not answered, seriously you should give it a rest. People will get to know the band better when they decide to put themselves out there, that's not your fucking job to demand. It's funny that you bring up Anthony and Flea from RHCP as distinct personalities, because I can't think of two more boring people in the whole wide world.

amen to that brother...
we are all eager to hear from Axl and the Gnr camp,
lets just give it some time before we start another slag fest

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #501 on: December 06, 2008, 06:06:05 AM »

As long as lacking album sales does not interfere with plans for future albums and tours. That's all I'm saying.

I got to enjoy this album, fellow hardcore GNR fans who deserve it got to enjoy it. If other people and "average rock fans", don't tune in and discover this great music; their loss. Then it would actually be easier for me to get tickets to the shows, probably. So it's not necessarily a bad thing that it's not promoted heavily, from my p.o.v as a fan. It would be thrilling to get an interview with Axl, but more out of curiosity than for the sake of promotion.

Reinaldo
Rocker

"O.K., Nevermind!"

« Reply #502 on: December 06, 2008, 07:16:05 AM »

As long as lacking album sales does not interfere with plans for future albums and tours. That's all I'm saying.

So, I don't think that'll be a problem, cause sales are already going pretty good.

#1 Rock Album on US (#3)
#1 Rock Album on iTunes
#1 Europe
#1 Americas (considering it's #1 in Brazil***, Colombia, Argentina and Canada)

And just like some posters said and I agree: everything has been planned this way. On a market p.ov. they just don't want to simply hit the top, sell tons now and quickly fall all the way down the charts. The goal is to stay on good positions as long as possible.

At the first moment let the music do the talking: it's an awesome long time expected historical album, GNR and rock fans are buying it and showing to there non fan friends who will buy too.
Then, the "where's Axl" public question. That alone can bring some atention to the band/CD.

When sales start to decrease (this or next month) maybe we'll have interview(s), video, tour annoucement, a ballad as a single (SOD or TIL), DVD... and so on. Then CD will be introduced to any kind of people still unaware of it, keeping up the sales. On a long term it will sell much more than those that sold 700,000 copies on the first week.

When they're done with CD,  in one or two years (touring on the most of that period), we'll have everything again with the second album. Same thing with the third, fourth... In other words, I think the plan Axl told on 2002 is still the same and is a very effective one.

***You don't know how much happy I was when I gave my CD to a non fan friend, and she just loved it. And even more when I went to 2 different stores here in Rio to buy it again and it was already out of stock!! Less than one week of its releasing here! On the third store I bought two copies and there were only two more left.

RIR 2001 - Porto Alegre 2010 - RIR 2011 - Rio de Janeiro 2014 & 2016 - RIR 2022
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #503 on: December 06, 2008, 07:42:56 AM »

I swear I remember reading an article on this site actually a year or two after Stinson joined the band basically stating that it was the band's plan to promote Tommy as the #2 guy after Axl (it was a pretty big deal when they got Tommy to sign on as I remember). Not sure anything ever really came of that... but given that the lead guitarist position is in constant flux... and Tommy has been in the band for 10 years, is one of the few who appear on nearly every track (13 out of 14) and is relatively known independently- it might be back to THAT plan for all we know...

Well, Tommy is supposed to be GnR's musical director or something like that, leading the band through rehearsals when Axl's not there, etc. it doesn't mean he's supposed to become a megastar.

I do miss Tommy singing backing vocals on Madagascar, btw.
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #504 on: December 06, 2008, 08:40:36 AM »

I think honestly, Axl isn't talking because he doesn't want his album overshadowed by a million what happened to the old band/reunion questions he will be bombarded with once he does give interviews.

May well be true... But better to face shit with no regrets than to let the album be overshadowed by an absent singer and a soda law suit IMO.

Axl's silence and the Dr Pepper lawsuit is NOT overshadowing Chinese Democracy. For a look at the attention it's getting, go check out the Chinese Democracy review thread.

CNN front-page gets more hits than any of the places those reviews are. My local news site has had four GnR stories I've seen...

1) The album is coming.
2) Review on release (positive).

Then nothing.

Then...

3) Axl's nowhere to be seen.
4) Dr Pepper.

In other words, since the day of release, those two things are the only mentions they've had other than the weekly chart results.

Do you think it would have made your local news site if Axl was around giving interviews or if nothing was said about Dr Pepper? How many bands are frequently in your local news?

Plenty. They have an entertainment section.

And not all publicity is good publicity.

I'm confused, i thought the point was that "CNN front-page gets more hits than any of the places those reviews are," but now it's that not all publicity is good publicity?

How are those things exclusive? CNN front-page DOES get more hits than all those review sites, and Axl got on there via the Dr Pepper debacle, which is NOT good publicity.

You're right i misunderstood you.

But my point is that if the band is in the news I don't see it hurting sales, certainly not for the things they have been in the news for, i think it's just another way for people to know CD is released... and I think hardly anyone gets in the news for strictly positive reasons. The entertainment section of a news site will be seen less than the news section, and so i easily equate that with the many reviews.

Bucket was marketable in GNR. I saw an 02 show in London and there were tons of people with the GNR/Bucket shirts. Could Fortus and Bumble be presented like that? Sure but when you constantly hear "no comments" in interviews it makes it seem like only Axl can say something and have it matter.

That was funny.    Grin
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #505 on: December 06, 2008, 09:11:01 AM »

Most news sites have entertainment section headlines on the front page...

I just think that at the moment the media, which is already prone to seeking out negative stories, is only being presented with negative stories right now. Far better to get out there and try to get some positive vibe going. There have been enough good reviews to suggest enough media sources would respond favourably to get at least SOME momentum going, because right now they have none.
R.B. Huckleberry
Opening Act

« Reply #506 on: December 06, 2008, 10:20:24 AM »

Chinese Democracy Starts Now!!!!

Now?

How 'bout now?

Okay, then. Will you let us know? Great!

We need a week 3 push. I hate to say it, but maybe the traditional methods (interviews, videos, etc.) are needed here.

Although honestly: they may be getting some mileage out of the "Where's Axl?" stories.
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #507 on: December 06, 2008, 10:25:47 AM »

Seriously, the guys are in Guns N' Roses, they can talk if needed, they can play.

Why do you think people wouldn't recognize that?

/jarmo

Bucket was marketable because is he so talanted. His skill and off-beat image speaks for themselves. People talked about him and went to see him because he is simply a GREAT performer with mad skill and a lot of charisma. He didnt do many interviews, but the one he did with MTV was really cool and the entire country was talking about it. Ron and Frank are the minor leagues, BH is at the top of the big leagues. Also, the big white elephant in the room is that the old band is gettng back together. Why isn't anyone talking about this? And the powers that be ar not denying it. I hope it is not true.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:33:31 AM by adman2374 » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #508 on: December 06, 2008, 10:34:02 AM »

But besides the Bucket the guy is a main reason why CD is amazing.

Oh, ok...

Forget the whole collaboration idea, it's basically a Buckethead solo album and Axl had very little to do with this album.  Wink

rofl

All Im saying is that if Axl had the 02 or 06 lineup right now, particularly, we would not be having this discussion.

Of course not. Because "your" guys were still in.

Assuming that Robin left......

And in GNR he WROTE, not played on a good amount of the album. So in my estimation he is a main reason why CD is incredible. Hes just not another player

And in the past Izzy were part of creating a majority of the hits.

Sure, he wasn't the lead guitarist, but the lead guitarist who wrote less songs was more famous.

I just don't buy your theory because I think it's based on nothing more than your personal admiration for those guys....

Regarding the monumental campaign. Maybe it wasn't just focused on the first week like everybody else?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #509 on: December 06, 2008, 10:39:55 AM »

Oh, ok...

Forget the whole collaboration idea, it's basically a Buckethead solo album and Axl had very little to do with this album.  Wink

rofl

All Im saying is that if Axl had the 02 or 06 lineup right now, particularly, we would not be having this discussion.

And in GNR he WROTE, not played on a good amount of the album. So in my estimation he is a main reason why CD is incredible. Hes just not another player

Sure, he wasn't the lead guitarist, but the lead guitarist who wrote less songs was more famous.

I just don't buy your theory because I think it's based on nothing more than your personal admiration for those guys....

Regarding the monumental campaign. Maybe it wasn't just focused on the first week like everybody else?

/jarmo

What are you talking about? You make no sense. YG said BH and the 2002-2006 lineup was the right one because they were so great, not because of his "personal admiration." I'm sure YG doesn't know them personally, but he sure as hell knows how great they are and how great BH is and how is song writing and arrangements on the CD are fucking amazing! And yes, I agree with you, the cd's marketing was not focused on the first week. I think that was a major mistake and I think it will be very hard to re-start the marketing weeks or even months after the CD has been released.
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #510 on: December 06, 2008, 11:04:09 AM »

I know I have said shit about fuck all promo in Australia but since the albm is now #1 world wide, I couldnt give a fuck.

GUNS N' FUCKN' ROSES  yes

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #511 on: December 06, 2008, 11:29:27 AM »

I know I have said shit about fuck all promo in Australia but since the albm is now #1 world wide, I couldnt give a fuck.

chinese democracy comes from everywhere!

as usual the us will catch up eventually.

falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #512 on: December 06, 2008, 11:56:16 AM »

Oh, ok...

Forget the whole collaboration idea, it's basically a Buckethead solo album and Axl had very little to do with this album.  Wink

rofl

/jarmo

What are you talking about? You make no sense. YG said BH and the 2002-2006 lineup was the right one because they were so great, not because of his "personal admiration." I'm sure YG doesn't know them personally, but he sure as hell knows how great they are and how great BH is and how is song writing and arrangements on the CD are fucking amazing! And yes, I agree with you, the cd's marketing was not focused on the first week. I think that was a major mistake and I think it will be very hard to re-start the marketing weeks or even months after the CD has been released.

bucket is just a guitar player.  sure, a talented one.  but just a guitar player.  he plays what axl tells him to do.  so while bucket deserves props for praticing his guitar all those years to prepare for this, axl deserves credit for the music you hear on the album.  it's his vision.  bucket was just following directions.

but if you love bucket so much, then why waste your time here?  why not join a buckethead forum and talk to other bucketlovers?  why pollute the gnr forum with your hating and naysaying?
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #513 on: December 06, 2008, 11:58:59 AM »

Oh, ok...

Forget the whole collaboration idea, it's basically a Buckethead solo album and Axl had very little to do with this album.  Wink

rofl

/jarmo

bucket is just a guitar player.  sure, a talented one.  but just a guitar player.  he plays what axl tells him to do.  so while bucket deserves props for praticing his guitar all those years to prepare for this, axl deserves credit for the music you hear on the album.  it's his vision.  bucket was just following directions.

but if you love bucket so much, then why waste your time here?  why not join a buckethead forum and talk to other bucketlovers?  why pollute the gnr forum with your hating and naysaying?

FG69 you are confusing Ron with Bucket. See Bucket wrote music for ChiDem that is why he has WRITING CREDITS. Ron played parts that were already written (by Bucket and others) and that is why he has no writing credits. This point is not up for debate,it is a fact. Now maybe Ron wrote on some of the next albums, we will see in time.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #514 on: December 06, 2008, 12:01:36 PM »

correction:  he has writing credits because axl is a generous boss who wants to see that his employees are provided for.  if you really believe bucket came up with this album, then you're nuts.  this is axl's album.  his vision.  pure and simple.  bucket was hired to do work on it.
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #515 on: December 06, 2008, 12:03:44 PM »

correction:  he has writing credits because axl is a generous boss who wants to see that his employees are provided for.  if you really believe bucket came up with this album, then you're nuts.  this is axl's album.  his vision.  pure and simple.  bucket was hired to do work on it.

LOL rofl rofl Nobody said that Bucket came up with the album,only that he wrote music for it when just two posts ago you said that he is playing what Axl told him to.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #516 on: December 06, 2008, 01:20:29 PM »

the credits speak for themselves.   don't be delusional.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #517 on: December 06, 2008, 05:03:30 PM »

This is what people want Axl to do: Go on Jay Leno and Jerry Springer and Ricki Lake and TV-Shop and be all like "Hi everybody! This is Axl! Grin Please buy my new record, pretty please, and if you do, I'm going to repay you the favor by talking a little about myself and my home life! Grin"

Fuck that.

Axl is probably the last rockstar on earth with true artistic integrity, and I have nothing but respect and admiration for that.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Crowebar
Sir Puke-a-Lot
VIP

« Reply #518 on: December 06, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »

This is what people want Axl to do: Go on Jay Leno and Jerry Springer and Ricki Lake and TV-Shop and be all like "Hi everybody! This is Axl! Grin Please buy my new record, pretty please, and if you do, I'm going to repay you the favor by talking a little about myself and my home life! Grin"

Fuck that.

Axl is probably the last rockstar on earth with true artistic integrity, and I have nothing but respect and admiration for that.

I agree. All this speculation by all these people is pure and utter bullshit. As Axl himself said in that open letter, nobody knows or could possibly fathom what all of the inner workings and problems Axls encountered while trying to get this album out. It's ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. Leave Axl alone. The album is frigging awesome. Be happy about that and content and leave the dude alone.
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #519 on: December 06, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »

Fuck that.

1) Nobody (at least, nobody sensible) is saying Axl needs to show up in a million places and push the record on daytime talkshows.

2) I guess you're saying when he did interviews, videos and tours to support albums back in the day he didn't have true integrity?

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: