Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:30:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "We're launching with a monumental campaign"
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "We're launching with a monumental campaign"  (Read 155671 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #480 on: December 06, 2008, 02:07:21 AM »

And how exactly did Robin or Buckethead get to be so "marketable"?
For one they are all over the album. Not only that but they helped create it. They arent playing over peoples parts.

Plus they have the image.

I just happen to think that members of GN'R, who happen to be talented and know how to speak can become popular among people.
We are all waiting. The album is out. Where are the band interviews?

You don't need to wear a bucket on your head....

The Bucket on his head is just the icing on the cake. The Bucket on his head is what will draw attention for the band. Once the band has the attention then they have the oppurtunity to win that person over with the music.

But besides the Bucket the guy is a main reason why CD is amazing.

In terms of public"?

And I happen to think the best opportunities are ahead.

Considering the album was just released... It wasn't out in 2002 or 2006.
Public meaning the average fan

They hopefully are ahead. That is what we all want. We arent privy to what is ahead. We only have the past and the present to go on. That is what we base our assumptions on.

All Im saying is that if Axl had the 02 or 06 lineup right now, particularly, we would not be having this discussion.

The guy's an amazing guitar player, but just don't fool yourself. If he was gonna be the guitar hero you want him to be, it was because he was in GN'R.

And in GNR he WROTE, not played on a good amount of the album. So in my estimation he is a main reason why CD is incredible. Hes just not another player

And since he's not at the moment, somebody else will step up and claim that spot......
And will do a fine job. But with that being said we wouldnt be having these types of discussions if the current lineup was the 02 lineup

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #481 on: December 06, 2008, 02:08:14 AM »

Yea, really a tour is the best marketing tool the band could use, IMHO.   Hopefully we see the band out on the road soon.
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #482 on: December 06, 2008, 02:10:41 AM »

bottom line

the album is good

the promo by best buy, the management and finally the band and axl has been very, very poor.

what rancid punx said is also very true.

if i mentioned ANY member of the current GnR line up (not axl) to a casual music/ rock fan they would have No fucking clue who they were, thats a shame

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #483 on: December 06, 2008, 02:11:46 AM »

D your missing the point. Yes, Bucket is weird and might be a turn off. But that is what this band needs. They need something different and weird to get people talking. This band is behind the 8 ball from the start because they arent the old band. Axl needed to have someone to draw attention away from that. Bucket is that guy. Like his image or hate his image. He attracts people to talk. He is like Axl in that he sparks a discussion. That is how you overcome Slash. Axl knows that.

His weirdness draws people in. Then the music takes over.

For Axls vision to work to the regular rock fan he needed something different.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
riotact_vancity
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #484 on: December 06, 2008, 02:13:05 AM »

You and I both know that the current guitar players could very well become the same kind of stars you think only Buckethead or Robin could become.
Thats your problem right there and why I think you clearly dont get it. You cant just pop stars out of the oven. This is rnr not a boy band

Funny how suddenly everybody's a supporter while I've been the "asskisser" for years....

Just very ironic....
The difference is that although you are a fan, you dont think people who have issues with gnr or people who question Axl are fans. Whereas those people are fans as well.

maybe it's part of a plan that you simply don't understand because you don't really know anything about what's happening behind the scenes.  maybe there's any number of reasons for anything, and there's no point in speculation.  for years, everybody's wanted chinese democracy.  now they have it.  and yet there's still plenty to complain about.
I hate to break it to you but there really has been no plan.

for the record, WE aren't being negative.  just a few people who think that axl owes them something.  lots of us are perfectly happy to enjoy this amazing music and share that love with our friends.  i'm sorry that's not good enough for you.
most people can enjoy the music but still discuss the current situation at the same time.

hm... maybe we just a different opinion of what a fan is.  see, to me a fan is someone who says supportive things about the artists they admire.  fans don't spend hours and hours a day waitiing for any kind of bad news so they can post about it on the forum just to piss other people off -- other people who just want to feel good and have fun with their favorit eband.  to me a fan doesn't endlessly pester and criticize an artist for not being exactly what they're supposed to be.  you should listen to the lyrics to sorry.

a real fan should be like a real friend, able to support the highs but criticize the faults. If we're using lyrics to disseminate everyhting here, "the kiss ass sycophants throwin penance at your feet when they got nowhere to go watch em come in off the street"

wow, no offense, but you don't sound like a very good friend.  my friend's don't criticize me.  they support me and have faith in me.  as a FAN of axl rose's, i feel that way about him.  if you want to criticize someone, lash out at best buy for not promoting, the record company for not promoting, blame bucket for leaving and delaying recording, blame management for not getting it all sorted out perfectly, blame dr. pepper for making fun and failing to deliver on their promises.  but for fuck's sake, what's the point in blaming axl?  he's a musician.  he made beautiful, amazing, special music.  i'm very veyr sorry if that's not good enough for you, 'fan,' but maybe the problem is yours and not axl's.

you miss the point of what criticism means. If i screw up i expect people to call me on it, as a real friend would. A yes man tells me that it was someone elses fault. I have blamed best buy (but with the caevat that an economic meltdown puts their solvency at risk so they have to cut costs), i have blamed the label/ management-but the posts were deletd, i hated when bucket left because as per his work on the album he's amazing-but can understand because the album was nowehre near release and he went thru two riots and a couple cancelled tours, dr pepper plays no part in the grand scheme of tis....why blame Axl? he is the fulcrum through which everything guns n roses travels. To say blame all those other entities but leave Axl alone is the height of delusional sycophantism. To think he played no part in the departures, the delays, the mix ups, the failures is akin to 911 conspiracy theories about remote controlled airplanes. When it comes down to it, yes, there were other players in the drama that stood in the way, but the drama revolved around writing, recording and releasing a CD. And he was the main player in that drama, the beating heart, the breathing lungs.

well, then maybe here's the difference... i don't think axl's screwed up.  i think he's a singer and musician, and he released an amazing, landmark album for the ages.  i don't see that as 'screwing up' like you do.  so therefore, i do not feel the need to come here and do lots of helpful armchair criticizing. 

but it's so nice to read how you are willing to give everyone else the benefit of the doubt, but when it comes to axl, it's nothing but criticism.  it speaks volumes about you honestly.

because there's more to it then just having the album available on store shelves. Landmark album? i dont know; it could have been if he was able to fully break away from trying to satisfy old school GnR fans and take the whole album in the direction of sorry, prostitute, if the world, this i love....hell, in the review thread i compared the scope of CD to Beethoven's 9th, which is THE landmark ANYTHING in  western culture. So it was there, but he hasnt quite done it.

i've given Axl the benefit of the doubt since i first started listening, from when i heard-and still love-oh my god, to when i drove 12 hours to see a concert which ended in a riot, from when "i dont know if soon is the word",....i got an album i love, on the whole, but there's something missing. Him. I can give him the benefit of that doubt now to the point of maybe there's legal reason he cant talk, but once you start piling speculations upon each other, it's best to break out Occam's Razor...
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #485 on: December 06, 2008, 02:14:36 AM »

Bucket was marketable in GNR. I saw an 02 show in London and there were tons of people with the GNR/Bucket shirts. Could Fortus and Bumble be presented like that? Sure but when you constantly hear "no comments" in interviews it makes it seem like only Axl can say something and have it matter.

And how many interviews was Buckethead doing?

Seriously, the guys are in Guns N' Roses, they can talk if needed, they can play.

Why do you think people wouldn't recognize that?

/jarmo

I think they would if given the chance. It's like a lot of bands have many spokespeople and distinct personalities. You have Anthony and Flea in RHCP,Lars and James in Metallica.

Honestly,outside of the forums, who knows who Richard Fortus or Tommy Stinson are as it relates To GNR

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #486 on: December 06, 2008, 02:16:14 AM »

This band is behind the 8 ball from the start because they arent the old band. Axl needed to have someone to draw attention away from that. \

Have you heard the CD ? Axl doesn't need to market a guitar player cause of the old band.  The music itself is what distances the orginal band from today's.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #487 on: December 06, 2008, 02:17:51 AM »

bottom line

the album is good

the promo by best buy, the management and finally the band and axl has been very, very poor.

what rancid punx said is also very true.

if i mentioned ANY member of the current GnR line up (not axl) to a casual music/ rock fan they would have No fucking clue who they were, thats a shame

That is a shame. Though Slash ,Duf etc. didn't become household names overnight. Stinson should have more recognition , he has been in ten years. I showed my friends who are huge fans of rock in general a GNR pic and they couldn't recognize a member .Only thing they said was that Fortus looks like Izzy.

If you show a rock fan a pic of Metallica chances are he can name at least 2 guys even if they are not a big Tallica fan.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #488 on: December 06, 2008, 02:21:25 AM »

It's like a lot of bands have many spokespeople and distinct personalities. You have Anthony and Flea in RHCP,Lars and James in Metallica
Yea but GNR are in a different boat. Those guys are original members of their bands. People will focus on the lead guitarist in GNR because that is what was essentially replaced from the old band.

People think Axl broke up the old band so they are going to judge him on his new lead guitarist/s

Have you heard the CD ? Axl doesn't need to market a guitar player cause of the old band.  The music itself is what distances the orginal band from today's
As I have stated a few times. Unfortunately great music doesnt get people to buy albums these days. American r n r is based on the lead singer and the lead guitarist. Thats what people talk about when discussing bands.

IMO CD is GNRs 2nd best album of all time. IMo one version of the new lineup is the best version of GNR of all time. Your wrong though, IF(and maybe he doesnt), Axl cares about this kind of stuff then you have to bring the music to the people. It cant just be heard. It doesnt work like that these days to the avg music fan

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #489 on: December 06, 2008, 02:21:42 AM »

This band is behind the 8 ball from the start because they arent the old band. Axl needed to have someone to draw attention away from that. \

Have you heard the CD ? Axl doesn't need to market a guitar player cause of the old band.  The music itself is what distances the orginal band from today's.

Gotta bring the music to the people if you want them to buy it. Thus far, not enough has been done to get the attention of the average music listener.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #490 on: December 06, 2008, 02:28:26 AM »

I think honestly, Axl isn't talking because he doesn't want his album overshadowed by a million what happened to the old band/reunion questions he will be bombarded with once he does give interviews.

May well be true... But better to face shit with no regrets than to let the album be overshadowed by an absent singer and a soda law suit IMO.

Axl's silence and the Dr Pepper lawsuit is NOT overshadowing Chinese Democracy. For a look at the attention it's getting, go check out the Chinese Democracy review thread.

CNN front-page gets more hits than any of the places those reviews are. My local news site has had four GnR stories I've seen...

1) The album is coming.
2) Review on release (positive).

Then nothing.

Then...

3) Axl's nowhere to be seen.
4) Dr Pepper.

In other words, since the day of release, those two things are the only mentions they've had other than the weekly chart results.

Do you think it would have made your local news site if Axl was around giving interviews or if nothing was said about Dr Pepper? How many bands are frequently in your local news?

Plenty. They have an entertainment section.

And not all publicity is good publicity.

I'm confused, i thought the point was that "CNN front-page gets more hits than any of the places those reviews are," but now it's that not all publicity is good publicity?

How are those things exclusive? CNN front-page DOES get more hits than all those review sites, and Axl got on there via the Dr Pepper debacle, which is NOT good publicity.

Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #491 on: December 06, 2008, 02:36:55 AM »

Bucket was marketable in GNR. I saw an 02 show in London and there were tons of people with the GNR/Bucket shirts. Could Fortus and Bumble be presented like that? Sure but when you constantly hear "no comments" in interviews it makes it seem like only Axl can say something and have it matter.

Seriously, the guys are in Guns N' Roses, they can talk if needed, they can play.

/jarmo

I think they would if given the chance. It's like a lot of bands have many spokespeople and distinct personalities. You have Anthony and Flea in RHCP,Lars and James in Metallica.

Honestly,outside of the forums, who knows who Richard Fortus or Tommy Stinson are as it relates To GNR

Stinson should be known because of his Replacements background. Critics and music journalist certainly know him. I swear I remember reading an article on this site actually a year or two after Stinson joined the band basically stating that it was the band's plan to promote Tommy as the #2 guy after Axl (it was a pretty big deal when they got Tommy to sign on as I remember). Not sure anything ever really came of that... but given that the lead guitarist position is in constant flux... and Tommy has been in the band for 10 years, is one of the few who appear on nearly every track (13 out of 14) and is relatively known independently- it might be back to THAT plan for all we know...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
waxlrick
« Reply #492 on: December 06, 2008, 02:58:28 AM »

From an Aussie's perspective, promotion has been a dreadful failure for a band of this magnitude and for an album so long in the making. And I dont just blame the management.

Where is Axl? Is his silence some type of protest to the release of the album (or the way it has been released?) I dont think it sends a good message to the new and old supporters of GNR. But then, I guess we should be used to this by now...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:03:48 AM by waxlrick » Logged
McDuff
« Reply #493 on: December 06, 2008, 03:07:03 AM »

well all I know is that if Axl would get off of his ass and promote this album it would be selling better than it is now.  smoking
waxlrick
« Reply #494 on: December 06, 2008, 03:10:02 AM »

well all I know is that if Axl would get off of his ass and promote this album it would be selling better than it is now.  smoking

yep I would have to agree. Not that the sales are terrible......but they could be even better.

falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #495 on: December 06, 2008, 03:18:44 AM »

yep I would have to agree. Not that the sales are terrible......but they could be even better.

how lucky we are to have two marketing executives here to tell the pros how to do it.  thanks so much. 
waxlrick
« Reply #496 on: December 06, 2008, 03:25:06 AM »

how lucky we are to have two marketing executives here to tell the pros how to do it.  thanks so much. 

Thanks for the sarcasm Dopey.

Nobody is telling anybody to do anything. Just making an observation of the poor exposure the album has had based on what we've seen so far. You dont need to be a "pro" to see that.......
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:28:40 AM by waxlrick » Logged
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #497 on: December 06, 2008, 03:56:23 AM »

maybe they are not pros, and i dont know if Axl should be talking, its ok if he doesnt want. but you can argue whatever you want, but theres one point

this is not a monumental campaign! thats it.  and of course it looks more cheaper when you have a group of the magnitude of GNR.

gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #498 on: December 06, 2008, 03:57:11 AM »

Thanks for the sarcasm Dopey.

Nobody is telling anybody to do anything. Just making an observation of the poor exposure the album has had based on what we've seen so far. You dont need to be a "pro" to see that.......

indeed.
just releasing a simple music video would mean Axl wouldn't really need to do much more promotion then that,
i.e whore himself out to all the talk show hosts/ellen etc just to get publicity,
a music video would let the music speak for itself, and provide a visual stimulus in which people can identify Axl and the new band with, it would be a win win situation.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #499 on: December 06, 2008, 04:55:11 AM »

/jarmo

Honestly, you're obsessed with this. Can you count how many times you've attacked the band for not having personalities? You've made countless posts on mygnr, started hateful threads about it when not answered, seriously you should give it a rest. People will get to know the band better when they decide to put themselves out there, that's not your fucking job to demand. It's funny that you bring up Anthony and Flea from RHCP as distinct personalities, because I can't think of two more boring people in the whole wide world.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: