Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:31:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "We're launching with a monumental campaign"
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "We're launching with a monumental campaign"  (Read 156008 times)
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #320 on: December 02, 2008, 11:18:12 AM »

I respect Axl more than any musician out there. He is the only fucking person who doesn't sell out and still manages to get back on top, who still has the guts to go 100% his own way, not compromise himself at all and do the exact opposite of what people expect of him. I compare him to and place him up there with Bob Dylan. Both amazing rebels and songwriters who never sold out or did what was expected of them. Did you see Dylan whore himself to the media when his latest album dropped? They're both enigmatic recluses with integrity who doesn't think of being in a magazine or on TV as the greatest thing a musician can acchieve. I applaud Axl for the way he has handled this release. Everyone expected him to sell himself out to every media out there for the sake of sales, instead he let the music speak for itself and went his own way, not giving a fuck about what people would think. Now that's integrity.

"To hell with the pressure, I'm not cavin' in"

Axl Rose forever.

Music is a business and costs money to make art.  For those that don't  play ball, the home team will pick up the equipment and go home.  If Axl wants to walk and produce music on his own dime, that is certainly his right. But it is in everyone's best interest that this album is promoted properly and sells. Strong sales ensure a future for the music. 

Promotion is  not 'selling out', it is smart business.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #321 on: December 02, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »

Axl hasn't exactly drawn a lot of attention to himself in the media in the last 15 years.. I don't see how some are surprised that hasn't changed.

For me, the album is playing in my cd player right now and I couldn't be happier.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #322 on: December 02, 2008, 11:22:16 AM »

Axl hasn't exactly drawn a lot of attention to himself in the media in the last 15 years.. I don't see how some are surprised that hasn't changed.

For me, the album is playing in my cd player right now and I couldn't be happier.

Precisely the reason why he needs to put a face on this band.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #323 on: December 02, 2008, 11:24:29 AM »

Precisely the reason why he needs to put a face on this band.

Best thing he can do is take them out on the road.      The music really speaks for itself.. this is one of those albums people will continue to discover over time and will end up a classic.   Many of these songs are already classics to many of us.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #324 on: December 02, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »

What I don't understand and I hope somebody can explain this to me.  Why in 2006 Axl was out it seemed promoting Chinese Democracy ? I mean there was that little article in Rolling Stone of him explaining that it may not sound like guns n roses but you will atleast like some of the songs ect.  Then he goes on Eddie Trunk, along with a appearance on the VMA's.  It seemed as though the CD was gonna come out then, just with the public appearances.  Well now the CD is out and we haven't seen him ? I just kind of find it funny.  Why be out in the public in 06 and not in 08 when the album actually drops.  I respect Axl's decision on not doing any appearances, I love the album, I just thought it was kind of intresting.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #325 on: December 02, 2008, 12:44:16 PM »

What I don't understand and I hope somebody can explain this to me.  Why in 2006 Axl was out it seemed promoting Chinese Democracy ? I mean there was that little article in Rolling Stone of him explaining that it may not sound like guns n roses but you will atleast like some of the songs ect.  Then he goes on Eddie Trunk, along with a appearance on the VMA's.  It seemed as though the CD was gonna come out then, just with the public appearances.  Well now the CD is out and we haven't seen him ? I just kind of find it funny.  Why be out in the public in 06 and not in 08 when the album actually drops.  I respect Axl's decision on not doing any appearances, I love the album, I just thought it was kind of intresting.

Unfortunately, only Axl could really answer that for you - and he ain't talking.  In 2006 I'm sure he believed it was coming out, and he was excited about it.  But since we know practically nothing of what's gone on behind the scenes since December 2006, there's really no way of knowing why he hasn't done anything to promote it now.  Doesn't really make sense that he would sabotage his own project to spite the record company over something, but who knows?!?!?  Huh 
John Galt
Rocker

Peace Sells... But still no one is buying goddamit

« Reply #326 on: December 02, 2008, 12:46:40 PM »

Ever thought that for Axl, just getting the music out there was the main thing - I am guessing he is hardly strapped for cash and feels he will let the music (if people concentrate on the lyrics) kind of speak for him.  So maybe its not major he's not done anything..  I guess you could read and interpret so many things into aspects of this release, promotion, and packaging - but life is too short to worry about all that ....
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #327 on: December 02, 2008, 12:53:56 PM »

Ever thought that for Axl, just getting the music out there was the main thing - I am guessing he is hardly strapped for cash and feels he will let the music (if people concentrate on the lyrics) kind of speak for him. 

Do you really think that Axl doesn't care how many copies this sells?  Maybe not because he needs the money, but for sake of his ego.  I think if nothing else, he would want to show everyone that he could recapture the magic of Guns N' Roses without his old band mates.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #328 on: December 02, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. People on here talk about Axl not "whoring himself out to the media."  That's fine, but it certainly seemed like he was promoting the band in 2006.  He even went on the VMA's, did his "Do you know where the fuck you are", and introduced the Killers (ironic considering the current chart situation).  Now I don't consider that "whoring yourself out".  But in 2008 we have zero public appearances or even photos and this is the year Chinese Democracy actually gets released.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #329 on: December 02, 2008, 02:13:47 PM »

maybe uncertainty inside the band is making it hard to make a video and go on tour.
nobody knows if Finck and Brain will be back, so it might be a little difficult for Axl to create a new face on this band.
anyway, I hope the problems solve themselves and we hear something soon from the band!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #330 on: December 03, 2008, 12:16:34 AM »

I think the band situation has had an effect in all of this. I remember back in I think April, when we learned Robin left, how the spin team said over and over that Gnr willl roll right along and that his departure wouldnt effect an album release.

I love the whole "Axl doesnt whore himself out" theory as well. Doing an interview or two, releasing a music video, and maybe even doing a live performance ISNT whoring yourself out. Come back to earth people. Get real.

Everytime new GnR did something, Axl was there in good spirits PROMOTING what the band was up to. (2002 vmas, korn party, 2002 tour radio interviews, eddie trunk, etc). Where were the whoring threads back then?

There is clearly some sort of problem with Axl and the release of CD. Add in the fact that Robin and Bucket are gone makes it even worse.

I think the album will be fine in the long run. Its too great of an album not to do well. But it can only do so much until people actually hear the material. 

Best Buy needs to shove GNR down the publics throat like Wal Mart did with ACDC. The radio and TV ads need to pick up. People need to be hearing these commercials of the riffs and music in their sleep.

I really hope a GNR display case holding CD wasnt what they meant when they said monumental campaign. SOmething has to be coming.

---
As I re read my post, it dawned on me....and I asked myself what the hell is GNR? Is it a band? Is it just Axl? And that is coming from one of their biggest fans! Imagine what the general public thinks? And its ashame because this album was truly a band effort. Yea there were a lot of cooks in the kitchen but after the dust settled the 2002 lineup along with Tobias is the driving force behind this album.

Its getting harder to get into the whole band thing as the lineup keeps changing. Yea, I know, GNR will roll right along. bla bla bla.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:35:20 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #331 on: December 03, 2008, 01:11:02 AM »

I think the band situation has had an effect in all of this. I remember back in I think April, when we learned Robin left, how the spin team said over and over that Gnr willl roll right along and that his departure wouldnt effect an album release.

I love the whole "Axl doesnt whore himself out" theory as well. Doing an interview or two, releasing a music video, and maybe even doing a live performance ISNT whoring yourself out. Come back to earth people. Get real.

Everytime new GnR did something, Axl was there in good spirits PROMOTING what the band was up to. (2002 vmas, korn party, 2002 tour radio interviews, eddie trunk, etc). Where were the whoring threads back then?

There is clearly some sort of problem with Axl and the release of CD. Add in the fact that Robin and Bucket are gone makes it even worse.

I think the album will be fine in the long run. Its too great of an album not to do well. But it can only do so much until people actually hear the material. 

Best Buy needs to shove GNR down the publics throat like Wal Mart did with ACDC. The radio and TV ads need to pick up. People need to be hearing these commercials of the riffs and music in their sleep.

I really hope a GNR display case holding CD wasnt what they meant when they said monumental campaign. SOmething has to be coming.

---
As I re read my post, it dawned on me....and I asked myself what the hell is GNR? Is it a band? Is it just Axl? And that is coming from one of their biggest fans! Imagine what the general public thinks? And its ashame because this album was truly a band effort. Yea there were a lot of cooks in the kitchen but after the dust settled the 2002 lineup along with Tobias is the driving force behind this album.

Its getting harder to get into the whole band thing as the lineup keeps changing. Yea, I know, GNR will roll right along. bla bla bla.

Its a very good album, doesn't mean its meant to sell a lot of records.  AC/DC had the greatest protion I have ever seen and Rock N Roll train was a great single for them!
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #332 on: December 03, 2008, 01:53:25 AM »

Does anybody think Axl is kinda of pissed off with the way Best Buy has promoted the CD ? I mean I've seen only 3 commericals and its all been after the release.  I heard story that some Best Buy's didn't really have that great of set ups and display's for Chinese Democracy.  I know im probaly wrong but I was wondering if this crossed anybody's mind ?

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #333 on: December 03, 2008, 03:49:44 AM »

I find it fascinating that so many of you are disappointed with Axl not living up to who you want him to be. Or behave in a way you would like him to. 

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
TWT
Rocker

GNR's next lead guitarist

« Reply #334 on: December 03, 2008, 05:21:58 AM »

Has anyone even bothered pointing out that Greatest Hits was a massive commercial success even though the only 'campaign' from the 'band' was to join together in demanding it be withdrawn from release? On top of that, the track selection was generally considered, by fans and critics alike, to be rubbish. CD has underperformed so far because of scathing reviews and being released in the Christmas market. It's happening to other acts. Kanye West missing out on the top ten in the UK simply wouldn't happen at any other time of year. If CD had been released in early January it would have been No.1 for two or three weeks on those sales. Get over it and keep enjoying the album  ok
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #335 on: December 03, 2008, 06:26:08 AM »

^ from what I remember, Greatest Hits had a lot of promotion.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #336 on: December 03, 2008, 07:01:36 AM »

I find it fascinating that so many of you are disappointed with Axl not living up to who you want him to be. Or behave in a way you would like him to. 

I find it fascinating that you don't understand why people would like to see their favorite rock star on TV or read interviews with him when he's just released his first major album in 17 years.

And there goes the challenger...
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #337 on: December 03, 2008, 09:20:02 AM »

I find it fascinating that you don't understand why people would like to see their favorite rock star on TV or read interviews with him when he's just released his first major album in 17 years.
I find it humorous how fans are forced to defend themselves to other 'fans' on this board constantly, just because they want to discuss their hopes, thoughts, etc.  If you don't like the topic, don't read the posts.  I think this 'monumental campaign' has been less than I expected, and I can see how anybody else would have also had expectations of Axl ,et al, perhaps making some appearances and such.  peace

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #338 on: December 03, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »

I agree that it's nothing like a monumental campaign.  A tour is a standard measure for any band at even grass roots level to promote an album.  No sign ofa tour.  Other bands might do a few tv spots.  No tv spots.  Even lesser-known bands seem to release videos or even live DVD's.  Neither have come from GN'R.

This isn't a criticism but I'm not going to give Axl praise either.  The only thing we can do is what we've been doing for the last x years and keep living our lives...

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
mrarkadin
Headliner

« Reply #339 on: December 03, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »

Seems like it's pretty nice to have: new Guns N Roses songs on the radio; new album released in the last few weeks featured prominently on Itunes, Myspace; prominent print ads in Rolling Stone, Best Buy and others; TV spots on prime time during Sunday Night and Monday Night football. A new album that has gathered more than a few very strong notices. #1 and 2 openings in more than a few countries and top five in many more. To me, that's something I never thought I'd see again for Guns N Roses. It helps, too, that we all genuinely like the album.

Failure and success are pretty relative. To me, this is a good time.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:23:57 PM by mrarkadin » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: